Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boboto
Jan 10, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

FF Vol. 2 #3

internet jerks :doom:

So hard not to post every page from that issue. The Jennnnnnnnnnnnn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

So regular, not-rick-jones abomination is back?

Don't know, but this was well before Rick Jones Abomination.

Also low blow She-Hulk. Nothing stings like the truth.

TwoPair posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men #24 is so good you guys, it's pretty much hilarious cover-to-cover (except for a couple of serious parts). Here, have a taste:

"...it's randomly hook up with each other." - the end of Quire's thought bubble from the next page.

I laughed uncontrollably at that second-to-last panel for a solid minute.

I was so ready to :goonsay: out on this because Quentin was aware of Jean during the first "Riot at Xavier's" arc, but then I realized he was stunned because well, suddenly there was a Jean he could conceive himself actually banging... piggish as that may be.

Breetai posted:

The facial expressions in this issue were kinda exaggerated all around.

Doesn't look like Kevin Maguire itself, but seems to follow his philosophy. I wish I had that page in Wizard so I could repost it every time the whole "exaggerated expressions" observation gets brought up. His whole philosophy is that you should draw the facial expression at the moment of most exaggeration to fully convey their emotion per what's being told in the panel. Sounds a little hard to explain but it's all about keeping the art and script together in a consistent flow, and I find it reads really well even if it looks goofy as gently caress out of context.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 24, 2013

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Source: Jack of Fables #32.

Jack is recounting (with embellishments) how he led a group of Fables to victory, if I recall correctly.

His imagination is something else.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

graybook posted:

Source: Jack of Fables #32.

Jack is recounting (with embellishments) how he led a group of Fables to victory, if I recall correctly.

His imagination is something else.

Did he do it by being just like Israel?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I know this isn't the request thread, but its for a funny panel.

Can someone post the panel from WatXM with nu Silver Samurai saying "I've never been turned on by a shark before, but, uhhh..." while Angel looks on in horror?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Boxman posted:

I know this isn't the request thread, but its for a funny panel.

Can someone post the panel from WatXM with nu Silver Samurai saying "I've never been turned on by a shark before, but, uhhh..." while Angel looks on in horror?

Waterhaul posted:

To get things back on track here is a panel from Wolverine and the X-Men #20 without context.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

From the Deadpool # 4 letter pages

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

From the Deadpool # 4 letter pages

That's awesome. And I now I can totally hear him saying that in his "stupid" voice.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Rhyno posted:

That's awesome. And I now I can totally hear him saying that in his "stupid" voice.

Not to mention Deadpool suddenly sounding like Brian Posehn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Not to mention Deadpool suddenly sounding like Brian Posehn.

I'm okay with this.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I could have sworn someone posted a few panels from Superior Spider-Man where Otto/Pete is on a date with MJ, spends the whole thing on his bluetooth headpiece and oogling MJ's boobs.

I've scrolled back over half the thread and can't find it. So I'm either incompetent or making the whole thing up. Can anyone help?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Someone post something funny from Gambit. Everyone keeps saying it's one of the best books Marvel currently puts out, but I need further convincing.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Action #293

Hah, an old split identity story! I wonder what wacky situations the separated Clark and Superman will get into..

:stare:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

techknight posted:

Hah, an old split identity story! I wonder what wacky situations the separated Clark and Superman will get into..

It's like those puzzles where you have to count how many triangles there are. How many different reasons can YOU find for why this is dumb?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would probably be easier for him to solve the problem with super-clockmaking than going to the trouble of having to reduce the speed of the Earth's rotation.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

techknight posted:

Action #293

Now I want to go watch the first two Superman movies.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009
Spider-Mans on and off squeeze is cosying up to Daredevil.
He takes it surprisingly well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

caboodle posted:

Spider-Mans on and off squeeze is cosying up to Daredevil.
He takes it surprisingly well.

So, there's basically no way Matt doesn't know he's there, right?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

He could be distracted at the time.

Mystic Comics #007 will Namor get out of this pickle!!!!

Also Captain America #069 with a very :haw: Cap.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Waterhaul posted:

Also Captain America #069 with a very :haw: Cap.

You have nothing to fear from Rapeface Captain America!

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
"He'll eat us like flies!"

Wait, what?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I was re-reading Wolverine and the X-Men #17, and this one still kills me. Really the whole issue is gold. It pretty much focuses on what Doop actually does at the school (protect it from everything).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wonder Woman 16: Hera is having a hard time adjusting to being a mortal and is having to deal with the backlash of thousands of years of being a real bitch to her kids everyone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's an interesting depection of Ares.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's an interesting depection of Ares.

All of the gods have had really interesting interpretations in this run - Hades and Poseidon are really weird and awesome.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Is that Ares or Hephaestus? I haven't been reading the comic but in mythology Hephaestus was the one she didn't get along with.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Someone should post the panel from Dark Avengers 186 where Trickshot is surrounded by women in lingre wooing them over and Hawkguy comes in and steals all the women, taunting trickshot and saying "I even have my OWN comic now" :smug:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Is that Ares or Hephaestus? I haven't been reading the comic but in mythology Hephaestus was the one she didn't get along with.

Ares. But in this comic, she doesn't get along with anybody.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Huh I thought that was Hephaestus, but then again where is the limp that he is known for.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Glory #032

Here's is your monthly reminder that you should feel bad for not reading Glory.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Hera traditionally doesn't get along with anyone (with the possible exception of her daughter Eileithyia, goddess of childbirth, but primarily because Hera would use her as a weapon to make life tough for Zeus's paramours), but Ares is well attested to as being the most hated of all the gods.

In one tradition Hera is the sole parent of Hephaestus, jealous of Zeus birthing Athena by himself, but she is disgusted because he is ugly, and she throws him out of heaven. In another tradition, he is the son of Zeus and Hera, and gets in between them trying to defend his mother from Zeus's advances, and Zeus throws him out of heaven. In the first book of the Iliad, Hephaestus reminds his mother of this story to try to cheer her up after Zeus yells at her.

Either way, it's not so much that Hera and Hephaestus don't get along, it's that Hephaestus craves his mother's approval while Hera is just a cold bitch to everyone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh I thought that was Hephaestus, but then again where is the limp that he is known for.

Nah, Hephaestus looks like this in WW:

Anyway, on to funny things. The new Batman & Robin Annual is all about Damian sending Bruce on a globetrotting adventure finding out stuff about his parents. There's a lot of touching stuff in there. But there's also a lot of funny stuff. Like for example, the first spot on the trip happens to be a hotel in London. As it turns out, the manager is one of Alfred's buddies from his pre-butler days as an actor. So that gets Alfred thinkin' about the good ol' days.

Then this happens:

So Bruce leaves Alfred in London and takes off. Then at the end of the story, Bruce (and Damian) come back to pick him up and... catch a little entertainment.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Also from Batman and Robin Annual #1:

While Bruce is off globetrotting, Damian is Batman-ing it up in Gotham.

He has a little bit of trouble with equipment.

From Hawkeye #7:

Socialites and their crazy names. Heck of an invitation, this.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

graybook posted:

The Night is mine!

Hah yes, that is a sweet sweet Venture Brothers reference.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Benito Cereno posted:

Hera traditionally doesn't get along with anyone (with the possible exception of her daughter Eileithyia, goddess of childbirth, but primarily because Hera would use her as a weapon to make life tough for Zeus's paramours), but Ares is well attested to as being the most hated of all the gods.

This is the result of historical bias, in that Athens, from whom we get most of these written works, portrayed their patron God of war (Athena) as wonderful and wise while the patron of their biggest enemies Sparta (Ares) was portrayed as a detestable whiner.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Derek Dominoe posted:

This is the result of historical bias, in that Athens, from whom we get most of these written works, portrayed their patron God of war (Athena) as wonderful and wise while the patron of their biggest enemies Sparta (Ares) was portrayed as a detestable whiner.

You are not wrong; I'm just relating the stories as we see them in the sources we have. However, in the Iliad, Zeus reproves Ares for being a horrible, ruinous rear end in a top hat, and Homer wasn't even kind of Athenian.

Zeus in Iliad Book 5 posted:

Do not sit beside me and whine, you double-faced liar.
To me you are the most hateful of all gods who hold Olympos.
Forever quarrelling is dear to your heart, wars and battles.

And yet I will not long endure to see you in pain, since
you are my child, and it was to me that your mother bore you.
But were you born of some other god and proved so ruinous
long since you would have been dropped beneath the gods of the bright sky.

Of course, Ares gets a better rap as Mars among the Romans, for whom he's the grandfather of their traditional founder, although this added dignity can also be attributed to his role as more of an agricultural god prior to his syncretization with Ares.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I had forgotten that Benito is an English teacher.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Shawn posted:

I had forgotten that Benito is an English teacher.

Sometimes! But my main field of study is Classics, especially Latin language and classical mythology, so this stuff is right square in the middle of my wheelhouse.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Plus he was always such a jerk to Hercules and Xena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Wonder Woman 16: Hera is having a hard time adjusting to being a mortal and is having to deal with the backlash of thousands of years of being a real bitch to her kids everyone.

Is there a reason why Ares is barefoot, and his feet are covered in blood at that, or is that just his thing? I am looking at Ares in the Touching Panels thread and I did not see the bloody feet there.

• Locked thread