Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toilet Tsunami
Jan 27, 2013

Don't forget to wipe...
Hmm..

I guess we've had vastly different experiences with the software side of things. As for their customer service, they've been very accomodating but extremely slow to respond. It took them 7 days to respond to my key replacement request for my keyboard.

I too got an automated response prior to a human response though. Did your autoreply indicate they would get back to you personally? Unfortunately that may be your only option at this point. I don't understand how some of the reviews I read pre-sale about awesome customer service have been justified with the response times.

Anyways, I hope they get something to you. The hardware is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I really like the Logitech mouse I have, but the feet are wearing out. I think they're teflon or something. I noticed this morning one of them has a big scratch on it. Is there something I can get to replace the feet?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Clanpot Shake posted:

I really like the Logitech mouse I have, but the feet are wearing out. I think they're teflon or something. I noticed this morning one of them has a big scratch on it. Is there something I can get to replace the feet?
Hardware store, get a strip of teflon, stick some over the old feet. When it wears out cut another piece and replace it. I used to do this for a while when I had a pretty nice desk and didn't use a mousepad.

If that's too ghetto for you, and if the feet are actually stumbling and it's not just an aesthetic issue, mail Logitech for a replacement.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

NihilCredo posted:

Hardware store, get a strip of teflon, stick some over the old feet. When it wears out cut another piece and replace it. I used to do this for a while when I had a pretty nice desk and didn't use a mousepad.

If that's too ghetto for you, and if the feet are actually stumbling and it's not just an aesthetic issue, mail Logitech for a replacement.

Clanpot Shake posted:

With my G700 I had the same issue and there are small tabs on the teflon feet that you can slide a tiny flathead screwdriver under to remove them. Logitech sent me a new set of those free of charge, no instructions of course, but it was pretty painless. Then a month later it developed the doubleclick issue so they had to eventually replace the whole thing anyway. Logitech CS is very good, I make a point of telling them about the other logitech hardware I own and that it works flawlessly when I contact them though :)

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 29, 2013

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Getting ready to dump my last piece of equipment I got while working for Razer, an aging 2007 DeathAdder (tmtmtmtm) which served me surprisingly well for almost six years now.
When actually shelling out bucks, I've always stuck with Logitech, so I'm probably going back there, but since I want to go wireless for the first time, here's my question:

Does response time or latency (if there's a difference, not a techie) matter at all these days when looking at gaming mice? The last time I even had a discussion about wireless mice was sometime in 2005 when I had some pro-gaming-kid at a trade fair chew off my ear and telling me how "absolutely poo poo" they were because omg-CS-headshotlol or something. I had trouble believing his jibberjabber back then, and with my ping in most online games being around 20-30ms, I have trouble believing a few milliseconds matter today, but since I'm not the technical expert, I thought I'd ask.

My budget is around 60-70 Euros tops and while I really want 2 thumb-buttons and a mousewheel, I don't really think I have any fancy preferences outside of nice ergonomical and haptical characteristics.

Much obliged in advance.

/edit:
I mean, if there's a really well-rated and recommended gaming mouse with tons of bells and whistles still in that price range, I'd be okay with it, just as long as it doesn't look like I need to lock it away at night lest it haunt me in my dreams.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 1, 2013

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I've heard of problems when wireless receiver is far away from mouse (like plugged into the back of computer and behind the desk or something). Mine is plugged into monitor and no problems. If there is some lag I can't tell when playing.

gently caress cables.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Currently looking at the Logitech Performance Mouse MX, which I could grab for 55 Euros, which seems like a really good deal.
Four goddamn thumb buttons, a middle button (that isn't the mousewheel) and a really nice shape.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
The Performance MX is what I use it has been great.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Currently looking at the Logitech Performance Mouse MX, which I could grab for 55 Euros, which seems like a really good deal.
Four goddamn thumb buttons, a middle button (that isn't the mousewheel) and a really nice shape.

Just so you know, the 'middle button' isn't a usable button, it's just to toggle the scrollwheel between free/ratcheted modes.

It's nice though. I find that the thumb buttons are placed a bit too high to use for gaming since my thumb doesn't rest very close to them. Other than that it's great and tracks excellently wherever I use it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, I'm in a store checking it out as we speak. It seems relatively nice, except my thumb is too loving huge for the...uh, 'thumbrest' (i guess) and it feels really awkward.
On the other hand, I'm trying out a g700, which feels beautiful, but has this horribly-responding set of four comedy buttons right above my thumb.

This is a hard Goddamn decision and i have to make it within 2 hours if i want to get in on the 55-buck MX deal.
Damnit.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If you have a huge hand just join the G500 club. It's not wireless, though. If you want wireless and huge, you'll have to eBay a discontinued MX1100.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If something feels weird on your finger with a mouse, that is all you're ever going to feel. I'd probably give it a pass.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Philthy posted:

If something feels weird on your finger with a mouse, that is all you're ever going to feel. I'd probably give it a pass.

Ridiculous statement. People get used to things, unless you're stubborn, in which case nobody should be listening to you for advice anyways.

Those four buttons on the g700 felt really weird for me too initially. They seemed placed a little too high up on the mouse. I came from an MS Intellimouse with the forward/back buttons on each side of the mouse. I got used to the g700 buttons, though, and haven't thought about it since. I'm glad those buttons are where they are now, my thumb has a nice 'bucket' shape to grab onto when picking up the mouse. If they're where I thought they should have been I wouldn't be able to pick it up without hitting them.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Started using a Kensington trackball with scroll wheel for the past four hours and it is the best thing ever! Why did it take me so long to try a trackball?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Zigmidge posted:

Ridiculous statement. People get used to things, unless you're stubborn, in which case nobody should be listening to you for advice anyways.

Sorry, this is an ergonomics issue, you never get "used" to things like this. Do you keep shoes that were too big or small? No. This is no different. If the mouse feels weird, return it and find something that fits. He said his thumb is too big for the rest, you don't get used to that.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 1, 2013

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Philthy posted:

Sorry, this is an ergonomics issue, you never get "used" to things like this. Do you keep shoes that were too big or small? No. This is no different. If the mouse feels weird, return it and find something that fits. He said his thumb is too big for the rest, you don't get used to that.

I have to agree. Switching over to something new, like a Nostromo or Logitech G13, sure, there will be a transitional period where you warm up to it. Mechanical keyboards are another good example. I used to hate big keys and demanded laptop-style thin keyboards. After putting up with a mechanical for a week or two, I'll never go back.

An uncomfortable mouse isn't going to magically change after a while. I tried to warm up to the G700's side buttons for 2 months before I gave up and sold it.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
For those of you who dislike G700's thumb buttons, were they uncomfortable because of their position/location or their physical shape?

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Goo posted:

For those of you who dislike G700's thumb buttons, were they uncomfortable because of their position/location or their physical shape?

They were sharp, were slightly higher than I wanted, and had really weird button press to them. It also ate batteries in a couple hours (on high dpi), so it might as well have been corded. It was a well-built mouse, but I just wasn't wild about the shape, side buttons or battery life.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Does anyone use a g600? Been thinking of picking one up, but not sure if I'll like it. I've been using a g5 for the past forever.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Does anyone use a g600? Been thinking of picking one up, but not sure if I'll like it. I've been using a g5 for the past forever.

I got one after my Naga failed, and so far I'm liking it. The only thing that took getting used to is the curvature of the numpad - the fore and rear groups of 6 buttons form two "pockets" that make it easier to tell which half your thumb is in.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Goo posted:

Goo how come I can buy replacement G500 feet from the Logitech site but not G400 feet? :(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I miss my MX1000 so bad, I had the wireless receiver plugged into the side of my laptop and my wife accidentally knocked it over and it snapped the wireless receiver in half :( . I got it as an "open box" item and I loved it every day I had it. I currently use a Razer Naga, and while it's fun I don't use the side buttons to the full advantage that I could.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Goo posted:

For me, both.

I'd rather have DeathAdder-style buttons where your thumb already rests over them in a relaxed grip on the mouse. The bottom two buttons on the G700 can be activated by kinda tilting your thumb upwards since they're pointing outwards so far, but it doesn't really feel right and you still need to have your thumb hover over all four to activate the upper two.

Anyway, I ordered the performance MX for 55 bucks with free shipping, so I'm gonna try it out for a few days and if we end up having irreconcilable differences, I'll just return it free of charge, no harm done. I'm also getting the impression that I won't find wireless happiness with my preferences, so I'm eyeballing some cord-based models, probably the G500 since that just seems to be an upgraded G5, which I used while working for Razer (because stick it to the man) and, along with the DeathAdder, is still my favorite ergonomical design.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Anyone have any hands on experience with the new razer ourobouros yet?

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Just got a Roccat Kova+ to replace my aging G5 and am pretty happy with it. Only complaint I have is that the mouse is a little small compared to my old G5.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Trisk posted:

Goo how come I can buy replacement G500 feet from the Logitech site but not G400 feet? :(

I don't know. You're supposed to be able to, as it was one of the requirements I specced for the G400 originally. I'll look into it Monday.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Anyone have any hands on experience with the new razer ourobouros yet?

I did earlier and from my perspective, there's not a reason in the world to buy it outside of "I need to have the most futuristic-looking mouse to show off", especially not for that kind of top-dollar.

The main buttons are really nice and responsive, the docking station is pretty solid and the whole thing looks really nifty in general.
The other buttons, however, have a weird feedback, there seems to be a miniscule difference in the alignment of the glidepads in the base and those in the, uh...batwings you can clip on to the sides. I could adjust the palmrest to a height where it mad the whole thing actually feel comfortable in my hand, but then the ball of my hand was almost entirely off the surface and precision movements went out the window.
People with smaller hands might not have that problem, but for a mouse with full customizability as a main feature, this is a massive letdown, as I could just as well get a mouse that I know fits into my hand nicely. Because if someone thinks they're gonna constantly adjust the height, length and switch around the side-modules depending on whatever they're doing at any given point, they're kidding themselves. You adjust the thing to fit your hand and feel comfortable once, then you never touch the feature again.

Add to that the fact that they apparently still haven't ironed out the software bugs and you have an overpriced, YMMV-product.

As a rule of thumb, I'd stay well clear of newly released, overpriced Razer products until they've had the chance to a)prove themselves b)have their bugs ironed out c)yield other-than-abysmal RMA-rates d)drop in price a little.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tell me this isn't normal and that the mousewheel is normally exactly centered as opposed to being aligned slightly to the left and that pushing it to the right shouldn't require twice as much force as pushing it to the left?

And now Setpoint refuses to recognize it. Ugh.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 2, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The wheel alignment is correct, it's supposed to be vertical relative to the desk, which comes off as slightly left-leaning compared to the buttons (which lean right).

The tilt activation force isn't, though: I can't tell the difference between each direction. I control the wheel with my index though; maybe, if you're using your middle finger, you're placing it on the right edge, which makes "pulling" further to the right awkward?

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
If anything, the force tilting right should be less. Contact Support and they may replace it for you.

The current version of SetPoint removed support for G500 so that it could be transitioned over to the configuration software used by the G-Series keyboards and headsets. You might want to try downloading LGS 8.4.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
My Razer Copperhead is finally dying (holy poo poo I have had this thing forever) and I am looking for a new mouse.. still play FPS and mmos and Dota 2.. what is the go to mouse these days?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What mouse is currently most like the old MS intellimouse Explorer, the one with red bottom? I tried the new MS stuff, which wasn't the same. G500 is not right either.

The Habu was a great mouse, that had double clicking issues.

Femur fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 4, 2013

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

Femur posted:

What mouse is currently most like the old MS intellimouse Explorer, the one with red bottom? I tried the new MS stuff, which wasn't the same. G500 is not right either.

The Habu was a great mouse, that had double clicking issues.

This one looks pretty close, but I've never personally used it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249086

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The Zowie AM or Zowie EC1 look like they're pretty much exact replicas of the Microsoft AC 1.1 and 3.0 respectively, so you could try them as options too.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Thanks, I'll see if I can find it.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

I picked up the Logitech G600 MMO mouse because it was on sale for $35. Is it just me, or is this mouse hilariously bad? Weird shape, nearly impossible to press any of the side buttons, and a zillion misclicks on the top buttons. The side buttons are so stiff that the pressure required almost forces you to click the 3rd top mouse button. Oh well, back to my Naos 5000.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
It's not just you, but there are a great many people who are happy with it. Whether a mouse shapes works for an individual is highly dependent upon that individual. We try to make them work for as many people as possible, but it's not possible for everyone to be happy with every mouse. In the case of G600 specifically, it's a very different usage model than most people are used to. As a NAOS 5000 user I'm guessing you're more of a palm-grip user, and the G600 works better if you're controlling it with your thumb and small finger only.

What I'd like to know is where you bought it for $35, because I need to talk to that account manager. There's no good reason for that product to be >50% off.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

Goo posted:

It's not just you, but there are a great many people who are happy with it. Whether a mouse shapes works for an individual is highly dependent upon that individual. We try to make them work for as many people as possible, but it's not possible for everyone to be happy with every mouse. In the case of G600 specifically, it's a very different usage model than most people are used to. As a NAOS 5000 user I'm guessing you're more of a palm-grip user, and the G600 works better if you're controlling it with your thumb and small finger only.

What I'd like to know is where you bought it for $35, because I need to talk to that account manager. There's no good reason for that product to be >50% off.

Newegg, but it was refurbished. It came in a plastic bag with nothing else.

As far as grip, I'm a bit of both. I palm grip for desktop stuff but end up a little more claw-y when gaming. I use a Logitech G500 at work and a Naos 5000 at home. I really like both.

The G600 side button shape makes them difficult to locate, and the pressure required forces you to plant your pinky on the mouse pad to brace the mouse from moving. Compare with the pressure required to press the side buttons on the G500, for example. The G600 would have you wiggling the mouse all over the place while trying to use the buttons, so I can't imagine the G600 is usable in any serious gaming situation where you need mouse control. The third mouse button presses are mostly my fault, because I'm not used to having a button there.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Refurbished makes more sense. I was going to go nuts on someone for authorizing a discount that deep.

The force profile on the G600 thumb buttons was tuned to where we found the best balance between maintaining control of the cursor and being able to actually click the buttons when you need to. It's possible that some got manufactured out of spec but we did a lot of testing to find the sweet spot. It's not really designed to be primarily used for twitch/FPS games, but rather to perform well and be highly programmable for MMOs. And again, it's a matter of personal preference a lot of the time - so it's not surprising to me when it doesn't work out for people.

The ring finger button has been a point of contention the entire time the product was in development, and in some ways it probably would have been better had I not insisted it be there. I really believe in its utility, though, so I left it in. It was a pretty significant engineering challenge to get it to where most people were happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

Yeah, that all makes sense. I know Logitech doesn't just send untested mice out the door. I'll be giving it another shot this weekend with GW2, so maybe I'll warm up to it. It's also possible it just isn't for me, since input devices are pretty subjective for the most part.