Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm certain that Monobear really has hijacked Monomi's operation. Junko Enoshima's/Monobear's plan relied on the Hope's Peak students not realising that they were friends so that they would kill each other. And if the Jabberwock students have already befriended each other or simply known each other for years before the events of Super Dangan Ronpa 2, the New Monobear wouldn't want them know that, since they could hesitate in killing each other. So unless Monobear is able to really twist the truth or turn them against each other, I don't think the Jabberwock students are really old friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

orenronen posted:

Yes -- "what t'heck?" has become the standard way of translating "nan de yo nen?" - the most cliche of cliched Manzai lines, often delivered together with the head slap. It appears in enough Japanese media that I figured people who knew it would recognize it for what it is, and people who didn't wouldn't miss much.

Speaking of Manzai - it appears in one other game that got popular recently: the comedy bit around the mid-game of Ni no Kuni is a classic-style Manzai act. Much more classic than the one that appears here. I'm not sure how it was localized, but in Japanese it's performed by a real-life Manzai duo, in a very thick Osakan accent.

The localized Ni no Kuni bit is about starting the world's worst weapon shop. The characters are even more Welsh than Mr. Drippy, which is no small feat.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waffleman_ posted:

You know, seeing Monobear in that suit reminds me of another currently running LP...

Look, it's my serial killer's badge!

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

orenronen posted:

Let him say what's on his mind... just a little longer.

I was concerned at first that Togami might want to let Kuzuryuu speak so suspicion would fall on Kuzuryuu if Togami committed a murder. I was quite relieved to realise, when he cut in to bring up the possibility of execution, that he was just letting him talk so he could go 'well, you're making yourself look very suspicious, aren't you?' and thereby prevent Kuzuryuu from actually killing anyone. Probably.

I'm surprised by how much faith I have in Togami. I suppose he made it clear in the first game that he's prepared to openly say 'I'm going to kill one of you and win the game' if that's what he's planning, so I'm prepared to take everything he says now at face value. If he commits murder, I'll be very surprised.

Mahiru was pretty great in this update. Her obsession with gender roles in previous exchanges was getting a bit wearing, but I love that she refuses to be intimidated.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Togami For Class President 20XX.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 2, 2013

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

orenronen posted:

Yes -- "what t'heck?" has become the standard way of translating "nan de yo nen?" - the most cliche of cliched Manzai lines, often delivered together with the head slap. It appears in enough Japanese media that I figured people who knew it would recognize it for what it is, and people who didn't wouldn't miss much.
Even if you're not terribly fmiliar with manzai, Monomi saying "what t'heck" is a little jarring because that's not how she speaks at all.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The memory stealing would be a little more shocking if that wasn't already pretty obvious by now. No one remembered how they got to the classroom, then suddenly she shows up and transports them to an island.

I'm still not sure about Togami, but I think this convinced me more that he's the one from the first game and not some other person. It fits right with his development at the end of the game, assuming DR2 takes place after the end of the first. Kuzuryuu unsurprisingly is willing to kill anyone he needs to. It makes me wonder why Hope Peak Academy even let him into the school. Super High School Level or not, he's still a gangster who grew up in a world of death and bloodshed. Even Mondo, who was a biker gang leader, never talked about wanting to murder people and seemed like a genuinely good guy who just badly hosed up.

...Then again it is an anime styled game and really anything goes when you factor that in. The logic of this setting can be pretty baffling :v:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Happy Landfill posted:

Even if you're not terribly fmiliar with manzai, Monomi saying "what t'heck" is a little jarring because that's not how she speaks at all.

This is what I was getting at originally, how her speech pattern changed, almost as if her controller, because she is obviously being controlled by someone, slipped out of character for a moment.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

lotus circle posted:

The memory stealing would be a little more shocking if that wasn't already pretty obvious by now. No one remembered how they got to the classroom, then suddenly she shows up and transports them to an island.
I think the shocking part is supposed to be that it was Monomi and not Monobear that took their memories. Though, that's pretty obvious too.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Conro101 posted:

I think the shocking part is supposed to be that it was Monomi and not Monobear that took their memories. Though, that's pretty obvious too.

Shocking if you buy into the "Monobear and Monomi aren't working together" thing.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Gensuki posted:

Shocking if you buy into the "Monobear and Monomi aren't working together" thing.
Well, as Usami she was the one who brought them to the island. If they weren't working together she'd still be the one to wipe the memory, it just is a little extreme for her character.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

lotus circle posted:

I think it was implied something ELSE was wiped

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

RefinedUndefined posted:

This is what I was getting at originally, how her speech pattern changed, almost as if her controller, because she is obviously being controlled by someone, slipped out of character for a moment.

She sounds like she's from Yorkshire.
Just waiting for her to whine about that tuppin' Monobear now.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Personally, the bit I'm most surprised by is Owari's reaction to Kuzuryuu. That's a worrisome reaction, isn't it? If Togami wasn't here to defuse the situation, she'd have thrown down right there.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Yeah, I think Monomi being behind the cast losing their memories surprises exactly no-one. The surprising thing is that they've dropped this one on the board so early.

Okay, I'm going put forward some of my personal theory, since this update only provided more fuel for it and no contradictions: Togami is the "original" mastermind, i.e. the one behind Monomi and the one who kidnapped the cast, deleted their memories, and was trying to force them to become friends and such. This accounts for all the little contradictions in his behavior; i.e. he behaves like he remembers more than he's saying, but he seems to want to protect the group and feels responsible for them and his foremost concern is diffusing murderous intentions, but he seems like he's hiding a considerable amount from them at the same time, and he shouldn't even be around as a student considering the events of DR1. That he seems to directly remember being a "I'm going to kill you all and I don't even give a poo poo" shithead in this latest update is more evidence he remembers DR1 and is hiding it.

To extend on all this: If this is after DR1, then essentially the whole world has given into despair with Togami being one of the few exceptions. And of the survivors from DR1, he's the financial genius, he's the one capable of gathering up huge amounts resources and executing large-scale operations. (Remember that in the last trial of DR1, when you shout at him not to lose hope, he gets cocky he can rebuild his empire even in apocalyptic Monoworld conditions). Living in Monoworld, being one of the few people on the "hope" side of things, what's he going to do? Try to reintroduce "hope" to Monoworld people maybe, get things right back how they were. And that would explain the memory deletions: remove the memory of Monoworld and of giving into total despair, work from there. That Monobear now wants this group to realize they've been mind-wiped points to this; he wants everyone to despair and these people aren't because they can't remember any reasons to despair.

In fact, I think Togami is controlling Monomi. One of the weirdest things I noticed in reviewing the updates is how little Togami talks whenever Usami/Monomi is around. It's especially conspicuous in this latest update. He's usually the single most wordy character; I thought it weird how he doesn't try to get information out of Momomi or Monobear that much. Ventriloquism or something?

edit: I guess we'll see how some of this plays out within like, one update. If Monobear goes into great detail about mind-wiping, we may get a more or less definitive statement of whether Togami remembers anything from before.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 2, 2013

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Falls Down Stairs posted:

In fact, I think Togami is controlling Monomi. One of the weirdest things I noticed in reviewing the updates is how little Togami talks whenever Usami/Monomi is around. It's especially conspicuous in this latest update. He's usually the single most wordy character; I thought it weird how he doesn't try to get information out of Momomi or Monobear that much. Ventriloquism or something?

Togami, controlling Monomi? The reason he doesn't speak when Monomi is around is clearly because he doesn't want the controller to screw up. Then again, what can you expect, the controller is obviously Hagakure, at least that's what I think. Assuming you're right about Togami being behind the original 'field trip'.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Now I really want to pan back and forth across the courtroom to see the two halves of Monobear objecting to each other. The light side already has Phoenix's suit, so the evil side could be Manfred von Kuma.

Getting back to the story, I wonder if Mahiru is the SHSL photographer in a journalism sense. Before with her having such a bad reaction to Togami declaring himself leader, and now with her getting directly in the hostile gangster's face, it's like she wants to question the powerful figures and try and hold them accountable or something. Her backing of Sonia the literal royal figure seems weird then, but not when you consider her hangups about gender roles. She may associate men with abuse of power and privilege, so she'd want to back the most natural choice for a female leader. This is half speculation and half wishful thinking, since it would let me see her embarrassing "aren't you ashamed as a man?" comments as more nuanced with a sarcastic intent.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Personally, the bit I'm most surprised by is Owari's reaction to Kuzuryuu. That's a worrisome reaction, isn't it? If Togami wasn't here to defuse the situation, she'd have thrown down right there.

Besides the near-confirmation of my statement that this Togami is our Togami, this is what stood out to me the most in the update.

Owari is a dangerous player in this game. I didn't think about it before, but I should have. It's been stated that she's careless and somewhat self-absorbed, in that she won't do something unless she feels like it on a whim. She doesn't care about rules and she doesn't care what others think of her. She is unpredictable and therefore scary when it comes to a murder game.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It seems like Togami's actions are wholly there to trick people who want it to be the same person from DR1. I dunno, it just seems overly convenient at this point for it to be the person people are expecting.

(Great update as always, orenronen.)

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Waffleman_ posted:

You know, seeing Monobear in that suit reminds me of another currently running LP...

Two can play that game. :v:

OBJECTION! Why aren't any of you killing each other yet?!

sorry the colors are kind of flat

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Tesseraction posted:

It seems like Togami's actions are wholly there to trick people who want it to be the same person from DR1. I dunno, it just seems overly convenient at this point for it to be the person people are expecting.

(Great update as always, orenronen.)

I dunno, man. "Fat Togami is Classic Togami" raises so many questions, like why the hell he's even a part of this group, didn't he lose his fortune in DR1, etc. that I wouldn't really call it "convenient" at all. The only reason I've bought into it at this point is thinking about all the difficulties come up if you assume the opposite.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

melodicwaffle posted:

Don't apologize, this is awesome :allears:

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Now I really want to pan back and forth across the courtroom to see the two halves of Monobear objecting to each other. The light side already has Phoenix's suit, so the evil side could be Manfred von Kuma.

:effort:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Somehow the light Monobear is far more terrifying than the dark one. :gonk:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I was so preoccupied with thinking about the latestplot developments that I completely forgot for a second that this happened:

orenronen posted:

But I am no average person. I am Byakuya Togami. And I can make it happen!

Kupiiii! This is so cool Ibuki’s going numb!!

Hoh hoh! I am in complete agreement!

Hanamura's going all nosebleed sprite over Togami now? :stonk:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bifauxnen posted:

I was so preoccupied with thinking about the latestplot developments that I completely forgot for a second that this happened:

Why wouldn't he? His mind is open and his interests are wide.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

melodicwaffle posted:

Somehow the light Monobear is far more terrifying than the dark one. :gonk:

Those eyes, those empty, soulless eyes... Drawing me into a dark, endless void from which there is no escape, falling further and further... :aaaaa:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bifauxnen posted:

There was always a lot to love about Togami. Now there's much more!

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

melodicwaffle posted:

Man, I couldn't help it either. Gosh darn it.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Haha, holy poo poo. This is the best string of fanart I've seen on top of an already fantastic update. :allears:

It's a pretty obvious connection to make to the outfit, isn't it? I did the same thing when I first saw it. Is a blue jacket with a red tie something you would normally see in Manzai and the resemblance to our beloved ace attorney is purely coincidental, or might Spike have gone out of their way to invoke it?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Some day, HelloWinter, we will find something you cannot do.

But not today.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Fedule posted:

Some day, HelloWinter, we will find something you cannot do.

But not today.

And on that day, some amongst us will weep. Besides that, nice touch on Monobear's cardboard hair spikes, HelloWinter.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

HelloWinter posted:

Man, I couldn't help it either. Gosh darn it.

This is glorious. I love how Monobear has cardboard hair.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh my god you tied Monomi's ears together to look like Maya's hair that's awesome :allears:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

It took me a second to figure out what the cardboard was, but when I did, I utterly lost it. :allears: Monomi's expression is perfect.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Would those two guys in the kimonos with the weird wigs on MXC be considered a manzai? I remember the blue one always having a straight face and smacking the red one a lot.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I swear I'm not jumping on the bandwagon! I was just way too slow.

This is one of those pictures that I'm certain some Japanese guy has already drawn way better than I have.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's nice to see good things coming out of the thread for once.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tiistai posted:

I swear I'm not jumping on the bandwagon! I was just way too slow.

This is one of those pictures that I'm certain some Japanese guy has already drawn way better than I have.

That's pretty great! But why did you choose Nagito as the judge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

That's pretty great! But why did you choose Nagito as the judge?

Possibly because he's easily intimidated or something along those lines.

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 3, 2013

• Locked thread