Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So, Lone Wolf...

I have the Turian Ghost and a Harrier II.
I am willing to go easy mode.

Can you recommend a build and map easiest to solo?
I am not a fan of this challenge and want to make this as easy and short as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
If you're willing to cheese it your best plan is a kroguard vs geth on glacier. Take disruptor ammo on a falcon, talon, acolyte or something similar which will set up tech bursts reliably and go nuts. Geth are very susceptible to tech bursts and rely on staggers which the kroguard is almost immune to. As long as you choose a small map so enemies bunch up and keep charging and tech bursting you're pretty much impossible to kill. Try to leave primes until last to avoid fighting more than you need to, and don't stay in one place for too long so you dont get pyros sneaking up behind you, and you'll be fine.

If you don't have a kroguard or you're set on using the ghost you'll probably still want to solo vs geth because they dont have instakills, but you'll want a big map so you have room to fight enemies on your terms and make a quick exit if needed. It will take a lot longer than the kroguard though.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 29, 2013

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yay finally got the hurricane. Now to go back and remember all the builds that you guys have recommended to me using the hurricane.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Hopper posted:

So, Lone Wolf...

I have the Turian Ghost and a Harrier II.
I am willing to go easy mode.

Can you recommend a build and map easiest to solo?
I am not a fan of this challenge and want to make this as easy and short as possible.

Something like this: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/cla...ighterPackage5/

Use Armor Piercing ammo, preferably level III or IV. Play on Giant. Start at the landing pad and kite enemies clockwise around the map.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Rick posted:

Yay finally got the hurricane. Now to go back and remember all the builds that you guys have recommended to me using the hurricane.

Hurricane is best on Turians due to their innate stability bonuses, or as a short range bullet hose.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 29, 2013
---------------------------------------------------------------------

N7 Valkyrie Assault Rifle
- Encumbrance changed from [1.75-1.25] to [1.5-1.25]
- Head shot damage multiplier increased from 2.5 to 3

Havoc Strike Power
- Base force increased from 600 to 650
- Rank 3 damage and force bonus increased from 20% to 25%
- Evolution 1 damage and force bonus increased from 30% to 35%
- Evolution 5 damage and force bonus increased from 50% to 55%

Scimitar Shotgun
- Encumbrance changed from [1.25-0.7] to [1.15-0.6]

Barrier Power
- Detonation blast damage increased from 350 to 500

I might give the full strike specced Havoc another go with these changes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If I'm reading these notes correctly, Havoc Strike should now stagger Phantoms even without taking Power/Force in Fitness.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Valkyrie needs more buffing than that to be anything other than "a worse Argus" at low levels.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just did some games with Tau, I followed his asari valk around as a volus engie spamming shield boost and dropping the mine on any enemy group he targeted, it was brutally effective.

Another rare X, the hornet, why does the game insist on giving the guns I don't use, least I got every piece of gear now.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

exquisite tea posted:

If I'm reading these notes correctly, Havoc Strike should now stagger Phantoms even without taking Power/Force in Fitness.

Yep! That's actually a huge buff because the Havoc Soldier can now have much more weapon damage.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
The scimitar weighs nothing already. Kind of a weird choice as I've associated it with classes that don't really rely on 150%+ cooldown.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zoran posted:

Yep! That's actually a huge buff because the Havoc Soldier can now have much more weapon damage.

Weapon damage is for scrubs. All melee all the time with the Havoc.

Why shoot a Geth Prime to death when you can jetpack super slam it to death?

see also, Krogan Vanguard. Why shoot this Geth prime when you can headbutt it repeatedly?

Seriously though if I want a sweet-rear end weapon-centric jetpack Turian, well, TGI. Havoc is actually Not Bad if you go all-in on making him a melee monster and relying on stims to keep you alive (since your 6 in fitness is all geared towards punching)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
So I was checking a newbie friend's manifest to help him spec characters. Then I took a look at mine.

395 hours played :shepicide:

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

I don't enjoy sniping in this game, and yet the Bioware Gods enjoy throwing all the UR Sniper guns they can at me. My 4 highest UR's are a BW VII, Indra VII, Valiant IX, and a Javelin IX.

Can someone give me a good class and build at me that I can use the Javelin on? That gun interests me the most. I may as well use some of these Phasic rounds I've hoarded.

Also, do I need Bonus Power on Cloak or can I fit in a Proxy + Javelin shot within the Cloak bonus damage window?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Doc Dee posted:

Hurricane is best on Turians due to their innate stability bonuses, or as a short range bullet hose.

Any and every class should use the Hurricane. It's such a good gun and doesn't weigh much even if you don't use ULM. Just slap on a High Velocity Barrel and a Heat Sink and spray the poo poo out of everything.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Is six points in supply pylon on the demolisher a must? I was thinking of giving this setup a try but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

1st AD posted:

Any and every class should use the Hurricane. It's such a good gun and doesn't weigh much even if you don't use ULM. Just slap on a High Velocity Barrel and a Heat Sink and spray the poo poo out of everything.

Why the heat sink over the magazine expansion? Perhaps it's just confirmation bias, but I've always found a 70% bigger magazine lasts longer than a normal sized one with a 45% chance per shot of not 'counting'.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Serpentis posted:

Why the heat sink over the magazine expansion? Perhaps it's just confirmation bias, but I've always found a 70% bigger magazine lasts longer than a normal sized one with a 45% chance per shot of not 'counting'.
I personally prefer the extended clip as well, because I like having a consistent time between reloads. However there is the thing that the Hurricane chews through ammo like a motherfucker, so with the heat sink you'll be running to ammo boxes a lot less.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Been using the heat sink since day one and I'll stop playing before I change. :colbert:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Serpentis posted:

The heat sink not only gives you an effectively larger magazine than the magazine upgrade on average but also effectively multiplies your reserve ammo.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Psion posted:

Weapon damage is for scrubs. All melee all the time with the Havoc.

Why shoot a Geth Prime to death when you can jetpack super slam it to death?

Ah, memories. We should play again soon :D

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

subroc posted:

Can someone give me a good class and build at me that I can use the Javelin on? That gun interests me the most. I may as well use some of these Phasic rounds I've hoarded.
6/0/6/6/6 Gethineer with an offensive turret. You'll get 33k of free points just from turret spam, and it also keeps enemies upright and distracted instead of rushing you or taking cover.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

subroc posted:

Also, do I need Bonus Power on Cloak or can I fit in a Proxy + Javelin shot within the Cloak bonus damage window?

Geth Infiltrator is hands down the best class to use the Javelin with. I personally don't use Proxy Mine a whole lot when I'm sniping (the Javelin does a fuckton of damage as it is), so you might consider a 6/0/6/6/6 build. You shouldn't have much trouble getting the Proxy Mine and cloak bonuses at shorter ranges, but at long range, the travel time on the mine makes that difficult. It's really up to personal preference.

My current build is this: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Infiltrator/Geth/PIQND/Javelin9AS5BJ5/////

It's a hybrid between a Javelin sniping class and a shotgun class, allowing me to switch between them without respecing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Potential BFF posted:

Is six points in supply pylon on the demolisher a must? I was thinking of giving this setup a try but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Depends on the maps you expect to be playing on, I think. If you try to do Glacier without the extra grenade you'll find yourself running out rather quickly.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I have great success with just 3 points in the pylon.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

subroc posted:

I don't enjoy sniping in this game, and yet the Bioware Gods enjoy throwing all the UR Sniper guns they can at me. My 4 highest UR's are a BW VII, Indra VII, Valiant IX, and a Javelin IX.

Alternatively, this:
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Infiltrator/Geth/PANNP/Javelin9BI5BJ5//SniperRifleRailAmp3/CyclonicModulator3/SniperRifleAmp5/

You are basically just a piece of mobile artillery. I named mine "Howitzer" because the same principle applies.

With AP ammo 3 or 4, a shot thru the cockpit of an Atlas takes over half it's Armor bar. You are not nearly as effective against general trash mobs like husks or abominations, but anything you can put some distance on and get a shot on will die in a few shots. In a team that can deal with general mobs, this is a powerful build.

And you get to keep a 1600 shield, which protects you a bit. Being on a map like Ghost, Giant, Hydra or Dagger also really helps with their large area, open sightlines, and cover you can shoot thru for headshots.

tiberion02 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 30, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Trykt posted:

Ah, memories. We should play again soon :D

We're actually playing this again more since we all got bored of blops2, so feel free to join the party if/when you see us on or I'll send you messages or whatever!

Potential BFF posted:

In my opinion yes. I 6/6/6/4/4 my demolisher, only way to roll. Losing that extra grenade at evo 6 hurts a lot, especially since they slowed down the base grenade rate pretty badly. Unless you want to spam ammo packs like they're going out of style, I'd never do less than 6 in pylon. Same with grenades really.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Potential BFF posted:

Demolisher is my favourite class and the only one I can consistently do well on gold and plat with, and I think it's absolutely worth it to get the 2 grenade evolution at level 6. Taking the DOT evo on arc grenades, which already have a pretty big AOE, plus homing grenades with the armour penetration evo and DOT evo, will trigger tech bursts all over the place. Plus, don't forget that grenades and ammo spawn every time you place the pylon, which means if you're in a pinch and not near an ammo box you can always just find a shady spot, dump the pylon and get yourself another two grenades. In my experience, two grenades - Arc with DOT, then homing - will kill pretty much any standard or elite troop even on gold (except possessed collectors, dragoons, guardians if you're not flanking them, and phantoms if they get their shields up... which they almost certainly will as soon as you fire a homing grenade).

I personally only have 5 grenades through skills then use grenade capacity V to give me a total of 10. This means I've got a pretty massive supply of grenades that can be refilled quickly and I didn't skimp on the damage in order to get extra grenades. I run 6/6/6/5/3 and this is totally viable on platinum.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Potential BFF posted:

At the very least, take the Pylon to 5 for added weapon or power damage, the pylon is just too useful. You can use it for grenade spam, added power or weapon damage for ANYONE in it's field I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong about that), a mobile ammo box, or extra shields if you take that instead of extra grenades.

The Demolisher is a great class, but there's not too much variation on how to play it without sacrificing your DPS.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Just chiming in to agree that the demolisher is one of my favorites to play, and it is def worth it to go rank 6 on the pylon for double grenades. I usually throw on a speed boost consumable and zip around the map, collecting grenades and bombing anything foolish enough to show its face.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So it IS possible for 2 good players to carry 2 lovely ones.

Thanks Jessant, that would have gone tits up rather quickly if it hadn't been for your assistance.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Alteisen posted:

So it IS possible for 2 good players to carry 2 lovely ones.

That's basically what I rely on in half the games I play, since I like to leech XP and lots of money on Gold. I'm starting to be at least somewhat worthwhile with my Phaeston getting up there and judicious use of my Carnifex, but really I'm just staying out of trouble and doing objectives while Pubbie McGee wastes everything and ignores them.

Somewhat related, but what do people think about the Spectre Pack vs the Elite Spectre Pack? From the looks of things the Elite is a way better deal since you're guaranteed two Rares instead of one, at only ~150% the price.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I've found that credits are easy to come by now, so the price doesn't really concern me much. I find myself taking the elite spectre pack over any of the others more often than not.

On occasion I'll buy a large supply pack just to restock my medigel and ammo reserves.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Coolguye posted:

Somewhat related, but what do people think about the Spectre Pack vs the Elite Spectre Pack? From the looks of things the Elite is a way better deal since you're guaranteed two Rares instead of one, at only ~150% the price.

If you're trying to max your rares, traditional wisdom is get the PSPs, but bear in mind the regular 60k SPs are a pretty good deal as well - I would say arguably better. Yes, you get two rares per PSP, but you give up total number of cards dropped.

Spend 300k on each: 3 PSPs (total 15 cards, 6 guaranteed rares or better) or 5 SPs (total 25 cards, 5 guaranteed rares or better) - so you're trading one guaranteed rare for ten consumable cards, level III ammo/uncommon gear/whatever cards, etc. And occasionally you get a two rare SP. I'd have to look up if the odds equate out to 1 in 5, because if so, PSPs really lose their luster in the long run. Even if they don't, 5 to 6 against 10 extra cards is pretty good.

For one thing if you buy SPs you probably never have to get JEPs. If you buy PSPs chances are you might need JEPs which makes the "total spacebux spent::guaranteed rare ratio" even closer to equal.

I used PSPs to max my rares and SPs from there on out. In hindsight, I should have just bought nothing but SPs; I think they're totally the sweet spot pack.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 30, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been buying reserves cause for some reason they keep dropping me gear, out of the last 8, 7 of them gave me gear.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Alteisen posted:

I've been buying reserves cause for some reason they keep dropping me gear, out of the last 8, 7 of them gave me gear.

I think both the Reserves and Munitions packs have a highish chance for Gear, since I've found an equal amount of them than weapons and characters combined. Granted, I'm down to the last few character cards I need at this point, and only have UR weapons left to get/max. It's still irritating, though. I want the goddamn Particle Rifle. :(

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
So to mirror some posts from the last couple of pages, I took a break from this game just after the Earth download pack was released and jumped back in for a couple games today. Unlocked the Turian Havok and the Volus Engineer, which I saw a ton of people using today, in one pack but I'm not sure what they're best for since they both came out after I stopped playing. Any quick tips on if these are worth using and how to go about using them?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PageMaster posted:

So to mirror some posts from the last couple of pages, I took a break from this game just after the Earth download pack was released and jumped back in for a couple games today. Unlocked the Turian Havok and the Volus Engineer, which I saw a ton of people using today, in one pack but I'm not sure what they're best for since they both came out after I stopped playing. Any quick tips on if these are worth using and how to go about using them?

Volus Engie to me is the best volus in the game, I usually ignore the prox mine and got 6 on everything else, on the recon mine you wanna focus on the invasive scan debuff, generally I drop it from wherever they are spawning to make life easier for my teammates, then pop it when everything is weakened for some extra damage, I also toss it down when you have some of the big enemies approaching like a banshee or such, you'd be amazed how fast those boss enemies go down with that mine debuff the gently caress out of them.

Beyond that its just shielding boosting and hiding behind things bigger than myself, I carry light pistol, I suggest the acolyte to strip shields fast and let the team handle the rest.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alteisen posted:

Yeah, there's really no wrong way to go about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Demitri Omni posted:

I want the goddamn Particle Rifle. :(

I found it in a Spectre Pack :smug:

I seem to have ridiculous good luck with UR weapons though, any time I've bought a regular Spectre Pack I end up with one. And sometimes when I buy Reserve Packs too. Still no Harrier though :(

• Locked thread