Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

HenessyHero posted:

After finally beating this game with my split-screen buddy I can safely say Agent Hunk is integrated seamlessly and he's absolutely critical to Ada's storyline. Without him, Ada's just constantly narrating to herself and Hunk's presence resolves this. Hunk's rapid, seemingly inexplicable warping would've explained itself if Capcom had gotten the rights to the Star Trek Teleporter noise & animation in time for release.

Poor Hunk doesn't get to talk after his team's shameful performance in ORC :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Policenaut posted:

Poor Hunk doesn't get to talk after his team's shameful performance in ORC :smith:

That team nearly put Umbrella out of business during the ten hours they were rogue. Go gently caress yourself. :colbert:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

That team nearly put Umbrella out of business during the ten hours they were rogue. Go gently caress yourself. :colbert:

Team Wolfpack required six people to kill a single lightly armed police officer. They needed US Army assistance to bring down a single Nemesis when an unarmored woman in a haltertop and a fodder UBCS grunt manage to do so repeatedly. When Birkin started wrecking poo poo, Hunk just tells them to get the gently caress out and secures the sample himself.

Wolfpack gets clowned on for the entirety of ORC and the only reason Umbrella even paid them any attention after they burn noticed them was when they put a dent in their BOW investment. Either Hunk is just so insanely competent that he makes everyone else look awful, or all of Umbrella really is just a slipshod organization. I think it's both.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Are there seriously only 3 non-DLC Mercenaries maps available? Because if so, oh man, I have got to stop buying games from Capcom. This is like the fourth time they've sent me on this merry-go-round.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Are there seriously only 3 non-DLC Mercenaries maps available? Because if so, oh man, I have got to stop buying games from Capcom. This is like the fourth time they've sent me on this merry-go-round.

Well the DLC is a dollar so its not so bad.

Problem is its all J'avo enemies sans the Catacombs map so its not worth it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alteisen posted:

Problem is its all J'avo enemies sans the Catacombs map so its not worth it.

Why do you have such a hard time shooting the J'Avo in the face and meleeing them exactly like the main enemies in the last two games? It's really easy.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have a hard time shooting them, I just think they're poo poo and hate fighting them.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I don't have a hard time shooting them, I just think they're poo poo and hate fighting them.

Yeah, you've said that a bunch of times, but can I ask why? I don't get the problem.

Slark
Nov 29, 2012

Fast as Wind
Silent as Forest
Ferocious as Fire
Immovable as Mountain

codenameFANGIO posted:

Imagine Leon just exploding cars left and right, just a total car apocalypse.

How Leon landed in China is also another apocalypse too, and the drat thing which made me mad is that he survived that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah, you've said that a bunch of times, but can I ask why? I don't get the problem.

Same here, I'd like to know. I honestly hate zombies due to the amount of QTEs involved, personally.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

codenameFANGIO posted:

My guess is that they're really not much more than guys with guns. If I wanted to fight enemies from Uncharted, I would be playing Uncharted, not Resident Evil.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oxxidation posted:

What pisses me off the most is that I wouldn't have too much of a problem buying a couple of maps, but since they're DLC, it means they won't be as populated as, say... Urban Chaos.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

J'avo can potentially turn into wall-crawling spider-men that shoot Uzis at you, or a man with giant worms for a head that runs in circles flailing his arms wildly. J'avo own.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Krad posted:

What pisses me off the most is that I wouldn't have too much of a problem buying a couple of maps, but since they're DLC, it means they won't be as populated as, say... Urban Chaos.

I'm pretty sure I've never encountered a multiplayer game in any other level than Urban Chaos. It's kind of annoying.

Crowetron posted:

J'avo can potentially turn into wall-crawling spider-men that shoot Uzis at you, or a man with giant worms for a head that runs in circles flailing his arms wildly. J'avo own.

Or a maggot man that explodes or a man whose head is an entire bee that shoots poison gas at you! They're fun! Except when they have rocket launchers, because then they're infuriating :mad:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Helena is Mercenaries is terrible, holy poo poo. Who gives someone three weapons and then only provides ammo for one of them? What is the point?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Oxxidation posted:

Helena is Mercenaries is terrible, holy poo poo. Who gives someone three weapons and then only provides ammo for one of them? What is the point?

The point is that the other two weapons besides the Picador are hand cannons, the tilt-a-whirl slam kills one zombie and scores a long knockdown on any zombies you hit while Helena's spinning, and Helena's elbow drop is the fastest kill move in the game. If you're not playing Helena like she's a pro wrestler, you're doing it wrong.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 4, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The point is that the other two weapons besides the Picador are hand cannons, the tilt-a-whirl slam kills one zombie and scores a long knockdown on any zombies you hit while Helena's spinning, and Helena's elbow drop is the fastest kill move in the game. If you're not playing Helena like she's a pro wrestler, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, but that applies to every character. Melee in the morning/evening/suppertime and high explosives when the mobs get too thick. Quick Shot melee when the enemy's packing a melee weapon or is a dog, conventional headshot melee otherwise. Apparently RE5's Mercenaries mixed it up a little? I dunno, never played it.

Helena lacks decent ordinance, which at least puts her way behind Leon (the only other character I've used so far). The Hydra is flipping terrible even if I use Quick Shot to reload and the grenade launcher, at least, isn't too hot against zombies.

I've only gone through Urban Chaos but it felt like a worse map by far than anything in RE4. You run through the side shops to break the crystals and scoop up the items and then do all your fighting in the central area, since the sides are too cramped to duck into. Also the body-armor zombies at around kill 50 spawn on the opposite drat end of the map every time and make me lose my combo and it is just crazy frustrating.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The Hydra is used to blow out the fat zombies' knees and set them up for the dropkick. The grenade launcher's acid rounds do good area-of-effect damage and score a stun on Bloodshots, which also sets them up for the dropkick.

One of the things about RE6's general style is that the big guns like the Lightning Hawk aren't there as a high-damage option for the specialized zombies, because you target weak points on those and can get the job done with pretty much anything, or with grenades. They're there to quickly bring down a distant target in order to keep the combo running, or to get yourself out of a jam.

What I like to do on Urban Chaos is drop a couple of the remote bombs up on the top of the stairs and detonate them when the body-armor zombies spawn. If you place one just right, the explosion tags the barrel up there and just sweeps the whole area clean.

RE6's general rhythm is just different, and it takes some getting used to, much like the rest of the game.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

codenameFANGIO posted:

The same reason he's apparently still playing a game he hates 3 months after release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The Hydra is used to blow out the fat zombies' knees and set them up for the dropkick. The grenade launcher's acid rounds do good area-of-effect damage and score a stun on Bloodshots, which also sets them up for the dropkick.

One of the things about RE6's general style is that the big guns like the Lightning Hawk aren't there as a high-damage option for the specialized zombies, because you target weak points on those and can get the job done with pretty much anything, or with grenades. They're there to quickly bring down a distant target in order to keep the combo running, or to get yourself out of a jam.

What I like to do on Urban Chaos is drop a couple of the remote bombs up on the top of the stairs and detonate them when the body-armor zombies spawn. If you place one just right, the explosion tags the barrel up there and just sweeps the whole area clean.

RE6's general rhythm is just different, and it takes some getting used to, much like the rest of the game.

Yeah, trying to play RE6 Mercenaries like RE5 is just kind of an exercise in frustration. You really have to think about weapons in a different way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Based on reading posts in other threads I just assume he's bad at games but blames the game for his faults.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

Based on reading posts in other threads I just assume he's bad at games but blames the game for his faults.

To be fair, RE6 is absolutely one of those games where, if you get hosed up, it is probably the game's fault. Oh sure just run me over with an unseen train two or three times, thanks bunches

Is there much of a point to the slide maneuver? Mostly it just seems to rob me of maneuverability for a few seconds.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oxxidation posted:

Is there much of a point to the slide maneuver? Mostly it just seems to rob me of maneuverability for a few seconds.

For the male characters, it's a better alternative than the shoulder charge, the range for that move sucks. On the other hand, nothing is more satisfying than fly kicking every single thing that moves until your stamina runs out with the female cast. :allears:

Except for Ada. She is just a horrible character all around.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

For the male characters, it's a better alternative than the shoulder charge, the range for that move sucks. On the other hand, nothing is more satisfying than fly kicking every single thing that moves until your stamina runs out with the female cast. :allears:

Except for Ada. She is just a horrible character all around.

Oh, drat it. Ada was the worst in RE4's Mercenaries too, what's the matter with her this time?

Also this is a minor nitpick but her features are a lot less angular in this game, and that bugs me. Makes her look teenaged.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
In RE5's mercenaries I would play as Chris and discard every gun except the shotgun.

Everyone was dead. Everyone.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, trying to play RE6 Mercenaries like RE5 is just kind of an exercise in frustration. You really have to think about weapons in a different way.

I thought Resident Evil 5 was a bit worse because if I can remember correctly, you had to constantly move around the level to activate other enemy spawn points while in this, I think certain enemies only spawn from certain places.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oxxidation posted:

Oh, drat it. Ada was the worst in RE4's Mercenaries too, what's the matter with her this time?

Her loadout is the worst. Her handgun takes longer than anyone else's to reload and her alternate gun is the bowgun, aka the most useless weapon in the whole game. Aside from that, her melee attacks also seem to take longer to execute when compared to everyone else's. She is just no Sherry/Helena, really.

And I have no idea how Carla plays but I assume it's the same.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

Her loadout is the worst. Her handgun takes longer than anyone else's to reload and her alternate gun is the bowgun, aka the most useless weapon in the whole game. Aside from that, her melee attacks also seem to take longer to execute when compared to everyone else's. She is just no Sherry/Helena, really.

Carla packs Helena's pistol and a grenade launcher with about 20 rounds total scattered across all three types, so I'd say she gets the better deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I thought Resident Evil 5 was a bit worse because if I can remember correctly, you had to constantly move around the level to activate other enemy spawn points while in this, I think certain enemies only spawn from certain places.

That happens here too, it's just better set up so you don't notice it as often.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Krad posted:

It was one of the biggest mercenaries disappointments for me when I booted up the first time with Ada and had the quick shot damage upgrade, thinking I'd be able to one shot tons of zombies with her bowgun. The groan I let out when it didn't one shot zombies was only equal to the groan I made my first time climbing that elevator in Leon's campaign.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-6-is-officially-a-failure-243965.phtml

Not to surprised given how quiet Capcom's been on their numbers, DmC is apparently a huge failure as well.

Question is, will Capcom learn from this? Maybe try to stop pleasing everyone?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

Not to surprised given how quiet Capcom's been on their numbers, DmC is apparently a huge failure as well.

I really don't know what to say if they think 5 million in sales is a failure. Those are all very good sales numbers indeed.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I really don't know what to say if they think 5 million in sales is a failure. Those are all very good sales numbers indeed.

Capcom is quite obsessed with huge numbers.

Also it puts it below RE5 as well, maybe that's why they consider it a failure.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Jesus, how do you people actually read Jim Sterling's prose and not succumb to the totally awesome allure of suicide?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

blackguy32 posted:

But they probably poured more money in and needed more than 5 million copies to recover and make a significant profit on what is supposedly their flagship series.

EA said the same thing about Dead Space 3. That game needs to push 5 million copies just to get EA to support a Dead Space 4.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

At least we got the new guy to admit that hey maybe focusing on the action and shooting in RE isn't exactly the best idea. Baby steps, Capcom. Baby steps.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ineffiable posted:

But they probably poured more money in and needed more than 5 million copies to recover and make a significant profit on what is supposedly their flagship series.

EA said the same thing about Dead Space 3. That game needs to push 5 million copies just to get EA to support a Dead Space 4.

Which is never going to happen so RIP Dead Space.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Policenaut posted:

At least we got the new guy to admit that hey maybe focusing on the action and shooting in RE isn't exactly the best idea. Baby steps, Capcom. Baby steps.

Capcom needs to stop focusing on the shooting and make RE into a beat 'em up game where you punch zombies and do wrestling moves, because ever since RE4 that's where the strength of the series has been.

EDIT: Also who the gently caress seriously reads anything written by Sterling? He's worse than Kotaku in terms of anything.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Policenaut posted:

Maybe RE should have just budded off a spin-off franchise. Have Leon do his own action-oriented series where he suplexes zombies, cracks B-movie one-liners, wields a lightsabre grade hunting knife and blows up every vehicle with a femme fatale pal. RE4 was awesome as hell and one of the best of the series in its own demented way. Everyone else can do the survival horror thing where they barely scrape by nightmarish encounters and puzzle out various traps, dilemmas and twisted plots so that we get some new development in the Survival Horror genre beyond just its continued, stasis-like existence through shoehorning in decades old staples from the last millennium's games on to more modern graphic engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Why do you think the J'avo are poo poo?