Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Reports of a twin otter missing in mother-loving Antarctica are coming out.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/plane-carrying-3-canadians-goes-missing-in-antarctica-1.1126539

quote:

A search is underway for an airplane carrying three Canadian men that’s gone missing in Antarctica.

The Twin Otter aircraft’s emergency locator transmitter was activated around 10 p.m. Wednesday nightas the plane was en route from the South Pole to an Italian base in Terra Nova Bay, according to the New Zealand-based APNZ news service.

Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand is coordinating the search as the plane’s beacon is transmitting within New Zealand’s Search and Rescue region.

Authorities at the U.S. McMurdo Station have also been asked to assist in the search. A U.S. Air National Guard C-130 aircraft flew to the position where the emergency transmitter was triggered but was unable to spot a downed aircraft.

Weather conditions are currently poor, with high winds and total cloud cover.

A joint New Zealand and U.S. field rescue team will attempt to reach the site by helicopter when the weather conditions improve.

At least it's not winter there.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yikes. I was going to post "good thing its mostly flat" but they went down in the mountains.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Also a lot of the flat part of Antarctica is at enough altitude to make things even more difficult, and it being flat doesn't really help things along too much.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

Reports of a twin otter missing in mother-loving Antarctica are coming out.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/plane-carrying-3-canadians-goes-missing-in-antarctica-1.1126539

At least it's not winter there.

Summer is a relative term in Antarctica. At McMurdo (the nearest station to his incident), the temperature only gets up to a few degrees above freezing in the summer, and it is goddamned cold in the winter; easily into the minus 30s for a high. The biggest problem with this region of Antarctica is the wind; the cold air from the interior comes screaming off the ice sheet and down the mountain valleys at incredible speed; winds of a hundred knots or more (Category 3 hurricane speed) are common and persistent this time of year. In fact, the wind is the biggest issue hampering the search right now.

I hope they find these guys OK; there is a good chance I might know one or more of them.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Jesus, I hope they had good winter gear and somehow miraculously make it back. Doesn't look good though.

Looking up more info, I stumbled onto a video of their DC-3Ts. Seeing a DC3 with turboprops is just weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnAlvYafGA

Edit: Here's a second video of them recovering a DC3T from a CFIT in Antarctica.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwQuQfquRI

ctishman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 24, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
By weird you mean fly as all get-out, I presume.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Speaking of; F-35. What is the point in having a stealth aircraft if the only way it can do it's job is by hanging a bunch of not stealthy poo poo on external hardpoints? Has anyone in the military asked this yet?

Know what I find even funnier? People talking about hanging jammer pods on it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

vulturesrow posted:

Know what I find even funnier? People talking about hanging jammer pods on it.

It amuses me to no end that it's the USMC that's leading that brain trust.

Every time I see the phrase "stealthy jammer" I just start laughing.

e: Came across the cool picture from the USAF's "This Week in Pictures," thought it belonged here:

Go here for big resolution.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 25, 2013

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
PBS's new NOVA just showed up online. If you like drones go watch it.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2326108547

iyaayas01 posted:

It amuses me to no end that it's the USMC that's leading that brain trust.

Every time I see the phrase "stealthy jammer" I just start laughing.

Hasn't there not been a new jammer program for years except for the new one that was just contracted? Other than RMIP programs and such.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

Summer is a relative term in Antarctica. At McMurdo (the nearest station to his incident), the temperature only gets up to a few degrees above freezing in the summer, and it is goddamned cold in the winter; easily into the minus 30s for a high. The biggest problem with this region of Antarctica is the wind; the cold air from the interior comes screaming off the ice sheet and down the mountain valleys at incredible speed; winds of a hundred knots or more (Category 3 hurricane speed) are common and persistent this time of year. In fact, the wind is the biggest issue hampering the search right now.

I hope they find these guys OK; there is a good chance I might know one or more of them.

I was thinking more about daylight than anything else.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Plinkey posted:

Hasn't there not been a new jammer program for years except for the new one that was just contracted? Other than RMIP programs and such.

Off the top of my head, I don't think the US has ever had a dedicated aircraft designed to be a jammer. B-29s, B-52s, F-111s, A-6s, F/A-18s...

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

Off the top of my head, I don't think the US has ever had a dedicated aircraft designed to be a jammer. B-29s, B-52s, F-111s, A-6s, F/A-18s...

Sorry, meant pod jammer.

Also EA-18G :argh:

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 25, 2013

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

Maybe just semantics but the mighty Prowler was most certainly designed to be a jammer. I see what you are getting at though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

vulturesrow posted:

Maybe just semantics but the mighty Prowler was most certainly designed to be a jammer. I see what you are getting at though.

I'd say there's a legitimate difference between an aircraft designed from the ground up to be an EW/EA aircraft (Prowler, Growler, Spark Vark, Compass Call) even if it's a (usually fairly extensive) modification of an existing airframe, and just hanging some jamming pods on a fighter and calling it good (like the Marines are ostensibly planning on doing with the F-35).

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

By weird you mean fly as all get-out, I presume.

I most certainly do.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

I'd say there's a legitimate difference between an aircraft designed from the ground up to be an EW/EA aircraft (Prowler, Growler, Spark Vark, Compass Call) even if it's a (usually fairly extensive) modification of an existing airframe, and just hanging some jamming pods on a fighter and calling it good (like the Marines are ostensibly planning on doing with the F-35).

Yeah basically what I was getting at, just didn't feel like typing it all out on my tablet. :) As EW guy and patch wearer to boot I'm sort of frustrated with the state of EW in DoD. EA-6B pods are old as poo poo and showing their age. Hanging them off a Super Hornet airframe is really a band-aid fix when you get right down to it. EW is a huge force multiplier and it seems like DoD is really just letting it languish. To my mind hanging pods on an F-35 is beyond stupid. I really wish USAF and USMC would've gotten on board with the Growler and then we maybe would've had a more unified push towards a next gen jamming pod. In all honesty though a good deal of the EW mission could be handled via UAV, especially close in stuff, but again that's going to require some serious technology advancement on the jammer side of the house.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Not looking good for the Spitfire search:

quote:

Almost two weeks ago David Cundall’s dreams were - it seemed - about to be fulfilled.

The Lincolnshire farmer and warplane hunter had finally achieved his aim of digging at precisely the spot where he believed Spitfire after Spitfire had been buried as the RAF left Burma.

For 16 years, Mr Cundall, 62, had been convinced that dozens of Spitfires were buried in their shipping crates, including 36 at Mingaladon, a former RAF base that is now Rangoon International Airport.

This week, however, his archaeologists and the delegation sent by multi-millionaire backer who had helped fund his search will be heading home, privately accepting there are no Spitfires.

Mr Cundall himself is defiant in his belief that Burma will give up the Mark XIV Spitfires he is convinced were buried there in 1945 and 1946.

Not looking good for this landing:

http://vimeo.com/57146636

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah basically what I was getting at, just didn't feel like typing it all out on my tablet. :) As EW guy and patch wearer to boot I'm sort of frustrated with the state of EW in DoD. EA-6B pods are old as poo poo and showing their age. Hanging them off a Super Hornet airframe is really a band-aid fix when you get right down to it. EW is a huge force multiplier and it seems like DoD is really just letting it languish. To my mind hanging pods on an F-35 is beyond stupid. I really wish USAF and USMC would've gotten on board with the Growler and then we maybe would've had a more unified push towards a next gen jamming pod. In all honesty though a good deal of the EW mission could be handled via UAV, especially close in stuff, but again that's going to require some serious technology advancement on the jammer side of the house.

Well the USMC was never down with the Growler for the same reason they are still overworking the poo poo out of their maintainers while rocking dogged out A-Ds and Harriers: they have a mental block for all things E-G related and buying a single Super Hornet airframe would be an admission of their poor planning and subsequent reliance on Navy airframes, parts and EW support.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Phanatic posted:

So much sadness in those two points. Wonder how much it is to fix that Mustang engine after the prop strike.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Tell me why this is a stupid idea (besides cost) in the least condescending manner possible.

Take a B-52 and stuff it with all the newest jamming equipment.
Set up the interior so that the EW crew has some more space and better stations.
Double the amount of flares and chaff it carries.
Mount a few long and short range air-air missiles. Maybe even a few set up to fire backwards.
Put a few air to ground missiles on it as well. Make sure a few are designed to take out radar/SAM sites.

BAM! Long legged/high loiter time Jammer that could possibly defend itself from Air and ground threats or at least deter them somewhat if they see a missile heading their way.

Something like this but with more B-52 sperglord input.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AzureSkys posted:

So much sadness in those two points. Wonder how much it is to fix that Mustang engine after the prop strike.

Even if the prop hub and everything behind it was fine... I think most places that do Packard Merlins budget around 850hrs for the overhaul. So figure 850*shop labor rate, plus any machine costs.

In other words, $100-125,000. :staredog:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Holding too much speed in the flare. Wrecking airplanes since 1917.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Blistex posted:

Tell me why this is a stupid idea (besides cost) in the least condescending manner possible.

Set up the interior so that the EW crew has some more space and better stations.
Mount a few long and short range air-air missiles. Maybe even a few set up to fire backwards.
Put a few air to ground missiles on it as well. Make sure a few are designed to take out radar/SAM sites.

BAM! Long legged/high loiter time Jammer that could possibly defend itself from Air and ground threats or at least deter them somewhat if they see a missile heading their way.

Dale Brown parachute account spotted.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Edit: Dammit!

Blistex posted:

People have been hoping they'd build the Old Dog for decades now. The Soviets may not have huge laser weapons but the plane should still fly!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Blistex posted:

The B-52 already has some good jamming equipment. I've been on the receiving end. There are definitely systems that could be added for significant benefit, though. There's only so much useable interior space...yeah a BUFF is loving huge but I bet most of the interior isn't fit for human survival at altitude and to change that would require a complete rebuild of the interior (which takes 1-2 years per aircraft on a 707 platform). It carries a poo poo ton of countermeasures already. Air-to-air missiles would require an air-to-air radar, which would take years to integrate, if it's even possible with the outdated electrical systems. Missiles that shoot backwards don't go very far...they lose a lot of their speed (and thus, range) because they start out at several hundred negative knots. And you'd need another radar pointing backwards.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Boomerjinks posted:

Dale Brown parachute account spotted.

I've honestly never read any of his books, but know of him and his love of the BUFF (Flight of the Old Dog).

Advent Horizon posted:

People have been hoping they'd build the Old Dog for decades now. The Soviets may not have huge laser weapons but the plane should still fly!

So are you saying this is actually a good-ish idea? :clancyfap: <-this needs to be made!

Edit: just saw your second post.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The B-52 already has some good jamming equipment. I've been on the receiving end. There are definitely systems that could be added for significant benefit, though. There's only so much useable interior space...yeah a BUFF is loving huge but I bet most of the interior isn't fit for human survival at altitude and to change that would require a complete rebuild of the interior (which takes 1-2 years per aircraft on a 707 platform). It carries a poo poo ton of countermeasures already. Air-to-air missiles would require an air-to-air radar, which would take years to integrate, if it's even possible with the outdated electrical systems. Missiles that shoot backwards don't go very far...they lose a lot of their speed (and thus, range) because they start out at several hundred negative knots. And you'd need another radar pointing backwards.

The B-52 has a rearwards facing radar, granted its not so much for tracking as warning.

You have to remember though, most of the interior space of the B-52 was designed just to hold the equipment, because the crew is required to be strapped in and sitting in combat so that if they must eject they are in their seats. Everyone gets an ejection seat in that bastard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you can get them to try launching ICBMs by throwing them out the back of a C5 while in flight, strapping a few bits onto a B52 should seem completely reasonable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

The B-52 has a rearwards facing radar, granted its not so much for tracking as warning.

Unless it's designed to support a missile, it's not capable of doing so. It's not nearly enough to put a dot on a screen, it has to be able to detect and locate accurately enough, at far enough range, translate that information into missile-speak, and communicate with the missile in-flight. The Buff can't do any of that.

CommieGIR posted:

You have to remember though, most of the interior space of the B-52 was designed just to hold the equipment, because the crew is required to be strapped in and sitting in combat so that if they must eject they are in their seats. Everyone gets an ejection seat in that bastard.

Oh I know. That's one more challenge to overcome for a plan like the one suggested above. The whole thing is completely impractical, that's my point.

iyaayas01 posted:

Agreed, but we've never given EW the attention it deserves.

InitialDave posted:

If you can get them to try launching ICBMs by throwing them out the back of a C5 while in flight, strapping a few bits onto a B52 should seem completely reasonable.

AWACS is now beginning full-rate upgrades to replace the 1964 computer that runs all the mission systems. "Reasonable" has absolutely nothing to do with military systems upgrade planning.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 25, 2013

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Godholio posted:

Unless it's designed to support a missile, it's not capable of doing so. It's not nearly enough to put a dot on a screen, it has to be able to detect and locate accurately enough, at far enough range, translate that information into missile-speak, and communicate with the missile in-flight. The Buff can't do any of that.

Oh I know. That's one more challenge to overcome for a plan like the one suggested above. The whole thing is completely impractical, that's my point.

Agreed, but we've never given EW the attention it deserves.

AWACS is now beginning full-rate upgrades to replace the 1964 computer that runs all the mission systems. "Reasonable" has absolutely nothing to do with military systems upgrade planning.

What about just loading it with jamming / EW antennas, and not worrying about the missiles? Maybe a few HARMs to lob in the direction of hostile radars, which it should have a receiver for.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Blistex posted:

I've honestly never read any of his books, but know of him and his love of the BUFF (Flight of the Old Dog).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-52_Megafortress#EB-52_Megafortress

But screw that, as awesome as a B52 is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-52_Megafortress#REB-36D_Peacemaker_II_NAWCC

Is 10 shades of awesome more awesomer.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Upper and lower decks of the buff @ the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island in Hawaii.

Click for big

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Ah, guess someone else got there first.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

I was thinking more about daylight than anything else.

Long daylight can be of some help, but at the same time if there's so much snow being blown around that you have no reference to the ground, all the daylight in the world can't help you.

An update to the situation; the weather has improved enough that they've been able to set up a forward base about 50 km from the beacon's position, from which the SAR helicopters can begin an air search.

Also, I found out this morning that all of my friends are accounted for, thank goodness.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

MrChips posted:

Long daylight can be of some help, but at the same time if there's so much snow being blown around that you have no reference to the ground, all the daylight in the world can't help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901

quote:

Outside there was a layer of cloud that blended with the white of the snow-covered volcano, forming a sector whiteout – there was no contrast between the two to warn the pilots. The effect was to deceive everyone on the flight deck, making them believe that the white mountainside was the Ross Ice Shelf, a huge expanse of floating ice derived from the great ice sheets of Antarctica, which was in fact now behind the mountain. As it was little understood, even by experienced polar pilots, Air New Zealand had provided no training for the flight crew on the sector whiteout phenomenon.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I just can't get over how unnecessary it was for that poor Mustang to get bent up. 1.3 Vso is 1.3Vso for a reason!

Granted, i've never flown anything more sprightly than a Diamond Katana, but hoo boy that strikes of more money than brains.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Hm, they may eventually look at installing LAIRCM onto the B-52s as well as added protection to incoming missiles.

Hell, why not throw a complete Phalanx system on it, shoot down incoming?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

CommieGIR posted:

Hm, they may eventually look at installing LAIRCM onto the B-52s as well as added protection to incoming missiles.

It would make a lot of sense to mount combat lasers onto B-52s; would render them virtually invulnerable to missiles. Though, they'd still be vulnerable to ground-based lasers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

It would make a lot of sense to mount combat lasers onto B-52s; would render them virtually invulnerable to missiles. Though, they'd still be vulnerable to ground-based lasers.

When third world nations develop comprehensive laser-based defense systems, we'll worry about it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

The laser idea is a lot more likely, but I'd be surprised if that happens either. The short answer is "because the AF is poo poo at justifying any kind of future-need to get funding for long-term projects." See: F-22, AIM-120D (which is finally out, but years late), AWACS Block 40/45, and about a thousand other upgrade or acquisitions programs that might not have been complete wastes of money.