Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
rip alex

we really need to stop this revolving door cat stuff and make it more like a roller coaster tycoon level where you put a "do not enter" sign just inside the park entrance so people can't leave, that way we just gain cats and never lose any and eventually we're just posting about thousands of angry cats who never die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Congrats, Refurb, on being the face of all killing machines.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

PierreTheMime posted:

jesus christ link please

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PierreTheMime posted:

this is real

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/cats-are-deadly-unstoppable-killing-machines

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
holy gently caress I don't even know how to feel about this

AN UNSTOPPABLE KILLING MACHINE IS SLEEPING IN MY HOUSE

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

wut

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:
updated sophia status:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

well, they picked the best refurb picture for that

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Refurb's defects do not stop her from killing all she sees

Lum posted:

This is why I got nothing done today while working from home

sup fellow can't-code-because-of-catte sister! I tried getting a decoy laptop for Torgo to sit on but he still prefers my legs. (Also I am under a blanket because it is cold.)

Waiting for the vet to call today with results of his blood tests. We're checking for kidney problems and diabetes because he's on steroids and recently started drinking a shitton of water.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

holy poo poo that owns

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

ahhaha

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PierreTheMime posted:

lol

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Thats amazing...

Was picking up beer supplies

There is an equally huge, oranger cat out of frame.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Taken at 4 in the morning when i turned on the light to find my bed after pissing. Cattes are not pleased.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Raccoon and catte (click for YT):

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
SCSI, I am sorry to hear about Alex. :( Sometimes it helps to tell your favorite stories and remember how great your friend catte was. It hurts, but you also feel a little better just because you can focus on the good part of loving.

Radio! posted:

eggplant wizard (hi) wrote a great post about this in PI ages ago

Shaggar posted:

every time we got a new cat (max 3 concurrent) as a kid we just threw them together and they were fine.

guess which one of these methods i actually use

it's the latter; have literally never done the one i wrote about or at least haven't kept them separated for more than like 2 hours maybe at most. partly Toby is a bottom and thinks all cats are his mum, so that helps.

the main thing though, with taking in an outdoor cat, is that you need to be careful about contagion. new catte might have worms (probably), fleas (often), FIV (only a problem if they really get bitey but still you wanna know), FeLV, distemper, rabies, or republicanism. no way to know. please make sure that until Sebastian is vaccinated, he does not have contact with Nargle, not even touching noses through a baby gate*, and that you wash your hands between petting him and Nargle, and change your clothes if he's been loving on you.

after that: so yeah you're concerned because Nargle hasn't met other cats before? but I thought you said she'd encountered him before and just been like 'wtf are you' but not aggressive? you'll probably be fine. do expect hissing/growling/maybe some swatting, but it's nbd unless there's blood. the only other concern i'd have is that instead of being aggressive, Nargle will probably be stressed out, so make sure you give her lots of attention and treats (but don't smother her) and make sure she's eating regularly and peeing in the right places. that PROBABLY won't be a problem, but keep it on your radar.

* lol at the idea that a baby gate will hold a catte in hahahaha all cattes can jump, even white ones

e: haha holy poo poo the new spoilers look enchanted in the yospos stylesheet

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 30, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Eggplant Wizard posted:

SCSI, I am sorry to hear about Alex. :( Sometimes it helps to tell your favorite stories and remember how great your friend catte was. It hurts, but you also feel a little better just because you can focus on the good part of loving.

guess which one of these methods i actually use

it's the latter; have literally never done the one i wrote about or at least haven't kept them separated for more than like 2 hours maybe at most. partly Toby is a bottom and thinks all cats are his mum, so that helps.

the main thing though, with taking in an outdoor cat, is that you need to be careful about contagion. new catte might have worms (probably), fleas (often), FIV (only a problem if they really get bitey but still you wanna know), FeLV, or republicanism. no way to know. please make sure that until Sebastian is vaccinated, he does not have contact with Nargle, not even touching noses through a baby gate*, and that you wash your hands between petting him and Nargle, and change your clothes if he's been loving on you.

after that: so yeah you're concerned because Nargle hasn't met other cats before? but I thought you said she'd encountered him before and just been like 'wtf are you' but not aggressive? you'll probably be fine. do expect hissing/growling/maybe some swatting, but it's nbd unless there's blood. the only other concern i'd have is that instead of being aggressive, Nargle will probably be stressed out, so make sure you give her lots of attention and treats (but don't smother her) and make sure she's eating regularly and peeing in the right places. that PROBABLY won't be a problem, but keep it on your radar.

* lol at the idea that a baby gate will hold a catte in hahahaha all cattes can jump, even white ones

They've hung out, but just for a couple minutes at a time, either in calm situations where they sniff each other through a cracked front door, or the aforementioned rain incident where he just strolled right the gently caress in and wifu just instinctively swooped up Nargle to avoid catfight.

We will do a full round of shots/deworming/tests and all that before allowing him to contact my precious Nargle, believe me. I don't want to bring anything odd in, and he has gotten in a scrap or two with the 'hood cats, so I am going to be wary.

the baby gate would be for supervised type stuff where i could hang out in one area or the other, it wouldn't be for unattended interactions at all.

Going to try to be rational and smart about all this but dammit, we've talked about getting another cat for years, we know for a fact that he's been abandoned by shitheads, and he trusts/knows us enough to run through a rainstorm to come cry on our doorstep.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

not gonna lie, this is pretty weird

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
twas a bad storm too jonny

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

it would help a lot and there might be some actual okay advice itt if we knew what Sebastian looked like

if only there were some way to do that

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Jonny 290 posted:

They've hung out, but just for a couple minutes at a time, either in calm situations where they sniff each other through a cracked front door, or the aforementioned rain incident where he just strolled right the gently caress in and wifu just instinctively swooped up Nargle to avoid catfight.

We will do a full round of shots/deworming/tests and all that before allowing him to contact my precious Nargle, believe me. I don't want to bring anything odd in, and he has gotten in a scrap or two with the 'hood cats, so I am going to be wary.

the baby gate would be for supervised type stuff where i could hang out in one area or the other, it wouldn't be for unattended interactions at all.

Going to try to be rational and smart about all this but dammit, we've talked about getting another cat for years, we know for a fact that he's been abandoned by shitheads, and he trusts/knows us enough to run through a rainstorm to come cry on our doorstep.

the baby gate thing I'm thinking of is someone in PI recently was trying to do really gradual, careful interactions between her adult cat and kitten, and she went from letting them sniff each other under the door to having a baby gate up (and yeah, attended), but within about 12 seconds the kitten had jumped/climbed over and went to explore the house. they were last seen chasing one another and having a ball. cattes man. nerds like me make it all complicated, but usually it's really not.

if she's sniffed him through a door and not gone all miss puffball von hissypants, you're going to be a-okay.

yeah, pics would help.

e: Oh yeah, if you're dammit-ing because of that mid-feb neuter date, remember you don't necessarily have to get him neutered before you bring him in, assuming Nargle is spayed, and you can get dewormer and deflea-er reasonably cheaply. The only things I'd be concerned about are the possible illnesses, which i don't think they're doing on those days anyway?

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 30, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

from the oatmeal

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

sup fellow can't-code-because-of-catte sister! I tried getting a decoy laptop for Torgo to sit on but he still prefers my legs. (Also I am under a blanket because it is cold.)

Your cat even looks like Spenny! :3:

I find he's less likely to want to sit on me if I wear black, because he only has a few white hairs to stick on me.. unfortunately today I was wearing grey which means both of his hair colours are noticible.

quote:

Waiting for the vet to call today with results of his blood tests. We're checking for kidney problems and diabetes because he's on steroids and recently started drinking a shitton of water.
:ohdear:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what if you covered the kitten in foil, so that the bigger cat won't want to touch it

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

baby gate ... kitten ...

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

from the oatmeal

cool, thanks mom

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
We did the seperating thing for Leeloo and Elmer when Elmer came home and I don't know that it was much help in the end. Leeloo doesn't like other cats. If she could get over it I would get another cat that Elmer could play with because that would make him happy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sorry to hear about Alex, Janin. :(

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

toby posted:

cool, thanks mom

i forgot yospos hates the oatmeal. whatever.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Good news! The vet says his blood is good and he's probably thirsty because his BOWEL PROBLEM makes him a bit dehydrated.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

It's been a few weeks since my last post - the cats have stolen my SD card reader :argh:

They've been some exciting weeks, as both cats had their first vet visit - they've been coughing "randomly", so they've gone through a deworming AND an antibiotics treatment (which we started out with wrapping them into a purrito and using a syringe to force them to drink it twice daily - before it we figured out they found it delicious, and would gladly lick their dose from a dish :3: ), hopefully that's the end of it.

Their love of antibiotics was probably due to the similarity to strawberry yoghurt

I also had to wash Beyoncé, as she just had to get all up in my dinner, and got habanero sauce in her fur:

Amusingly enough, she rather enjoys it, and when I had to wash her today (cat litter stuck to her hind legs) she was purring and playing in the bath tub - until I tried the same with Sonja, who did her best "cat fell in bath tub".gif impression :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SCSI, I've been there recently, my sympathies.

Everything that can be said has been. Keep the memories and the love in mind, and it'll get better with time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PierreTheMime posted:

Nice!

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Oh, and I made a time lapse of a day with the cats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSErR6KN6-8

It shows why we can't have nice things curtains

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
My outside crop of catnip has been keeping my cats Presley, Piper, and Marmalade busy lately:

It's really nice to have a huge tower of the stuff in the garden, as it attracts a million neighborhood cats at night and our cats have a blast chasing them from window to window around the house. I've had to surround it with two tomato cages and chickenwire to keep outside cats from eating it/lying on it and killing off the precious resource.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
posting an unstoppable killing machine itt

that dog is doomed

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

PierreTheMime posted:

CATS ARE DESTROYING THE WORLD

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Doing better today. This morning was very hard; I woke up, reached over to pet Alex (she liked to sleep next to my pillow), and when she wasn't there I just about lost it. Now I'm at work and it's a bit easier, but going home is going to be bad times.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

all cattes can jump, even white ones
:smithcloud: :yaycloud: :yayclod:

Eggplant Wizard posted:

ok lets do this

Story 1:

My family adopted Alex when I was around 12 or so. We were coming back from some errand, drove past a pet store (Petco or Petsmart, one of those) holding an adoption drive, and decided on a whim to go in.

My brother liked dogs, so he and my parents headed to the puppy area. Looking around, I found they had a separate room for cats, set up a bit like an airlock. Once you walked through both doors, you could just sit down and play with like two dozen cats of all ages. Mostly cats would come up, get scritched for a minute or so, and then move on, but this one smallish cat just won't leave me alone. I picked it up and walked out of the cat area. Looking back, I probably wasn't supposed to do this, but nobody cared.

Now I'm walking around the store looking for my folks, holding this cat, and cat decides that it's drat comfortable being held. By the time I find my family in the food aisle (with a Jack Russel puppy), cat's drowsing on my arm like a miniature leopard. Artist's impression:

Ask parents if they're fine with getting a cat too, they are. Now we have one pet for my brother and one for me. We wander around the store filling up a basket with food and litter and toys, and the whole time the cat is just hanging out.

Now it's time to check out, and there's a problem. The cat I picked was found on the street and is considered a "wild cat", so we have to put it in a carrier. I look at it. Cat's maybe six pounds and practically asleep. This is silly. But they won't let us take the cat without the carrier. Fine, whatever. They check us out, give us a sheet with cat's info (she's a girl, estimated 4-5 months old, not fixed, etc).

The little black lines at the corners of her eyes made me think she looked Egyptian, so I named her "Alexandria".

Once we're back in the car, I let her out and she starts looking around and out the windows. We drive all the way home with her loose in the car, with no issues whatsoever.

Eventually her name was shortened to just "Alex" because "Alexandria" is a mouthful.

It became a running joke in our family that she's a "wild cat" because never was there a cat so sweet-tempered toward people, though she always hated other cats.

That's how we adopted Alex the wild cat.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Doing better today. This morning was very hard; I woke up, reached over to pet Alex (she liked to sleep next to my pillow), and when she wasn't there I just about lost it. Now I'm at work and it's a bit easier, but going home is going to be bad times.

:smithcloud: :yaycloud: :yayclod:

ok lets do this

Story 1:

My family adopted Alex when I was around 12 or so. We were coming back from some errand, drove past a pet store (Petco or Petsmart, one of those) holding an adoption drive, and decided on a whim to go in.

My brother liked dogs, so he and my parents headed to the puppy area. Looking around, I found they had a separate room for cats, set up a bit like an airlock. Once you walked through both doors, you could just sit down and play with like two dozen cats of all ages. Mostly cats would come up, get scritched for a minute or so, and then move on, but this one smallish cat just won't leave me alone. I picked it up and walked out of the cat area. Looking back, I probably wasn't supposed to do this, but nobody cared.

Now I'm walking around the store looking for my folks, holding this cat, and cat decides that it's drat comfortable being held. By the time I find my family in the food aisle (with a Jack Russel puppy), cat's drowsing on my arm like a miniature leopard. Artist's impression:

Ask parents if they're fine with getting a cat too, they are. Now we have one pet for my brother and one for me. We wander around the store filling up a basket with food and litter and toys, and the whole time the cat is just hanging out.

Now it's time to check out, and there's a problem. The cat I picked was found on the street and is considered a "wild cat", so we have to put it in a carrier. I look at it. Cat's maybe six pounds and practically asleep. This is silly. But they won't let us take the cat without the carrier. Fine, whatever. They check us out, give us a sheet with cat's info (she's a girl, estimated 4-5 months old, not fixed, etc).

The little black lines at the corners of her eyes made me think she looked Egyptian, so I named her "Alexandria".

Once we're back in the car, I let her out and she starts looking around and out the windows. We drive all the way home with her loose in the car, with no issues whatsoever.

Eventually her name was shortened to just "Alex" because "Alexandria" is a mouthful.

It became a running joke in our family that she's a "wild cat" because never was there a cat so sweet-tempered toward people, though she always hated other cats.

That's how we adopted Alex the wild cat.

Thank you for sharing. Alex was super pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

That's a great story. :)