Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Wasn't alfred.

Also, search with recursion would be real nice right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Find Any File sounds familiar:
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

Haven't used it myself yet but I think it's been mentioned a few times.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

If you use a BC partition for a VM does the VM run from the partition or is it a one time deal where it uses the partition to create a VM and then they become separate?
It just boots your BC partition on virtual hardware. It works really well unless you have complex network settings.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Ok, so, back around page 40 of this thread, someone posted a ridiculously powerful search tool for OS X. I forgot the name of it, but I could really use something like that right now.

What I have is a ton (about 20,000) folders, some with music, some with movies, and I want to sort them out.

Does it need a GUI? mdfind is built in to osx and uses the metadata to do near-instant searches on your disk and you can query names, filetypes, actual metadata, and so on.

"man mdfind" in terminal and enjoy the power!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

HorseDickSandwich posted:

What's this about a homemade fusion drive? I'm running an SSD + HD in the optical bay on my MBP right now.

http://blog.macsales.com/15617-creating-your-own-fusion-drive

This article is a little incorrect though. It says only the 2012 macmini has the diskutility necessary to build one of these. That's wrong. 10.8.2 from the mac app store has the command line diskutil necessary to do this. Only the 2012 macmini and iMac have the graphical version of disk utility that knows how to do it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Ha, has anyone done a homebrew upgrade lately?

Silly use of Emoji.

Holy crap, I just realized I can make an emoji prompt.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 25, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

fleshweasel posted:

I'm going for a 240 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD combo with an optibay in my 2010 MacBook running 10.6.8. Is moving the home folder as detailed here the best solution for keeping applications and system files on the SSD and documents and media on the HDD?

Edit: does anyone know if you can put the home folder on an exfat volume with an MBR partition table? I want to use the HDD as a storage disk for both Mac OS and windows 7 so I think I will need to get macdrive or something if I can't do that.

Edit again: maybe symbolic links would be better and I think it would keep time machine from being hosed up possibly. http://mattgeri.com/blog/2012/01/symbolic-links-on-a-mac-os-x/

Edit again again: so I guess I would move the home folder to an external then put a symlink to the home folder where it originally was, and time machine will back it all up, and I will be okay? We will see.

I just did the home folder relocation on my desktop tonight with a 128gb SSD. Time Machine so far is reporting the same backup size but i suspect i'd have to restore to a big HDD first and then split it up again.

Speeds are great but i'm starting to think about all the files in ~/Library and wondering if I should symlink them back onto the SSD

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

8ender posted:

I just did the home folder relocation on my desktop tonight with a 128gb SSD. Time Machine so far is reporting the same backup size but i suspect i'd have to restore to a big HDD first and then split it up again.

Speeds are great but i'm starting to think about all the files in ~/Library and wondering if I should symlink them back onto the SSD
I think the issue I had with restoring a dual drive setup before is that for a bare metal restore, TM only restored the boot volume. It's not too hard to fix things if the user drive is still ok (basically just fix symlinks and other user pointing stuff) but it's a little annoyance to watch out for. Granted this was years ago so things may be different now.

And yeah things will be better if your Library is on the SSD, there's a bunch of caches and other small files that are accessed a lot in there. Eventually I just set the home folder back on the SSD and left the big media folders on the platter drive cause of that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would it make sense to put folders individually on the HDD then: Music, Movies, Pictures, Documents and stuff like that?

Also, does anyone know if the apple store techs work on weekends? day 4 of my 3-5 day repair estimate today and I'm hoping to get my darn computer back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why is half my RAM gone when all I have open is iTerm?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

EVGA Longoria posted:

Problem I have is I can't really do the fullscreen since I'm connecting to multiple machines at the same time and multitasking between them, and that's kinda tedious. I picked up Jump Desktop and it's perfect.

Thanks for this - Jump rocks. It just made this week so much better.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bob Morales posted:

Change to "All Processes" and then sort the Real Mem column to see what's eating it up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vikingstrike posted:

Change to "All Processes" and then sort the Real Mem column to see what's eating it up.

kernel_task takes 449 MB - wondering how much is gobbled up by the HD 4000 and scaling to 1440x900.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Bob Morales posted:

It's not gone. Free RAM is wasted RAM. Green means the RAM isn't being used for something hopefully useful like caching files off disk. Once you use your computer enough after booting up, it'll slowly cache everything you need until the free RAM gets used up, and it'll automatically choose the stuff you haven't used in a while and kick it out when it needs more memory for new stuff.

The distinction between yellow and blue is not really that interesting. If you see the pie chart full of red, that's a different story.

A more interesting number is the 'page outs/second' value. If that is nonzero your computer is running out of space in RAM, if it's big enough you're thrashing and need more RAM or need to close some programs.

'Virtual Mem' is basically useless, 'Real Mem' is more relevant.

Bob Morales posted:

kernel_task takes 449 MB - wondering how much is gobbled up by the HD 4000 and scaling to 1440x900.

kernel_task taking up that much wired memory is expected, if you have integrated graphics then the huge chunk of RAM that's reserved to the graphics system is accounted to the kernel.

Have you updated to 10.8.2?

chimz fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 26, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there anyway for me to set fn + power to put the rMBP to sleep? As of right now I have to hit fn + option + command + power and I run the risk of miss-hitting and turning the thing straight off with fn + control + option + command + power button

I tried setting using automator but i have no idea what I'm doing :argh:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is there anyway for me to set fn + power to put the rMBP to sleep? As of right now I have to hit fn + option + command + power and I run the risk of miss-hitting and turning the thing straight off with fn + control + option + command + power button

I tried setting using automator but i have no idea what I'm doing :argh:

Why do complicated keystroke combinations when you can just hit the power button then the letter S?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

chimz posted:

kernel_task taking up that much wired memory is expected, if you have integrated graphics then the huge chunk of RAM that's reserved to the graphics system is accounted to the kernel.

Have you updated to 10.8.2?

Yes, I'm on 10.8.2

I'm usually one to tell people not to sperg out about free RAM measurements, but it just doesn't make any sense that my Air boots up with '700MB used' but this one boots up with '2000MB used'. All that is running on either one is DropBox and MenuMeters.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

smax posted:

Why do complicated keystroke combinations when you can just hit the power button then the letter S?

I wasn't aware that was an option. Thank you

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cmd+Option+Eject is good too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

:ssh: There's no eject key on the rMBP.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

carry on then posted:

Yep, that was my original problem. At least power + s is quick and simple

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

carry on then posted:

Huh, I guess the sleep screen button combo addition in ML didn't make it to the sleep command. Ctrl Shift Power never worked in Lion but they fixed that for the rMBP in ML.

edit: Just tested. Option Command Power sleeps the computer in ML on a rMBP. No fn needed.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

crazysim posted:

edit: Just tested. Option Command Power sleeps the computer in ML on a rMBP. No fn needed.

So it does, thanks.

On an unrelated topic:

Could anyone help me out on how to use this 4chan thread downloader? It comes as a .pro file. I tried following the instructions on the last comment but it's lost on me. It'd be greatly appreciated.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
It's the QT equivalent of like a Makefile used to compile the app. You've downloaded the source code. Unfortunately, it does not look like they offer a precompiled native OS X version on SourceForge.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 27, 2013

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Chuck Bartowski posted:

So it does, thanks.

On an unrelated topic:

Could anyone help me out on how to use this 4chan thread downloader? It comes as a .pro file. I tried following the instructions on the last comment but it's lost on me. It'd be greatly appreciated.

As stated above, it's a build file for Qt projects.

Here, I compiled the latest version for you as a .app: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4b441xcarapptz/4chan.zip

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 27, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Experto Crede posted:

As stated above, it's a build file for Qt projects.

Here, I compiled the latest version for you as a .app: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4b441xcarapptz/4chan.zip

I appreciate it but when trying to launch it I get this error message

I'm on 10.8.2

Is this just a general thing with the app or the version you compiled it on?

Edit: No idea why they made the app such :effort: to use. Apparently everyone on 4chan knows how to compile

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I appreciate it but when trying to launch it I get this error message

I'm on 10.8.2

Is this just a general thing with the app or the version you compiled it on?

Edit: No idea why they made the app such :effort: to use. Apparently everyone on 4chan knows how to compile

I forgot to include the qt libraries :doh:

Download the 4.8 (Version I used) library for OS X here

As for it being a ballache, well, there's a premade windows build and they probably assume unix users can suss out getting QT up and running. Plus they don't like "macfags"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Am I using iCloud scheduled reminders wrong? It seems like I come back to my desktop and see a bunch of notifications sitting there for things I already did and marked complete on my phone.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Experto Crede posted:

I forgot to include the qt libraries :doh:

Download the 4.8 (Version I used) library for OS X here

As for it being a ballache, well, there's a premade windows build and they probably assume unix users can suss out getting QT up and running. Plus they don't like "macfags"

Thanks a bunch :)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

smackfu posted:

Am I using iCloud scheduled reminders wrong? It seems like I come back to my desktop and see a bunch of notifications sitting there for things I already did and marked complete on my phone.

I have had this problem, also have had reminder completion not sync between devices. Usually opening the app fixes this for me.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

8ender posted:

This sounds like such a pain in the rear end compared to a fusion drive setup. What's keeping you on 10.6.8?

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

Wild EEPROM posted:

Ok, so, back around page 40 of this thread, someone posted a ridiculously powerful search tool for OS X. I forgot the name of it, but I could really use something like that right now.

What I have is a ton (about 20,000) folders, some with music, some with movies, and I want to sort them out.

Could it be Hazel?
http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

I've used it to clean up giant folders, and now it's constantly monitoring different folders to keep stuff organised.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Could anyone recommend me a flashcards program? I need an OSX/ioS app with the following functionality:

- Ability to create cards in OSX and test myself on the go on my ipad/iphone via an easy, automatic sync (no 'exporting as images')
- Support for pictures
- Ability to make subsets/labels

Thanks!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a new Mac with Mountain Lion preinstalled--can I download it from the App Store for free somehow so I can make a bootable USB drive in case I need to reinstall, or is there another way to do it?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If it's a brand new Mac, it will download OS X again for you if the drive is gone. Or you press CMD + R when booting to go to Recovery Mode.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I just used Recovery Disk Assistant.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

This let me make a bootable recovery disk with a flash drive

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wolffenstein posted:

If it's a brand new Mac, it will download OS X again for you if the drive is gone. Or you press CMD + R when booting to go to Recovery Mode.

That's right.. don't you just put in a blank HDD, it will detect that there is no OS and re-download it for you when you boot?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's right.. don't you just put in a blank HDD, it will detect that there is no OS and re-download it for you when you boot?
Sort of. You have to have access to a DHCP-enabled open Internet connection, and hold Cmd-Shift-R to boot to Internet Recovery.

That key command is also a good (albeit very slow) way to boot to a known-good "drive" and test things like the screen or keyboard, if you don't trust (or somehow lost) your Recovery partition.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Is there any secret to getting Messages to respect Do Not Disturb in Mountain Lion? It's obviously using it for the notification pop ups, but it's still making sounds when I get a message. Kind of defeats the purpose of DND, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

echobucket posted:

This sounds like such a pain in the rear end compared to a fusion drive setup. What's keeping you on 10.6.8?

I'm on Mountain Lion but I'm sort of partial to this way for now because I get to choose what is getting full SSD speed and what isn't. I'm also sort of holding out on the Fusion drive idea for a while until its been around for a while.

Also with Carbon Copy I was able to set this up in about 30 minutes. I left my home folder and OS on the SSD and symlinked back to the HDD for Downloads, Documents, Music and Pictures. Works great.