Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fintilgin posted:

Okay, I'm playing this now. I feel kind of dumb though. There MUST be some screen in the game where I can see HOW MUCH of each resource I'm gathering each turn, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I can see my stocks just fine, but not how much I'm producing.

Check the Transport tab? It only shows resources connected to your transport hub, but those are the only things that'll be going into your stockpile anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Thanks for the help everyone! What I'm getting here is that each state needs 4% clergy, so drop lower class tax and use NFs to boost Clergy in all provinces (does primary culture matter? Should I be focusing on only boosting literacy for Poles, or any high pop province; Galicia-Lodomeria is high pop but it's mostly Ukranians).

Also I'm guessing that there's no way to remove Prussian or Russian cores on my provinces :(. Oh well, if it bothers me that much I can always edit the saves so provinces I control no longer have foreign cores or mod a decision to also remove Prussian, Russian, and Austrian cores on all provinces with a Polish core, make it open to Poland if it becomes a great power with soandso military and prestige scores.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

You should pretty much be squeezing as much money from your lower classes as you can at all times. The amount of people who would promote to clergymen by being able to save up money is going to be a tiny trickle, no matter how much you lower their taxes. You can also raise you middle class taxes as high as you want, because with the exception of clerks, all middle class salaries come from the state anyway. And you'll definitely want to max out your upper class taxes to make your useless aristocrats demote to clergy.

So what I'm saying is max taxes on everybody all the time!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tomn posted:

Check the Transport tab? It only shows resources connected to your transport hub, but those are the only things that'll be going into your stockpile anyways.

Yep! That's what I was looking for. Thanks! :)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Fister Roboto posted:

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

You should pretty much be squeezing as much money from your lower classes as you can at all times. The amount of people who would promote to clergymen by being able to save up money is going to be a tiny trickle, no matter how much you lower their taxes. You can also raise you middle class taxes as high as you want, because with the exception of clerks, all middle class salaries come from the state anyway. And you'll definitely want to max out your upper class taxes to make your useless aristocrats demote to clergy.

So what I'm saying is max taxes on everybody all the time!

Huh, I always learned when you want a certain pop badly, lower taxes to encourage lower classes to promote faster. Keep forgetting the golden rule "Tax until they barely want to revolt". Does tax rate affect immigration at all or is there no reason to turn my nation into a peasant version of a tax haven?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Culture doesn't matter for Clergy's boost to literacy, you just want 4% of the pops in a state to be Clergymen to maximize literacy gain, even if they're not primary cultures.

Fantastic! I'll get those Ukranians reading if it kills them :eng101:. Thankfully my higher pop states are already close to 4% already and I'm already seeing huge gains in my literacy rate after pushing clergy to 4% in some of my more populated regions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

Huh, I always learned when you want a certain pop badly, lower taxes to encourage lower classes to promote faster. Keep forgetting the golden rule "Tax until they barely want to revolt". Does tax rate affect immigration at all or is there no reason to turn my nation into a peasant version of a tax haven?

I'm no expert, but AFAIK tax rates do very little as far as promotions are concerned. It's really the Admin/Education/Military sliders, plus National Foci that make a difference. Even taxing the Capitalists as little as possible has more to do with letting them save up the cash to build factroys than anything else, and if your country is already very solvent, you still want to tax the socks off your plebes so they can't afford to sip lattes and discuss Marx in their free time (unless you're like me and end up fomenting a Communist revolution every game because your personal stances keep leaking into the game).

EDIT: Has Paradox released screenshots for Heart of Darkness?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 1, 2013

AnoMouse
Feb 13, 2012
That's strange, they posted a new dev diary on the forums, but appear to have deleted it. Nothing exciting, as it covered things about tech we already knew. It was a video too, an interview with cuts to game footage, someone who's name I don't remember sitting in front of a rather flat bookshelf. Can't find it on their youtube either.

They seem to have replaced it with another trailer, one completely devoid of any gameplay!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
That was Thomas, EUIV lead. And the books are wallpaper :)

Back to a proper game though, V2: Good feature or best feature?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

That was Thomas, EUIV lead. And the books are wallpaper :)

Seriously, you need to either need to start throwing in gags (ie. someone tries to pick up a book in the background and fails) or just get rid of that wallpaper. It looks terrible.

ps. Paradox feature:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
One of the books is real and if you pull on it the wall turns around, revealing the Magna Mundi idea theft lab slash dungeon.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

Seriously, you need to either need to start throwing in gags (ie. someone tries to pick up a book in the background and fails) or just get rid of that wallpaper. It looks terrible.

ps. Paradox feature:

Or, I dunno, people could not get worked up about our wallpaper? It's kinda weird.

It's just a link to a post on our forum, not sure why you can't load it, it's in a public section.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Alchenar posted:

ps. Paradox feature:

If you still can't load that page, the post's about Russia's map colour turning red if they become the Soviets.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Or, I dunno, people could not get worked up about our wallpaper? It's kinda weird.

It's because when you are selling a product that's been fashioned entirely out of the creative vision and taste of the developers it makes everyone a bit nervous that said taste includes something so very tacky.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Friend Commuter posted:

If you still can't load that page, the post's about Russia's map colour turning red if they become the Soviets.

To be clear, HOD will allow you to mod/script the map colour of a nation according to its gov't type, although Russia turning red as the Soviet Union is the only one that will supposedly come with the official package.

Come to think of it, who else could use that? I guess it'd be cool to script every nation's Communist gov't to turn red, as a kind of red-scare/domino-effect thing,

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It's because when you are selling a product that's been fashioned entirely out of the creative vision and taste of the developers it makes everyone a bit nervous that said taste includes something so very tacky.

Do you/people think the programmers decorate the office?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Come to think of it, who else could use that? I guess it'd be cool to script every nation's Communist gov't to turn red, as a kind of red-scare/domino-effect thing,

It sounds cool, but then you realise it's actually pretty hard to tell countries apart :(

It looks neat on SoI mapmode if Russia spheres eastern europe though.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 1, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Alchenar posted:

"Everyone" is a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? I mean, it seems somewhat unlikely that a lot of people are putting enough thought into the wallpaper of a trailer explaining game features that they view the interior decoration as a sign of impending creative doom. I'd personally guess that most people just find it funny, if they think about it at all. Not to mention that I dunno that there's a lot of correlation between taste in interior decoration and ability to design and program good games.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The person who picks the wallpaper is not the same person that designs the art in the game. its not that bad, it just takes on a lot of glare from the windows so whenever you take pictures there its really obvious its fake.

I think we just need to roll a smaller depth of field and it looks a bit less fake.

(ok it still looks fake, I just wanted to share my blue monkey with the world)

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be clear, HOD will allow you to mod/script the map colour of a nation according to its gov't type, although Russia turning red as the Soviet Union is the only one that will supposedly come with the official package.

I kinda made fascist germany look like mordor as well while I was at it. as for doing it everywhere, Dark is right. I will leave that to modders to judge if they want to do or not.

podcat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 1, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DrProsek posted:

The only thing tax rates directly affect is how much POPs get paid. That's it. They'll gain militancy if they can't acquire their basic needs, but high taxes don't necessarily cause that, and low taxes don't necessarily prevent that.

And like I said, POP promotion happens very slowly, and the amount of money a POP has saved up is only a small factor in the rate.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Tomn posted:

"Everyone" is a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? I mean, it seems somewhat unlikely that a lot of people are putting enough thought into the wallpaper of a trailer explaining game features that they view the interior decoration as a sign of impending creative doom. I'd personally guess that most people just find it funny, if they think about it at all. Not to mention that I dunno that there's a lot of correlation between taste in interior decoration and ability to design and program good games.

Plus our office manager isn't involved in development, PDS/PI have a bunch of people that just manage the office, work PR/admin/HR etc.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I'm still bad at ck2 even after this long. I think its mostly that i haven't really *tried* to get good at it. I'm going to read, ah was it Kersh's lp? and see whats what.

Or just play eu3 and dream of eu4. Anyone have suggestion for like a clowny game goal? I used to like doing a mare nosturm with the papal states and then trying to own all of the americas. Not so much clowny just a lot of work, goddamn.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Paradox Grand Strategy: From Swedish Kimonos to Interior Decorating

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

podcat posted:

I kinda made fascist germany look like mordor as well while I was at it. as for doing it everywhere, Dark is right. I will leave that to modders to judge if they want to do or not.
Oh yeah I wasn't implying that my every-Communist-country-turns-red idea was a suggestion for an official change, just thinking out loud for modding potential. Near-black/dark-red for Nazi Germany sounds interesting as well, though.

And while we're talking about Fascism: Since support for that ideology is generated by cores of your country belonging to someone else, which makes sense for parts of Germany that was ceded to various other nations after the Treaty of Versailles, what's the historical precedent for Italy? Which Italian "cores" belonged to someone else which lead to the rise of Mussolini, in Victoria terms?

(not directed at you specifically, podcat)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

Seriously? The wallpaper? That's what you choose to complain about?

I don't even know what to say to that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

Uh no I'm gonna get as worked up about your wallpaper as I like it's something fun to make fun of so I will make fun of it.

ps you should defo put in events about a fake library wallpaper in CK2

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Wiz posted:

Seriously? The wallpaper? That's what you choose to complain about?

I don't even know what to say to that.

See, we own him now :) Moahaha!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

And while we're talking about Fascism: Since support for that ideology is generated by cores of your country belonging to someone else, which makes sense for parts of Germany that was ceded to various other nations after the Treaty of Versailles, what's the historical precedent for Italy? Which Italian "cores" belonged to someone else which lead to the rise of Mussolini, in Victoria terms?

They claimed a few areas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RegioniIrredenteItalia.jpg

Although, to be honest Fascism from "lost cores" makes more sense for Germany than Italy, I think it was less of a factor there.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

podcat posted:

See, we own him now :) Moahaha!

... and another thing, I think the criticism of Hearts of Iron 3 and Sengoku on these forums is unwarranted and excessive...

Wait? Where am I? What's going on? Oh god, help me, I'm locked behind the fake bookcase wall in the meeting room!

Seriously though, I've been reading up on the Paradox forums lately and there's people complaining that our patches have too much free content, that we deign to make a DLC for those boring Pagans that only take up a third of the map, that the 867 start date will somehow force them to never play 1066 again... but none of those complaints are quite as absurd as obsessing over the wallpaper in one of our meeting rooms.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

gradenko_2000 posted:

(not directed at you specifically, podcat)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italia_irredenta#Fascism_and_World_War_II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutilated_victory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Regency_of_Carnaro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwB7IlDv9po

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh yeah I wasn't implying that my every-Communist-country-turns-red idea was a suggestion for an official change, just thinking out loud for modding potential. Near-black/dark-red for Nazi Germany sounds interesting as well, though.

Communist America should probably turn red too though, just for the fun of it.

Also, it IS pretty funny wallpaper, and you guys are the ones choosing to showcase it repeatedly. It's like something from a comedy sketch, with the fancy stuffed armchair and painted books. :shobon:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

Communist America should probably turn red too though, just for the fun of it.

Also, it IS pretty funny wallpaper, and you guys are the ones choosing to showcase it repeatedly. It's like something from a comedy sketch, with the fancy stuffed armchair and painted books. :shobon:

It is a funny wallpaper, the whole room is kind of cute, but saying that a silly wallpaper somehow implies something about the quality of Paradox games is... something else.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Guys, 5 months ago everyone here loved the wallpaper... can't you at least stay consistent in your criticisms of Paradox? I still thinks the wallpaper is cool. :colbert:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

It is a funny wallpaper, the whole room is kind of cute, but saying that a silly wallpaper somehow implies something about the quality of Paradox games is... something else.
Goons can accomplish anything, as long as that thing is something that should not be accomplished.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

How will Christianity be handled in The Old Gods/867 start date for CK2--will it already be informally split, as it pretty much was by then, or will something special occur in the 1050s to formally handle it?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Speaking of V2, what's the best way to intentionally engineer a communist revolution?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CK players: How lofty are your goals and how much ... stuff do you do when playing the game? I think part of my issue is that I always feel like I always need to be constantly expanding and setting up marriages and seizing titles and all that stuff, and then I get frustrated when I don't have CBs and no one wants to marry me. Maybe I should play a game where I just mostly let things happen to me and react?

Thanks for the input! Looks like I have some research to do.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

DerLeo posted:

Speaking of V2, what's the best way to intentionally engineer a communist revolution?

High Literacy, full allowance of Trade Unions and Free Press. Never pass any Social Reforms while maxing taxes on the Poor and Rich. No taxes on the Middle until you have as many in the middle as possible. Then raise the taxes to max.

The Proletariat will conquer :black101:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DrPop posted:

How will Christianity be handled in The Old Gods/867 start date for CK2--will it already be informally split, as it pretty much was by then, or will something special occur in the 1050s to formally handle it?
What I want is a schism DLC where bishop-type characters that you have that amass enough prestige/piety can try to split off their own church instead of trying to become Pope.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DrPop posted:

I think this could be really interesting. The Great Schism could happen in a number of ways from how it happened in our universe where the churches slowly drift apart and the masses don't realize anything has happened to an all-out religious civil war. A world where Christianity was even more divided during the rise of the Muslim states would be an interesting scenario to see.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

CK players: How lofty are your goals and how much ... stuff do you do when playing the game? I think part of my issue is that I always feel like I always need to be constantly expanding and setting up marriages and seizing titles and all that stuff, and then I get frustrated when I don't have CBs and no one wants to marry me. Maybe I should play a game where I just mostly let things happen to me and react?

Most of the time I start as a duke or count in a kingdom and make it my goal to scheme my way to the top title in the realm by hook or by crook. Once I get there I usually peter out somewhat. The furthest I got in terms of keeping on past getting the top title was a run as the Doux of Athens, since gaining the throne gave me a valid, self-justifiable reason to relentlessly blob as far as I could down the Levant and generally rebuild the Empire. (Left that game behind eventually because for some reason king and emperor AI in the Empire kept imprisoning and blinding people for no reason at all and racking up massive tyranny - my heirs included. Dunno if patches have fixed that since, and dunno if I can even play the save now.)

Edit: Also my basic strategy is to gradually build up my income/levy base and strike at whatever opportunities happen to come up. By and large I'm content to shepherd my lands while waiting for a chance to strike, although I do feel free to fabricate the occasional claim.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 1, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Darkrenown posted:

They claimed a few areas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RegioniIrredenteItalia.jpg

Although, to be honest Fascism from "lost cores" makes more sense for Germany than Italy, I think it was less of a factor there.

Maybe in a future expansion or patch, high war exhaustion + little to no gains during the peace treaty at the end of the war = fascists/Revanchism? I know it's not exactly why Italy went fascist but it was a big reason as I recall.

Fister Roboto posted:

The only thing tax rates directly affect is how much POPs get paid. That's it. They'll gain militancy if they can't acquire their basic needs, but high taxes don't necessarily cause that, and low taxes don't necessarily prevent that.

And like I said, POP promotion happens very slowly, and the amount of money a POP has saved up is only a small factor in the rate.

Ah okie dokie then! I'll keep my taxes as high as I can to make sure they don't revolt and then just let people promote to clergy naturally with the help of NFs. Thanks everyone who helped me with my tax problems :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Well, sure.

• Locked thread