Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Peenmaster posted:

I got a small haul from Phoenix Games with the help of my state tax return.

I picked up an NES controller because the 2 that I possess currently have lovely D-pads that cause me to die a lot. This one I tested in store and it's perfect.

You can also get replacement rubber pad sets for the worn-out NES and SNES controllers for $3.50 each:
http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/2263-Replacement-Rubber-Pads-for-NES-controller/
http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/2297-SNES-Controller-Rubber-Pad-Repair-Parts/

After cleaning the board contacts with alcohol and replacing the pads, it feels like a new controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

elf help book posted:

Bottom Right: opened copy of Glover.

Ow. That was physically painful.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
How are RCA "TruFlat" televisions for retro gaming? Not many folks around here have trinitrons, but there are quite a few of these at the local goodwill and yardsales.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
$50 on craigslist and it was a PITA to get into my apartment but this is so worth it.

It's actually a 480p/1080i HDTV so it works great with the Wii too, which will soften the blows to my wallet as I was contemplating TG16 but I'll just use my Wii instead. I never had a CRT around my cat but she must have been around them before I adopted her because she figured out where she belong within 5 minutes of bringing it in

Edit: This is a Phillips 27PT8320/25 for reference. 480i sources look fantastic on it. Couldn't be happier.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I found yet another 1990's not basketball game based on basketball:

Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball

and here's the summery written on the box:

quote:

The game takes place in the year 2030. Bill Laimbeer has become commissioner of a basketball league, fired the referees and created a style of play without rules. There are no fouls and use of weapons is perfectly legal

It's as awful as you can imagine. Especialy since the target demographic was probably 10 year olds who probably were always shouting " DO A DUNK, DO A SLAM DUNK, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY DUNK, TRY DUNKING MORE!"

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
Me and my brother used to rent that one and he would get seriously mad because he thought I was "hacking" the game to punch him and all he wanted was to play a normal basketball game. :(

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Why is Nicolas Cage wearing basketball armor?

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

StellarX posted:

How are RCA "TruFlat" televisions for retro gaming? Not many folks around here have trinitrons, but there are quite a few of these at the local goodwill and yardsales.

This is what I use and I like it, the colors on it are bright and vivid, and even watching tv on it, the picture is really nice. It only has two sets of rca ports so you would need a rca switch box or something for multiple consoles with rca and they are heavy as sin but overall I really like mine. Of course before this I was using a 20 year old tv with no stereo imputs and had to use a rf modulator so anything would have been better than that.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Star Wars Ep1 Racer owns because you can enter a code that lets you control each engine of your podracer with the analog stick of 2 N64 controllers for an authentic podracing experience.

Oh boy, the only chance I get to mention this lovely thing I have:

That is a $70 controller that had support cut for it after Windows 98. That is a $70 controller that looks about a hundred times better than it actually is. That is a $70 controller from the days when SNES emulation was new, with enough buttons to properly control SNES games (before PSX adapters were around), but worked like poo poo because of that loving tilted D-pad. Did I mention it was $70? Which as a kid is like six months worth of pay today?

Yeah, the thing that killed that Goddamn controller was the retarded D-pad that some Goddamn lunatic decided should be tilted slightly to the right. I get the whole directions of the controller going inward was supposed to be comfortable, but if you've ever touched a single controller with a left-side D-pad in your life, you'd know that's just crazy, like designing a car with the pedals flush flat on the floor because your feet are on the floor anyway, right?!

So yeah. Anyway, it had motion controls inside it (motion controls in the 90s, check that poo poo out), and I had E1 Racer on PC. So naturally being the brilliant loving engineer I was as a child, I turned it upside down and mapped the controls to reverse, and it turned out to be a really fun way to play. That's the most I ever got out of that piece of junk. Even the Wikipedia article tears that thing apart.

You know what? It was the real life version of this:

Tilted D-pad and everything. I was so glad when I found out they just went back to the Dualshock 2 controllers for PS3.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 31, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ohnoitschris posted:

Even the Wikipedia article tears that thing apart.

You know what? It was the real life version of this:

Tilted D-pad and everything. I was so glad when I found out they just went back to the Dualshock 2 controllers for PS3.

There was a 3rd party controller that looked exactly like that for the original Playstation. Pre-dual shock era even, that's how long ago it was made.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 31, 2013

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

There was a 3rd party controller that looked exactly like that for the original Playstation. Pre-dual shock era even, that's how long ago it was made.

Wow, I've never seen that one. It looks... gothy, somehow

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just got back from helping one of my mom's friends with computer trouble, but before I went home, I decided to stop by one of the stores in my town that sells games to find a N64 controller. But, I walked out with this little guy I never thought I'd find in person for $8 + change.

Aside from the slight label damage and some sharpie/dirt on the plastic, it's in really good condition for the price.

What I'm really happy about, though, is that this completes the console TMNT beat-em-up trilogy for my collection.

I don't have TMNT 1 yet. But, I will get it someday and probably never play it since everything I've seen/heard about it (especially the last couple levels) make games like Ninja Gaiden look easy.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

flyboi posted:

$50 on craigslist and it was a PITA to get into my apartment but this is so worth it.

It's actually a 480p/1080i HDTV so it works great with the Wii too, which will soften the blows to my wallet as I was contemplating TG16 but I'll just use my Wii instead. I never had a CRT around my cat but she must have been around them before I adopted her because she figured out where she belong within 5 minutes of bringing it in

Edit: This is a Phillips 27PT8320/25 for reference. 480i sources look fantastic on it. Couldn't be happier.

Does the picture look good on yours? I have a Samsung 3:4 1080i/480p with a picture as good as the day I got it. I have a similar widescreen Phillips and the picture is getting fuzzy/has some wavy lines. I'm the third owner of this 220 lbs monster and honestly can't wait until it stops working so I can justify buying a replacement.

/\/\/\TMNT the Arcade game was incredible at release. It was such an incredible port at the time (and is still fun today for sure). I think I prefer it to the original arcade version.

You should watch the AVGN review of TMNT. I personally always hosed up after finishing the damned dam.

thedouche fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 31, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

thedouche posted:

/\/\/\TMNT the Arcade game was incredible at release. It was such an incredible port at the time (and is still fun today for sure). I think I prefer it to the original.

I've been meaning to always pick that game up as well as Turtles in time, but it seems to always be 40-70 bucks in most places for either. The only turtles games I have are TMNT1 and TMNT3 for the NES, and I am bothered by my unfinished Turtles set. That and both versions of the Tournament Fighter for Genesis and SNES are entirely different games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 31, 2013

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
TMNT 3 on NES is a pretty impressive game actually. I wish it would have gotten an arcade / SNES version at some point.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

thedouche posted:

Does the picture look good on yours? I have a Samsung 3:4 1080i/480p with a picture as good as the day I got it. I have a similar widescreen Phillips and the picture is getting fuzzy/has some wavy lines. I'm the third owner of this 220 lbs monster and honestly can't wait until it stops working so I can justify buying a replacement.

Yeah the picture is great. The previous owner was some old lady who never used it. Cable wasn't even programmed on it :haw:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

thedouche posted:

/\/\/\TMNT the Arcade game was incredible at release. It was such an incredible port at the time (and is still fun today for sure). I think I prefer it to the original arcade version.

You should watch the AVGN review of TMNT. I personally always hosed up after finishing the damned dam.
Yeah, TMNT 2 is one of my favorite games in my collection and I do consider it superior to the original arcade version despite the inferior graphics and sound. It also contains one of the greatest and most underrated NES game songs I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDzWp9ZmZBI

I've seen the AVGN reviews (I think he did a re-review of it a year or two ago) of TMNT 1 and I think those videos were the main reason why I'm not in a hurry to get the game. I actually played a littlle bit of it on an emulator a few times, but I couldn't get myself to play past the first boss.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I've been meaning to always pick that game up as well as Turtles in time, but it seems to always be 40-70 bucks in most places for either.
Who or what decided TMNT 2 is worth $40-70? Even if it's CIB, that still sounds insanely high. :psyduck:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I remember me and my friends were on the lookout for the other TMNT games for the NES, but every time we thought we found one, it just ended up being that hilariously difficult first one. We'd always hear about the supposedly better, other NES titles, but every time we found a Turtles game in a rental shop or anything we'd bring it home and just find it was THAT ONE again.

Eventually we just gave up and played the hell out of the SNES and Sega Turtles games as they came out.

ohnoitschris posted:

Wow, I've never seen that one. It looks... gothy, somehow

Possibly because it resembles a Batarang. Even moreso than the initial PS3 controllers which were unflatteringly called that. And just now in looking I'm honestly kind of surprised SA doesn't have a Batman smiley of some kind.

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I found yet another 1990's not basketball game based on basketball:

Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball

and here's the summery written on the box:

It's as awful as you can imagine. Especialy since the target demographic was probably 10 year olds who probably were always shouting " DO A DUNK, DO A SLAM DUNK, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY DUNK, TRY DUNKING MORE!"

That's too bad, I actually would have imagined the game might have been decent like the other combat sports titles, like mutant league football or hockey. Or like Looney Tunes B-Ball, which was basically the Mario Kart version of the sport and one I spent hours on with friends back in the day.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
All the TV chat reminds me of the recent gaming TV I bought. Basically, I loaned my previous one to my mom and decided to swing by Goodwill to get a replacement. The only small and cheap Trinitron they had was one that only had RF and mono composite jacks, so no go on that. So what did I get instead?

Well, my previous TV was a brand I don't think anyone is familiar with. My replacement TV? Let's just say:

Is it live, or is it Memorex?

Yes, I was just as surprised as many of you probably are.

But flatscreen, non-HD CRT, made in 2008, with front and back composite-in, S-Video, and component plugs for $15 out the door? Sold! Picture's not half bad, either. I'm the king of weird, off-brand, but surprisingly functional TVs. Yet it seems so appropriate - why shouldn't I retro game on a TV produced under a marque most commonly associated with cassette tapes (très retro!), VHS tapes (also très retro!), and its '70s/'80s advertising?

So I ask you, retro thread: does this make me one of the retro cool kids, or one of the nosepicking paste-eaters?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Midnight Raider posted:

Possibly because it resembles a Batarang. Even moreso than the initial PS3 controllers which were unflatteringly called that. And just now in looking I'm honestly kind of surprised SA doesn't have a Batman smiley of some kind.

:nolan:

I distinctly recall Video Power being the first place I heard about TMNT: The Manhattan Project. They plugged/gave that game away for like a solid month.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

So I ask you, retro thread: does this make me one of the retro cool kids, or one of the nosepicking paste-eaters?

I still have the Montgomery Ward 14" that was our main TV when I was a wee lad. Some of the buttons are wearing out and the coax input no longer picks up sound (last time I checked) but it's still functional otherwise some 25+ years later.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 31, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I had TMNT3 back in the day and it was the best NES TMNT game made. Except for maybe Tournament Fighter, which seemed pretty awesome but is impossible to find.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Discount Viscount posted:

:nolan:

I distinctly recall Video Power being the first place I heard about TMNT: The Manhattan Project. They plugged/gave that game away for like a solid month.

Coincidentally, Video Power also pimped the ever-loving poo poo out of Batman for NES.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

zenintrude posted:

Coincidentally, Video Power also pimped the ever-loving poo poo out of Batman for NES.

Rightfully so, that game was awesome. Now if they were pimping Batman for the Turbo-Grafix 16...

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
60 to 72 pin adapters are expensive as hell on eBay! Is the cheapest way to make your own by busting up one of the NES games that had Nintendo-made adapters inside them?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Obeast posted:

Who or what decided TMNT 2 is worth $40-70? Even if it's CIB, that still sounds insanely high. :psyduck:

There's some videogame price guide that Digital Press puts out, but I question their methods of data gathering. Someone gave me a list of 25 SNES games that are under 5 bucks and are rather good games, so I'm pretty much going off of that for the time being. I'm almost to 30 games for the system.

I've also noticed that there was a whole ton of Anime games that were being made into not anime in their box art. Stuff like Pocky and Rocky which seems to resemble Ren and Stimpy from font choice to character depictions on the box art. The best though had to be Brawl Brothers/Rushing Beat, the box art looks nothing like the game at all. It doesn't even tell you that you're just going to be beating up robots the entire time.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Am I seeing things or are the face buttons teardrop shaped?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I started playing Resident Evil 0 today. My RE skills are very rusty, so it took me 2 hours to get through the Train because I couldn't figure out the puzzle to get Rebecca out of the room she was locked in. The pre-rendered graphics still look pretty good, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dross posted:

Am I seeing things or are the face buttons teardrop shaped?

Yeah they're really shaped like tear drops.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ACID POLICE posted:

60 to 72 pin adapters are expensive as hell on eBay! Is the cheapest way to make your own by busting up one of the NES games that had Nintendo-made adapters inside them?

Probably, if you can find somebody selling one who doesn't know what they have.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

There's some videogame price guide that Digital Press puts out, but I question their methods of data gathering. Someone gave me a list of 25 SNES games that are under 5 bucks and are rather good games, so I'm pretty much going off of that for the time being. I'm almost to 30 games for the system.
I've never used Digital Press for pricing games, but I know they do have a good reputation in the game collecting community. For pricing, I recommend using Video Game Price Charting and Rarity Guide. They both take average prices mostly from eBay, Amazon, and Half.com, but they're updated constantly and can give you a good idea on if you're getting a good deal or not.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

ACID POLICE posted:

They're really well-known at this point, you will need some great luck to find one in a cart.

Also, eBay will delete listings for these adapters, which is probably why they're pretty expensive. They consider them on the same level as modding equipment/flashcarts, "even if they're official", I was told.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
krikzz posted pics of the final pcb for the famicom everdrive
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=126.msg2643#msg2643

Looks like it has 4mbit for CHR and PRG so it should be able to support every size of official rom out there. Dunno if any hacks go bigger though.

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
Has anyone tried the Retrobright method to "whiten" their old consoles? I got an AV Famicom and the poor guy looks super gray compared to the photos I see on the internet so I'd like to try it :(

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Doesn't the Wii look gorgeous on that thing? Make sure you are using component cables and set it to progressive, but really when I had one of those HD CRTs I could not believe how awesome the Wii looked. Everything looked hi-res; like playing Dreamcast over VGA on my old 17" computer CRT :allears:

Also get used to your cat being up there. They like the nice heat expelled from CRTs.

Monitor Burn posted:

Thought I'd post my setup. Thanks, retro thread for introducing me to :retrogames:

UGC shelf

Woah where'd you get that sexy modded SNES mini from? :v:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So after beating Michael Jordan:Chaos in the Windy City, I have to say the most apt comparison is that it's pretty much Moonwalker but with Basketball and with Metroid Style powerups. The platformer has no terrible unfair jumps and really nothing made you want to throw down the controller. It's definetly not as good as Super Mario World, Super Metroid or even Earthworm Jim 2 or Vectorman, but then again the game only a few bucks. The game just like Moonwalker takes itself seriously, there is no tongue and cheek humor about the situations. It's literally Jordan is a basketball wizard who controls the elements and throws fire/ice/laser beam balls and you better take believe it because he's Michael Jordan and you're stupid if you don't think he's just that amazing.

If you have 2 bucks in your pocket and you see the game, get it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Doesn't the Wii look gorgeous on that thing? Make sure you are using component cables and set it to progressive, but really when I had one of those HD CRTs I could not believe how awesome the Wii looked. Everything looked hi-res; like playing Dreamcast over VGA on my old 17" computer CRT :allears:

Also get used to your cat being up there. They like the nice heat expelled from CRTs.

Yeah, it's surprising how well it looks because every tv I've used Wii on has looked like blurry rear end. CRTs are just perfect for older content. The one frustrating thing though is most all Wii games are actually designed with 16:9 in mind even though it's a 480p signal so things can look quite dumb on it in 4:3 480p mode. For instance Skyrim Sword will only play in widescreen even if you set the console to 4:3 :downs:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Yeah, it's surprising how well it looks because every tv I've used Wii on has looked like blurry rear end. CRTs are just perfect for older content. The one frustrating thing though is most all Wii games are actually designed with 16:9 in mind even though it's a 480p signal so things can look quite dumb on it in 4:3 480p mode. For instance Skyrim Sword will only play in widescreen even if you set the console to 4:3 :downs:

Oh I never played Skyward Sword on it but Twilight Princess looked amazing. Like legit hi-def. Way better than a regular CRT as well .

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

flyboi posted:

I've always gotten around this by setting the tv to letter boxed wide screen mode when necessary. It annoyed the gently caress out of me with my 360 at first (to play in 1080i, widescreen is your only option) because my Samsung CRT had some weird rainbow lines in the letterbox, but I got used to it pretty fast though (I got the TV for use with my original Xbox and the jump from regular television to 480p component was loving amazing. Going from 480p to 1080i for the 360 was a nice jump too. I imagine I'll really freak out when someday I'm about 2 resolutions behind with 720p).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WendigoJohnson posted:

So after beating Michael Jordan:Chaos in the Windy City, I have to say the most apt comparison is that it's pretty much Moonwalker but with Basketball and with Metroid Style powerups. The platformer has no terrible unfair jumps and really nothing made you want to throw down the controller. It's definetly not as good as Super Mario World, Super Metroid or even Earthworm Jim 2 or Vectorman, but then again the game only a few bucks. The game just like Moonwalker takes itself seriously, there is no tongue and cheek humor about the situations. It's literally Jordan is a basketball wizard who controls the elements and throws fire/ice/laser beam balls and you better take believe it because he's Michael Jordan and you're stupid if you don't think he's just that amazing.

If you have 2 bucks in your pocket and you see the game, get it.
I rented this game when I was a kid and I remember liking it. I liked a lot of really dumb poo poo back then though so who knows v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It has one of the best cover art too. I bought a CIB copy for less than $10 bucks and it was well worth it.

• Locked thread