Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Pyradox posted:

That's actually really awesome. I'd pledge to a kickstarter about a Project Mercury OS.

You should probably pledge to Wildman then. I personally don't give two shits about Wildman, but if the money allows them to keep the company together long enough to finish Mercury along with the game then thats worth my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

cydereal posted:

A while back I was on here giving a lot of details on my game's (Retrovirus) Kickstarter. We came up short, and had a crazy ride to finishing the game. The Descent community yielded the money we needed to finish the game, and today we're on Steam. Glad to have good news!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227800/
It looks really cool, congrats on your release. But isn't $20 a bit steep for an indie?

bubbabrigs
Oct 17, 2012

by T. Mascis
Wildman from Christ Taylor and GPG have updated the main video on their website - much clearer now on what their vision for the game is.
Check it out.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBDO82ZWXQ

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaspoweredgames/wildman-an-evolutionary-action-rpg

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
According to the latest update from the author, Dominique Pamplemousse is about to go into beta. I don't know why, but I'm really looking forward to this one.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

cydereal posted:

A while back I was on here giving a lot of details on my game's (Retrovirus) Kickstarter. We came up short, and had a crazy ride to finishing the game. The Descent community yielded the money we needed to finish the game, and today we're on Steam. Glad to have good news!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227800/

Congrats!

Also, if you folks were to do a DLC level pack for Sol Survivor I'd be a very happy camper.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

bubbabrigs posted:

Wildman from Christ Taylor and GPG have updated the main video on their website - much clearer now on what their vision for the game is.
Check it out.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBDO82ZWXQ

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaspoweredgames/wildman-an-evolutionary-action-rpg

I still think they need to give a clearer explanation of who the main character is and what his goals are. For example here is my take on it:

"The Wildman is the champion of a pre-historic human tribe. He goes out hunting and exploring to locate new territory for his tribe to expand to, and materials for them to use. In his explorations he sometime encounters other tribes (human or otherwise) that occupy a choice piece of land or possess some materials/technology the Wildman's tribe could use. In order to defeat this tribe so his own tribe can benefit, the Wildman needs to beat their army, and root them out of their encampment/fortress. To do this, the Wildman can rally his fellow tribesmen to the location and direct the training of warriors and their deployment in battle. Once the battle is won, the Wildman decides what spoils to take for himself and his tribe and moves on to explore the world further to advance his tribe's expansion into a nation/empire. "

Hmm, maybe I should email this to Chris, since he doesnt seem to really know how to sell this game to people.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 1, 2013

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

cydereal posted:

The Descent community yielded the money we needed to finish the game...

Sounds like a story behind that part. Any public details you could share here?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

For the people who backed the Banner Saga (and even those who didn't), they've recently put up a massive update on their website. It's well worth a read. Seems like things are going well.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Orzo posted:

It looks really cool, congrats on your release. But isn't $20 a bit steep for an indie?
I dunno, the production values look pretty good to me.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Cicero posted:

I dunno, the production values look pretty good to me.
$20 is higher than even Double Fine games go for (ie. Costume Quest / Stacking), and very little can touch their production values. $15 has been set as the standard, thus far.

... but that said, I'm really curious to see how it does at $20. There's really no good reason that $15 settled out as the standard, and I'd love to see more of a range of pricing based on quality/depth of game.

EDIT: I'm considering trying $15 instead of $10 for the next PC game I do, even though it'll be shorter. Not really convinced that $10->$15 would turn many people off, and it gives me more range for occasional sales.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 1, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chivalry seems to be doing really good at the $25 price point, and Prison Architect is selling surprisingly well on its own for $30. The market seems to be getting a little bit more flexible.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Stacking, Costume Quest, and the Cave also all provided about six hours of gameplay, where Retrovirus and Chivalry have robust online multiplayer. I think that affects price expectation a lot.

Pricing is getting strange now though. I loved Dear Esther but ten dollars for Proteus? That seems absurd.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the black husserl posted:

Stacking, Costume Quest, and the Cave also all provided about six hours of gameplay, where Retrovirus and Chivalry have robust online multiplayer. I think that affects price expectation a lot.

Pricing is getting strange now though. I loved Dear Esther but ten dollars for Proteus? That seems absurd.

Luckily the beauty of Steam you know you will be able to pick up Proteus for at least half that amount if you have the patience to wait a couple of months. Like I'm glad I played 30 flights of loving but I'd be pretty pissed if I even paid five bucks for something the length of a youtube video.

kovarex
Feb 1, 2013
Factory building game at http://www.indiegogo.com/factorio

What do you think?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

This is from before Kickstarter went big so I don't know if anyone here backed it, but Blade Symphony just released a beta to its backers. I was worried for a while because they were really quiet about the game after the kicksterter, but they have opened up recent'y and it looks like things are going fine.

Anyways, I guess I got an extra key for the beta so if anyone is interested in a sword fighting game from the guys who made Dystopia let me know.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Moon Intern just posted its first test build. I guess be warned that it really feels like a test build, and not some "last few passes before going gold" beta yet.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
That Bollywood dancing game is out on Desura, if you don't wish to wait for Steam.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Another test build from another kickstarter game: this time, Code Hero, finally! They finally have alpha build 2 out, and a long post explaining their situation.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Republique is looking pretty great (sorry for the Polygon link)

I didn't back it but I'll probably get it when it's released.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chuck Bartowski posted:

That really does look pretty impressive. I'm kind of impressed with the scene quality, for all being real-time rendered on a mobile device.

... and it was strangely satisfying to see them meeting in a small room with everyone brown-bagging it. Nice contrast, from typical AAA meetings where you see the remains of catering or brought-in food everywhere.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Red Minjo posted:

Another test build from another kickstarter game: this time, Code Hero, finally! They finally have alpha build 2 out, and a long post explaining their situation.

Let us know how it is, I wanna check it out once I have some free time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Chuck Bartowski posted:

This game looks really cool. I like the gimmick of the view being from the security cameras (and the hacking stuff looks cool too)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

CottonWolf posted:

For the people who backed the Banner Saga (and even those who didn't), they've recently put up a massive update on their website. It's well worth a read. Seems like things are going well.

Yeah that was a satisfying update, it really feels like they're doing everything right.

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥

Axegrinder posted:

Good news: Master of Orion 4!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/880221564/master-of-orion-episode-4-0

Bad news: may not actually contain Master of Orion 4.

Looks like someone's about to get a visit from Atari's lawyers!

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
Aren't Atari's lawyers busy right now?

Maybe this guy bought the name from the bankrupcy auction.

E:

In actual Kickstarter news, the game that frittered away a good part of my sophmore year in college (Hollywood Mogul) got a Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/664775277/hollywood-mogul-4-run-your-own-hollywood-movie-stu

Unfortunately, $150,000 is asking a bit much for a text-based movie studio simulator, but the second and third games were really great, and the guy is doing it by himself.

I hope it makes goal, but man...$150,000.

TheHock fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 3, 2013

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

kovarex posted:

Factory building game at http://www.indiegogo.com/factorio

What do you think?

That looks pretty interesting, actually. I like the idea of resource gathering and then using that to basically build a manufacturing empire, automating as much of the process as possible.

It's a kind of management challenge that lots of people minmax in games like minecraft (which feels like work) through engine quirks rather than the actual design.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Shalinor posted:

That really does look pretty impressive. I'm kind of impressed with the scene quality, for all being real-time rendered on a mobile device.

... and it was strangely satisfying to see them meeting in a small room with everyone brown-bagging it. Nice contrast, from typical AAA meetings where you see the remains of catering or brought-in food everywhere.

at 4:25 you can see that one of them has turned what looks like a pop-corn box into an ipad holder. Ingenuity!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...uh...is there some problem with Polygon that I am not aware of?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Overflight posted:

...uh...is there some problem with Polygon that I am not aware of?

People hate it's layout and pretentiousness.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Axegrinder posted:

Good news: Master of Orion 4!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/880221564/master-of-orion-episode-4-0

Bad news: may not actually contain Master of Orion 4.

Nothing says give me money like lovely poser models!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dean of Swing posted:

at 4:25 you can see that one of them has turned what looks like a pop-corn box into an ipad holder. Ingenuity!

Hilarious in light of all the crappy iDevice add-ons on Kickstarter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

These are in-game images from Shadowrun Returns according to VG24/7:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That looks awesome. Not many games actually get that kind of retro aesthetic/perspective right, but they nailed it. I really hope they take their time with it so the game lives up the visuals.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Does this tell the story of how all contrast was removed from the world?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
drat, that looks great.

@Yodzilla: Erm, I wouldn't take those as final graphical fidelity. Most likely a fair chunk of that is placeholder art or art without the final details pass.

It looks good even as it is now, I'm be pretty surprised if it didn't look even better later on.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Does this tell the story of how all contrast was removed from the world?

That looks pretty vibrant to me!

I get a serious StarCraft/Fallout vibe from it, which is great.

EDIT: vvvvv I see, I just misunderstood you. :)

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 4, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Didn't say it wasn't vibrant, I said there was no contrast. Everything looks super flat but whatever, yeah it's probably placeholder art.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tom Hall has launched a new Kickstarter. This time he's making a game maker, and the KS is also for a launch title made using the tool, a "spiritual successor to Keen". It looks interesting, at least.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Whoa, all this time I've been confusing Tom Hall with the muscly Jason Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Tom Hall has launched a new Kickstarter. This time he's making a game maker, and the KS is also for a launch title made using the tool, a "spiritual successor to Keen". It looks interesting, at least.
The Commander Keen games were my introduction to PC gaming. I first played the shareware version of Commander Keen 1 when I was in first or second grade.

I couldn't hit "pledge" fast enough.