Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iceslice
May 20, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

Is that guy in the tux Sergeant Forum? It looks just like him.

Google image search them, you'll find more. One of them has a list of names on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

iceslice posted:

I don't know why it doesn't want to show images for me but here are some awesome links to awesome guys doing awesome stuff:

http://imgur.com/Byftbze
http://imgur.com/cv4gt3n

Rumor is that that guy is kind of a douche. As in smoking the 18x that had just passed selection until they were heat casualties.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Kick-Puncher posted:

Rumor is that that guy is kind of a douche. As in smoking the 18x that had just passed selection until they were heat casualties.

All I'll say is that early parts of the Q, especially for xrays, is a matter of being smart and fit enough to survive.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

iceslice posted:

Google image search them, you'll find more. One of them has a list of names on it.

Heh, yeah, it's him. I'm also apparently the last person around here to find out about that.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Mzuri posted:

From Danish newspaper Politiken's web-page, here's a clip about a female sniper in Aleppo, Syria. Mother of two, former English teacher. The interview bits are in English, and they are also by far the most interesting part.

http://politiken.dk/poltv/nyheder/udland/ECE1883013/mor-til-to-og-snigskytte-slaar-ihjel-for-sine-boern/

Now, I'm no sniper, but are you supposed to be holding the rifle that way?

Moving in in the open during daylight? Carrying her weapon like she's afraid of it? She's most likely already dead.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

0rganDonor posted:

Moving in in the open during daylight? Carrying her weapon like she's afraid of it? She's most likely already dead.

The heels she's wearing will give her more than enough speed to break contact or evade arty.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Ahahahaha holy poo poo are they reduced to just completely fictionalizing stories at this point? There's no way that's real.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
All wars are propaganda wars, especially in the age of the internet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Scratch Monkey posted:

All wars are propaganda wars, especially in the age of the internet.

FREE CARO

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I really wish Caro would get some help.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Godholio posted:

FREE CARO

AB posted:

I really wish Caro would get some help.

I agree with both of these sentiments. As someone with mental health issues who got better, I want very badly to figure out a way to get that guy some help.. but statistically, it'll never happen and he's far more likely to shoot up a kindergarten class than he is to take anti-psychotics and work a 9-5 job.

It's painful to read about guys like Caro, it really is. And odds are, he is probably an extremely intelligent guy. But mental illness is such a loving nightmare that.. well.. he goes to Libya and Syria and fears that we're all CIA drones.

:(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

TheUnhorse posted:

Ahahahaha holy poo poo are they reduced to just completely fictionalizing stories at this point? There's no way that's real.

From what I've heard a lot of these "women on the frontlines" type stories are just for the cameras.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So, back in 2003 after rolling into Baghdad somebody had the brilliant idea to send his troops to the Al-Rashid to destroy this tile mosaic of George Bush Sr. set into the entryway floor.

Somebody thought this was a great idea despite the fact that there was widespread looting going on at the time, and they could have been better used elsewhere. The mosaic was installed after the Gulf War as an insult to Bush Sr. as people coming into the hotel would be encouraged to tread on, and wipe their dirty feet on his face. The bottom of the shoe is considered dirty in Arab culture, and intentionally showing someone the bottom of your shoe is akin to flipping someone off in the US. In another unfortunate twist the Artist who created the mosaic was accidentally killed in the 1993 cruise missile attacks against Iraq which were in retaliation for an alleged assassination attempt against Bush Sr. which was probably fabricated by Kuwaiti intelligence. This attack also killed her husband, and blinded her daughter.

Not my picture, I was in middle school when this happened. I just happened to read about this yesterday.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Heh, dicks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What the hell is that?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://blogs.defensenews.com/modern-day-marine/2012/09/25/ied-detection-tool-to-undergo-review/

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
15 feet is a pretty safe distance!!!

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Pufflekins posted:

15 feet is a pretty safe distance!!!

Better than walking up on it or waiting for EOD.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

Better than walking up on it or waiting for EOD.

you could roll up on it in a pog-ey tank

vains
May 26, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

you could roll up on it in a pog-ey tank

I'd rather not. LAVs dont have a great track record against IEDs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Can't wait to see how many billions of dollars we spend inventing a stick.

vains
May 26, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Can't wait to see how many billions of dollars we spend inventing a stick.

Probably not much since the idea was created and developed in house and appears to be of relatively simple construction. Who knows? Can't be any worse than the oft cited Iraqi counter-IED dowsing rod.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304584404576438290492960696.html
A 30% higher detection rate is pretty good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The people in charge do realize the Army and Marines often carry special sticks capable of sending projectiles further than 15 feet right?

The idiot responsible for that stick is no Curtis Culin.

vains
May 26, 2004

Godholio posted:

The people in charge do realize the Army and Marines often carry special sticks capable of sending projectiles further than 15 feet right?

The idiot responsible for that stick is no Curtis Culin.

I'm no EOD tech but, from what I remember, it is generally frowned upon to shoot an IED in an attempt to blow it up(much less the whole shooting stuff randomly thing).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I dunno, I've heard plenty of stories from old tank commanders where EOD says "gently caress it, light it up with the .50 and we'll call it lunch".

Probably not the greatest thing ever, but gotta be a lot better than a 15 foot stick.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Do they still mount the RHINO aka. Black-flag-thingie on everything over there? That's not even close to 15 feet.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Wonder if they realize US jets fly higher than 16,000ft?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

People have downed helos with cruder weaponry before.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Zippos from VIetnam

http://imgur.com/gallery/p2Yla

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This is the proest one.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21307208

The Iranian Air Force has unveiled their game-changing, IDF-stopping stealth fighter on state TV for the first time.

It appears to be a 1/2 scale model...on the ground. I think that the thing you see flying in the video is a large RC aircraft. The takeoff/landing was not filmed.

I mean, this isn't unheard of. In the 60s they used to make 1/2 scale airplanes to fly in war movies, those look pretty drat convincing on low-res TV. The Ju88 Stukas in The Battle of Britain are examples. The Iranians are pretty well known for sewing together working aircraft from old spare parts.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I don't see a HUD, and that helmet doesn't look like a HMD. Are they pretending this stealth fighter is armed?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Click For Big

Higher resolution image.

Ho-lee poo poo. Look at that thing. The canopy is obviously low-quality plastic. The paint job doesn't look great.

Got another, much smaller:

It's adorable. Interestingly enough, the ejection seat warning there is written in English, something I would not at all expect in Iran.

I found another high-res image as a Google image pull from Freep of all places, but it won't let me re-host it. You can see that the "WARNING" stencils on the sides are not symmetrical.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 2, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Red Crown posted:

Got another, much smaller:

It's adorable. Interestingly enough, the ejection seat warning there is written in English, something I would not at all expect in Iran.

I found another high-res image as a Google image pull from Freep of all places, but it won't let me re-host it. You can see that the "WARNING" stencils on the sides are not symmetrical.
This hi-res cockpit shot was posted in the AI aviation thread earlier today:

http://i47.tinypic.com/24zxgsw.jpg

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Theres no way thats real. You can see how it made out of fiberglass in the high res picture. Its just a fiberglass shell. It would certainly kill anyone inside of it if they actually tried to fly it.

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

oredun posted:

Theres no way thats real. You can see how it made out of fiberglass in the high res picture. Its just a fiberglass shell. It would certainly kill anyone inside of it if they actually tried to fly it.

Replica...

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Haha holy poo poo, I thought the body looked like it was fiberglass in the tiny pic, but the big picture definitely confirms its fiberglass or something similar.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

oredun posted:

Yeah, it's blatantly obvious that it's a fake, but we're not the ones they're trying to fool; this is a dictatorship who's trying to keep his own population from overthrowing him and silencing anyone like us who might point out the insanity of claims.

They're at least getting better at model-making. This one is way better done than the RQ-170 mockup they built.

Edit: I love that that airspeed indicator redline is at 260 knots. Why the hell did Iran release the hi-res images where all this poo poo is so plainly visible?

grover fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 2, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Red Crown posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21307208

The Iranian Air Force has unveiled their game-changing, IDF-stopping stealth fighter on state TV for the first time.

That jet noise in the video is the same clip every movie uses when showing jets fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Syrian Parenting 101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14LMmgeucVk

• Locked thread