Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rirse posted:

Especially if they managed to buy the Darksiders rights that the head of Platinum is wanting to do.

They likely will since nobody seems to want the license.

Does Nintendo own a piece of Platinum Games? If not, now's the time to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Spacebump posted:

Also, it's such a Nintendo move to charge you more money to play VC games in Wii U mode. On any other system this would be free. (Watch when the next XBOX comes out and they don't charge to redownload XBLA games)
"On any other system," really? Other than like iPhone apps working on iPad, I'm struggling to come up with real-world examples. Pretty much all BC I've seen kicks you into a mode where the new system features are disabled. It's not like Microsoft went and coded achievements into Original Xbox games that were backward compatible. You just got barebones (and often very glitchy) emulation, or maybe a full-on remake later that they outright sold as a new product.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Oh no, Euro/Aus Wii U Virtual Console games are 50hz. I guess I won't be buying any of the games they put on that service.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

japtor posted:

What's with all you people that couldn't steer the boat? :psyduck:
Did you play an alternate version made just for you where you didn't have to use the baton to change the direction of the wind? Considering my post said that I thought there weren't problems with sailing beyond that, I think it's pretty untouchable.

Also, where the gently caress do these people get off making me pay a dollar for access to something I already own?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

LividLiquid posted:

Also, where the gently caress do these people get off making me pay a dollar for access to something I already own?

You don't have to pay anything to access the stuff you own, just boot into Wii mode! If you want the upgraded version of the thing you own with all the extra features that take time/money to develop and implement, then you have to pay a dollar. Which is reasonable.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Minidust posted:

"On any other system," really? Other than like iPhone apps working on iPad, I'm struggling to come up with real-world examples. Pretty much all BC I've seen kicks you into a mode where the new system features are disabled. It's not like Microsoft went and coded achievements into Original Xbox games that were backward compatible. You just got barebones (and often very glitchy) emulation, or maybe a full-on remake later on that they outright sold as a new product.

I don't know if it counts but Vita's backwards compatibility with the PS1 and PSP lets you access a new platform-specific configuration menu that lets you adjust a bunch of different options to change the way the game runs (i.e. physical/touchscreen controls, camera, graphics settings) in real time. You can suspend the game too and use other non-related system functions while the game is going. It's different from the PS3, which forces you to quit your PS1/2 games in order to make any hard adjustments to the emulation (graphics) or do anything outside of the game itself like chatting with friends.

edit: wait I think I'm getting confused somewhat but I think I have this down

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 24, 2013

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

absolutely anything posted:

You don't have to pay anything to access the stuff you own, just boot into Wii mode! If you want the upgraded version of the thing you own with all the extra features that take time/money to develop and implement, then you have to pay a dollar. Which is reasonable.

And honestly I find the correct aspect ratio, tablet play and retardedly mappable controls to be worth a buck for any games I really want to upgrade.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

robot roll call posted:

And honestly I find the correct aspect ratio, tablet play and retardedly mappable controls to be worth a buck for any games I really want to upgrade.

The aspect ratio thing alone was enough for me, but all that extra stuff is just so nice in general. Regardless, I can play all the VC games I purchased over the years on my Wii U with no problem at all (unless you consider going into Wii Mode a problem) and having the option to upgrade it for a buck isn't that bad considering it's just that: an option.

Haven't heard anything about other consoles moving onto Wii U VC either, and stuff like R-Type for the TG-16 is probably going to never make it on there either.

Since other digital services were mentioned, all that Crimson Skies DLC I bought through Xbox Live is gone forever. RIP Crimson Skies, the best Xbox Live game ever. :smith:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 24, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If you already own a game, then don't rebuy it? If you want to pay for added features then paying $1.50 or whatever is a hell of a lot better than them just recharging full price. Using the "I paid for it once already I shouldn't have to pay anything ever again if re-released" logic would mean people should be expecting Wind Waker HD for free if they bought the gamecube version.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

weird bleep posted:

Oh no, Euro/Aus Wii U Virtual Console games are 50hz. I guess I won't be buying any of the games they put on that service.

I don't see why you would expect otherwise. On the plus side, any import titles will be 60Hz, like they were on the Wii. On the minus side it's loving 2013.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

stuff like R-Type for the TG-16 is probably going to never make it on there either.

Well yeah of course, IREM is functionally braindead :smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Well yeah of course, IREM is functionally braindead :smith:

I'm still really loving bitter about Steambot Chronicles 2 and Disaster Report 4.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

On the plus side, any import titles will be 60Hz, like they were on the Wii.

There were definitely 60HZ import titles that were forced to run at 50HZ for no good reason, although I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm still really loving bitter about Steambot Chronicles 2 and Disaster Report 4.

Oh god drat it, you reminded me of Disaster Report 4. I'm still pissed about that too! That game was almost done! gently caress! IREM please be cool and let Granzella publish it now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There were definitely 60HZ import titles that were forced to run at 50HZ for no good reason, although I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

Well the reason would be "because Nintendo is batshit insane and has generally no idea what they're doing in the EU", but I don't remember any titles having that issue. Sin & Punishment might have, actually. I'm fairly certain the later stuff like Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy games had big "HOLY JESUS 60HZ LOOK OUT WORLD" signs on them though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

If you already own a game, then don't rebuy it? If you want to pay for added features then paying $1.50 or whatever is a hell of a lot better than them just recharging full price. Using the "I paid for it once already I shouldn't have to pay anything ever again if re-released" logic would mean people should be expecting Wind Waker HD for free if they bought the gamecube version.

All things considered, Windwaker gave people OoT for free when they bought it for Gamecube. In many cases poeople got OoT for free twice when the Gamecube was current.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well the reason would be "because Nintendo is batshit insane and has generally no idea what they're doing in the EU", but I don't remember any titles having that issue. Sin & Punishment might have, actually. I'm fairly certain the later stuff like Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy games had big "HOLY JESUS 60HZ LOOK OUT WORLD" signs on them though.

I want to say that all the 60HZ-at-50HZ games were Megadrive releases, but I'd have to boot my Wii to check.

I know the NA Ufouria release suffers from the opposite problem - it's the 50HZ PAL version running at NTSC speeds.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Did you play an alternate version made just for you where you didn't have to use the baton to change the direction of the wind? Considering my post said that I thought there weren't problems with sailing beyond that, I think it's pretty untouchable.
You didn't need to change wind to turn :colbert:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since other digital services were mentioned, all that Crimson Skies DLC I bought through Xbox Live is gone forever. RIP Crimson Skies, the best Xbox Live game ever. :smith:

The worst thing about original XBLA being gone is no more Phantom Dust. Just about everything on Xbox has something like it or better on 360 except PD. Nowadays with all these microtransactions Microsoft loves so much, Phantom Dust 2 could be a huge awesome moneymaker.

Back to wii: My kneejerk reaction to paying to upgrade my VC games was 'NINTENDOOOOOOO,' but it's not like I lost any of my old VC games. I dont pay the upgrade fee and I dont actually lose out on anything except on-pad play and button mapping. Whatever

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't see why you would expect otherwise. On the plus side, any import titles will be 60Hz, like they were on the Wii. On the minus side it's loving 2013.

3DS Virtual Console games are 60hz versions. The 3DS doesn't have to worry about TV refresh rates and resolutions, but I was hoping it might be a sign that they would just throw NTSC games on the European eShop. I don't really care a huge amount about the Virtual Console, but I'm sure there would be some games I would like to revisit.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They likely will since nobody seems to want the license.

Does Nintendo own a piece of Platinum Games? If not, now's the time to.

They also appear to be willing to hire ex-Vigil people
https://twitter.com/PG_jp/status/294239132224471040

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I have a question about the Wii U eShop. I haven't bought a Wii U yet, but I am thinking of importing a USA region system. Would I be able to use my credit card (Mastercard, Australia) for online purchases? I am curious as I can freely buy stuff from the European 3DS eShop, but on my PS3 I cannot buy directly from the US PSN store.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Bland posted:

Eye colour is different.
End-game spoiler!
I'm willing to bet it will be Shulk and Fiora's son, since she has green eyes.

At least that would be easier to introduce new characters and expand the story.

ROOMBA floorvac fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 24, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

jtm33 posted:

I have a question about the Wii U eShop. I haven't bought a Wii U yet, but I am thinking of importing a USA region system. Would I be able to use my credit card (Mastercard, Australia) for online purchases? I am curious as I can freely buy stuff from the European 3DS eShop, but on my PS3 I cannot buy directly from the US PSN store.

Should do. They don't ask for a billing address.
If that fails there are online stores where you can buy any region's point card codes.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Yeah good. I would like if someone could outright confirm that foreign cards work on the US eShop though. Using the eShop directly is a big factor in my decision, unless I can find some place that will sell eShop cards online at face value.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

jtm33 posted:

Yeah good. I would like if someone could outright confirm that foreign cards work on the US eShop though. Using the eShop directly is a big factor in my decision, unless I can find some place that will sell eShop cards online at face value.

Here you go.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Nah, that looks like a physical card they actual ship to you. Not an option for me because I don't live in the US. Thanks for looking though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
At 30 cents for Balloon fight it's really hard to pass it up... everybody buy this so it hopefully teaches Nintendo that they'll make more money off it being 30 cents than they would as a $5 game.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

It's 30 pence here in the United Kingdom too, Nintendo is ripping us off by making us pay an extra 11p more than the Americans do, they're against us :tinfoil:.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

japtor posted:

You didn't need to change wind to turn :colbert:

You do if you want to turn more than a few degrees in either direction. Technically you could travel southeast while the wind is pointed south, but you'll move slower so you'd be better off changing the wind to blow southeast. You absolutely cannot turn 90 degrees or more without changing the wind, though.

I'm pretty sure you're just being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic though. You know by "steer the boat" people mean "stop going north and go west/east/south instead", but instead you choose to insist that everyone else is wrong about the cumbersome steering because you can totally steer the boat without changing the wind. (if you only want to tilt to the right or left a little bit)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Astro7x posted:

At 30 cents for Balloon fight it's really hard to pass it up... everybody buy this so it hopefully teaches Nintendo that they'll make more money off it being 30 cents than they would as a $5 game.

I'm finding it hard to justify given that I kind of already have it on Nintendo Land and all. I mean, I guess it'd have two player, but.. I don't ever have anyone to play with, so..

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The main balloon fight game is actually different from NintendoLand's. It's more similar to Joust in playstyle.

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011

jtm33 posted:

Foreign cards doesn't work on the 3DS's eShop. Can't say for sure about the Wii U - but it's probably the same deal there. Funny (and really annoying) thing is that they used to work, but nintendo changed that some time ago, probably due to legislation or something. That was actually the main reason i went PAL with the Wii U.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe I just play too fast and loose with my triple dimes, but there are very few Nintendo games I wouldn't pay 30 cents for.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm finding it hard to justify given that I kind of already have it on Nintendo Land and all. I mean, I guess it'd have two player, but.. I don't ever have anyone to play with, so..

Next time you see a quarter on the ground, pick it up. There, you've justified 80% of your purchase.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe I just play too fast and loose with my triple dimes, but there are very few Nintendo games I wouldn't pay 30 cents for.
It is kind of sweet to have Balloon Fight, Super Metroid, F-Zero, Punch-Out, and Kirby's Adventure for $1.50 though. It feels like a Steam deal.

They're all Nintendo owned games though. I wonder if individual publishers of VC games can decide when to put their games on sale. Like if SNK had a sale for Neo Geo games every once in a while, for example.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

You'd have more friends to play with if you weren't so cheap.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

deadwing posted:

Next time you see a quarter on the ground, pick it up. There, you've justified 80% of your purchase.

:eng101:83.333333...%!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It is kind of sweet to have Balloon Fight, Super Metroid, F-Zero, Punch-Out, and Kirby's Adventure for $1.50 though. It feels like a Steam deal.

They're all Nintendo owned games though. I wonder if individual publishers of VC games can decide when to put their games on sale. Like if SNK had a sale for Neo Geo games every once in a while, for example.

I can't speak for certain on the VC, but the sales on eShop stuff have me hopeful, at least. Every game in the shop has been on sale for at least some time since launch. Could be a good sign.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Legdiian posted:

You'd have more friends to play with if you weren't so cheap.

I spent AU$450 on a new console to basically play NSMB. I'm such a tightwad!

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I'm buying every single 30 cent game. I want Nintendo to know I'll happily buy a ton of vc games for a sensible price. I understand there is bug testing and programming emulators to do, but six bucks for a box rom seems ridiculous to me.

• Locked thread