Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Doh004 posted:

I would advise against a hand grinder. Unless you're going to use it to travel around places, it's just so much easier to have a regular burr grinder. Any of the ones listed in the OP are good.

I'm thinking of portability, as my current coffee setup fits in a travel pack nicely anyway (mostly, the blade grinder's the bulkiest) and I'd like to keep it that way.

Once I have more money, I'll get an electronic burr grinder for home as well! :buddy:

While I'm at it, I should get a new single-cup brewer, though that's not as necessary as my 4-year-old plastic Melitta one is still serviceable. It's just not as nice as a glass or porcelain one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
3Cups in Chapel Hill, NC USA is going out of business this coming weekend. They sell whole bean Intelligentsia coffee. It is always $1-$2 cheaper than buying direct online, and you don't have to pay shipping.

I am crying, but I've bought a couple bags of Black Cat espresso until I figure out what to do with myself.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Casull posted:

I'm thinking of portability, as my current coffee setup fits in a travel pack nicely anyway (mostly, the blade grinder's the bulkiest) and I'd like to keep it that way.

Once I have more money, I'll get an electronic burr grinder for home as well! :buddy:

While I'm at it, I should get a new single-cup brewer, though that's not as necessary as my 4-year-old plastic Melitta one is still serviceable. It's just not as nice as a glass or porcelain one.

I prefer the Mini because it has a lid. On the Skerton model if you try to grind quickly the beans go flying out the top. You also have to hold it down on a table or something while grinding. With the mini you can hold it in whatever position and grind away. I don't use my Skerton anymore.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
some beans!

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I forgot my single-cup coffeemaker today, but I had a filter, my coffee all ground up, and an addled coffee-free brain.

Then I thought to myself: What's a single-cup coffeemaker anyway? Just a cup-like container with a hole in the bottom.

I think I have a problem, guys.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Casull posted:

I think I have a problem, guys.

No, you had a problem, which you overcame admirably.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Loucks posted:

No, you had a problem, which you overcame admirably.

Your single-handed grip is very strong as well.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mandalay posted:

Your single-handed grip is very strong as well.

I think you forgot the :wink:

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I am interested in the Clever Coffee Dripper that is in the OP but it looks like the mechanism on the bottom of it would only be activated by a rather slim cup, is that correct? I like to drink my coffee out of a big honking mug, am I out of luck here?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

jet sanchEz posted:

I am interested in the Clever Coffee Dripper that is in the OP but it looks like the mechanism on the bottom of it would only be activated by a rather slim cup, is that correct? I like to drink my coffee out of a big honking mug, am I out of luck here?

Yep. It can fit standard mugs and slightly bigger, but if you're putting it in a giant mug you need to press the opening on the bottom with your hand.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

jet sanchEz posted:

I use pretty big mugs with it and it works fine. You can also offset it. The mechanism triggers across the whole bottom, so as long as it's depressed it will drain.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
According to my trusty tape measure it can accommodate mugs up to about 3-5/8" OD.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

withak posted:

According to my trusty tape measure it can accommodate mugs up to about 3-5/8" OD.

You can go a bit wider than that even. My clever is in dire need of replacement (it's got a few cracks and is overall ready for retirement) but here it is on a very wide mouthed mug (wider than the CCD itself) in two positions. Both are stable and the drain hole is over the mug opening in both.

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
Made some coffee this morning. Could have been stronger. Oh well!!!

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

...My clever is in dire need of replacement (it's got a few cracks and is overall ready for retirement)...

I've been tempted to pick up a CCD as an alternative to my Aeropress, but from reading reviews about it cracking and hearing things like this, is it really worth the $20 to buy something that seems to be of such poor quality? You would think that they would have figured out a new material, like glass or ceramic, to make these out of by now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cyborganizer posted:

I've been tempted to pick up a CCD as an alternative to my Aeropress, but from reading reviews about it cracking and hearing things like this, is it really worth the $20 to buy something that seems to be of such poor quality? You would think that they would have figured out a new material, like glass or ceramic, to make these out of by now.

I've had mine for like 4 years now and after the first or so I wasn't exactly the nicest to it. It's only 20 bux. 4 years of life for a $20 plastic thing that gets used nearly everyday is pretty good, IMO. It's outlived most people's smartphones.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've had mine for like 4 years now and after the first or so I wasn't exactly the nicest to it. It's only 20 bux. 4 years of life for a $20 plastic thing that gets used nearly everyday is pretty good, IMO. It's outlived most people's smartphones.

I get your point, I'm just a cheapass. I'll just go ahead and order one since I finally bought a burr grinder this morning after thinking about it for months because I got a good deal for it. Picked up a Capresso Infinity for $56 new (casa dot com with a 30% off coupon "CASA30"). I figure I can always upgrade later to a nicer Baratza, but the Capresso should work fine for Aeropress and CCD, right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tried the Clever Dripper for the first time today and it tastes wonderful. I was worried the 4 minute brew time would make it bitter or become cold but I didn't have any problems. I made sure to preheat everything like was suggested here. Thanks for the help guys.

It's a little easier to set up and clean than the Aeropress. I'm going to try out different brewing times, I defintely needed to try a few different ones before I was happy with my Aeropress.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 30, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cyborganizer posted:

I get your point, I'm just a cheapass. I'll just go ahead and order one since I finally bought a burr grinder this morning after thinking about it for months because I got a good deal for it. Picked up a Capresso Infinity for $56 new (casa dot com with a 30% off coupon "CASA30"). I figure I can always upgrade later to a nicer Baratza, but the Capresso should work fine for Aeropress and CCD, right?

I have the same setup and it works fine for aero press and CCD.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a little easier to set up and clean than the Aeropress. I'm going to try out different brewing times, I defintely needed to try a few different ones before I was happy with my Aeropress.

Yeah, this why the Clever is my new daily work morning coffee.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cyborganizer posted:

Bonavita was supposed to be working on a ceramic version of the clever dripper, not sure what ended up happening with it.

edit: Found it.

Haven't seen one for sale yet, though.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

a handful of dust posted:

Bonavita was supposed to be working on a ceramic version of the clever dripper, not sure what ended up happening with it.

edit: Found it.

Haven't seen one for sale yet, though.

Yeah it doesn't appear to be on the market yet. I'd definitely consider that over the CCD, but with it being made of porcelain it's probably going to be at least 2-3x the price so why not go CCD and a replacement or two for the same amount and no worries about dropping and breaking it?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
'mornin! (El Salvidor Finca Siberia Bourbon)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I just bought this beauty:

but, being used to the CCD, I'm not sure what methodology to follow here. My online roaster has this nifty guide, does this look right? 75g per liter seems like a lot :stare:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Alleric posted:

'mornin! (El Salvidor Finca Siberia Bourbon)

Nice pic - thanks. Looks tasty too.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

seravid posted:

I just bought this beauty:

but, being used to the CCD, I'm not sure what methodology to follow here. My online roaster has this nifty guide, does this look right? 75g per liter seems like a lot :stare:

Sweet Marias also has a little tip sheet on french press that I follow: http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr/brewinginstr.frenchpress.php
They suggest a little less than 52 grams for a liter.

Thanks to the links on the sales; just got my Capresso Infinity and Thermapen in the mail! Time to brew a pour over :)

le capitan fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 31, 2013

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

porktree posted:

Nice pic - thanks. Looks tasty too.

Thankee. It's a little odd to me. It's good, don't get me wrong, but there's something just kind of dull about it's cocoa presence, and then the latter half of the taste is a little too tobacco for me. Not quite as beat-you-over-the-head with the tobacco as Sumatrans usually are, but it's there. It'd prolly make a killer base with something nice and fruity/acidic riding over the top of it. Depending on what flavor profiles come out of the other test batches I have roasted up (I'll be pulling on Columbian Vereda Pedregal taken to 425F tomorrow morning), I may end up blending it. I still have 12 ounces of it unroasted in my pantry.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
How is the Starbucks Blonde Roast? I've heard its actually much better than the charcoal they usually serve, but I don't want to try it just yet

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Someone me about roasters. I'm getting decent results with my air popper, but it'd be really nice to roast more than ~80gr at a time given how much coffee we use. I'm seriously considering the Behmor 1600 since it's within my price range and seems to be of decent quality and capacity. Anyone have one? From reading the Sweet Marias review it looks perfect given that I like City to City+ roast levels.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Lazaruise posted:

How is the Starbucks Blonde Roast? I've heard its actually much better than the charcoal they usually serve, but I don't want to try it just yet

It has less of a burnt taste, but it doesnt have much of a flavor to it. Its a lot like Tims, if that helps.

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?
I can do a pound of beans at a time on my Turbo / Crazy

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

scythide posted:

I can do a pound of beans at a time on my Turbo / Crazy

no. You're limited to about 4 oz at a time in an electric air popper. This isn't so bad, actually more than most entry level roasters. If you want to do a lot at once you have to step up to the Behmor (or hack something out of a toaster oven or whatever). If you don't mind cranking, you can do a half pound at a time in a whirley.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've been using my Whirley Pop for a few weeks with a few misc beans from SM and it's very hard not to burn the poo poo out of the beans after getting the thing up to the recommended 400 degrees. I don't get that and have found I get better results at 330-350 and lower. I have a gas range so I can heat it up very quickly. The range hood is outmatched by the smoke so I usually have to run my whole house fan and open windows to not set off my smoke alarms.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 2, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

I've been using my Whirley Pop for a few weeks ago with a few misc beans from SM and it's very hard not to burn the poo poo out of the beans after getting the thing up to the recommended 400 degrees. I don't get that and have found I get better results at 330-350 and lower.

I honestly don't preheat at all...

It's a thin sheet of aluminum. It's going to respond very quickly to the external heat source compared to something like cast iron. I usually start it coldish then apply full heat (I, admittedly, have a more robust heat source than most).

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?

GrAviTy84 posted:

no. You're limited to about 4 oz at a time in an electric air popper. This isn't so bad, actually more than most entry level roasters. If you want to do a lot at once you have to step up to the Behmor (or hack something out of a toaster oven or whatever). If you don't mind cranking, you can do a half pound at a time in a whirley.

You're telling me that I don't roast a pound at a time on my Turbo/Crazy?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

scythide posted:

You're telling me that I don't roast a pound at a time on my Turbo/Crazy?

o sorry, misread, I thought you were asking. but maybe I'm not understanding, do you mean 1 lb in one go?

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?
Yeah. I can get a pound of green beans in the turbo crazy and roast them pretty well. I usually stick to half that amount but I've done it when I'm lazy. The guy was asking for options for roasting more than 80g at a time. You can put one together for a third of the cost of a Behmor

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

scythide posted:

Yeah. I can get a pound of green beans in the turbo crazy and roast them pretty well. I usually stick to half that amount but I've done it when I'm lazy. The guy was asking for options for roasting more than 80g at a time. You can put one together for a third of the cost of a Behmor

hmm. Link to the thing you have? I have a goodwillstore acquired electric popper and i definitely don't get good results when I get over 4 oz.

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?
http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

Not my site but a good intro to the turbo crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

scythide posted:

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

Not my site but a good intro to the turbo crazy

Awesome, thanks. I will add it to the OP.

Edit: One thing that worries me is the use of nonstick here and typical roasting temps ~400 F which is above the PTFE decomposition point, but I suppose if someone was going to go through the trouble of building this, they could remove the teflon surface.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 2, 2013