Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

TheMostFrench posted:

Like I was saying, no one is inclined to lose their rookie status - it only means they have played both sides and done a cumulative hour of commanding (that adds up to like 2-4 reasonable length matches), but if you wanted to lose it, that is my suggestion of how it could be implemented. Until a step by step in game tutorial is implemented which prompts the player how to do things (place a cyst here, wait for the infestation, now place a resource tower - marine equivalent here) there aren't going to be tons of people willing to try it without some kind of promotion style encouragement.

This would only increase the amount of inexperienced people running to the com chair.

Speaking of, I wish the commander name would be a different color if Com's a rookie. I don't usually have problems with rookies going commander as long as they ask/warn first (every now and then, when I really just want to play a game where we have a decent chance of winning), but I'll try to be a little more verbose in my requests and get a little less peeved at com if they're slow with dropping stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Honestly, rookie status should be self-managed. When you feel comfortable enough playing the game, uncheck the box.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Suspicious posted:

Honestly, rookie status should be self-managed. When you feel comfortable enough playing the game, uncheck the box.

This. Why isn't it just left up to the player to decide when to turn it off?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Isn't that the current system?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AgentF posted:

It goes away automatically after like 4 hours of play time.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

AgentF posted:

Yes, but it auto turns off after 4 (I think) hours played.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bloodmobile posted:

Gathers are alive and well in Europe but died in America around december. It's hard to be competitive in a game where matches end up as ties with aliens winning both rounds 99% of the time.

Is this really how pro games go? Because that's a pretty definite answer on the whole issue of game balance if it's true.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've been playing for a short time now and I think the aliens need to have more emphasis on their commander. As a marine you need to not only maintain a high resource count, your commander has to chuck down buildings and do research to cover your early movement problems and unlock more powerful gear. The aliens just have to kill enough dudes to turn into a giant rear end in a top hat and stomp up your base. If the later evolutions had to be unlocked and vents had to be opened up by attacking it or getting cysts near them it would cut back on marines getting shredded early on, resulting in big aliens rushing in.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is this really how pro games go? Because that's a pretty definite answer on the whole issue of game balance if it's true.
Yes, pretty much, although it's just in the last couple of patches than aliens have been this ridiculous. Although since the release brought in a lot of potential pro gamers, the lovely balance probably drove a lot of them right off again.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm absolutely dreadful at this game. When I'm an alien, I get shot by marines all the time. When I'm a marine, it's worse; the aliens jump around at the speed of light and I can't hit poo poo. I'm not bad at other shooters, but something about the gunplay in this game just feels off to me. It's like there's no weight to the guns, or something. I'm also never satisfied with my mouse sensitivity no matter what I adjust it to.

Is there something I'm doing drastically wrong?

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm absolutely dreadful at this game. When I'm an alien, I get shot by marines all the time. When I'm a marine, it's worse; the aliens jump around at the speed of light and I can't hit poo poo. I'm not bad at other shooters, but something about the gunplay in this game just feels off to me. It's like there's no weight to the guns, or something. I'm also never satisfied with my mouse sensitivity no matter what I adjust it to.

Alien? Always be jumping. (Jumpers are stupid hard to hit.)

Marine? Always be strafing. (Strafe speed is higher than backpedal speed)

Ask for advice. NS2 player are, in my experience, second only to SpyParty players in wanting to share intimate strategies. Buy a mic.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Anonymous Robot posted:

Just stick with me, we will both die with honor.

If you ain't good at murdering people, try repairing and running cover fire. I try to use my corpse to slow down enemies from the good players too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guesticles posted:

Speaking of, I wish the commander name would be a different color if Com's a rookie.
This. There's been numerous times where our team has been all "Com drop the power in vent. Com. Com what are you doing. Com why are you putting sentries everywhere. Com why do we have no upgrades or phases. Com are you AFK" until ten minutes in the Com types "THIS IS MY FIRST GAME" into allchat and quits the server. Since I'm a eurogoon it's even harder to tell what the story is because on top of the usual reasons a Com might be completely ignoring your questions if the maybe 1 in 4 chance that the com just doesn't speak any English. Which is fine, I only speak English, bad Irish, and awful German, but it makes it harder to determine if your commander isn't listening/communicating because they're new (and as such needs gentle guidance) or isn't listening/communicating because they're awful (and as such needs gentle ejecting from the command chair) when there's the third option of that they actually has no idea what you're saying (and as such you need to just kind of shrug and hope they know what they're doing).

Psalmanazar posted:

and vents had to be opened up by attacking it or getting cysts near them it would cut back on marines getting shredded early on, resulting in big aliens rushing in.
By vents do you mean resource nozzles* or tech points? If the former, you do have to cyst up to resource nozzles to build on them. If the latter, it used to be like that but it made it incredibly easy to lock down Aliens to one hive. Also, given how long they take to build, dropping an early hive without either static or mobile defences and/or a gorge to speedbuild it will kind of bone you.

StoicRomance posted:

Marine? Always be strafing. (Strafe speed is higher than backpedal speed)
Also if you backpedal while strafing you actually move slower than just strafing. Training yourself not to walk backwards in combat is the hardest, and second most important, part of being a marine. The most important is, obviously, understanding that "A marine" is a synonym for "corpse".
*It appears this is the first time in my life I've ever had to type the word "nozzle" because for a moment I had absolutely no idea how to spell it. Seriously, look at it, how is that a real word

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 29, 2013

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Psalmanazar posted:

I've been playing for a short time now and I think the aliens need to have more emphasis on their commander. As a marine you need to not only maintain a high resource count, your commander has to chuck down buildings and do research to cover your early movement problems and unlock more powerful gear. The aliens just have to kill enough dudes to turn into a giant rear end in a top hat and stomp up your base. If the later evolutions had to be unlocked and vents had to be opened up by attacking it or getting cysts near them it would cut back on marines getting shredded early on, resulting in big aliens rushing in.

Yeah pretty much. For all the poo poo Marines have to do, Skulks just don't have a care in the world really. If they die whatever they respawn throw on celerity if they have to and get back to where you died within 20 seconds. Marines die they have to haul rear end down a series of 90 degree angles and always stay alert because there's just a million ways for the Aliens to ambush you, and this isn't taking Cloak into consideration.

Early Game (like, within the first few minutes) as a Marine is the most frustrating poo poo in the world because you need to be aggressive otherwise you won't get map control and you will lose, but you also have to be on the defensive because they will rush and you might not be able to get back in time and you will lose but if you are too defensive then the whole map control issue comes up again and arrrgggghhhh.

One more thing I hate how vulnerable Marine RT's are and I hate how Aliens seem to need less RT's then Marines do. As a Marine Commander I can't do poo poo without at least 4 RTs, and meanwhile Aliens win games on 4 RT's.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah pretty much. For all the poo poo Marines have to do, Skulks just don't have a care in the world really. If they die whatever they respawn throw on celerity if they have to and get back to where you died within 20 seconds. Marines die they have to haul rear end down a series of 90 degree angles and always stay alert because there's just a million ways for the Aliens to ambush you, and this isn't taking Cloak into consideration.

Early Game (like, within the first few minutes) as a Marine is the most frustrating poo poo in the world because you need to be aggressive otherwise you won't get map control and you will lose, but you also have to be on the defensive because they will rush and you might not be able to get back in time and you will lose but if you are too defensive then the whole map control issue comes up again and arrrgggghhhh.
More and more I'm beginning to lean towards the idea of giving every marine a turret. The big problem with turrets is that they're tres that could be spent on something more useful. If turrets were pres based it would make them so much better.

Basically make every Marine a TF2 Engineer.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Splicer posted:

More and more I'm beginning to lean towards the idea of giving every marine a turret. The big problem with turrets is that they're tres that could be spent on something more useful. If turrets were pres based it would make them so much better.

Basically make every Marine a TF2 Engineer.

That could be really interesting to see in action. Make turrets a research item at Robotics that allows marines to either spawn with or purchase a single deployable turret that requires no batteries. It would give turrets more flexibility in terms of how they're used, and act as an added bit of security for both offensive and defensive marines.

Then again, I would also love to see hand grenades make a comeback in one form or another.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Mines are pres turrets. Adding actual turrets as pres items would be the most retarded thing they could possibly do.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 29, 2013

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Splicer posted:

By vents do you mean resource nozzles* or tech points? If the former, you do have to cyst up to resource nozzles to build on them. If the latter, it used to be like that but it made it incredibly easy to lock down Aliens to one hive. Also, given how long they take to build, dropping an early hive without either static or mobile defences and/or a gorge to speedbuild it will kind of bone you.

No man he means vents. The things that are orange on the map and marines can't get to some without jetpacks. He wants to take away these hiding spots/shortcuts early game so that neither team has an innately faster way to go across the map early in the match, while also preventing aliens from hiding in places where they straight up can't be shot for at least a couple minutes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MC2552John posted:

No man he means vents. The things that are orange on the map and marines can't get to some without jetpacks. He wants to take away these hiding spots/shortcuts early game so that neither team has an innately faster way to go across the map early in the match, while also preventing aliens from hiding in places where they straight up can't be shot for at least a couple minutes.
Yup, I'm dumb. In that case he's basically looking for weldable doors/vents to come back, which I think everyone wants.

Bloodmobile posted:

Mines are pres turrets. Adding actual turrets as pres items would be the most retarded thing they could possibly do.
Thank you for your insightful commentary. Would you care to elaborate or do you feel this truth-bomb stands up on its own?

Not saying you're wrong, just saying you're lazy.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

Thank you for your insightful commentary. Would you care to elaborate or do you feel this truth-bomb stands up on its own?

Not saying you're wrong, just saying you're lazy.

Mines are annoying enough in the early game. Having half the marines getting mines and half getting turrets and having turrets covered in mines everywhere would make dedicated alien players uninstall before entering midgame.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodmobile posted:

Mines are annoying enough in the early game. Having half the marines getting mines and half getting turrets and having turrets covered in mines everywhere would make dedicated alien players uninstall before entering midgame.
Ok, now assume we're talking about one turret per marine, as described, as opposed to infinite pres-based turret spam which would, yes, be retarded.

e: Please note that I am speaking as someone who strongly prefers Alien play.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

Ok, now assume we're talking about one turret per marine, as described, as opposed to infinite pres-based turret spam which would, yes, be retarded.

e: Please note that I am speaking as someone who strongly prefers Alien play.

In a pub of 20 players, that would still mean you could have 6-7 turrets with mines on them, which is more than enough to cover pretty much every key location in any map.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodmobile posted:

In a pub of 20 players, that would still mean you could have 6-7 turrets with mines on them, which is more than enough to cover pretty much every key location in any map.
The game already breaks down when you hit 20 players, it's designed for 16 max. Ignoring that, currently you can have three turrets per room. Assuming two bases, that's 6 turrets ignoring ones in adjacent rooms. In order to have the same number of turrets you would need 6 out of 9 players (ignoring the commander), or 2/3 of the team, dropping turrets down. That's 6 people giving up a substantial amount of early-game res which could otherwise have been spent on mines, welders, shotguns etc. Sure it'd require balancing and tweaking, turrets might need to be reloaded (as I said, TF2 engineer) but that's a far cry from "unworkable, gently caress it".

e: Assuming that Turrets have a research cost then the Commander is making a choice between mines and turrets early game. Given how much you seem to hate mines, I think you'd appreciate less early-game mines.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 29, 2013

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I can't believe anyone really gets upset over mines. They're a one-time expensive defense option for marines structures. They're utterly ineffective against 4/5 lifeforms or a skulk with carapace. Or even a careful skulk. A vanilla skulk that creeps up to the edge of a mine's blast radius will set it off without being killed. Then a marines is out 15 pres for absolutely no reason. I'm also pretty sure that if you're patient you can parasite it 10~ times and explode it.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

YOURFRIEND posted:

I can't believe anyone really gets upset over mines. They're a one-time expensive defense option for marines structures. They're utterly ineffective against 4/5 lifeforms or a skulk with carapace. Or even a careful skulk. A vanilla skulk that creeps up to the edge of a mine's blast radius will set it off without being killed. Then a marines is out 15 pres for absolutely no reason. I'm also pretty sure that if you're patient you can parasite it 10~ times and explode it.

They're an early game item. They become useless after early game. They are damned effective in early game unless you place them like an idiot. Sure, you can try to safely detonate or parasite one mine that some dumbass placed right next to an RT or just in the middle of a room, but that's not gonna help much when every marine has placed 3 of them, covering the entirety of the marine base and every vent entrance.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodmobile posted:

They're an early game item. They become useless after early game. They are damned effective in early game unless you place them like an idiot. Sure, you can try to safely detonate or parasite one mine that some dumbass placed right next to an RT or just in the middle of a room, but that's not gonna help much when every marine has placed 3 of them, covering the entirety of the marine base and every vent entrance.
...what the hell? I have never encountered this bizarre carpet of mines you seem to be describing. Is this even a valid strategy? Wouldn't this be a massive waste of pres? Mines are for placing in doorways, vents, and around likely routes of attack to important structures. And hurling down in combat for hilarious kills.

I do not understand your hate for mines. They force skulks to play more cautiously but they're not this weird trump card you seem to think they are. And I say this as a proud, card carrying suicide skulk.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 29, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carpets of mines is really dumb because of the way they chain reaction.. it's an enormous waste of pres.

But other than that, marines really should be placing them everywhere they can in the first few minutes of a game. I think the only reason you don't see more of them is because half the team is SAVING FOR EXO. If that behavior could be broken, there'd be a lot more skulks getting gibbed in remote corners of maps.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I loving love mines so much when I am marine. I tend to play aliens too much, but maybe that just means I know how a skulk will move through a room?

Don't just pile them all on top of each other. Place them on walls, most preferably next to a pipe or crate, or just past a doorway threshold so they don't see it before it is too late. Think like a skulk. If you see a good place that a skulk would ambush from, place a mine to counteract that angle of attack.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

...what the hell? I have never encountered this bizarre carpet of mines you seem to be describing. Is this even a valid strategy? Wouldn't this be a massive waste of pres? Mines are for placing in doorways, vents, and around likely routes of attack to important structures. And hurling down in combat for hilarious kills.

I do not understand your hate for mines. They force skulks to play more cautiously but they're not this weird trump card you seem to think they are. And I say this as a proud, card carrying suicide skulk.

I don't hate mines, I meant "effective" when I said "annoying." Everyone getting mines is a pretty common sight in comp games since you won't be needing any pres until they get lerks and you get shotguns. Pubs could probably benefit from it even more but people don't understand that they don't need to save pres early game to get shotguns later.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 29, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

YOURFRIEND posted:

If I can make a skulk sit and parasite a mine 10 times or force every skulk that attacks a marine base to creep up slowly then I've gotten my money's worth from the mines.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If I can make a skulk sit and parasite a mine 10 times or force every skulk that attacks a marine base to creep up slowly then I've gotten my money's worth from the mines.
Exactly. The point of mines isn't the one skulk you kill, it's the time it bought by forcing the Alien team to tone down the madcap sprinting parts of the earlygame suicide rushes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
What do you guys think about making the turrets omnidirectional again? Considering they currently seem to be completely ineffective I don't think it would be an overpowering thing. They'd still be very killable, but it'd be enough of a buff that resource nodes would no longer be completely indefensible. And welding doors and vents sounds amazing, why isn't that in the game.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Koramei posted:

What do you guys think about making the turrets omnidirectional again? Considering they currently seem to be completely ineffective I don't think it would be an overpowering thing. They'd still be very killable, but it'd be enough of a buff that resource nodes would no longer be completely indefensible. And welding doors and vents sounds amazing, why isn't that in the game.

I like directional turrets, but given the fact that 2 bile bombs can take down a battery, I think its a pretty fair compromise.

I also like the Pres turrets idea. I wish I could buy pres ARCs and a personal pres MAC when I'm exo.

Bloodmobile posted:

You could make the exact same argument for gorges. 19 res gets you 3 hydras and 10 clogs; 2-3 gorges can completely shut down an entrance until GLs or ARCs show up.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE
I beta'd this, but went a long time with only a netbook. So I'm still an inconsistent little nublet, but it's obvious this game blends RTS and FPS really well!

I don't think marines are underpowered like I've heard some people say. I just think that the marines' strategies take a little more experience to pull off, but they seem to be even more effective than aliens'.

Basically, the marines should use EXOs in the back instead of the front, covering them carefully. Since EXOs are immune to flame/grenades, sometimes they can be almost impossible to kill. Throw some mines in the vents and odd places. Set up turret coverage, have the team hunker down, and steamroll an alien base. I only think marines are at a disadvantage when nubs & pubbies dilute their concentration and resources.

When conservative marines have decent aim, alien life expectancy is a matter of seconds. REALLY difficult to build momentum for that OMNOMNOMageddon.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Koramei posted:

And welding doors and vents sounds amazing, why isn't that in the game.
Weldable doors are planned for a future release.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another video of the next build went up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McXFU1Hn2kI

Only new things I saw was the change so that both teams need two commanders before the game starts, a change to shotgun spread they talked about, and a line on the map that connects phase gates.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

xzzy posted:

a change to shotgun spread they talked about

It looks like the spread is a little wider, so shooting at targets further away hits with less pellets, meaning less damage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

whiskas posted:

It looks like the spread is a little wider, so shooting at targets further away hits with less pellets, meaning less damage.

But spamming a shot down a hallway has an improved chance of pegging a cloaked alien.

Saving a life by wasting a couple rounds seems like a good trade to me.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

xzzy posted:

I think the only reason you don't see more of them is because half the team is SAVING FOR EXO. If that behavior could be broken, there'd be a lot more skulks getting gibbed in remote corners of maps.

I really hate this. As marine comm in late game, I spend half my excess res in jetpacks because otherwise no one will buy them since they're all saving for exo. Without JPs, they couldn't chase down those early onos, which snowballs into many onos, then we'd lose the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xzzy posted:

Only new things I saw was the change so that both teams need two commanders before the game starts
I love these little improvements that are so "d'uh of course" when you think of them.

• Locked thread