Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Greycious posted:

Congrats! :dance:

I go in for mine tomorrow. So nervous, I just want the baby to be healthy..

I am 20 weeks exactly tomorrow and I also go in for my anatomy scan tomorrow as well. We already it is a boy, so now I am just hoping everything looks great/healthy/normal/etc.

Adding to my nervousness today is that he was quite active the last few days and today I've only gotten a couple of kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

sheri posted:

I am 20 weeks exactly tomorrow and I also go in for my anatomy scan tomorrow as well. We already it is a boy, so now I am just hoping everything looks great/healthy/normal/etc.

Adding to my nervousness today is that he was quite active the last few days and today I've only gotten a couple of kicks.

He could just be having a lazy day. My baby had a couple lazy days last week where I'd feel him a bit in the morning and the evening, but not the usual flailing.. and now for the past couple days he's kept me awake with his incessant kickboxing. You can bring it up to your doctor tomorrow to ease your mind. My doctor told me as long as I still feel movement to not worry, and that he's just going to be more active some days than on others, especially during big growth weeks. Best of luck!

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I also found that if I was busy or preoccupied with something I wouldn't notice movements as much because I wasn't actively paying attention.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

iwik posted:

I also found that if I was busy or preoccupied with something I wouldn't notice movements as much because I wasn't actively paying attention.

This was definitely true for me early on. I first started being certain I was feeling movement from the baby just before 17 weeks but it was almost exclusively when I was laying down on my back. Then by ~18 weeks I'd be able to feel her while sitting but only if I was paying attention. It wasn't until past 20 weeks that I could feel her while standing/walking or while sitting but occupied with other stuff. So if I'd been distracted for the better part of the day I'd often worry she hadn't been moving much when really it was just I'd been too preoccupied.

Of course now at 27 weeks I can't ignore her even when I want to.

soft kitty
Dec 7, 2012
I'm at almost 36 weeks. Since the time I was first able to feel moment, the baby will go through phases where she is less active for a day or so and then she'll start up again.

Movements usually aren't consistent until a little later anyway, so I wouldn't worry. It's possible the baby just changed positions so you can't feel the movements as easily.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I've been through all your worries and had days when the baby seemed less active. Especially in the second trimester before her kicks got really pronounced. The nurses reassured me that as long as I got 10 an hour after a meal while laying down that I shouldn't worry. I counted obsessively in the beginning but gave it up after a while. As long as she made her presence known throughout the day I didn't bother. Also as she got bigger she got a lot squirmier and was hard to ignore. I started noticing patterns, like it would take her an hour or so to move after I got up in the morning and she would go a little crazy at night as I settled down for bed. Anyway, moral of the story is trust your instinct and know that they do have lazy days. If it feels wrong, put in a call. Otherwise just enjoy the moments when you aren't getting a foot jabbing your rib :)

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Ugh! I'm 38 weeks right now and I've been having Braxton-Hicks since this afternoon. They're about five minutes apart and last about a minute. I'm debating whether I should go in or not to get them checked out. The main issue I have is that it's late and my two year old is sleeping peacefully right now. I really don't want to visit the ER for no reason. They're not painful, just annoying. You'd think after already having one I'd know whether I'm in labor or not.

Should I go in or wait until they feel like the real deal? Unfortunately, my doctor doesn't have a number to call after hours. Not really asking for medical advice, just what you would do...

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
newts, what's your plan for the 2 year old when your labor is the real deal?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Well, my 20 week scan went great, he is still a he (been having weird thoughts/dreams/whatever that somehow they got it wrong the first time), and I asked about movement frequency and the doctor said not until 24 weeks will I likely notice a consistent pattern. So, that made me feel better. Also made me feel better seeing the little guy squirming around in there with me not feeling most of the movements. So, he's moving even if I can't feel it all the time.

So, my husband and I are planning on having baby sleep in our room with us for several months after birth (but not in our bed). Any good recommendations for co-sleepers or other things that are first and foremost safe and second easy to use with breastfeeding a baby at night?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Well remember my post about my mom and I being oh-so-sure I'm having a baby girl?

It's a boy! :dance:

I just laughed. It is quite amusing. My poor mom sounded quite shocked though.
I'm just worried because most of the names I really liked are girl names! Boys are harder to name!
Stopped on the way home and celebrate by buying the cutest little pair of boy overalls with a whale on them :3:

The scan went well though, he's on target for weight and size, and he had his hand up by his forehead in this melodramatic pose. Such a hard life! They might have me come back again though because he wouldn't roll over and they couldn't get many good spine shots. Other than that he was quite the wiggler though.

e;sheri that's great news, glad yours went well too! :)

UltraGrey fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 31, 2013

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey, are any of the pregnant women having a rough cold season? My wife (15 weeks or so) has just been hammered by cold after cold for the past few months. Just wondering if this is unusual for a winter pregnancy.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

It might just be rhinitis of pregnancy. About 30% of pregnant women get it and its caused by hormonal charges in the body.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And keep in mind that a pregnant person's immune system does not function as well as a non-pregnant person, so she could just be picking up a lot of bugs that she would normally fight off before getting sick that she can't now.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Chickalicious posted:

newts, what's your plan for the 2 year old when your labor is the real deal?

Well, we (husband and I) are just going to have to take her in with us. She does go to daycare but the chances of anything happening while it's open are pretty slim. My parents are coming to town a few days before my actual due date, so the baby will probably come early just to wreck those plans.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

You ought to recruit a friend to be willing to help out just in case. I wouldn't want my two year hanging out while I labored.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I know it's pretty sad, but we actually don't have anyone nearby since we're really new to the area. My husband will just have to take her out if things get intense, which he seems perfectly happy to do. Not the best, but we don't have too many options :(

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

newts posted:

Ugh! I'm 38 weeks right now and I've been having Braxton-Hicks since this afternoon. They're about five minutes apart and last about a minute. I'm debating whether I should go in or not to get them checked out. The main issue I have is that it's late and my two year old is sleeping peacefully right now. I really don't want to visit the ER for no reason. They're not painful, just annoying. You'd think after already having one I'd know whether I'm in labor or not.

Should I go in or wait until they feel like the real deal? Unfortunately, my doctor doesn't have a number to call after hours. Not really asking for medical advice, just what you would do...

Can you call your hospital's L&D unit? Or try laying down to see if they slow/stop? I'd be nervous about waiting.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

sheri posted:

So, my husband and I are planning on having baby sleep in our room with us for several months after birth (but not in our bed). Any good recommendations for co-sleepers or other things that are first and foremost safe and second easy to use with breastfeeding a baby at night?

We're using the full sized arms reach co sleeper and I like it a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Arms-Reach-Co...each+co+sleeper

There's the original size and the mini. We have the original. Its a nice size and it transitions into a pack and play. Its also pretty portable and comes with a carrying case so you can take it traveling. The only thing is the pad it comes with is a little hard so I put a blanket underneath the covering to make it a little softer.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sheri posted:

And keep in mind that a pregnant person's immune system does not function as well as a non-pregnant person, so she could just be picking up a lot of bugs that she would normally fight off before getting sick that she can't now.

That's our theory; was wondering if anyone else was having similar experience. Of course, doesn't help that our kid keeps bringing home all sorts of exciting germs from the outside world.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

sheri posted:

When Ben was a newborn we had him in a regular co-sleeper bassinet that you could put right against the bed and detach the side from to reach in without getting up. He started spitting up and choking at night (later it was diagnosed reflux) so we got him a Rock and Play. There are a ton of different cute designs but they're all shaped the same. It keeps his head up at a nice angle so he doesn't spit up or choke at all. Also it's great for travelling or if you have to use a sitter at a different place than yours.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Greycious posted:

Stopped on the way home and celebrate by buying the cutest little pair of boy overalls with a whale on them :3:

I got Rocky the same ones! Twinsies! :3: But seriously, congrats on your little boy! It seems like everyone is having a boy these days!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Hastings posted:

It seems like everyone is having a boy these days!

My little girl will be spoilt for choice in goonbaby suitors :3: Congratulations on a healthy boy and overalls with whales on them, Greycious!

I'm glad someone asked about co-sleeper recommendations, we've been wondering the same thing.

And the pregnancy stuffed nose can be a total bitch - you sleep with your mouth open more, so you wake up with a raw-feeling throat, and if you have even the slightest twinge of a cold, the extra stuffed nose makes it feel worse.
And I'm sure you know this already, but be mindful if your wife runs a fever, as opposed to sore throats and stuffy noses a high fever can actually be harmful to the baby.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

So our house is apparently cursed, or at least the back garden is. Three times this month, we've had to take one of the dogs to the vet for some injury or illness caused by something back there. Before we moved in, this house was rented by students who completely wrecked up the joint. The landlady did a decent job of cleaning up the bulk of it, but there's still be broken glass and student trash surfacing in the back garden every time we got heavy rain.. annnd.. this is Ireland at the cusp of spring, so one dog has cut 2 of his feet, and the other dog had some crazy allergic reaction to something. We obviously were going to move before the baby was mobile, but it seems as though we'll be moving it up to end of february/beginning of march because despite the gutter falling off one side of the house last week, the landlady has not sent anyone over to look at that and really it's just lovely and awful.

My concern is, baby is due around March 17th, and the place we're moving to is about 40 minutes away from the hospital I'm delivering at. I mean, people live in that town and have babies, so it's obviously doable, but I've never lived that far away from a hospital before so I'm a bit anxious about it. Otherwise, the place is a whole hell of a lot nicer (and a whole lot closer to my GP if I really need her). I guess I'm just worried that I'm being stupid about moving so late in the pregnancy despite the fact my husband and his friends have the actual physical part of moving under control :P

Question for the thread: How far away from your hospital/delivery center do you live, and how are you working with it?

Also, this is totally a year for boy babies! Crazy!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Dandy Shrew posted:

Question for the thread: How far away from your hospital/delivery center do you live, and how are you working with it?

For me it depends, if everything goes fine and I don't need induced this time or any other problems that indicate a less than completely perfect birth I will be able to have the baby up here in the local unit about 5 minutes away. If there's any problems at all I'll have to go to Glasgow which is 3 hours away (people having their first baby would automatically have to go). I had to go there to be induced the last two times so really really hoping the baby will decide to pop out on her own this time.

It's one of those things that's annoying but not much can be done about it.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Dandy Shrew posted:

20 minutes in slow/normal traffic, quite a bit more during rush hour.
Assuming everything goes well and things start moving by themselves, we'll just go in earlier to get checked out if the birth coincides with rush hour. I'd rather sit in the hospital feeling silly than having a baby on the side of the freeway.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Welp, still here and so are the contractions. I actually slept pretty well, but the timing and intensity of these BH contractions seems about the same this morning. I called the hospital last night and they were about as helpful as you'd expect: told me to come in if I think I should. I'm going to call my doctor when they open this morning and see what she has to say. I actually have an appointment this afternoon, but I don't know if I should keep waiting. This was so easy last time because my water broke before anything else happened! Now I have to make decisions and stuff.

It would be nice if we had more than one car - then I could just drive myself to the hospital without worrying about how my husband would join me if I happened to be in labor.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

sheri posted:

Well, my 20 week scan went great, he is still a he (been having weird thoughts/dreams/whatever that somehow they got it wrong the first time), and I asked about movement frequency and the doctor said not until 24 weeks will I likely notice a consistent pattern. So, that made me feel better. Also made me feel better seeing the little guy squirming around in there with me not feeling most of the movements. So, he's moving even if I can't feel it all the time.

I have the Arm's Reach too, and really liked it. We chose the mini convertible one and it's been nice because it's now a playpen that's small enough to keep in our kitchen for when I'm using the stove and don't want him underfoot. It is really pricey, so I would get it used or register for it if possible. We used ours until 5 months and could've gone longer because he was really slow to roll over.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I live about 20 minutes from my hospital depending on traffic (it's in the Dublin city centre). My husband was entertaining the thought of moving an hour away into the country and I told him no way. Dandy, if you have your baby on March 17, he sure is going to have one hell of a birthday when he's older! :)

I'm 32 weeks tomorrow and we still haven't decided on a first name. We had the middle name picked out we found out we are having a boy (my father's name), but inspiration hasn't struck for a first name.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
We live maybe 15 minutes from the hospital in normal traffic. We don't have a car so we'll just take a taxi to the hospital when things happen. We have to wait for my mother to drive in here to babysit our oldest though, which is 40 minutes minimum in normal traffic. A little nervous about that, but luckily we have a friend a street away who has offered to come stay with him until my mother can arrive if time gets scarce.

Sockmuppet posted:

I'm glad someone asked about co-sleeper recommendations, we've been wondering the same thing.

We recently bought a Troll Bedside Crib. Haven't assembled it yet but it's quite small (we don't have tons of room next to our bed). Bought it at Barnas Hus ;) With our last kid we didn't have room for a cosleeper at all so I put the bassinet for his stroller next to our bed and just lifted him into bed for night nursing. Worked pretty well.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

newts posted:

I know it's pretty sad, but we actually don't have anyone nearby since we're really new to the area. My husband will just have to take her out if things get intense, which he seems perfectly happy to do. Not the best, but we don't have too many options :(

Have you okayed this with the hospital?? You should make sure they'll let your daughter in the birthing area if this is your plan. I know some hospitals will not.

Also some hospitals have a rule about not allowing kids in the labor and delivery ward right now because of the flu. I know someone who is expecting who was told even after the birth her child can't come meet the baby because of the flu risk.

Better to figure out a plan now than wait and be perplexed by it all!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

We recently bought a Troll Bedside Crib.

Is that an actual brand? If it's not red, white and blue and made from pine, cheese slicers and oil, I'll be disappointed.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Is that an actual brand? If it's not red, white and blue and made from pine, cheese slicers and oil, I'll be disappointed.

Haha yep. And it's disappointingly white and plain-looking ;)

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

An Cat Dubh posted:

I live about 20 minutes from my hospital depending on traffic (it's in the Dublin city centre). My husband was entertaining the thought of moving an hour away into the country and I told him no way. Dandy, if you have your baby on March 17, he sure is going to have one hell of a birthday when he's older! :)

Right now, we're in Galway proper.. when we timed the drive to the hospital after looking at the new place, it was a little less than 40 minutes during quiet traffic.

I really, really hope this kid isn't born ON the 17th.. mostly because my husband is a Paddy. The lame jokes would never, ever end.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I'm slowly working my way through the thread trying to take this all in. My wife is going in for her first ob appointment next week (will be 9th week) ... and she definitely wants me to go. There's no problems with me going this early right? I presume I just wait in the waiting room until they call me in. My google-fu so far says they'll be asking her questions without me around (i.e. sex with other guys etc) but then I'm allowed in? I swear everything I search I find 2 sets of answers for. Looks like some people get an ultrasound on this visit, but others the doctor's wait much longer.

I'm a nervous wreck. We totally planned this and was trying for about 4 months but I'm still nervous. I'm not very good with kids, hopefully I'll learn. Is there any "how now to be a lovely dad" books or websites I should read? That sounds horrible, I just don't want to screw up raising a child.

We've had a girls name picked out for a long time, but no luck on boy's names. She won't let me name it THOR like I want. Argh!

newts
Oct 10, 2012

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Have you okayed this with the hospital?? You should make sure they'll let your daughter in the birthing area if this is your plan. I know some hospitals will not.

Also some hospitals have a rule about not allowing kids in the labor and delivery ward right now because of the flu. I know someone who is expecting who was told even after the birth her child can't come meet the baby because of the flu risk.

Better to figure out a plan now than wait and be perplexed by it all!

There's not much we can do about it. Either she's allowed in or my husband will just have to watch her somewhere else while I'm in labor. My parents will get here a few days before my due date, so I'm just hoping the baby doesn't come early.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Haydez posted:

I'm slowly working my way through the thread trying to take this all in. My wife is going in for her first ob appointment next week (will be 9th week) ... and she definitely wants me to go. There's no problems with me going this early right? I presume I just wait in the waiting room until they call me in. My google-fu so far says they'll be asking her questions without me around (i.e. sex with other guys etc) but then I'm allowed in? I swear everything I search I find 2 sets of answers for. Looks like some people get an ultrasound on this visit, but others the doctor's wait much longer.

I'm a nervous wreck. We totally planned this and was trying for about 4 months but I'm still nervous. I'm not very good with kids, hopefully I'll learn. Is there any "how now to be a lovely dad" books or websites I should read? That sounds horrible, I just don't want to screw up raising a child.

We've had a girls name picked out for a long time, but no luck on boy's names. She won't let me name it THOR like I want. Argh!

My husband didn't have to wait outside or anything & I don't see why you would need to either. Your wife just needs to ask the doctors office what to expect for a first visit. We got an ultrasound to confirm the due date based on my charting & I think they took some blood. But some doctors wait & it might depend on how many ultrasounds your insurance will cover.

As far as books go, we haven't started worrying about raising our little boy yet since he's only 8 weeks old, but my husband enjoyed reading this during my pregnancy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XWDD8W/ref=oh_d__o04_details_o04__i00

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 31, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

GoreJess posted:

My husband didn't have to wait outside or anything & I don't see why you would need to either. Your wife just needs to ask the doctors office what to expect for a first visit. We got an ultrasound to confirm the due date based on my charting & I think they took some blood. But some doctors wait & it might depend on how many ultrasounds your insurance will cover.

Yeah, my husband came to most of my appointments and was with me from the time they called me back until I left. I always got there and checked in, went back to pee in a cup for them to test for protein in my urine, then went back to the waiting room with him until they called us. The person checking my urine always did the "Do you feel safe at home?" question in that few minutes when he wasn't with me. That question was also on every piece of paperwork I had to fill out, the doctor would always hand me the paperwork, then distract him with conversation while I filled it out.

There were a few appointments he wasn't there for, I'm sure that if I had made it to a certain point in my pregnancy without them seeing me independent of him, they probably would have asked me to make at least 1 appointment without him, or asked him to wait in the waiting room.

Also, hell yeah for Thor! That was my firstborn's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.