Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ManiacClown posted:

That's very good to hear. Where is that option? I want to know so I can come back here to look for when we get it, assuming we do. How's the battery life?

Here's a video I found on youtube explaining how to set a data limit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etFroj89LCY

It probably hasn't changed since the video was made.

As for then battery life, it seems to be very good. If you wanted any better, you'd have to go with a phone with a monster battery like the Razr HD MAXX/Note 2. The smaller screen on the Razr M and the more power efficient chipset means that battery life probably won't be a problem unless you have the screen on for 4+ hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
^^^What he said^^^

Battery life is pretty great, worlds better than anything but a MAXX or RAZR HD that I've used. Very durable too, I've dropped mine plenty chasing my dog.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Yep mine has taken the plunge off the elliptical a couple of times and not even a scratch. Its a tough sonofabitch.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
A friend just gave me his retired Razr Maxx to replace my failing Bionic. The Maxx has been deactivated from his line for a couple months, still has its old sim in it. What's the process for setting this up on my account? I have unlimited data and use more than 2G/mo so I'd like to keep it.

Can I do it online somehow, or do I need to call?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NewcastleBrown posted:

A friend just gave me his retired Razr Maxx to replace my failing Bionic. The Maxx has been deactivated from his line for a couple months, still has its old sim in it. What's the process for setting this up on my account? I have unlimited data and use more than 2G/mo so I'd like to keep it.

Can I do it online somehow, or do I need to call?

Shove your old sim into it. Done.
(May need to cut it down. I dont remember if the bionic has a full size or micro)

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Bionic is larger than the Maxx, definitely.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NewcastleBrown posted:

Bionic is larger than the Maxx, definitely.

So take the one from the maxx, trace the one from the bionic, and cut it down to fit. Itll work.

Also, A corp store will activate it for free and set you up with a new sim for free if you dont wanna gently caress with it.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Thanks for the info. I'm looking it up now!

Edit: Worked like a charm. Thanks for that, I never would have dreamed of hacking up my SIM.

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 24, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
How much data does the gps/mapping feature(s) suck down if they are kept on for longer trips? (Is there a data/hr measurement for apps like this?)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Very little, as long as you don't have Satellite view turned on.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FRINGE posted:

How much data does the gps/mapping feature(s) suck down if they are kept on for longer trips? (Is there a data/hr measurement for apps like this?)

Google. maps isnt too bad. You can precache the trip and use zero data if you have the patience to save the sections you need.

I ended up just downloading an offline gps app.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Thanks. :) I was worried about the basic maps.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm looking to join my mom's verizon account (I'd be cancelling my Sprint one) and would like to get a phone from amazon since it's cheaper. My mom refuses to do any online account changes or allow me access to her account, and wants to do this in a store. If I want to keep my number, will I need to go to the store, switch my account over, then order the Max HD and wait several days for it to arrive?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Edit: nm, I am illiterate

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

mastershakeman posted:

I'm looking to join my mom's verizon account (I'd be cancelling my Sprint one) and would like to get a phone from amazon since it's cheaper. My mom refuses to do any online account changes or allow me access to her account, and wants to do this in a store. If I want to keep my number, will I need to go to the store, switch my account over, then order the Max HD and wait several days for it to arrive?

No, you have to do it all at once. You can either add the line in the store and take fulfillment of the phone there and pay the price Verizon is asking, OR you can add the line via Amazon online and pay the price that they're asking.

What is her holdup with using the magical internet box?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

If I do an Assumption of Liability to bring my mother in law's single VZW line over to our 2 line family plans as a 3rd line, nothing will change with our current 2 lines (i.e. unlimited data, right?)

Also, her contract is up in February, will we have to wait till after the contract is up?

Miss Bean
Jun 5, 2005

Don't spill the beans!!
I am considering buying a used Samsung Galaxy S3 from Craigslist. How do I protect myself during this transaction? How can I ensure that the ESN is not bad? I've never purchased an expensive electronic item like this from Craigslist before, and I don't want to get screwed!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Miss Bean posted:

I am considering buying a used Samsung Galaxy S3 from Craigslist. How do I protect myself during this transaction? How can I ensure that the ESN is not bad? I've never purchased an expensive electronic item like this from Craigslist before, and I don't want to get screwed!

The most reliable way is to meet the seller at a Verizon store and have it activated right there.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

If I do an Assumption of Liability to bring my mother in law's single VZW line over to our 2 line family plans as a 3rd line, nothing will change with our current 2 lines (i.e. unlimited data, right?)

Also, her contract is up in February, will we have to wait till after the contract is up?
Nothing needs to change with your existing lines, you'll just be adding a 3rd. No need to wait for her contract to end since AOL doesn't terminate the line it just moves it within Verizon. If you were porting our to another carrier then it would be best to wait for the contract to end.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My friend's contract is up and she is trying to get a new phone. She's on a family plan that is paid for entirely by her father, who is also the administrator on the account. Apparently there is a 5-character password that she needs to do the upgrade, but she doesn't know it and neither does he. He lives out of town and apparently isn't the easiest person to work with. He's managed to log on to his web account and change his personal password, but not the one on the account. Is there a simple way that he can reset the account password?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My friend's contract is up and she is trying to get a new phone. She's on a family plan that is paid for entirely by her father, who is also the administrator on the account. Apparently there is a 5-character password that she needs to do the upgrade, but she doesn't know it and neither does he. He lives out of town and apparently isn't the easiest person to work with. He's managed to log on to his web account and change his personal password, but not the one on the account. Is there a simple way that he can reset the account password?

Yes, he needs to call care *611 and tell them he needs to reset his billing password. Its 4-5 alphanumeric characters [A-Z0-9]

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

I think he can just call during the upgrade process (or have the rep call him) and it'll be fine. He can reset the password online no doubt.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

JP Money posted:

I think he can just call during the upgrade process (or have the rep call him) and it'll be fine. He can reset the password online no doubt.

Can't reset it online if you don't know the current one. :eng101: Also you'll only piss off the rep that is helping in store and the one on the phone if you try to do it while processing the upgrade. Just have him call and reset it and go from there.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Can't reset it online if you don't know the current one. :eng101: Also you'll only piss off the rep that is helping in store and the one on the phone if you try to do it while processing the upgrade. Just have him call and reset it and go from there.

That's strange, I've never needed to access any part of my online billing just to upgrade. I've always gone into the VZW store and they take care of it. Even while on a family plan they simply called up the account holder and asked "is this cool?" and when the answer was yes they proceeded.

I don't see why this is any different unless she is insisting on doing the upgrade herself online and the dad refuses to help. Is there a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing (or has VZW changed their policies to make upgrades more strict?).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
She's doing the upgrade at a Best Buy because it's $100 cheaper for the same phone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

She's doing the upgrade at a Best Buy because it's $100 cheaper for the same phone.

Ah that makes much more sense. I think the winning suggestion is to tell dad to stop being a dick and help.

bub
Apr 9, 2001
ffffffffffff
If you want to reset the password the sketchy way and have the last 4 of the SSN of the account holder, just dial #225# from a Verizon phone on the account. After it asks for the billing password, enter it wrong like 3 times and it let's you reset it with the last 4 of the SSN.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Penguissimo posted:

The most reliable way is to meet the seller at a Verizon store and have it activated right there.

Yeah, this is the most reliable way. I met the seller in a public place instead, and I just checked the ESN # using Verizon's website to make sure that it was clean. I guess this is a little risky because the guy could have been a dick and tell his insurance afterwards that the phone got stolen to claim insurance money, but luckily that didn't happen. Maybe I would ask Verizon to add a note on to your account saying that you bought the phone from someone else. And, just to be safe, you could ask the guy to bring all of the original packaging to further legitimize that you didn't steal the phone or anything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I get a new upgrade at the end of April and am still on my Unlimited Data plan, which I plan to transfer over to a new Android phone (currently on an HTC Thunderbolt). Sadly, the Sony Xperia S, U, and the upcoming Z are all GSM phones and therefore not an option, which makes me very sad... The PLAY is a non-option for me, mainly because I don't game on my phone much at all... no time. I'm totally behind the times on what Verizon is offering now outside of the new Samsung Nexus S, are there any other 4G phones on the horizon in the next few months that I should be on the lookout for?

Mainly I'm looking for something with solid battery life, a nice screen, and a nice camera. Ideally of comparable size to the Thunderbolt and not super loving huge like that one Samsung phone I've seen a few people with. Those are the main priorities. I'm in residency at the moment and Verizon is the only service with reliable reception in my hospital, so I'm definitely sticking with them... just need a solid and reliable phone, and I unfortunately don't know much about the current generation and I'm not a medical student anymore like when I got the Thunderbolt, so I don't have hours of downtime every week to research all the options and go to stores and play with them and whatnot... probably will just grab whatever is most highly recommended by you guys off of Amazon and call it a day.

I realize it's probably a bit early to be asking since there's still another 4 months until my upgrade, but if there's some new killer phone with 48 hour battery life and a 12 MP camera on it coming out in like June, it'd be good to know so I don't rush into a new phone. I'm on a 2 year contract, so how would it work with an upgrade? Do I have to use it straight away, or can I renew my existing contract and then activate the new phone on it (and probably reset the contract's start date, but whatever) once I get it in the next 6 months or so? I know getting VZW to agree to carrying over my Unlimited Data will be a tricky task, but I've been a customer for over a decade now, and both myself, my sister, and my parents are all on their service, so if they try to welch on me I'll start threatening cancellation without hesitation... hell, the fact that I can't get an Xperia already has me a little sore, it's a beautiful phone. No idea how well it performs long term, but my coworker that has one loves it, though he just uses it to surf the internet, make phone calls, and text.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 30, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I know getting VZW to agree to carrying over my Unlimited Data will be a tricky task, but I've been a customer for over a decade now, and both myself, my sister, and my parents are all on their service, so if they try to welch on me I'll start threatening cancellation without hesitation.

This isn't possible anymore unless you pay full (unsubsidized price) for a phone AFAIK. You'll have to go on a tiered or shared plan - both of which limit your data.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JP Money posted:

This isn't possible anymore unless you pay full (unsubsidized price) for a phone AFAIK. You'll have to go on a tiered or shared plan - both of which limit your data.

Hmm... so if I just bought a phone straight up and activated it on my own, I could keep the existing plan?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Yes. That is the only way to keep unlimited data. Any upgrades will force you to a tiered plan.

You have to weigh how much you use data vs the savings from a subsidized phone, which is usually about 4-500$ retail, and somewhere around $300 or less when bought on Ebay/CL et al.

If you want great battery life, get a Razr HD Maxx. Camera isn't as good as some, but its a modern phone and has ridiculous battery life.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Yes. That is the only way to keep unlimited data. Any upgrades will force you to a tiered plan.

You have to weigh how much you use data vs the savings from a subsidized phone, which is usually about 4-500$ retail, and somewhere around $300 or less when bought on Ebay/CL et al.

If you want great battery life, get a Razr HD Maxx. Camera isn't as good as some, but its a modern phone and has ridiculous battery life.

The cost is less of an issue if it keeps the unlimited data, because I easily use over 4 gigs a month, sometimes up to 7 or 8. How is the battery life on the Galaxy S3? I've been looking at reviews online, and they're pretty mixed... I'm probably a medium usage user... on 3G using LiquidSmooth ROM my Thunderbolt's charge lasts a solid 16 hours or so before it gets down into the 20s. That's on the default battery, not an extended, with the GPS off. The TBolt has notoriously lovely battery life, though, so I'd assume most of the newer generation are a lot better, particularly with 4G?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Fuzz posted:

The cost is less of an issue if it keeps the unlimited data, because I easily use over 4 gigs a month, sometimes up to 7 or 8. How is the battery life on the Galaxy S3? I've been looking at reviews online, and they're pretty mixed... I'm probably a medium usage user... on 3G using LiquidSmooth ROM my Thunderbolt's charge lasts a solid 16 hours or so before it gets down into the 20s. That's on the default battery, not an extended, with the GPS off. The TBolt has notoriously lovely battery life, though, so I'd assume most of the newer generation are a lot better, particularly with 4G?

Running the stock TouchWiz build, my wife and I get all-day+ with our normal usage on the S3.

I'm getting not quite as good on the battery using CM10.1, but still gets me through the day just fine.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'm currently on Sprint and want to be added to my friend's existing Verizon family plan. I think he has one of the older family plans, not a share everything or whatever.

Is buying it from this link on Amazon the cheapest way to go:

http://wireless.amazon.com/dp/B009P5WWPC

I don't really get how Amazon is selling the Razr MAXX HD for $100 while Verizon sells them for $250, is this right? I just have him click "Add to my Family Account" and I should be good to go? How do I go about keeping my current Sprint number.

Or am I all wrong about how this works?

Basically how do I switch my Sprint line over to a Razr MAXX on my friends family plan? Thanks ahead.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

visuvius posted:

I don't really get how Amazon is selling the Razr MAXX HD for $100 while Verizon sells them for $250, is this right?
Verizon pays resellers a commission to get you to sign a contract. Since Amazon's costs are lower (no physical stores to run & no people to staff them) they can afford to "split" that commission with you in the form of a discount on the phone.

The tradeoff to buying from a reseller is if you take that phone off the account before 181 days, Verizon will claw back their commission from Amazon, and Amazon will charge you a $400 fee.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Im frozen in the "razr m or razr HD maxx" debate. I know the obvious differences/advantages but has anyone played with both of them enough to have some personal opinions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FRINGE posted:

Im frozen in the "razr m or razr HD maxx" debate. I know the obvious differences/advantages but has anyone played with both of them enough to have some personal opinions?

The only real considerations are size vs screen resolution and larger battery.

They are the same device otherwise.

Just go in a store and handle both of them and look at the screen. That's the only way to make the choice.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I can't decide between the Razr maxx HD and the HTC Droid DNA. I've read all the reviews but i still can't decide. My Evo 3D has a dual core processor so I feel like the Razrs processor is a bit of a let down and the 1080p screen on the DNA sounds fantastic. I'm already used to having not that great battery life but with my Evo, I really rely on being able to switch out battery's. The non removable battery on the DNA worries me. Also the lack of memory expansion on the DNA is kind of lovely.

Which one should i pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

visuvius posted:

I can't decide between the Razr maxx HD and the HTC Droid DNA. I've read all the reviews but i still can't decide. My Evo 3D has a dual core processor so I feel like the Razrs processor is a bit of a let down and the 1080p screen on the DNA sounds fantastic. I'm already used to having not that great battery life but with my Evo, I really rely on being able to switch out battery's. The non removable battery on the DNA worries me. Also the lack of memory expansion on the DNA is kind of lovely.

Which one should i pick?

RAZR maxx HD. Simple.

• Locked thread