Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a list of recommended USB DVD drives to use with Macs? Assuming ones that can be run power over USB and aren't incompatible for some weird reason.

Nope, they all mostly work OOTB; here's one I bought when it was on sale, burns and boots on everything I've tested it on, from a first gen MBA to a Mac Pro 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is it possible to put a Sandisk SSD into a Mac Mini?

And is there a chart of the performance difference between the two Minis? The dual i5 vs quad i7. I don't know if the $200 is worth the performance or not.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is it possible to put a Sandisk SSD into a Mac Mini?
You can put almost any SSD you want in a Mini. And you can get a kit to run a SSD+HD

quote:

And is there a chart of the performance difference between the two Minis? The dual i5 vs quad i7. I don't know if the $200 is worth the performance or not.
You can see benchmarks for the i5 vs i7 here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2013250/lab-tested-2012-mac-mini-gets-a-nice-speed-boost.html

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Quick question: I have an old Macbook that needs a new power adapter. It looks like there's a couple of generic replacement power adapters on Amazon in the $20-30 range that all have pretty mediocre reviews, but then the $80 official Apple version has even worse reviews on Apple's own site. I should probably just roll the dice on one of the cheaper ones, right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Inside Outside posted:

Quick question: I have an old Macbook that needs a new power adapter. It looks like there's a couple of generic replacement power adapters on Amazon in the $20-30 range that all have pretty mediocre reviews, but then the $80 official Apple version has even worse reviews on Apple's own site. I should probably just roll the dice on one of the cheaper ones, right?

Have you considered going used? I'd check craigslist/ebay/my friends for a used Apple adapter on the cheap before I'd shell out the same money for an unlicensed 3rd party version.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inside Outside posted:

the $80 official Apple version has even worse reviews on Apple's own site.
The only people that review it are the people who broke theirs and are mad that Apple doesn't replace them for using it as nunchucks, rapelling rope, or a cat toy.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
I am sure this has been covered at some point in this humongous thread but has anyone gotten a bootcamped Windows 7 install to look good on a 15" MBP retina? OSX looks sinfully good but Win7 either looks miniscule at 2800 (but sharp) or blurry at 1920 (but readable).

I just want my Win7 to look as nice as the OSX side for when I have to use it for work =(

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mac Pro should absolutely be available with consumer level (read: sanely priced) hardware. Put the server hardware on the server model. If cook has any brains that's what he'd be planning.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Mac Pro should absolutely be available with consumer level (read: sanely priced) hardware. Put the server hardware on the server model. If cook has any brains that's what he'd be planning.

That's what the iMac is for.

The only thing 'server' (workstation, really) about the Mac Pro is the Xeons and the ECC RAM. The drat thing comes with SATA drives and a consumer video card.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Super very doubtful they'd do that. It's not a high margin environment, and there is really almost no reason for people to pay the extra $ to buy Apple over self built with hackintosh, if that is what they want. **

If they want to go after consumers (read: gamers/enthusiasts) who aren't interested in server grade equipment, they should embrace Thunderbolt enclosures very hard. Mac mini + enclosure for those who want a desktop PC, and have a monitor setup. iMac for those who want a desktop all-in-one with ability to game/raid/whatever.

The only reason they probably wouldn't fully support this is due to how ugly it is compared to an all-in-one setup.

**- With regards to a computer which would house a full graphics card- that is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't think that the external GPU thing will ever catch on, it's just silly when you think about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

I don't think that the external GPU thing will ever catch on, it's just silly when you think about it.

Yeah- honestly, it seems like integrated GPUs will have matured to a point where they'd be sufficient for most "best get yourself something with discrete graphics" tasks before any legitimate commercial product worth investing in enters the market.

Look at the strides Intel's been making with their integrated GPUs- hell, every recent revision of the Macbook Air since 2010 has had 50-100+% performance gains over its predecessor and the near future doesn't show any signs of that changing.

External GPUs and their assorted paraphernalia are only ever going to serve a colossally niche market at best.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

External GPUs and their assorted paraphernalia are only ever going to serve a colossally niche market at best.

My take on it is something like this:

In the first place, only high-end laptops will support the feature - like the Air or Pro. So you're already paying a premium for this feature.

Add the cost of a TB cable, the dock, the external power supply, and a high-end video card to go in it, and you're probably at the point where you could have just bought another computer.

Gamers might be idiots who pay for ridiculous stuff like red LED lights, anodized aluminium RAM heat sinks, and stupid water cooling setups but none of them aren't going to shell out big bucks for a weird hybrid laptop setup that only gets them 75% of what a much, much cheaper desktop would.

If they need portability they can get a gamer laptop. Adding an external box to a smaller laptop really just makes it less portable.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if Apple/someone else might ever build a video card into a Thunderbolt display, which would streamline things significantly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

I wonder if Apple/someone else might ever build a video card into a Thunderbolt display, which would streamline things significantly.

A display has a much longer usable life than a video card.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bob Morales posted:

You can put almost any SSD you want in a Mini. And you can get a kit to run a SSD+HD

You can see benchmarks for the i5 vs i7 here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2013250/lab-tested-2012-mac-mini-gets-a-nice-speed-boost.html

Two discreet drives in the enclosure or like a Fusion drive?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Two discreet drives in the enclosure or like a Fusion drive?

Two drives, if you do SSD+HD you can fuse them together

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Totally speculative, but is the consensus that Apple will do retina on larger screens as well, like on the iMacs? I'm not talking about this next generation or even the generation after that, but would it be reasonable to presume that's the direction the desktops will head as well, once retina manufacturing improves?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I don't see why they wouldn't, honestly. Apple has shown a desire to put retina screens on as many of their devices as possible if costs permit, and them adding retina to iMacs/T-bolt displays wouldn't be far fetched. Let's not forget that Apple also cares about being a "boutique" brand, and what's more boutique than some fancy-rear end shiny thing that makes your stuff look more expensive and pretty?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Totally speculative, but is the consensus that Apple will do retina on larger screens as well, like on the iMacs? I'm not talking about this next generation or even the generation after that, but would it be reasonable to presume that's the direction the desktops will head as well, once retina manufacturing improves?

Well, I'm sure Apple will eventually do that. But to make a 'Retina' 21.5" iMac you'd end up with a 3840x1080 screen, and a 27" would end up being 5120x2880 - insane resolutions. Can Thunderbolt handle it? Can video cards push it?

There are rumors about what's going to happen with the current Thunderbolt displays because supplies were low. Some people suggested they were getting a re-design to be super-thin like the new iMacs.

There's also the supposed Mac Pro refresh coming (later next year, whatever the gently caress that means). So in a perfect world you're getting a Mac Pro with a GeForce 780 and 27" newly refreshed Retina displays. Then once the iMac and portables are refreshed they'll be able to run those externally as well. But you'll have to have a Pro for a while, so that Apple can sell as many of those fuckers as they can.

Remember when the original LCD cinema displays came out they were like $3,000 so it wouldn't be too crazy for Apple to sell them at a price over that of the current cinema display.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The only people that review it are the people who broke theirs and are mad that Apple doesn't replace them for using it as nunchucks, rapelling rope, or a cat toy.

This isn't right. Those wires wear so quickly. Shoddily made stuff.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I take very good care of mine and it's still pretty dirty looking and has a permanent angle near the L connector. I can't say enough about how awesome the magsafe connector is but the cord itself could be better I guess. I don't think they're willing to make sacrifices to the form of it honestly. I'm dreading my next laptop having the T style connector. The L is clearly superior.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Speak for yourself. A lot of people don't seem to know that you can wrap the wires around these little wire holders (or what they're called) on the power adapter for transport. Another factor is that dissatisfied people are way more likely to leave rabidly negative reviews. Every tech product sold on Amazon with more than five reviews will have at least one one-star review going "ARRIVED BROKEN... CRAP!".

Reviews on seller's sites are not representative of the population.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

A display has a much longer usable life than a video card.

This is very true and it also bugs me about iMacs and a potential Apple TV set. I'd like it better if the "computer parts" (basically everything that isn't the display) of an iMac could be replaced while keeping the display. This would also be stupid about an Apple TV set. It's easy to just replace the little Apple TV box as it is now, but it's stupid to have a whole TV set that lasts 5-10 years or more stuck with a built-in logic that becomes obsolete after 2-3 years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flavor posted:

This is very true and it also bugs me about iMacs and a potential Apple TV set. I'd like it better if the "computer parts" (basically everything that isn't the display) of an iMac could be replaced while keeping the display. This would also be stupid about an Apple TV set. It's easy to just replace the little Apple TV box as it is now, but it's stupid to have a whole TV set that lasts 5-10 years or more stuck with a built-in logic that becomes obsolete after 2-3 years.

Have a 3-year old Bravia that came with TV streaming etc built in. I can still use Amazon, Netflix, Hulu+.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

flavor posted:

Speak for yourself. A lot of people don't seem to know that you can wrap the wires around these little wire holders (or what they're called) on the power adapter for transport. Another factor is that dissatisfied people are way more likely to leave rabidly negative reviews. Every tech product sold on Amazon with more than five reviews will have at least one one-star review going "ARRIVED BROKEN... CRAP!".

Reviews on seller's sites are not representative of the population.

Apple had to pay out of class action lawsuit for fraying damage, it's mainly because the Magsafe adapter does not use thick enough wire/cable strain relief for the power adapter to safe weight and reduce bulk.

Compared to the uglier PC power bricks it's nowhere as robust, you pretty much have to carefully wrap it up every packing time to avoid cable damage.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
My computer fancy of the week is to sell everything I have and consolidate to a MBA 11", a Thunderbolt display, and an external hard drive.

Help me goons :( It's worth mentioning that I already have the MBA and the money I'd make from selling the other products would pay for the Thunderbolt, but drat, that poo poo is expensive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The TB Display is still on USB 2. If I'm spending that much I'd wait for it to be updated.

You can get this Dell for $650
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-...ds=dell+u2713hm

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 23, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

My computer fancy of the week is to sell everything I have and consolidate to a MBA 11", a Thunderbolt display, and an external hard drive.

Help me goons :( It's worth mentioning that I already have the MBA and the money I'd make from selling the other products would pay for the Thunderbolt, but drat, that poo poo is expensive.

If you're only after a sexy monitor and not the TB display itself, you can go MBA + korean 27 inch + external HDDs. It's pretty loving awesome- but so is the TB display, aside from lack of USB3.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Is anyone using the Apple batteries for their trackpad and keyboard? I picked them up, because I figured they would be quality and I was sick of buying a shitload of batteries for things. However, they seem to last a REALLY short time. I just replaced the ones in my keyboard on the 15th, and they're already down to 44%. That's about 2 weeks between replacements, and that's with it remaining unused most of the time. For comparison, just some basic Energizers lasted a good 2+ months.

Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sounds like bad batteries. They are just rebranded Sanyo Eneloops and they've been working fine for me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

I didn't see anything in the OP and macrumours doesn't seem to cover it, so here goes:

I'm looking to buy a time capsule. Is now a good time to buy one or could there be a new one looming on the horizon? I know the usual schedule of iPhones but I don't know if the time capsule has any sort of schedule...

Any thoughts on this?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The TB Display is still on USB 2. If I'm spending that much I'd wait for it to be updated.

You can get this Dell for $650
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-...ds=dell+u2713hm

Yeah should work since the Display port standard works with Thunderbolt just fine, it's a good way to avoid having to buy the apple $1000 TB monitor.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

nwin posted:

Any thoughts on this?

Here's a really good quote from the OP that people should read more often:

---
If you need something, buy it. If it's updated this week, you can return and upgrade.

If you don't need it, wait until you do; guaranteed it'll be a better value than it is now. At worst, it's the same.

Nobody knows when Apple's going to do poo poo. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.
---

There are some expectations that Apple will integrate the 802.11ac standard in its new machines this year. If that happens, I'd expect them to update their routers and time capsules along with it.

If you have any real backup needs, you probably won't want to wait until the third quarter of this year or so.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a Mac (twice actually tonight.) Been looking at the Mac Mini's and bought the base model on Amazon, of course 30 minutes later I got a notice that they had refurbs available at the Apple Store, so I cancelled my Amazon order and grabbed a refurb. (80 bucks is 80 bucks, I can wait a few days.)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Am I SOL driving a KVM with a full sized Apple aluminum keyboard that doesn't have a scroll lock key? The KVM doesn't have any buttons either I don't think.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bimmi posted:

Apple used to have a "low end" on its towers which was effectively abandoned with the introduction of the Mac Pro.

The modern equivalent of my old blue & white Power Mac doesn't exist: iMac crept up to swallow that price point, and tough poo poo if you hate the form factor I guess.

A marginally expandable box sans monitor seems like a real obvious hole in the lineup. I know that model creep almost sank Apple once upon a time, but surely there's a happy medium to be found between the Performa era and the current situation?
I still have my 733 Quicksilver PowerMac G4 - I too miss the days of more-affordable tower Macs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wdarkk posted:

The main factors in the cost of the Mac Pro are the Xeon processor and ECC RAM. Everything else could be somewhat affordable. Unfortunately Xeons basically start at 1k USD just for the chip.

I don't think they can compromise on the Xeon issue unless they want to stop offering dual-socket models.

Bimmi posted:

A marginally expandable box sans monitor seems like a real obvious hole in the lineup. I know that model creep almost sank Apple once upon a time, but surely there's a happy medium to be found between the Performa era and the current situation?
My dream is a smallish tower (aka new Cube or something) using Xeon E3s for a lower end Mac Pro (vs the super high end dual socket monster). They're basically like the consumer chips, including similar timelines vs lagging way behind like the others, but with ECC support and apparently support for more PCIe lanes, and most of them are reasonably priced (again like the consumer chips). They could even sell them without a separate GPU card on the absolute low end since some have the integrated graphics on die. Plus most E3 desktops aren't super cheap like most consumer machines so their pricing wouldn't look ridiculous in comparison.

Shaocaholica posted:

Am I SOL driving a KVM with a full sized Apple aluminum keyboard that doesn't have a scroll lock key? The KVM doesn't have any buttons either I don't think.
Try shift-[wherever scroll lock is]? I remember having to do that before (shift clear) for num lock in Windows VMs at some point (although just clear works now).

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

fleshweasel posted:

I don't understand why a consumer would want a Mac Pro to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

MancXVI posted:

I don't understand why a consumer would want a Mac Pro to begin with.

Big and Shiny Syndrome? I have the most expensive Mac possible look at me?