Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rirse posted:

Wish they would reveal what happening with the WiiU Virtual Console. I was thinking of buying some VC games to fill the holes in my collection, but it's hard to buy stuff from the Wii side these days without knowing around the corner the WiiU VC will get announced and you would have to rebuy everything you had.

Waiting is fine, until you start seeing things like Donkey Kong Country and Sim City get pulled without warning.
Same here. There is so much money I'm ready to give them for VC stuff. But I'm in this annoying limbo waiting for these announcements and I know I'm not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (January 24):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U eSHOP
    The Cave - €12.99 / £9.99
    The Cave (demo)
    Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed (demo)
WIIWARE
    Babel Rising - 500 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Nintendo Presents: New Style Boutique (update)
3DS eSHOP
    PICROSS e2 - €4.99 / £4.49
    35 Junior Games - €4.99 / £4.49
DSIWARE
    Snowboard Extreme - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition - 30% off until February 7

The New Style Boutique update is live now, apparently. No idea what it does.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, The Cave is live on the Wii U eShop. No idea about the demo.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I can report that the demo is not up as of this posting. Dunno if it's a delay and it'll be up later tonight or we're not getting it until Thurs or what.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Any idea when the Euro shop updates?

edit: Ooh. More Picross. Lovely.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 22, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Teenage Fansub posted:

Any idea when the Euro shop updates?

edit: Ooh. More Picross. Lovely.

Any news on whether the puzzles will be better/bigger this time? Picross e was a bit of a disappointment compared to Picross DS.

Also the Sonic racing demo came out a few days ago, not on the 24th.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two bits of news:

-Capcom has officially announced Resident Evil Revelations HD; it's a (full-price) port of the 3DS game with a few extra bells and whistles. PC/PS3 release is due in May, Wii U/360 dates are coming "at a later date". (EDIT: there's also a retail release on May 21 for all platforms.)

-NA is getting an Etrian Odyssey 4 demo on the 3DS eShop on February 7, and you'll be able to transfer your save file from the demo to the real game.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Any news on whether the puzzles will be better/bigger this time? Picross e was a bit of a disappointment compared to Picross DS.

Also the Sonic racing demo came out a few days ago, not on the 24th.

I know the demo came out earlier, but Nintendo puts 'em on the press releases anyway because Thursday is update day and they're not diligent enough to update people when things are actually released.

RE: Picross e2, there are roughly the same amount of standard puzzles, but they've also added some giant "micross" puzzles and changed the interface a little. Nothing major, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 23, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's all the online/eShop-related news from the latest Nintendo Direct (Wii U):

-Two system updates are in the works; one will be out in spring, one in summer. Both updates will address slow game/menu loading and make adjustments to the usability/filtering features of Miiverse.

-The Wii U Virtual Console will officially launch alongside the spring update! A select number of NES/SNES titles will be available at launch; the service will also support GBA games in the future. Wii U VC games feature save states a la 3DS VC, Miiverse boards and off-TV play. Pricing scheme will be the same as on the Wii VC; users who have previously purchased individual games on the Wii VC will be able to re-buy them at a substantial discount. (99c for NES games, I think it said $1.50 for SNES games?)

-Nintendo will be doing a "Wii U Virtual Console Trial Campaign" in the lead-up to the official launch; a select NES/SNES title will be purchasable at the price of 30c for 30 days, with a different title on offer each month. The games are:

Balloon Fight (up now! (allegedly))
F-Zero
Punch-Out
Kirby's Adventure
Super Metroid
Mario & Yoshi
Donkey Kong Jr.

-Miiverse will be getting a community feature a la Mario Kart 7, available as part of the spring update. Wii Fit U will be the first title with community support.

-Miiverse support for smartphones will also roll out this spring; it'll initially be via browser, but an official Miiverse app is in development and will come later. NNID login required.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

RE: Picross e2, there are roughly the same amount of standard puzzles, but they've also added some giant "micross" puzzles and changed the interface a little. Nothing major, I guess.

Sold!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

You can get Balloon Fight now if you go to the Miiverse page for it and click on the drop down next to "favorite".

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011
The Cave (full game and demo) available now on the EU shop.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
When does the 3DS shop update? I want some more Picross :(

Also gently caress all the consoles for getting The Cave early. :mad:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

When does the 3DS shop update? I want some more Picross :(

Also gently caress all the consoles for getting The Cave early. :mad:

At least it coming out on time. PC version got delayed until the 24th out of the blue.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Rirse posted:

At least it coming out on time. PC version got delayed until the 24th out of the blue.

That's what I'm talking about. Wii U and PS3 got it on time, PC is delayed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 24):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U eSHOP
    The Cave - €12.99 / £9.99
    The Cave (demo)
    Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed (demo)
WIIWARE
    Babel Rising - 500 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Nintendo Presents: New Style Boutique (update)
3DS eSHOP
    PICROSS e2 - €4.99 / £4.49
    35 Junior Games - €4.99 / £4.49
DSIWARE
    Snowboard Extreme - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Balloon Fight (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30, available until February 21
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition - 30% off until February 7

NA update (week of January 24):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Funky Barn - ?
WII U eSHOP
    The Cave - $14.99
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Cocoto Alien Brick Breaker - $4.99
    Brain Age: Concentration Training (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super C (NES) - $4.99
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Balloon Fight (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30, available until February 21

Konami's skipped the original Contra and gone straight to Super C, just like they did on the Wii VC. I wonder why they keep doing that...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
Funky Barn - ?

Oh man, it looks like they finally brought the funk

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NA update (week of January 24):

Konami's skipped the original Contra and gone straight to Super C, just like they did on the Wii VC. I wonder why they keep doing that...

The original is probably something Konami figures they can apply the Square Tax to and charge more for. Maybe another ReBirth game is happening but more like a remake?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I was waiting to see what Ghost Recon would sell for in the eShop, but physical copies sell for half the price. -_-

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Other than "So cheap its almost free" Balloon Fight on the Wii U, not much interesting this week.

I guess Super C but I haven't played Contra so that doesn't really matter to me.

I do love that the VC games are in the correct Aspect Ratio though, no more stretching to fill the screen.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
drat, so if I buy something on the original VC, games will be stretched to fill a 16:9 screen, with no way to change it? Or is that a region-specific problem like that 50Hz thing I keep hearing about?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Minidust posted:

drat, so if I buy something on the original VC, games will be stretched to fill a 16:9 screen, with no way to change it? Or is that a region-specific problem like that 50Hz thing I keep hearing about?

All widescreen on the Wii was anamorphic, which is still true for Wii mode on Wii U. This means that even when you're in widescreen mode for a widescreen TV, what you're technically getting is a 4:3 signal that's designed to be stretched out.

VC games don't do this because that would require compressing the image horizontally and distorting it, so those titles just send the 4:3 signal as-is. Which means you have to tell your TV not to stretch it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Supercar Gautier posted:

All widescreen on the Wii was anamorphic, which is still true for Wii mode on Wii U. This means that even when you're in widescreen mode for a widescreen TV, what you're technically getting is a 4:3 signal that's designed to be stretched out.

VC games don't do this because that would require compressing the image horizontally and distorting it, so those titles just send the 4:3 signal as-is. Which means you have to tell your TV not to stretch it.
That's actually not so bad now that I think about it. I've got a Harmony remote, so I'll just add a 4:3 TV toggle button in the remote's Wii U mode.:snoop: Thanks for expounding!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super C has a neat feature: not only does it include local wireless play, but it supports download play, meaning you only need one copy of the game to play two-player. I think that's a first for the 3DS VC, at least outside of Japan.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So Balloon Fight on the Wii U is 36 mb and 30 cents. Both of these facts are surprises I wouldn't have guessed a week ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the VC wrappers are massively bloated. The NES games on Wii were around 12-13MB at a minimum.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Spacebump posted:

So Balloon Fight on the Wii U is 36 mb and 30 cents. Both of these facts are surprises I wouldn't have guessed a week ago.

If 35MB of that is controller mapping I am perfectly fine with this. :colbert:

Then again I'm also a crazy that bought at 2TB hard drive just for my U. That causes my U to randomly tell me was disconnected and I have to unplug it to get it to turn back on :argh:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Because it's the better NES Contra game. :colbert::madmax:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Boten Anna posted:

That causes my U to randomly tell me was disconnected and I have to unplug it to get it to turn back on :argh:

The only good external hard drive is an internal hard drive you put in a known good external enclosure (and if it's 3.5", it's not good unless it has a fan on it).

Actually if you don't give a crap about warranties - and since they only get you back your storage, not your data, I'm not all too sure you should - you might be able to pop it out of its enclosure and drop it in one that doesn't suck. Unless it's a Western Digital 2.5" external, because those shitlords use a controller board with a USB port and no SATA port.

Although if you do this, uh, SUPER back up your stuff.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 25, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a Trine 2 update out on the PAL eShop - I think it's a gamma correction fix, or did they already release that? I forget.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The only good external hard drive is an internal hard drive you put in a known good external enclosure (and if it's 3.5", it's not good unless it has a fan on it).

Actually if you don't give a crap about warranties - and since they only get you back your storage, not your data, I'm not all too sure you should - you might be able to pop it out of its enclosure and drop it in one that doesn't suck. Unless it's a Western Digital 2.5" external, because those shitlords use a controller board with a USB port and no SATA port.

Although if you do this, uh, SUPER back up your stuff.

What's annoying is it's painfully obvious it's just the external spinning down, and instead of the U freaking out it should, oh I don't know, try to spin up the drive again?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Boten Anna posted:

What's annoying is it's painfully obvious it's just the external spinning down, and instead of the U freaking out it should, oh I don't know, try to spin up the drive again?

Ahhhhh. Yeah, most external drives are 'green' or equivalent, which have aggressive power saving, and how the hell does Nintendo not compensate for that.

You might not need to swap the enclosure then - go to the manufacturer's website (or get on Google) and dig up something that disables the spindown timer. You'll probably have to look it up by the drive's complete model number.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two bits of news:

-The Trine 2 devs have confirmed an AU/NZ release for next week, along with plans for a launch discount. The patch that just went live in EU should hit NA in a week or two.

-Japan just got a Nintendo Direct Mini broadcast that mentioned the 3DS Save Transfer Tool would be out in March, so expect a similar date worldwide

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 31):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition - €59.99 / £49.99
WII U eSHOP
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (AU/NZ)- ?
    Zen Pinball 2 - free, additional tables begin at €2.99 / £2.39
3DS eSHOP
    The Beet Party: Beet Scratch (video) - €0.99 / £0.89
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U) - 30% off until February 7

Whole lotta nothin' for 3DS owners this week.

Zen Pinball 2 includes one table as part of the free download; all the others need to be bought separately. No idea if they're available as a bundle or if you have to buy them individually.

The $AUD price for Trine 2 wasn't listed on the press release and probably won't be listed on Thursday, so you'll just have to go into the store when it launches and find out for yourself. The devs did say it'd be getting an introductory discount, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Re-post with the Zen Pinball DLC listed:

PAL update (week of January 31):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition - €59.99 / £49.99
WII U eSHOP
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (AU/NZ)- ?
    Zen Pinball 2 - free, additional tables begin at €2.99 / £2.39
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Zen Pinball 2 DLC Table Packs - €9.99 each
  • Zen Classic Pack featuring Tesla, El Dorado, V12 and Shaman
  • Marvel Pinball featuring Spider-Man, Wolverine, Blade and Iron Man
  • Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles featuring Marvel’s The Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet, World War Hulk, and Fear Itself
  • Marvel Pinball: Vengeance and Virtue featuring X-Men, Thor, Ghost Rider and Moon Knight
    Zen Pinball 2 DLC Tables - €2.99 each
  • Excalibur
  • Earth Defense
  • Sorcerer's Lair
  • Paranormal
  • Mars
  • Epic Quest
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • Fantastic Four
  • Captain America
3DS eSHOP
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U) - 30% off until February 7

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

quote:

3DS eSHOP

Why did I buy a 3DS again?

Oh hey, those of you who were tricked by Club Nintendo's shaky wording of the whole free games for 3DSxl thing and registered your 3dsxl without clicking on some banner, (Which I did cos I got an XL at launch) should send Nintendo an email about it within the next few days. They promised to send me a late code.

Sgriosadair
Jan 4, 2013

SOINVLKSEQYTNVKDVI
PDENVOVMSLGVNVKOU
OIHGJHKHLVNOWOPJT

Teim posted:

Why did I buy a 3DS again?

Oh hey, those of you who were tricked by Club Nintendo's shaky wording of the whole free games for 3DSxl thing and registered your 3dsxl without clicking on some banner, (Which I did cos I got an XL at launch) should send Nintendo an email about it within the next few days. They promised to send me a late code.

I will have to do that, thanks.... Apparently I missed this banner.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Let me guess this is for Europe, as I don't see any listing in the North American Club Nintendo about free games for buying a XL.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Ahhhhh. Yeah, most external drives are 'green' or equivalent, which have aggressive power saving, and how the hell does Nintendo not compensate for that.

You might not need to swap the enclosure then - go to the manufacturer's website (or get on Google) and dig up something that disables the spindown timer. You'll probably have to look it up by the drive's complete model number.

Yeah problem is, I think when you have big hard drives (1TB or bigger) a lot of them have the power down when idle routine. This is one that runs off it's own power supply right?

I think you might have to ditch that and go for one that runs power off the USB.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rirse posted:

Let me guess this is for Europe, as I don't see any listing in the North American Club Nintendo about free games for buying a XL.

It's exclusive to the European region, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh, yeah sorry that thing was a Euro only offer. I was told to expect a code "some time".