Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I've spent the last week doing a bunch of stuff, but most notable is implementing 'Enter' and 'Leave' scripting events. Video time! Although you might want to check the blog first... and make sure annotations are on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64eAKwO6ho

Blog post here.

And hey, I have some real art now, not just stuff ripped from Link to the Past. A replacement character is pending and should be ready sometime during next week. I'm excited to start a log on tigsource, I didn't really want to until I wasn't stealing art...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Just a crosspost from the Making Games Megathread with a little video I recorded showing the new blood particles I added in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x81yKAc3CP8
That robot has a lot of health.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Orzo posted:

I've spent the last week doing a bunch of stuff, but most notable is implementing 'Enter' and 'Leave' scripting events. Video time! Although you might want to check the blog first... and make sure annotations are on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64eAKwO6ho

Blog post here.

And hey, I have some real art now, not just stuff ripped from Link to the Past. A replacement character is pending and should be ready sometime during next week. I'm excited to start a log on tigsource, I didn't really want to until I wasn't stealing art...

This is coming out really awesome. Glad you kept on working on this. I really like the room within the room feature. Now that you're have someone making the art, I really encourage you to see how much different you can make it look from Zelda without people immediately realizing you used the same design aspects.

I've been doing something similar to you except with Super Metroid and reusing a lot of its tile graphics. Although it's a flying game and reminds me more of top-down Zelda except side scrolling!

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Mug posted:

Just a crosspost from the Making Games Megathread with a little video I recorded showing the new blood particles I added in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x81yKAc3CP8
That robot has a lot of health.
Neat! It looks like the particles come out in a straight line, maybe randomize the spread so they spray in a cone?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Scaevolus posted:

Neat! It looks like the particles come out in a straight line, maybe randomize the spread so they spray in a cone?

Yeah they're using the 'Bullet casing' physics set at the moment, I need to just make a blood config where they'll spread on the floor.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I made a short video for my GTD style web app, Elephant. You can try the thing out at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApNYF0QAXTg

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Maluco Marinero posted:

I made a short video for my GTD style web app, Elephant. You can try the thing out at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApNYF0QAXTg

This looks super useful! It would be nice if it could link to an external calendar for mobile access (IE: GMail or Exchange)

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I found an interesting paper the other day: Path Space Regularization for Holistic and Robust Light Transport. It presents an interesting sort of inversion of Progressive Photon Mapping for caustic paths in path tracers. Instead of allowing specular paths to connect to the camera as in PPM, it allows direct connection between specular vertices and light sources as long as the angle between them is small. By progressively reducing allowable angle, the computed image will eventually converge to the correct result, making the estimator biased, but consistent.

I decided to whip up a quick path tracer to test it out:

Plain old path tracing with multiple importance sampling after 1 minute, about 120 samples per pixel:

Caustics can only be sampled by paths randomly hitting the light source. This looks awful, and will continue to look awful for many, many hours.

Same computation time, but with direct connection.

All of those awful fireflies are gone, but at the cost of slightly blurry caustics. They'll get less blurry as you let it render though, so it's a fair trade-off in my opinion.

The nice thing about the whole algorithm is how simple it is. It's implementation added all of six lines to my path tracer's code. It's also orthogonal to path space sampling optimizations like Metropolis Light Transport, so it should provide benefit even when you can sample caustics efficiently.

Perhaps I'll throw together an MLT sampler and see how things work out.

steckles fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 2, 2013

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Fruit Smoothies posted:

This looks super useful! It would be nice if it could link to an external calendar for mobile access (IE: GMail or Exchange)

Thanks!

At the moment it is just a standalone offline prototype with no central server. I'm not really certain I could use Google Calendar's API whilst keeping it like that.

My target product is a desktop web app like the one shown, a mobile focused web app, and a web server for backup and sync. Certainly look to hook into existing services for contacts, calendars, and so on where it's applicable.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Cross-post from the making games thread. Screenshot in youtube format, because I'm not cool enough to make animated gifs (yet).

This is probably my favorite Jones On Fire bug of all time. The kitties are just SO. EXCITED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pRYPg2TJO8

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I gave a talk a couple of months back, at EMF camp. The recordings finally surfaced, so I put it online.

http://programmingisterrible.com/post/41880113409/a-bad-programmer-talks-about-bad-programming

Dolex
May 5, 2001

visualization of the mitochondrial DNA of yeast

dna downloaded from http://ensembl.org

made with Processing ( http://processing.org )

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Dolex posted:

visualization of the mitochondrial DNA of yeast

dna downloaded from http://ensembl.org

made with Processing ( http://processing.org )

Oh wow. Had you ever used processing before this? How would you describe the difficulty of getting "up and running" so to speak?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Oh wow. Had you ever used processing before this? How would you describe the difficulty of getting "up and running" so to speak?

Processing is the best for learning to do this. There are step by step small example code pages right on their site, it even runs in browser. You can copy it into Processing and mess with it to learn. Do it. Go go go go go.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I have taught children with no prior programming experience how to make asteroids clones and zelda games in a week with Processing. It is very easy to get started, especially if you have used C, C++, Java or basically any other curly-bracket language before. Processing is literally Java run through a preprocessor that saves you some boilerplate and a convenient graphics API.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
as a result of some drunken coding this weekend, i built this thing

http://0x41.co/map (then click somewhere)

it's cool if you are bored and like exploring, works best for non-US points, and still errors out occasionally for reasons i'm not sure of, but i'm still (sorta) working on it.

(also google has a limit of api requests so i'm not sure when that will be hit)

Dolex
May 5, 2001

Tres Burritos posted:

I teach Processing workshops in my city (Memphis, TN). It's really easy, I get people up and running in less than an hour. I spend about an hour teaching syntax, then I dive directly into stuff like this for two hours.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Pie Colony posted:

as a result of some drunken coding this weekend, i built this thing

http://0x41.co/map (then click somewhere)

it's cool if you are bored and like exploring, works best for non-US points, and still errors out occasionally for reasons i'm not sure of, but i'm still (sorta) working on it.

(also google has a limit of api requests so i'm not sure when that will be hit)

I'm not sure what this is supposed to do. I clicked an Eastern European country and got sent to Wikipedia for New York city. Went back, did it again on France, got sent to the Wikipedia page for San Francisco.

e: And zooming in, then clicking just makes the page refresh.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Red Mike posted:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to do. I clicked an Eastern European country and got sent to Wikipedia for New York city. Went back, did it again on France, got sent to the Wikipedia page for San Francisco.

e: And zooming in, then clicking just makes the page refresh.

it's definitely not super accurate right now since it relies on a heuristic for search, but i don't know, i'm getting accuracies of at least 75%. (it's supposed to take you to the wikipedia page for whatever place you click on)

if it just refreshes, chances are it errored out during the reverse geocoding process... but i'm workin' on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tef posted:

I gave a talk a couple of months back, at EMF camp. The recordings finally surfaced, so I put it online.

http://programmingisterrible.com/post/41880113409/a-bad-programmer-talks-about-bad-programming

I didn't watch but 5 minutes or so because I'm a busy important man, but I like what I saw so far. I spend most of my hobby time reading and talking about cognitive research, psychology, and the like, and what you're talking about is a specific example of a more general phenomena which pretty much describes humanity.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Pie Colony posted:

it's definitely not super accurate right now since it relies on a heuristic for search, but i don't know, i'm getting accuracies of at least 75%. (it's supposed to take you to the wikipedia page for whatever place you click on)

if it just refreshes, chances are it errored out during the reverse geocoding process... but i'm workin' on it.

Clicking on the middle of Australia gave me Agent Orange.

Is that trying to tell me something about Australia?

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

It's an iphone (later android) app I'm working on with a cartoonist. 100% hand drawn animation. One week till submission. This is literally the first time the outside world has seen anything, because we are terrible with promotion.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

I feel kind of like I'm creating MongoDB in PHP...

What I am creating is a simplified class for storing files, which will actually store the files in multiple redundant locations (such as folders on the local or network attached filesystem, Aws S3, rackspace cloudfiles, etc.)

The idea is that it's used like this:

php:
<?
$file = StorageHandler::put('somefile.pdf');

echo $file->uuid(); // fba9ae30-5d19-4add-bdf8-da6972060356
?>
And that will automatically "put" the file on any stores that were configured. When you want to fetch the file again (and spit it out to the browser), you do this:

php:
<?
$file = StorageHandler::fetch('fba9ae30-5d19-4add-bdf8-da6972060356');

header(‘Content-type: ’ . $file->getMime());
header(‘Content-length: ’ . $file->getFilesize());
echo $file->fetchData();
?>
What it does internally, is that it will check the configured stores for the file in the order specified by the 'read priority', and return the file data from the first one that can actually find the file.

This way, if I lose access to a particular cloud provider, or the network storage isn't working, then I can probably still fetch the file from SOMEWHERE.

The screenshot is from the management console, where I can configure and monitor different stores (soon there will be usage graphs, etc.)

bobthecheese fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 8, 2013

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Would something like http://tahoe-lafs.org/ work?

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Similar concept, but I'm doing this one in PHP. It's really just an abstraction layer over multiple file systems, but it adds a few other features such as:

* Seamless file encryption/decryption
* Ability to manually control "read", "write", and "delete" permissions (no modifying existing files, though)
* Ability to use a "MetaAdaptor" to change the permissions of a store for a particular user/application (i.e. one application can write, but not read - say as an anonymous uploader, then another application can use a meta adaptor to access the store with different permissions)
* Ability to fit in with a bunch of existing systems
* Compliance with regulations around storing PHI/HIPPA material (medical records, Rx certificates, etc)
* Easy migration of 10 years worth of existing data

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I finally just implemented Dijkstra's path-finding algorithm for the first time. And I did it in Unity/C#. Each of the examples I found usually used some methodology that I wasn't familiar with (like a Priority queue's decrease-key function) and so I had to realize that the differences I was seeing across examples were because of differences in implementation's of the algorithm. So I pieced together my own implementation from reading 3 or 4 resources to gain a competent understanding of the algorithm.

I've had AI in 2D games before, and tried implementing Dijkstra's but for whatever reason would become inundated with confusion. So all my games had basic "where is target? Move linearly towards target" and run into walls and stuff. Now with this one implementation in unity, I can take my understanding and go back and apply it to those earlier projects. I can also start using this going forward with html canvas development.

This node and path system is going to be the basis of my city builder game. I'm going to have each node offer something (like a job, food, entertainment, etc) and pathfinders that act like SimCity agents to fill their needs by going to the nodes.

So that's what 3 days being sick at home off from work got me.

The blue nodes denote nodes that have been walked and their best path known. The brown shows node in the path from the source to the target.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 8, 2013

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I'm working on some city builder / economy thingy, using DirectX 10 under C++11 and a bit of VC's Concurrency runtime. Somehow coding became fun again with the new standard...

Edit: sorry for the jpg artifacts, but imgur doesn't like huge .pngs.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wipfmetz posted:

I'm working on some city builder / economy thingy, using DirectX 10 under C++11 and a bit of VC's Concurrency runtime. Somehow coding became fun again with the new standard...

Edit: sorry for the jpg artifacts, but imgur doesn't like huge .pngs.
Wow that looks really cool. Who does your assets? You? And are they tiles or rendered 3D mdoels?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

KoRMaK posted:

Wow that looks really cool. Who does your assets? You? And are they tiles or rendered 3D mdoels?

It's all modeled in Blender and rendered to 2D-Sprites. The project itself is a single-man-project, with the single man beeing me. Unfortunately, that means there's neither sound nor music nor pleasant english.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Whoo got my webcam to take a picture using all this poo poo.

I have no idea why it's red, but I suspect the weird YUV 4:2:2 format being displayed as YUV may have something to do with it.

Bonus points if you can name that O'Reilly book.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I've been following some of these tutorials on SDL and managed to whip up this thing as a test "game". I can move the little swordsman around on the hex grid and get him to turn to face in any of the 6 directions. He can't move off the grid and there isn't anything for him to interact with, but it works and it's nice for me. The code isn't well-thought-out though, it's a mess. This is just a proof of concept for me.

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 24, 2020

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

Hammerite posted:

I've been following some of these tutorials on SDL and managed to whip up this thing as a test "game". I can move the little swordsman around on the hex grid and get him to turn to face in any of the 6 directions. He can't move off the grid and there isn't anything for him to interact with, but it works and it's nice for me. The code isn't well-thought-out though, it's a mess. This is just a proof of concept for me.

Hex DROD? Color me excited.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

iopred posted:

Hex DROD? Color me excited.

I might eventually have a go at something in that direction! But right now I'm just playing around and can't really devote much time to personal projects.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
My iOS app got a major UI overhaul. I've also been working on the last of the new features prior to what I'm calling my minimum viable product.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Been playing around with generating SVGs programmatically. I made a 2012 election map by county, adjusting by population density. The template I stole from wikipedia, and the election results from the Small Custom App thread.

Log plot, leaving off the 100 densest counties.

Cube root of adjustment, leaving off 100 the densest counties.

Square root of adjustment, leaving off 250 the densest counties.

Linear plot, leaving off nothing. Turns out some counties are really dense. :downs:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

This is one of the text-doctored screenshots that we'll use in the app store, for Jones On Fire

... it just got uploaded for review :neckbeard:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

You have some pretty severe artifacting there, make sure you say high quality PNGs when you upload official screens

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

a slime posted:

You have some pretty severe artifacting there, make sure you say high quality PNGs when you upload official screens
The submitted screenshots were indeed super huge PNGs. Imgur, understandably, encoded it down a bit.

EDIT: oh, dammit. Checked the actual PNGs, that artifacting is in the screenshots themselves. Somehow, you were the only one to notice it. The settings defaulted wrong. Dammit. Let's see if I can update those before the app leaves "Waiting for review" state...

Regardless, thanks for catching that. You're the only person that noticed.

EDIT2: Hah! Got updated screenshots in place before the review window closed. Again, thank you so much.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 24, 2020