Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I'm looking at getting the T-Mobile 30 dollar a month plan and throwing like 35-40 bucks on every month for the occasional voice overage. One thing I'm worried about though and I'm not sure if it's a real issue or just someone making poo poo up. If I port my number over to Google Voice and have my voice mails delivered through their system, am I going to see my minutes balance reduced every time I get a voice mail?

I read somewhere else that Tmobile charges you minutes for calls that go to voice mail as well, regardless of how you check your voice mail. I'm not sure if that's just an issue with Tmobiles voice mail system or something I will bypass all together if I use Google Voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Boondock Saint posted:

So I'm looking at getting the T-Mobile 30 dollar a month plan and throwing like 35-40 bucks on every month for the occasional voice overage. One thing I'm worried about though and I'm not sure if it's a real issue or just someone making poo poo up. If I port my number over to Google Voice and have my voice mails delivered through their system, am I going to see my minutes balance reduced every time I get a voice mail?

I read somewhere else that Tmobile charges you minutes for calls that go to voice mail as well, regardless of how you check your voice mail. I'm not sure if that's just an issue with Tmobiles voice mail system or something I will bypass all together if I use Google Voice.

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but what I did was disable voicemail for my T-Mo number, and have GV handle everything.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Boondock Saint posted:

If you call Google Voice and check your voice mail through the voice prompts then yes it will use your minutes. However, someone leaving you a voice mail does not use any of your minutes because Google picked up the call not you. This is the same as using T-Mobile voice mail.

You will have to call T-Mobile and have them shut off your voice mail. T-Mobile prepaid does not support conditional call forwarding which is what is used to say if my phone rings and I don't pick it up send it to another phone number (like your Google Voice number).

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but what I did was disable voicemail for my T-Mo number, and have GV handle everything.

Does this only work if you have people call your GV number, or does having the app on your phone/gv set up to take voicemail for said phone work?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

Does this only work if you have people call your GV number, or does having the app on your phone/gv set up to take voicemail for said phone work?

I set up my T-Mo # to ring on GV. If someone calls my GV #, it'll route to my phone (with my prepaid T-Mo SIM), and if I don't pick up, GV will handle the voicemail.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

gariig posted:

If you call Google Voice and check your voice mail through the voice prompts then yes it will use your minutes. However, someone leaving you a voice mail does not use any of your minutes because Google picked up the call not you. This is the same as using T-Mobile voice mail.

You will have to call T-Mobile and have them shut off your voice mail. T-Mobile prepaid does not support conditional call forwarding which is what is used to say if my phone rings and I don't pick it up send it to another phone number (like your Google Voice number).

This doesn't sound like it'd be true, but calling from a landline to check my voicemail does not use minutes, correct?

BoyBlunder posted:

I set up my T-Mo # to ring on GV. If someone calls my GV #, it'll route to my phone (with my prepaid T-Mo SIM), and if I don't pick up, GV will handle the voicemail.

Seriously considering porting my $30 plan to GV (and signing up a new one) and doing this, MMS be damned.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

BoyBlunder posted:

If you're checking the voicemail on your phone using the Gvoice app, it'll only use data to download the voicemail message, no minutes are used.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BoyBlunder posted:

That's pretty much my plan if I go forward. Thanks!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

This doesn't sound like it'd be true, but calling from a landline to check my voicemail does not use minutes, correct?

Calling into your voice mail from another phone line does not use your minutes (what I do). If you check your voice mail on your cell phone (dialing yourself or holding 1 on the dialer) will use your minutes because you are just calling yourself and on prepaid a minute is a minute.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I put in my unlock request, but I'm still not sure about the $30 plans. Restricting my data by 20 MB a month would be a lot easier than restricting my calls by 300 minutes a month or whatever. The $50 plan is probably more suitable, but then it's not nearly as much savings (I think AT&T is $60). Are there programs on my phone that will use data in the background without me knowing?

Is there an iPhone app that will let me make free calls over wifi?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Google Voice worked well enough when I tested it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I put in my unlock request, but I'm still not sure about the $30 plans. Restricting my data by 20 MB a month would be a lot easier than restricting my calls by 300 minutes a month or whatever. The $50 plan is probably more suitable, but then it's not nearly as much savings (I think AT&T is $60). Are there programs on my phone that will use data in the background without me knowing?

Is there an iPhone app that will let me make free calls over wifi?

Talkatone and Vonage are your best bets.

My wife is testing T-mobile on her iPhone 4 (minimal 3G in our area) on the $3 plan and had a pretty good question. Will any text messages she receives on her AT&T number (that sim is removed for the time being, the T-mobile is a throwaway number) arrive when she puts the sim in or will they be lost into the ether?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

Talkatone and Vonage are your best bets.

My wife is testing T-mobile on her iPhone 4 (minimal 3G in our area) on the $3 plan and had a pretty good question. Will any text messages she receives on her AT&T number (that sim is removed for the time being, the T-mobile is a throwaway number) arrive when she puts the sim in or will they be lost into the ether?

Yes. Think of it as her phone is "off" to AT&T and when she pops in the AT&T and turns her phone it'll be like turning her phone on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thought about some more, and I rarely actually need to use data anyway. I have wi-fi at home and probably the only time I need data is for google maps, and I can put the route in from home anyway. Thanks for all the help. I did notice that my phone had a total sent/received data of 200 KB or so data, even though I never used it for that. I have all my notifications turned off, is there anything else I can disable that might be causing this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

actionjackson posted:

Thought about some more, and I rarely actually need to use data anyway. I have wi-fi at home and probably the only time I need data is for google maps, and I can put the route in from home anyway. Thanks for all the help. I did notice that my phone had a total sent/received data of 200 KB or so data, even though I never used it for that. I have all my notifications turned off, is there anything else I can disable that might be causing this?

You said iPhone, right? I'm not sure about iOS, but you can turn off all data in the settings on Android. I'd assume you could so the same on iPhone. Or just turn off mobile data and leave wifi on like normal. Then, even if something is checking in the background, the OS should be stopping it.

Edit: Here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203

Uthor fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 30, 2013

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

EDIT: Never mind, answered my own question.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 30, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Uthor posted:

You said iPhone, right? I'm not sure about iOS, but you can turn off all data in the settings on Android. I'd assume you could so the same on iPhone. Or just turn off mobile data and leave wifi on like normal. Then, even if something is checking in the background, the OS should be stopping it.

Edit: Here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203

Yeah I noticed that menu last night. Probably a good idea for me to disable it since I use data rarely anyway. I also reset my usage meter to get an idea of how much I'm using going forward.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Looking to sign up for a Ting account? Please do so through my brother's referral link. Gets you $25 to spend on a phone, or a $25 account credit if you bring your own device.

My brother activated his Sprint Evo 3D and is happy with the service. Set it up with the plan set to 0 min/text/data, so he just gets billed at the end of the cycle for the tiers he used. Alerts are easy to set up to warn you about text, minute, and data usage. You can also have it shut off text/minute/data after a set threshold to avoid any surprise bills.

I made a referral chain in Coupons. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531513

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 1, 2013

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
That Ting ETF credit deal looks awesome, just wish it was more of a guaranteed thing. Do I have to port my number over in order to try and get in on the credit or can I hold my spot in line, get picked, then decide if I'm going to jump ship?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Lblitzer posted:

That Ting ETF credit deal looks awesome, just wish it was more of a guaranteed thing. Do I have to port my number over in order to try and get in on the credit or can I hold my spot in line, get picked, then decide if I'm going to jump ship?
Call support and find out! There should be a FAQ out there on the blog now answering questions like that.

Also sorry folks, I forgot to ask about 50 dollar coupons while i was at work. :( I'm no longer a Ting employee as of today so I won't be able to check on it anymore. Was fun serving you guys!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

I made an account, signed up for the ETF deal which said funds were earmarked, and I didn't order any phones or anything yet. You sign up for the deal before you activate the phones since that involves porting your number. It actually doesn't say when you have to port your number at all that I found.

I did this at 12:01 though so I am actually curious how fast they went through that $100k as I don't see it on the front page anymore.

goku chewbacca posted:

Looking to sign up for a Ting account? Please do so through my brother's referral link. Gets you $25 to spend on a phone, or a $25 account credit if you bring your own device.

My brother activated his Sprint Evo 3D and is happy with the service. Set it up with the plan set to 0 min/text/data, so he just gets billed at the end of the cycle for the tiers he used. Alerts are easy to set up to warn you about text, minute, and data usage. You can also have it shut off text/minute/data after a set threshold to avoid any surprise bills.

I made a referral chain in Coupons. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531513
This is a good idea. I will join the chain soon.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
So is the Ting thing definitely over?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="412116193"]
So is the Ting thing definitely over?
Someone on the Ting forums said it lasted 8 minutes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Anybody have a direct link to the Straight Talk ATT-network MicroSIM?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ilkhan posted:

Anybody have a direct link to the Straight Talk ATT-network MicroSIM?

here

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you put a non-data sim card in a smart phone? If I put a T-mobile no-data prepaid sim in an older iPhone, would I end up with an iPod that can make phone calls, or would it be unusable as a phone?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Baby Proof posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you put a non-data sim card in a smart phone? If I put a T-mobile no-data prepaid sim in an older iPhone, would I end up with an iPod that can make phone calls, or would it be unusable as a phone?

It should work fine, but it may have pop ups occasionally complaining about no data connection.

Has anyone taken their straight talk (at&t) phone to Puerto Rico? Girlfriend is going for spring break and I'm wondering if she'll have decent signal and data.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Just looking for a second opinion, I recently bought a Note 2 off contract and was looking to maybe hop over to Ting or Tmobile. My upgrade comes in a few days and my contract and I'm wondering if the iPhone 5 is worth it to use the upgrade, sell the device and pay the ETF or just pay the ETF now?

Posted this in the Verizon thread, maybe someone here can offer an opinion for me?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lblitzer posted:

Posted this in the Verizon thread, maybe someone here can offer an opinion for me?

$200 for the iphone + $350 for the ETF is $550. A quick glance at ebay shows the low end around $575 for a new iphone 5. If waiting and small profit from flipping it are worth it for you go ahead.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm planning on going to a trip to Flagstaff, AZ in August for two weeks. I know that AT&T doesn't work well there and I wanted to get a T-Mobile SIM. How would I go about doing this? I would only need it for a few weeks so I wouldn't really need to continue paying. What exactly would I have to do?

I'm on Straight Talk GSM AT&T with a Nexus 4.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Order a prepaid sim on the tmobile website and then give them some money.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Long Francesco posted:

Order a prepaid sim on the tmobile website and then give them some money.

The problem is that T-Mobile doesn't exist in Omaha, NE. Would I have to use another address or zip code?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Athenry posted:

$200 for the iphone + $350 for the ETF is $550. A quick glance at ebay shows the low end around $575 for a new iphone 5. If waiting and small profit from flipping it are worth it for you go ahead.

$575 before fees.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Athenry posted:

Most people saying "upgrade to an iPhone, sell it, buy a real phone" are assuming you dont need to pay an ETF.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Most people saying "upgrade to an iPhone, sell it, buy a real phone" are assuming you dont need to pay an ETF.

This whole scheme worked when etfs were $200, when they revised smart phone etfs up they nullified this.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Baby Proof posted:

Works fine as a phone but you have no data (obviously). Go into every setting you can and turn off data. (3G, 2G, Edge) turn them all off and you have a phone that works great and will last days (just like they used to!). It's hilarious that Apple got people and carriers convinced that the iPhone needed data.

I have an iPhone 3G that has served as a wonderful backup phone for a couple years now. Sometimes with a data SIM, most of the times without.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Free T-mobile prepaid sims deal, limit 2, is back:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/88978/tmobile-free-tmobile-prepaid-phone-sim-card-activation-kit-regular-or-micro

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

I'm still waiting for the two I paid $1 each for to arrive (almost a week and a half since ship date)... The shipping number they give isn't even a shipping number.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wow. How convenient, right when I needed one.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Is this something that would work for Straight Talk? Since they tell me I need a TMobile phone and SIM for them? I'm all confused on this poo poo.

• Locked thread