Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ineffiable posted:

I would buy an XL but I got my original 3DS from SAmart and it was an ambassador 3DS. I'm just waiting for them to release a white XL (you all know they WILL make more colors.)

They already made a white XL, didn't they? It's only out in certain regions like Australia though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^It was Japan-only, last time I checked. AU is still limited to blue/red/silver, last time I checked.

A white XL already exists in Japan but it's not getting a standard release in NA because white models traditionally sell far less than every other colour, according to Reggie.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^It was Japan-only, last time I checked. AU is still limited to blue/red/silver, last time I checked.

A white XL already exists in Japan but it's not getting a standard release in NA because white models traditionally sell far less than every other colour, according to Reggie.

drat YOU REGGIE!

:negative:

I really want one in white mostly because it matches my PSP go, the wii, and my white PS3. Heck, I'll even buy a limited edition one if I have to.

Wasn't the white DS Lite the most common dslite (or was that partly due to it being produced more often than the other colors and not due to demand?)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

I think white is in the UK, too if you get it bundled with MK7.

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't the white DS Lite the most common dslite (or was that partly due to it being produced more often than the other colors and not due to demand?)

I think the white was the only color available for awhile and anyone who had an original DS knew that the lite was an honest upgrade, so they ran out to buy it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

AU is still limited to blue/red/silver, last time I checked.
Been a while since you checked then, since it's been a limited edition digital game bundle here since December.

I've only seen the likes of EB stocking it though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The white MK7 bundle isn't an XL, though, is it?

EDIT: it is, oops

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 3, 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

noirstronaut posted:

Midnight eastern.

Pretty sure it's midnight western since NOA is an Redmond.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

It's a little more complicated then that. At Midnight eastern on a release day, big retail games and select 3DS titles(like Pokemon Dream Radar and Hello Kitty) become available. On Thursday at midnight, a few games become available for purchase, entries for others are added, and videos to be added to other eshop titles appear. Then around noon Thursday they will do a proper eShop update, making the rest of the Thursday content available and changing out the items on the front page. You have to view the stuff by going to recent additions (both video and software) and using the search button without any filters.

E: They do run their servers on Pacific time

Dehry fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 3, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Louisgod posted:

I think they push it out as early as possible. I got Sticker Star and Layton at around 12:30 EST.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Hmm, I thought that since they run their servers on PST that is when they release their games too. Good to know that's not right.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm sad they released a purple 3DS right alongside the XL. I ended up going for the XL (Hooray Christmas presents), but ... my favorite color, dangit. Oh well. Blue's still cool.

And also if you're worried about being bad at applying the Hori screensaver, I'm abjectly terrible and managed to pull it off.

Is Fire Emblem still showing as the 4th for others in the US?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm sad they released a purple 3DS right alongside the XL. I ended up going for the XL (Hooray Christmas presents), but ... my favorite color, dangit. Oh well. Blue's still cool.

And also if you're worried about being bad at applying the Hori screensaver, I'm abjectly terrible and managed to pull it off.

Is Fire Emblem still showing as the 4th for others in the US?

Seriously! I love purple too. I didn't really like the regular 3DS though. I also went for the blue XL. I'm not thrilled with it; it's a nice blue, it just doesn't look that great with the black.

I tried the Theatrhythm demo aaaand I kind of want to get it now. However as a lefty I run out of room during the sliders sometimes. D'oh.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'll represent the flip-side of that coin and say that, while I'm salty that the 3DS XL came out so close to when I got my normal, my Zelda 3DS is the most beautiful collector's edition I've ever seen and I think it'd look gaudy as an XL.

The normal 3DS reminds me alot of the GBA Micro with how sleek it is. And also how they both hurt my hands to use.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Europe got two White 3XLs, one with MK7, another with Mario Land 3D. The Pikachu one is White/Yellow, which isn't a... pretty color. I'm surprised the US hasn't got the White 3XL. I'm also surprised I can't have a full black 3XL; I don't care much for White and the other mixed colors are atrocious. It's not like I have money to upgrade right now, anyway, so hopefully next year there will be a black 3XL.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, I think the "White/Black don't sell well enough, so no one gets them" is stupid. They should of just had White/Black/Red/Blue from the start. Then both child friendly colourful colours, and more mature settings friendly monochrome colours would of made nearly everyone happy.

Then later they could of done limited edition colours like green, orange, yellow and purple.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Will the 3DS shut off automatically if I don't touch it after a certain amount of time, including the download process? I just remembered that it took me 45 minutes to download the Fire Emblem demo and the actual game is 8x the size. I just might let it download it at midnight and go asleep.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Lord Ephraim posted:

Will the 3DS shut off automatically if I don't touch it after a certain amount of time, including the download process? I just remembered that it took me 45 minutes to download the Fire Emblem demo and the actual game is 8x the size. I just might let it download it at midnight and go asleep.

When you download from the eShop, there's an option to postpone the download until the 3DS isn't used. The game will start downloading once you close the lid on the 3DS, even if the eShop app isn't open. You can even stop an active download midway through and let it resume later, when the 3DS lid is closed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aerofallosov posted:

Yeah the only way to gently caress up that installation is if you do it in a dusty room where dust can settle on the screen between the time you clean the screen and apply the protector.

Which is why you do it in your bathroom. Run the hot tap or a hot shower for a while before, getting the air humid. This pushes down any airborn dust particles and keeps it down. Then just waltz in with your pre-cleaned 3DS, give it a quick once over (don't go nuts so you don't rub any moisture into the screen) and install the screen protector.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized something kinda crazy. Three weeks ago I knew next to nothing about Fire Emblem. Tonight I'm staying up past midnight just so I can start a download so I can start playing FE:A first thing in the morning. Crazy how well that demo and the ambassador FE game convinced me that Fire Emblem as a whole (but specifically Awakening) was worth it.

Ineffiable posted:

I'm just waiting for them to release a white XL (you all know they WILL make more colors.)

I'm convincing myself that it's OK that i didn't hold out for the eventual royal purple XL because I'm sure some third party will have purple replacement plates for sale shortly afterward. I'm sure they will. Right? :unsmith: Yeah I'm probably just gonna buy a purple one when it comes out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I would be running for new colors if 1) they changed what I'm looking at (Most just change the outside color. White is white everywhere, though) and 2) if black didn't look so drat smooth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aerofallosov posted:

They teased me with the transparent 3DSXL that's apparently never being made for retail :negative:.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

orenronen posted:

When you download from the eShop, there's an option to postpone the download until the 3DS isn't used. The game will start downloading once you close the lid on the 3DS, even if the eShop app isn't open. You can even stop an active download midway through and let it resume later, when the 3DS lid is closed.

you actually have to close the Eshop before it will start downloading if you choose Download Later. I found this out the hard way after leaving something to download overnight!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Ineffiable posted:

The original 3DS isn't well built for traveling in pockets anyway. You'll scratch up the screen or your screen protectors easily, and you're better off taking it in your bag or something like that.

I would buy an XL but I got my original 3DS from SAmart and it was an ambassador 3DS. I'm just waiting for them to release a white XL (you all know they WILL make more colors.)

Would all the stuff you got from the ambassador program be useable if you switched to an XL and used the same SD card or is there some sort of odd drm on it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They teased me with the transparent 3DSXL that's apparently never being made for retail :negative:.

Got pics of this? I'd love to see how it looks at least.

And yes, as said before I'm just going to stick it out with my original 3DS for as long as possible unless they release a white XL. Even if I have to buy a limited edition bundle with Pokemon X or something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lucinice posted:

Would all the stuff you got from the ambassador program be useable if you switched to an XL and used the same SD card or is there some sort of odd drm on it?

No, but you can do a system transfer to bring all that stuff to a new system. You must have both systems on hand, and they must both be able to connect to the Internet.

VVVVVV For me, it's the appeal of having it on the system all the time. I really hate having to switch carts. Plus, if you download it, you can get it immediately at midnight on release day. No lines, no driving, etc.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 3, 2013

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Why is everyone so excited about getting Fire Emblem on the eShop? I plan on just waltzing into Wal-Mart tomorrow and buying a copy. Is there some kind of difference between the digital and physical copies of the game, besides the obvious?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

surf rock posted:

Why is everyone so excited about getting Fire Emblem on the eShop? I plan on just waltzing into Wal-Mart tomorrow and buying a copy. Is there some kind of difference between the digital and physical copies of the game, besides the obvious?

There's a chance that the game is sold out on preorders. You may not be able to waltz into Wal-Mart tomorrow and buy the game.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Zurai posted:

There's a chance that the game is sold out on preorders. You may not be able to waltz into Wal-Mart tomorrow and buy the game.

Plus the fact that the games are tied to the system instead of an account weirds me out. Can you back them up on your computer or something?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

kater posted:

I'll represent the flip-side of that coin and say that, while I'm salty that the 3DS XL came out so close to when I got my normal, my Zelda 3DS is the most beautiful collector's edition I've ever seen and I think it'd look gaudy as an XL.

The normal 3DS reminds me alot of the GBA Micro with how sleek it is. And also how they both hurt my hands to use.

This is pretty much me. The Zelda 3DS is so damned purty that the only reason I see me picking up an XL is if they do similar purple Majora's Mask bundle. I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've settled on the XL. Thanks guys.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ineffiable posted:

It was in an Iwata Asks and it was butt-ugly, no joke. After the GBA the density of the electronic components and the nature of the plastic casing reached the point where there was no room for cool effects; a transparent 3DS or XL would really just look ugly and fragile and it'd probably distract from the 3D, too.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Ineffiable posted:

And yes, as said before I'm just going to stick it out with my original 3DS for as long as possible unless they release a white XL. Even if I have to buy a limited edition bundle with Pokemon X or something.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Oh man, my Gameboy Color back in the day was transparent. Nintendo, why do you do this to me :negative:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I don't care if they sell poorly, my first GBA was white and I want my 3DS to be white too. Or purple. :colbert:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Got my transparent OG Game Boy with Kirby's Dream Land 2 for Christmas '95 :c00lbert: (picture from GIS)

Electronics with transparent casing will always be cool to me. Maybe these days people feel like it'd distract too much from carefully conceived industrial design or something.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Plus the fact that the games are tied to the system instead of an account weirds me out. Can you back them up on your computer or something?

You can back up the contents of the SD card at any time. Just copy everything onto the computer, and if you want to switch to a bigger SD card or something, just take all the stuff you backed up and copy it onto the new card. As long as it goes in the same 3DS, it'll act like nothing happened.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Artix74 posted:

You can back up the contents of the SD card at any time. Just copy everything onto the computer, and if you want to switch to a bigger SD card or something, just take all the stuff you backed up and copy it onto the new card. As long as it goes in the same 3DS, it'll act like nothing happened.

I did this and I lost all my streetpass data :(

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

I want that. So much!

Only two-three months left until Fire Emblem: Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 2 make it over to Europe now... Gonna spend that time working on my backlog and continue reading up any info I can find on the latter.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can always buy the transparent kit and put it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

pandaK posted:

I did this and I lost all my streetpass data :(

That sucks. Isn't streetpass data on the 3DS? I just swapped out the SD cards in my 3DS and my buddy's in preparation for Fire Emblem and had no trouble.

• Locked thread