Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Besesoth posted:

I'm putting the "stupid" in "Stupid/Small Questions". :doh:

I had a bunch of candle bottoms that I wanted to scavenge into a single large jar candle, and my solution was to put the candle ends in the jar and then suspend the jar over a pot of boiling water, double-boiler style. Unfortunately, after the wax had melted, the jar tipped as I was removing it from the "double boiler", and some liquid wax escaped into the pot below. I poured out the water, but some of the wax remained as a deposit on the inner sides of the pot.

I'd rather not get a new pot if I can help it, especially over something so ridiculous as candle wax. I considered just scraping it off, but I'm wary of damaging the pot. (I honestly am not sure what it's made of; it's metal and has a blue marbled finish, but I didn't buy it, and it's been here so long I can't even read the brand on the bottom.) I've tried boiling water again in order to melt the wax off and pour it out, but I feel like I'm just removing Zeno's wax, so to speak - I get 50% out, then 50% of what's left, then 50% of what's left of that... Is there a better way to get the wax out that won't damage the pot, so that I can use it again without getting waxy spaghetti?

Heat the pot enough to melt the wax and use a paper towel to wipe it off. The wax should soak into the paper enough to get it off.

e: Just for the hell of it I'll add that if you need fire starters for camping or whatever; you can take cardboard egg cartons, jam some dryer lint in them and pour your miscellaneous candle wax over it enough to saturate the lint. They're waterproof and burn long enough to start a fire in the nastiest weather.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Is there any easy way to convert all the footnotes in a Word document into endnotes at once?

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 24, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
On Google Maps, you can make it show live traffic conditions, or projections of conditions based on day of the week and time of day. Is it possible to apply the latter to driving time estimates for directions? I have to be somewhere this evening, and while it's only a 45 minute drive in current traffic, I know from experience that traffic is going to suck rear end when I'll be driving there and I'm not sure when I should leave home.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I just got this 2004 Honda Accord for free because apparently I'm not nearly as much of as rear end in a top hat as I think I am. But it has had the front bumper ripped off partway by driving over a stump and then backing up. There were a bunch of little plastic connectors that must have popped off. Some of them ripped holes in the metal or plastic.

The connectors look kind of like this:

Where it's a screw and a fat anchor. I can't find anything at my local little hardware store that fits. If I got replacements from honda, even those would just fall out. The holes are too big. I also can't access the other side in order to place a nut. What can I do here? It's plastic connecting to plastic in some cases and metal in others. Can I fill it with something and screw into that or is there some cleverer solution?

Second, there's essentially a plastic sheet that has been sheered. Imagine a piece of paper torn in two that you have to reconnect, but can't overlap or glue directly. It's hot holding any weight, but just blocking dirt from being thrown into the engine compartment. Do I glue each half to some sort of patch or what?

I'm used to working on old lovely cars, ones that I don't care about and that lack vacuum tubes and are fixed with hammers--cars where you buy a new battery and suddenly feel like you've doubled its value.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Noni posted:

Where it's a screw and a fat anchor. I can't find anything at my local little hardware store that fits. If I got replacements from honda, even those would just fall out. The holes are too big. I also can't access the other side in order to place a nut. What can I do here? It's plastic connecting to plastic in some cases and metal in others. Can I fill it with something and screw into that or is there some cleverer solution?
I got two words for you: zip ties.

Noni posted:

Second, there's essentially a plastic sheet that has been sheered. Imagine a piece of paper torn in two that you have to reconnect, but can't overlap or glue directly. It's hot holding any weight, but just blocking dirt from being thrown into the engine compartment. Do I glue each half to some sort of patch or what?
Don't bother trying to fix it. Just tear the whole thing off and go get another one at a pick-n-pull. Or don't get another one, you don't really need that anyway.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ron Don Volante posted:

Is there any easy way to convert all the footnotes in a Word document into endnotes at once?

Put cursor in a footnote. Ctrl+A. Right click, "convert to endnote."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend me a service that prints posters of paintings at a reasonable price? I'd really like to have a print of Ilya Repin's "Ivan the Terrible and His Son Ivan on November 16th, 1581" at about 70cm wide on my wall, but the kind of prices I'm finding online are kind of exorbitant. Maybe that's just something to be expected - I'm not looking for especially high quality paper or anything. Once framed behind glass, it'll have the kind of look I'd like it to have.

I work in a photostore and could take care of printing and framing the thing myself, but the only images of the painting online that have the necessary pixel count are of extremely poor quality.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

stubblyhead posted:

On Google Maps, you can make it show live traffic conditions, or projections of conditions based on day of the week and time of day. Is it possible to apply the latter to driving time estimates for directions?

I spent almost an hour yesterday trying to figure out how to do this; I could've sworn I've done it before but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do it.

That was incredibly unhelpful. I'm just happy that I'm apparently not insane.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You need a pot scraper. They're little plastic or wood squares specifically designed for scraping pots and pans. They do a great job and won't ruin the finish on your cookware. Overall probably the best ten cents worth of plastic you will ever spend five dollars on.

Loki_ posted:

Heat the pot enough to melt the wax and use a paper towel to wipe it off. The wax should soak into the paper enough to get it off.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Can you freeze it and then crack the wax off with something wooden or plastic?

Astonishingly, all three of these together did the trick. I heated the pot, used a paper towel to get most of it off, waited for it to cool down and then froze it, and used a scraper (well, an old ID I didn't need anymore) to get the remnants of the wax off. The pot's good as new. Thank you!

La Brujo
Sep 22, 2008

You boys still afraid of the dark?

Noni posted:

The DUI trend is mainly because Canada treats DUIs much more seriously than a lot of states. You haven't been arrested or served jail time, right? Did they arrest you for your MIP or just ticket you? I assume you weren't driving a car at the time of the MIP. You'll probably be fine, but bring proof that the suspension was downgraded, that your MIP didn't involve a car, and of your MIP diversion completion. The border patrol will probably ask if you've ever been arrested, you'll say no (I assume that's true), and 90% of the time that'll be it. The people who get turned away for non-DUI misdemeanors are those who didn't bring proof that their crime wasn't more serious (IE, a DUI that was downgraded). You'll have proof, so you might have to go through additional screening, but that'll probably be it. Obviously, if they run your name and only ask about your suspension, don't go pulling out papers on the MIP.

Also you're not in a car, so they don't care as much. Even if you had a DUI, you'll probably still be able to cross.

By the way, the horror stories of crossings around 2011 aren't as much of a worry. Last year, they started a new policy which means tourists with minor offenses are allowed through. In my fishing club, someone made an announcement about this and people clapped, so I guess it was significant. I'd bet that half the people in there had DUIs and the rest had at least a few misdemeanors. Few were risking recreational boat trips to Canada prior to that, and the guys who fished in Alaska had horror stories of having to spend the extra money to fly-in to meet their boats, rather than cruise up from Seattle. Then again, they're all liars, so who the hell knows.

I actually was arrested for the "failure to appear" which was related to a traffic ticket.

Also I'm flying now because gently caress spending 24 hours on a train when a plane is the same price right now.

EDIT: Also, no, I wasn't arrested for the MIP and I haven't had any jail time.

La Brujo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 25, 2013

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Anyone have any ideas on where to buy decent sombreros and ponchos for a reasonable price? I've looked online, but all I've found are cheap party pieces and expensive "vintage" pieces. There has to be a middle ground right?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Kinkajou posted:

Anyone have any ideas on where to buy decent sombreros and ponchos for a reasonable price? I've looked online, but all I've found are cheap party pieces and expensive "vintage" pieces. There has to be a middle ground right?

Do you live anywhere near a supermercado? The sombrero is really purely a tourist/bro item at this point. The same places that sell 'mexican' blankets for yoga is likely your best bet. Are you looking for 100% wool?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

N. Senada posted:

Follow up question to the greyhound stuff; I've never used them before.

They're asking me for my name because I'm paying, but also want the name of the other rider. I've got a pretty good idea of who's going, but if that person backs out will I not be able to use his ticket with someone else?

A bit late, but:
I've travelled greyhound a lot. Only once have they checked IDs. So if you're thinking, "can I get a third friend to replace this second friend," the answer is probably! Even the time they checked IDs, I bet somebody could have said "ummm I don't have mine?" and been fine.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

La Brujo posted:

I actually was arrested for the "failure to appear" which was related to a traffic ticket.

Also I'm flying now because gently caress spending 24 hours on a train when a plane is the same price right now.

EDIT: Also, no, I wasn't arrested for the MIP and I haven't had any jail time.
For what it's worth I got seriously hassled flying from USA to Canada 8 years ago over a 15 year old DUI. Customs held me for 5 hours, made me fill out a dozen forms including every job, address, and criminal offense I'd ever had (just the DUI). They eventually let me in, grudgingly, and with a stern warning that it was this one time only unless/until I did some bs legal procedure/petition a judge/spend a bunch of cash. They said they were cutting me slack because I was on a business trip to make semiconductors for Nortel, but "just this once."

I've flown and drove up 10 times each since then with zero hassle.

Go figure, America's Hat's customs agents are inconsistent v:shobon:v

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Noni posted:

Search for "plastic rivets" or "push-in rivets" and find something in a size which would fit.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

randyest posted:

For what it's worth I got seriously hassled flying from USA to Canada 8 years ago over a 15 year old DUI. Customs held me for 5 hours, made me fill out a dozen forms including every job, address, and criminal offense I'd ever had (just the DUI). They eventually let me in, grudgingly, and with a stern warning that it was this one time only unless/until I did some bs legal procedure/petition a judge/spend a bunch of cash. They said they were cutting me slack because I was on a business trip to make semiconductors for Nortel, but "just this once."

I've flown and drove up 10 times each since then with zero hassle.

Go figure, America's Hat's customs agents are inconsistent v:shobon:v

One of my friends was refused entry to Canada at the border because of a similarly old DUI. They told him he could wait three years and then send a letter asking if he could be let in the country.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
DUI is a felony in Canada. They really don't like letting felons into their country. A friend of mine got similarly screwed over when he was flying to Europe with a layover in Toronto and the flight got stuck there due to weather.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why do butter knives seem to get more water spots than other flatware in the dishwasher?

La Brujo
Sep 22, 2008

You boys still afraid of the dark?
The fact I don't have any DUI's makes me feel much better about the situation but I'm going to call the consulate in the morning just to make sure.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
From the D&D Picture Thread:

Is there any reason why this cycle lane isn't right up against the curb but on the centre of the whole lane?

I live in Ireland and we have our cyclist lanes up against the curb. Pretty sure it's the same in the UK.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I believe those are parking spots against the curb.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

When you get one of those emails with a .ZIP attachment that's trying to give you a virus, when do you actually get infected?

Like, is it just by saving the file to your HD, or opening the .ZIP file, or executing whatever file is inside the .ZIP file?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bedshaped posted:

Is there any reason why this cycle lane isn't right up against the curb but on the centre of the whole lane?

I live in Ireland and we have our cyclist lanes up against the curb. Pretty sure it's the same in the UK.

Parking spots between the lane and the curb. The bike lanes have been appearing here in Los Angeles over the past few years, but people still ride their bikes on the sidewalk. :/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

a 16 year old girl posted:

When you get one of those emails with a .ZIP attachment that's trying to give you a virus, when do you actually get infected?

Like, is it just by saving the file to your HD, or opening the .ZIP file, or executing whatever file is inside the .ZIP file?

When it's executed. But be careful, some email programs will still "helpfully" do things to attachments for you, so it might happen outside your control.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
What's the spanish equivelent of 'hanging out' or 'just chillin'? As in the slang someone would actually use?

I have a feeling 'pasar un rato' is just a textbook definition and language textbooks are hilariously awkwardly worded

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mister Snips posted:

What's the spanish equivelent of 'hanging out' or 'just chillin'? As in the slang someone would actually use?

I have a feeling 'pasar un rato' is just a textbook definition and language textbooks are hilariously awkwardly worded

No, that's pretty much it, or just "pasarlo." If you're going to chill out somewhere other than home, you can:

Salir de rumba
Ir de farra
Salir a divertirse

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Bedshaped posted:

As others have said, those are parking spots along the curb. There is a growing movement in some cities to, well, repaint the lines, switching where parking and bike lanes are, with the idea that it's much, much safer for bicyclists to have a physical barrier between themselves and traffic. Reactionaries tend to take any pro-bicycle reforms as a "war against cars," though, and money is tight pretty much everywhere, so change is slow.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I recall from my childhood a McDonald's Happy Meal box that listed the various special fries you might find in a container. I recall that the "loomster" is the one freaky-long fry in every bunch, and just rediscovered that the "flin" is the tiny runt of a fry.

Does anyone remember other fry names from this set? Loomster stuck with me all these years, and I still use it routinely, but what other amusing names am I forgetting?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bonus Round! (The fries that spill into the bag)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Manslaughter posted:

Bonus Round! (The fries that spill into the bag)
Burger King named those bagglers.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Gravity Pike posted:

As others have said, those are parking spots along the curb. There is a growing movement in some cities to, well, repaint the lines, switching where parking and bike lanes are, with the idea that it's much, much safer for bicyclists to have a physical barrier between themselves and traffic. Reactionaries tend to take any pro-bicycle reforms as a "war against cars," though, and money is tight pretty much everywhere, so change is slow.

I wouldn't want to be between a parking car (especially in a parallel situation like that) and a curb. :-/

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I live in Japan and would like to get a US number that I can forward to my cell phone.

1. I'd like to be able to send/receive SMS.

2. I'd like to be able to pick the area code.

3. Cheaper is better.

Google Voice doesn't work since it doesn't allow forwarding to international numbers; Localphone doesn't work since only UK numbers can receive SMS. Any other options?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
edit: nm

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Why do people get headaches when they're hungry?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Why is everyone so uptight about Lunchables? Is one Lunchable eaten as a snack once in blue moon really going to incur that much damage to my body?

The same people who don't mind fast food burgers and sugary cereals are telling me that Lunchables are unhealthy/disgusting/morally wrong.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Lance Streetman posted:

Why do people get headaches when they're hungry?
I've read that it happens not because they're hungry, but because they're actually thirsty/dehydrated. Sometimes the body confuses the two signals, I guess because we get some of our water intake from food?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
It could be dehydration, but migraines can also be triggered by not eating, although the mechanism isn't well understood. All kinds of things can trigger migraines and part of dealing with them is figuring out what triggers to avoid.

Migraines really suck. Since they can also cause nausea, if not eating is one of your triggers it's really not fun to know it when you couldn't possibly force a bite down.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Raimundus posted:

Why is everyone so uptight about Lunchables? Is one Lunchable eaten as a snack once in blue moon really going to incur that much damage to my body?

The same people who don't mind fast food burgers and sugary cereals are telling me that Lunchables are unhealthy/disgusting/morally wrong.

I've never met someone uptight about Lunchables.

The only time I've gotten a negative reaction about them is when I ate ten for lunch.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

tarepanda posted:

I've never met someone uptight about Lunchables.

The only time I've gotten a negative reaction about them is when I ate ten for lunch.

I have people riding my rear end for eating one. <:mad:>

I'm closer to underweight than overweight. I don't understand some folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Raimundus posted:

I have people riding my rear end for eating one. <:mad:>

I'm closer to underweight than overweight. I don't understand some folks.

Even if they are pretty bad for you, in my experience eating them occasionally or even often isn't going to seal your fate. I ate them sometimes as a kid--my mum was really into low-maintenance high-awesome bagged lunches--and I was a petite runt then, and grew up to be a petite runt now. I wasn't terribly active, either, once I hit my bookish stage around 11. Kind of hate it when certain foods get targeted as The Devil.

Carry on and show those naysayers!