Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

cursedshitbox posted:

After 6 months of dealing with a signal not working I finally decided to replace the power board on my Range Rovers body controller.

*everything* goes through this guy. I lost the front right signal indicator, headlight wash/wipe, and a few other minor glitches like loosing sync with the key.

So where is the failure? Everything looks like it's fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

It's an electronic component in a Landrover. It IS the failure. Made by Lucas no doubt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Lucas is the failure.

Seriously though....you can't really see when they're bad. I think the plastic starts distorting or something and then you start randomly losing connectivity to different things. It's begun happening on the D2s with increasing frequency now that they are all at about the right age. Extreme heat or cold exacerbates it, then you're fine when the temp is close to normal-ish. Then it starts flaking all the time. You can prolong the pain by reseating things every few days/weeks, but it's just gonna make you want to rip your hair out.

It's one of those "HOW CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE A SINGLE ROOT CAUSE PROBLEM!!!" kind of things similar to an ignition switch that fails in the right way (like when the plastic ones split and make intermittent connectivity to different circuits).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 3, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Collateral Damage posted:

At least it went out and not in.

I'm guessing there's some sort of shielding on the inwards facing side so you don't shower the passengers or cargo with shrapnel in case it blows?

Aside from the body of the APU itself, no, not really.

That's why they tell you not to be standing there when it starts up.

We're over in India trying to sell Chinooks to the air force over there, they come back from a demo flight, and the plan's that they're not going to shut down, they're going to give me a couple of minutes to run on, download data from the flight, and then they'll do a hot refuel and go back out. I climb on board, do my thing with my laptop, and then turn around to see the entire cabin full of women and kids. Every Indian ground crew's dependents just climbed right the hell onto the helicopter, without mentioning anything to the pilots, with the APU going, with a fuel truck right next to the helicopter, and with no goddamned ear protection at all. Kids have their hands clamped down over their ears because that thing is painfully loud and moms just give no shits.

This is why when I see some news report of a disaster over in that part of the world with ridiculous numbers attached to it, like oh, a train derailed and killed 4200 people, it makes perfect sense to me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PatrickBateman posted:

hmmm.... was this at NWA in 2005 right before the strike? we had one like that....

No, Gemini Air Cargo, ~2007.

Phanatic posted:

That's kind of terrifying. This is what our APUs fail like:

:stare:

Phanatic posted:

Theres your problem. It's not covered in oil and hydrualic fluid. They run better on an air/fuel/oil/skydrol mix.

"Gemini 515, returning to the gate, smoke in the cockpit."

:rolleyes:

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

MrYenko posted:

No, Gemini Air Cargo, ~2007.

Theres your problem. It's not covered in oil and hydrualic fluid. They run better on an air/fuel/oil/skydrol mix.

"Gemini 515, returning to the gate, smoke in the cockpit."

:rolleyes:

We had dc-9s that had the paint falling off the bottom of the fuselage in the hangar near the main landing gear due to skydrol leaks. loving things looked like they had leprosey.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Raw_Beef posted:

Its really common for people to use oil line fed gauges when they cant figure out how to wire an electric one. Most of the time this is when the OEM gauge has failed, but in Alfa's case, who can say? I've replaced dozens of alfa convertible tops and frames, but i had to call the local alfa shop to ask them where the trunk handle was. The whole car is a mechanical failure.

I'm a bad person who is dumb and cheap and I have parts store mechanical oil pressure gauges in my 3 vehicles.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Memento1979 posted:

There was an Australian car that I can't remember the name of from the 40s60s where the fuel gauge was a piece of vertical glass tube running up the dashboard that was fed fuel directly from the tank. So you would have little marks on the glass, that would show you how much fuel was left. I'm not sure if that's worse or better than hot oil running into the passenger compartment. There certainly aren't any winners here.

fake edit: found it. The Lightburn Zeta. Holy poo poo it was a lot more recent than I thought.

Oh God.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The only way that could be more perfect would be if the little oval hatch is the ashtray.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bolind posted:

The only way that could be more perfect would be if the little oval hatch is the ashtray.

Either that or a beer caddy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think it actually is an ashtray!

According to this, at least: http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_lightburn_zeta.htm

quote:

Dividing the facia was a vertical plastic tube, covered with a perspex mask marked with calibrations. Up and down this the fuel mixture roamed, and this acted as the fuel gauge. It could read anywhere from full to empty depending on gradient or throttle. It was merely a bypass of the gravity-feed fuel system.

To the left of this was a pull-knob that released the bonnet, and to the right a swivel-type ashtray.

:supaburn:

E: Yup, it is an ashtray. Have a picture:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
What on earth is that dash even made of? It looks like a cheap kitchen counter.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Mechanical oil pressure gauges don't have flow, they have a column of oil with pressure behind it, and I've never had one get hot. Same with oil temperature gauges, they have freon or some other phase-change gas in the line, not oil.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

jammyozzy posted:

What on earth is that dash even made of? It looks like a cheap kitchen counter.

Close, but it was likely the same cast as Washing Machine innards.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Hey, uh, I think something's wrong with your turbo, dude

Seriously, no bueno

Sweet merciful christ

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

DJ Commie posted:

Mechanical oil pressure gauges don't have flow, they have a column of oil with pressure behind it, and I've never had one get hot. Same with oil temperature gauges, they have freon or some other phase-change gas in the line, not oil.

While this is true, if the oil pressure gauge, fittings, or line starts to leak, it'll be dumping hot oil into the cabin.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

chrisgt posted:

While this is true, if the oil pressure gauge, fittings, or line starts to leak, it'll be dumping hot oil into the cabin.

I found this out the hard way with my Ford F250. Some JBWeld on the plastic line over the break fixed the problem though :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Hey! I think the Sport model may have been the mysterious car I saw maybe 12-14 years ago ago once in a McD's carpark in Lithgow. To this day I've never been able to find a match for its weird boat looking lines.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Seriously, no bueno

Sweet merciful christ

Christ. I'd surely hate to have to remove that piece of cast iron from my skull.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Remember I posted the house with the collapsed aerial? It's getting fixed, or possibly removed today!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

Remember I posted the house with the collapsed aerial? It's getting fixed, or possibly removed today!

No wonder it's been silent recently..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGrXD-WHDrE

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We always thought it was encryption, but it's just a Caesar cipher on a Kaptain Ballistik post!

No wonder nobody could decode it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DJ Commie posted:

Back around 1986, a buddy of mine had a bright red 1977 Mustang II with a factory oil pressure gauge. He asked me to look at the car because he kept having this oily brown stain which kept magically reappearing, no matter how thoroughly or often he cleaned his bright red factory carpeting. It would spot right in that crotch where the trans tunnel met the floor & footrest on the passenger side.

Which was a direct vertical line from the oil gauge. It used engine oil - no medium.

Yup. OEM, factory, wet-pressure oil gauge. The retaining nut had been overtightened a little, which sliced the nylon line. I snipped about an inch off & reset it to repair the leak.

I used aftermarket wet gauge sets when I was younger & perpetually short on cash; they are a lot cheaper than the electronic ones. Never leaked, but it was just a matter of time...

Content: Went to the bakery this morning to score fresh rolls for the Super Bowl & got rearended by a kid in an Acura SUV.

Second time in three months.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 4, 2013

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Content: Went to the bakery this morning to score fresh rolls for the Super Bowl & got rearended by a kid in an Acura SUV.

Second time in three months.

Grey skies and silver cars, every time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

General_Failure posted:

Is that... really as close to the mains as it looks?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

Is that... really as close to the mains as it looks?

No the mains is on the complete opposite side of the house. Follow them to the telephone pole on the edge of the photo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's still entirely too close for comfort, it looks like if the antenna fell over it'd get tangled up in some lovely medium voltage sparky bits.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Seriously, no bueno

Sweet merciful christ

Any backstory? That core shift is spectacular, and it's just the tip of the iceberg (S&W failure notwithstanding).

Agent RE-RE
May 13, 2002

See? It IS funny!

Phanatic posted:

I love all that clean, beautiful MIL-PRF primer up in that hatch. Don't scratch at that stuff, it'll peel right off using just a fingernail, and it's mostly lead!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Considering most cars from the 60s and prior had the entire gas tank in the cabin (often under or behind the seats) I don't see how this really makes it any worse.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DJ Commie posted:

Or ether, as was used in the aftermarket coolant temp gauge I once bought but never installed after reading all the warnings in the instructions. It was bundled with a direct-feed oil pressure gauge and a similarly suicidal ammeter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Geoj posted:

Considering most cars from the 60s and prior had the entire gas tank in the cabin (often under or behind the seats) I don't see how this really makes it any worse.

What the gently caress cars are these?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Godholio posted:

Literally anything pre-Ralph Nader, and quite a bit after. I know some of the Chevy/GMC pickups had them well into the 70s.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We had an old Ford pickup that had the gas tank inside the box the bench seat sat on. Easiest electronic fuel pump retrofit ever.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Godholio posted:

The Toyota Land Cruiser kept the fuel tank under the passenger seat until '82. Admittedly this design was a bit outdated long before then. (E: and the FJ40 is far, far from any remotely modern safety standard)

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 5, 2013

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Geoj posted:

Trucks, maybe. I've had my hands on many cars "from the 60s and prior", and the only one that didn't have the fuel tank under the trunk was my corvair.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Aircooled Beetles kept the tank right at your feet for their entire production run. For a long time the mechanical fuel gauge was driven by a two cable, straight from the tank to the dash.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Geoj posted:

You must have missed the wiki article, you see that gauge right there? Yeah, apparently the gas tank is right behind it. In the dashboard.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

some texas redneck posted:

That's still entirely too close for comfort, it looks like if the antenna fell over it'd get tangled up in some lovely medium voltage sparky bits.

Not sure I'd refer to a mix of 240v and either 11KV or 33KV as "Medium voltage"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Geirskogul posted:

We had an old Ford pickup that had the gas tank inside the box the bench seat sat on. Easiest electronic fuel pump retrofit ever.

Reminds me of a 68 or 69 F100 that had the gas tank situated right behind the bench seat. With the gasket around the fuel filler neck flaking off, you could see how the neck ran into the cab and straight into the tank.

I always wondered, "Who the hell thought this was a good idea?"