Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, I'm playing through Dragon's Dogma now and loving it. It's a Japanese dev take on Skyrim, basically, and the good far outweighs the bad. The only problem I have with it is it "feels" long. I spend hours playing it because I like it, but I'm aware of those hours, unlike some other games where the time disappears.

Today is gonna be crazy. Ni no Kuni, MGR demo, Max Payne 3 DLC, The Cave...argh, too much good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Samurai Sanders posted:

That game does archery so very, very right. I normally hate playing archer characters in action RPGs because it feels like I am plinking the enemies to death with toothpicks, but not here. Arrows go BAM!! and knock enemies into next week.
Yep. I freaking love the magic archer class. It also does rogues totally right, and the magic archer's "light myself on fire and climb around an enemy's crotch like the worst STD in the world" skill gets my vote for Most Unique Skill Of All Time.

... but. It would be lying to say it's totally polished, or that it isn't without massive flaws. It has that quirky weirdness where you have to be able to look past some issues.

I loved it the second the tutorial started, when I picked up the tutorial "buddy" they were cramming down your throat, turned around, and pitched him off a cliff to his death. AND THE GAME JUST KEPT ROLLING. It was totally ok with me doing that, or anything else.

Unrelated - Divekick is coming to PSN. It's hitting PS3 and Vita, so I'd lay fair odds that it got a PubFund deal. From parody to PSN release.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Yep. I freaking love the magic archer class. It also does rogues totally right, and the magic archer's "light myself on fire and climb around an enemy's crotch like the worst STD in the world" skill gets my vote for Most Unique Skill Of All Time.

... but. It would be lying to say it's totally polished, or that it isn't without massive flaws. It has that quirky weirdness where you have to be able to look past some issues.

I loved it the second the tutorial started, when I picked up the tutorial "buddy" they were cramming down your throat, turned around, and pitched him off a cliff to his death. AND THE GAME JUST KEPT ROLLING. It was totally ok with me doing that, or anything else.

So many good things in Dragon's Dogma. Like how your height and weight actually affect gameplay. If you're a big fat guy you can actually jump onto a flying enemy to prevent them from taking off by weighing them down. Meanwhile a small and light character gets thrown around by explosions or picked up and dropped by flying enemies (hopefully your pawn will loving catch you) but have stamina bonuses. One of my favorite moments in the game was trying to traverse this extremely windy and narrow passage, the wind was so strong that my lightweight assassin could barely make any forward progress... until I picked up my pawn to weigh me down and hauled rear end. At least until the wolves attacked.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

AngryBooch posted:

One of my favorite moments in the game was trying to traverse this extremely windy and narrow passage, the wind was so strong that my lightweight assassin could barely make any forward progress... until I picked up my pawn to weigh me down and hauled rear end. At least until the wolves attacked.

Holy poo poo I had no idea you could to that. That would have saved me so much time!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also, in DD, night is scary. In most RPGs with a day/night cycle, night is basically the same as day but with the blue/green palette swapped out for grey/grey. In DD, the enemies all change, undead assaults you constantly, and you can't see five feet in front of your face. If your mission takes too long and night falls before you get back, you'd better be ready for the possibility that you could lose all your progress.

That said, towards the end you get so good at fighting at night that it's no more difficult than the day, but I LOVED those first few times going out at night.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 22, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

AngryBooch posted:

So many good things in Dragon's Dogma. Like how your height and weight actually affect gameplay. If you're a big fat guy you can actually jump onto a flying enemy to prevent them from taking off by weighing them down. Meanwhile a small and light character gets thrown around by explosions or picked up and dropped by flying enemies (hopefully your pawn will loving catch you) but have stamina bonuses. One of my favorite moments in the game was trying to traverse this extremely windy and narrow passage, the wind was so strong that my lightweight assassin could barely make any forward progress... until I picked up my pawn to weigh me down and hauled rear end. At least until the wolves attacked.

That makes so much sense and just makes me love the game more.

Also, as said before, night is loving TERRIFYING. A lantern is required and it still doesn't help you see more than 8 feet out. Also, one time, I was stumbling around in the dark and some asshat lich levitated in the air and wiped out my party.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, in DD, night is scary. In most RPGs with a day/night cycle, night is basically the same as day but with the blue/green palette swapped out for grey/grey. In DD, the enemies all change, undead assaults you constantly, and you can't see five feet in front of your face. If your mission takes too long and night falls before you get back, you'd better be ready for the possibility that you could lose all your progress.

That said, towards the end you get so good at fighting at night that it's no more difficult than the day, but I LOVED those first few times going out at night.

Oh god yes, just thinking about trying to get someplace safe before nightfall makes me want to go back and play again. The first time through I remember taking a wrong turn at certain points and wandering around in the dark looking for that camp with a safe area, only to be ambushed by a drake. I even spent the night just waiting in the bandit stronghold because I didn't want to try to brave the dark and the crazy undead that claw from the ground at your feet. Can't wait to see what Dark Arisen brings with it, there's a reason Dragon's Dogma was up there with XCOM and Dishonored for my favorite game of last year.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So anyone heard of this prior? It actually looks kinda... good?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/21/mmo-shooter-defiance-coming-to-ps3-no-monthly-fee/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Was this announced before?

Special editions of The Last Of Us.

$80 edition with an artbook (170 pages), first issue of a tie-in comic, steelbook, stickers, and some digital non-game content (Soundtrack, avatars, theme.)

Then there's a $150 version with a statue, the comic, steelbook, the same DLC as above, stickers, and a different DLC with in-game stuff. No art book though, for some reason.

The TV show has a surprisingly good cast too.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 22, 2013

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516602

They just had a beta weekend on the PC. In a nutshell, the game has a long way to go but has potential. It might be ready for April but more than likely not. Definitely not worth the $60 price tag. And since Sony and Microsoft don't want to play nice all three versions will be split which is stupid as hell since supposedly in-game events can affect future episodes of the show.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Aphrodite posted:

Was this announced before?

Special editions of The Last Of Us.

$80 edition with an artbook (170 pages), first issue of a tie-in comic, steelbook, stickers, and some digital non-game content (Soundtrack, avatars, theme.)

Then there's a $150 version with a statue, the comic, steelbook, the same DLC as above, stickers, and a different DLC with in-game stuff. No art book though, for some reason.

That looks cool. The $80 edition at least. Seems like it's well worth it considering the artbook MSRP is going to be set at $40.

Hopefully I can preorder at Amazon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm kind of annoyed, because I don't really care about any of the stuff in the $150 edition that aren't in the $80, except that drat DLC.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I just tried Playstation Home for the first time since it originally launched. Is this thing seriously still in Beta in the year 2013?

Also, whatever happened to the Life With Playstation app?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cyra posted:

I just tried Playstation Home for the first time since it originally launched. Is this thing seriously still in Beta in the year 2013?

Sony keeps the "beta" tag on Home because, according to them, Home is a perpetually changing thing and will never be "complete". I'm dead serious.

They did actually remove the beta tag briefly when Version 2.0 came out.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes.
The link to download it went away with the latest firmware update last November. I don't know if the app still works if it was installed before November.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Turns out both DLCs listed as part of the Last of Us special editions are actually preorder bonuses, so you can still get them with the $80 version or even the regular game.

The Sights and Sounds (Non game) DLC is for preordering from anywhere, the Survival DLC is for Gamestop specifically.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yechezkel posted:

Yes.
The link to download it went away with the latest firmware update last November. I don't know if the app still works if it was installed before November.

Nope. It tells you 'show's over' and go update to remove the icon.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Nope. It tells you 'show's over' and go update to remove the icon.
Why did they do this? Does Sony have a problem with curing cancer or something?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cyra posted:

Why did they do this? Does Sony have a problem with curing cancer or something?

1) The agreement with Stanford is probably definitely over.

2) Folding on a PS3 isn't remotely the best use of your electricity anymore, and they may have gotten in under some energy regulation cap somehow by removing it.

3) Something else I'm not thinking of. I didn't read up on this too hard, admittedly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea Dogma has a bunch of neat little things, like there's an ogre boss that you're told likes females or something and if you're using a female char he goes absolutely apeshit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Alteisen posted:

Yea Dogma has a bunch of neat little things, like there's an ogre boss that you're told likes females or something and if you're using a female char he goes absolutely apeshit.

Also a gang of female thieves who will instantly attack you on sight, unless your party consists of women, in which case you blend in. Men can also blend in, assuming they wear a pretty dress you can buy from a specialty shop.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Shalinor posted:

... but all the glowing praise you've heard still applies. It still feels a lot like Dark Souls combat, and there is NOTHING out there that can top its magic system. This is the only action RPG in the world that makes mages feel truly badass in a very Mage way.

Yeah, wizards are hilarious in DD. Only problem I have with them is once they're mostly upgraded battles just turn into stalling for time until they finish their spell and annihilate everything.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Shalinor posted:

[Dragon's Dogma] still feels a lot like Dark Souls combat,

I can't say I agree with this. Dark Souls is much more focused on singling out enemies and the movesets are small but extremely focused. With Dragon's Dogma you can really tell that it is made by the Japanese Devil May Cry team, there are large movesets with delay strings, animation cancels and juggles. There is no lock on and you will be taking on groups of enemies without worring about being hit from the sides or behind. Dragon's Dogma is about creating a moveset for yourself and exploiting the variety of tools you have to the fullest against groups of enemies, whereas Dark Souls has you controlling an incredibly smartly designed small moveset to methodically fight smaller, more threatening, groups of enemies.

Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls both have fantastic combat, I just wish Dragon's Dogma had a higher quality game surrounding it. It's totally worth playing if you like action games, character building and exploration though, just try and do what you have to do in towns as quickly as possible.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
How is the frame rate in the release version of Dragon's Dogma? I really loved the demo, but it was like a slideshow most of the time. Have patches improved the performance in a substantial way?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing I didn't really like about Dragon's Dogma was just how long it took to get anything done. Its a prime example as to why fast travel is a thing that exists in RPGs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The three unequivocal truths of the PS3 games thread:

1) Just Cause 2 rules
2) Dragon's Dogma is flawed, but super enjoyable
3) Buy Dark Souls

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The only thing I didn't really like about Dragon's Dogma was just how long it took to get anything done. Its a prime example as to why fast travel is a thing that exists in RPGs.

Man, Far Cry 3 would have sucked without fast travel.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

The three unequivocal truths of the PS3 games thread:

1) Just Cause 2 rules
2) Dragon's Dogma is flawed, but super enjoyable
3) Buy Dark Souls

4) Play the Uncharted games in order

Or is that not true anymore?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Can you elaborate on the incompetence? I've heard nothing but great things about this game from everyone who's played it.

While I enjoyed the things that everyone liked about the game (combat, big monsters, lots of customization, the crazy endgame etc..) there was just a massive pile of bad design in in between. It really felt like the people who made it had absolutely no idea how to make a western style open world game.

I'll just do this in list form.

-The missions mostly sucked. Some of them were designed so poorly it broke my brain. I specifically remember one where they tell you to run across the whole map just to talk to a guy for a second and then you run back across the map to where you just were. That was one of the worst, but there were plenty of bad missions throughout
-The inventory and loot was crap. I have never seen a game so bloated with thousands of borderline useless items. Enemies don't drop armor or weapons either , so outside of a few random boxes that carry items, you will pretty much just be buying your gear at the store the entire time.
-Aside from the monsters, the world was small and bland. There are very few landmarks and the ones that are there aren't very exciting. The city is mostly empty and there is nothing to do there aside from a few shops and a hotel.
-The map is designed as a bottleneck where you will have to trek though the same level 1 path at least 50 times over the course of the game.
-And last but not least, the difficulty curve is what killed it for me. It starts out as the hardest, cheapest thing ever, but about half way through the game you will be leveled up enough that there is literally no challenge to be found anywhere. You can just cut through the whole map like butter and it's boring as hell.

There are more things I could list but those are the main things that killed it for me.

Maybe it's too extreme to say the game isn't worth playing because of these issues, but I certainly wouldn't call it a good game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 23, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jjaarreett posted:

Nope, it's all about biometrics and asses these days.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Jjaarreett posted:

It is law.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Nope, it's all about biometrics and asses these days.

I probably wouldn't be nearly as amused with the thread title if I didn't see the whole thing unfold, but now every time I do, I can't help but chuckle.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Far Cry 3 would have sucked without fast travel.

This wouldn't be true if I could get some tattoos that gave me stupid vehicle skills. Tattoo that gives me nitrous plus tattoo that lets cars and ATVs clip through trees please. Tattoo for stupid good traction up hills.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

Can you elaborate on the incompetence? I've heard nothing but great things about this game from everyone who's played it.

If you love video games about running marathons then Dragon's Dogma is the game for you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not so much that the travel in DD is huge and unbearable as it is that it gets huge and unbearable if you don't carefully plan your trips.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's not so much that the travel in DD is huge and unbearable as it is that it gets huge and unbearable if you don't carefully plan your trips.
That trip between your starting town and the main city is something you have to do six hundred million times no matter what, and they aren't even very far away on map distance, but the two possible paths are both all squiggly. That's the killer bit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst part of that trip was how quickly the enemies just became annoyances rather than any kind of threat.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I made the mistake of deciding to check out Bluemoon Tower waaay before I was supposed to and it turns out that's about an hour long round trip from the capital. :shepface:

I really like the general idea they were going for, though. Trips outside town feel like real adventures rather than point a -> point b stuff, but they definitely went a little too far in that direction in certain spots.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That first trip to the frontier wall, I forget its name, was one of the most epic experiences I have had in a game. It felt like I was taking my beginning character and her equally green party members on a trip into an unknown that I KNOW is full of things that can kill us all, thanks to the game's complete lack of level scaling or anything. No Elder Scrolls game has ever delivered that kind of experience to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

You jerks are really making me want to play Dragon's Dogma. I did a really early mock review of it back in mid/late 2011, but never got the chance to see how it all turned out and now I'm really regretting it. For all the game's faults, it was really nice to play a fantasy game that wasn't westernized, or at the very least felt like The Elder Scrolls as seen through a Japanese prism.

• Locked thread