Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

myron cope posted:

Can someone explain advanced stats to me (maybe like I'm a hockey novice)? Or link me to a site that will do so? Or should I not even bother
Some quick basics:

Corsi is +/- for shots on goal.
Fenwick is +/- for shots on goal plus other shots that don't make it.
PDO is a way of measuring "puck luck." It is the shooting percentage of the player's team while the player is on the ice, added to the save percentage of the player's team while the player is on the ice. It should be around 1000. If it's lower than 1000, they're having bad luck and should improve. It's it's higher than 1000, they're having good luck and I expect them to do a bit worse.
Zone Starts are how often the player starts in each zone.

It gets more complicated from there. Here is a site that lists most of it: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php

They also have further explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Low ice time/games played makes Corsi better, that's why Benn and Barch are near the top right?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Zorkon posted:

Some quick basics:

Corsi is +/- for shots on goal.
Fenwick is +/- for shots on goal plus other shots that don't make it.

Actually, Corsi is "all shots directed towards the net," or, shots on goal plus missed shots plus blocked shots. Fenwick operates on the assumption that since blocked shots are a repeatable skill, you could get a stronger measure by omitting them. Accordingly, Fenwick is shots on goal plus missed shots.

PDO can also skew from 1000 over the course of a season with exceptionally either good or bad goaltending. Boston, for instance, had a ~1020 PDO for 10-11. Since we're in a shortened season, however, there isn't enough time for team shooting and save percentages to properly regress, so we might get some really wacky results. Eric T, who writes for NHL numbers and Broad Street Hockey, said that, based on puck luck, a middling, 8th seed caliber team could finish anywhere from 1st to 15th.

e: And here is NHLNumbers' "reference library." For everything you could ever want in your mother's basement.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 29, 2013

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The funny thing is Gordie only did it twice. Stan Mikita has the most with 67.

Really the only statistic worth knowing. In this age of the specialized (read useless) brawler, this is truly a feat.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The best part about the Mikita story is that the vast majority of those Gordie Howe hat tricks were in the first seven years of his career, as he eventually cleaned up his act. The way he tells it, his little girl was watching a Hawks game on TV and asked Stan's wife "Mommy, why is Daddy sitting down so much?". Stan kinda realized that he wasn't setting a good example for Chicagoland kids and decided to clean his poo poo up and take substantially fewer penalties. He was so successful at doing so that he won the Lady Byng twice in his career.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hope this is the right place to ask this - I'm in NYC when the Penguins are in town, and it'd be really neat to see the team I've casually followed from an oceans distance over the last 10 years. I'm with a friend who's not really a hockey fan but he seems happy to go to the game, but naturally I don't want him to spend a load of money on something he might not enjoy. So simple question - in MSG, is it worth getting cheap seats or will it just not be fun? Any blocks to particularly avoid? From what I can tell, I'm relying on stubhub for his, so I'm guessing tickets are priced a good chunk over the face value?

I'm guessing maybe up to about $80 a ticket would be a rough spending estimate. If I'm being unrealistic just let me know!

edit: Block 224 is $125/ticket row 10, more than I was planning but enjoyable seats?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 30, 2013

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

The pHo posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask this - I'm in NYC when the Penguins are in town, and it'd be really neat to see the team I've casually followed from an oceans distance over the last 10 years. I'm with a friend who's not really a hockey fan but he seems happy to go to the game, but naturally I don't want him to spend a load of money on something he might not enjoy. So simple question - in MSG, is it worth getting cheap seats or will it just not be fun? Any blocks to particularly avoid? From what I can tell, I'm relying on stubhub for his, so I'm guessing tickets are priced a good chunk over the face value?

I'm guessing maybe up to about $80 a ticket would be a rough spending estimate. If I'm being unrealistic just let me know!

edit: Block 224 is $125/ticket row 10, more than I was planning but enjoyable seats?

You might be better off asking in the N/V thread, I know there are a few STH for the Rangers that could probably give you advice, not sure if they check this thread though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, I'll repost over there.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

The pHo posted:

As another Euro who went to New York and caught a couple of hockey games, if watching the game in MSG isn't a priority, you could catch the Pens in New Jersey. There's a direct train to Jersey from Penn Station and the tickets are a bit cheaper there. The arena is pretty nice too. Also, if you're feeling adventurous, you COULD go to the Nassau Coliseum if the Pens are playing the Isles. The tickets are reeeeally cheap, but the travel there and back is a hassle and a half.

I had tickets in the pre-renovation Garden from the middle of the upper bowl and they were perfectly fine. I was sitting in the nosebleeds for the Devils and Isles games and they were also good, especially considering the price.

larkko fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 30, 2013

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I don't think it's particularly friendly to advise someone who isn't an Islanders fan go to Nassau Coliseum. I mean have a heart, bro.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Overwined posted:

I don't think it's particularly friendly to advise someone who isn't an Islanders fan go to Nassau Coliseum. I mean have a heart, bro.

Last year my wife and I went to Toronto and NYC for our honeymoon. We took a train to Long Island from NYC so I could see the Penguins play (that was the nearest place to where we were that they were playing in).

I reaaaaally liked the Coliseum. No corporate bullshit at all, it was just a big arena with seats. And I loved it.

We talked to a great bunch of people who seemed really interested in hearing about why we were there and how an Englishman got into hockey and whatnot. The Islanders fans were surprisingly nice until the Penguins got beat and then they gave it to us pretty hard but that's just part of going to a game. I'd heard they were real arseholes but they weren't at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Largo LaForge posted:

As another Euro who went to New York and caught a couple of hockey games, if watching the game in MSG isn't a priority, you could catch the Pens in New Jersey.

Cheers man, I just checked the Pens schedule and out of the 4 games they're playing when I'm over 2 of them are home, 1 is at MSG and the other is away against the Hurricanes so looks like MSG is the only viable option. I'm already spending two evenings in Jersey so be nice to actually do something in the city I'm staying in!

Sounds like the 200 seating should be good then, I've trawled the web looking for feedback and nobody seems to be saying they had a bad time. Thanks for the advice!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seemed like a load of the good and cheap tickets got picked up overnight, but did Row 6, 212 for $155 a ticket which my friend was cool with. Very much looking forward, the renovated MSG looks awesome.

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

thehustler posted:

I reaaaaally liked the Coliseum. No corporate bullshit at all, it was just a big arena with seats. And I loved it.

I've been a Kings' fan for a long, long time. And, I miss the hell out of the Forum in Inglewood, even though it was built in the late '60s. Better sight lines, no bad seats, louder, less sterile ... just a great atmosphere for hockey. Staples is a fine place, but I'd rather watch a Kings' game at the Forum any day of the week.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Zat posted:

If the location in your profile is referring to Norway, your official solution is Viaplay. It's pretty pricey in Norway though.

But it's way cheaper to use a proxy or VPN and get the American gamecenter. They are also considering showing NHL on viasat4.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

In the Pens/Rangers game the other night, the Rangers hit the post on what the amateur refs thought had to be a goal. Simon Despres then took a penalty before the play stopped. If they had looked at it and determined it was a goal, would the penalty still be in effect? Or would they move the clock back to the point of the goal and pretend any stuff after didn't happen? What if the Pens had scored?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

myron cope posted:

In the Pens/Rangers game the other night, the Rangers hit the post on what the amateur refs thought had to be a goal. Simon Despres then took a penalty before the play stopped. If they had looked at it and determined it was a goal, would the penalty still be in effect? Or would they move the clock back to the point of the goal and pretend any stuff after didn't happen? What if the Pens had scored?

If they review it and change the call, the time rolls back to when the goal was scored and anything that happened in the interim is wiped away from the face of time.

I remember one sequence like this from forever ago, I think the Ducks were one of the teams. Someone shot it through the net and it wasn't called a goal, then there was a good couple minutes of play before the next whistle during which time the other team actually scored. Once they reviewed it, the first team got the goal, the second team had theirs taken off. Big swing that.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I wanted to say thanks for helping me out getting used to the line change. I was really having a hard time keeping up with who was on the ice despite the announcers' best efforts. The tips have really helped me learn more about my team quicker. Which isn't really such a great thing since it's Columbus.

But I bought NHL 13 to speed up the process to try and learn more about the rest of the teams. Before you laugh, when my friends got me into baseball by going to games and watching it all the time, I started playing MLB: The Show a lot and learned the who's who of the league pretty drat quick. So worst case scenario is I don't learn anything but still have some fun (even though I'm really, really bad at it so far).

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Robot Danger posted:

I wanted to say thanks for helping me out getting used to the line change. I was really having a hard time keeping up with who was on the ice despite the announcers' best efforts. The tips have really helped me learn more about my team quicker. Which isn't really such a great thing since it's Columbus.

But I bought NHL 13 to speed up the process to try and learn more about the rest of the teams. Before you laugh, when my friends got me into baseball by going to games and watching it all the time, I started playing MLB: The Show a lot and learned the who's who of the league pretty drat quick. So worst case scenario is I don't learn anything but still have some fun (even though I'm really, really bad at it so far).

The other thing to look at too, if you want to get into the game is to follow the NHL and have fun with it, but look into going to a high school or college game. Depending on where you are at, it is cheaper, and usually played in smaller buildings, which gets you closer to the ice, and, the game is slower. Good training in tracking the puck, and if you want, you can use it as teaching time- "this game, I am going to watch the bench, to see how they handle certain situations", "I'm going to focus on the goalie", whatever.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Video games are probably the best way to learn the rules with the exception of playing actual hockey, combined with watching off course. Playing the EA Sports Hockey League mode is also a great way to learn the roles of each player type.

Edit: Watching hockey live is the absolute best. I have more fun watching the Norwegian elite league live, than the NHL on TV.

Anders fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 3, 2013

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If you have friends in recreational or beer hockey leagues, definitely consider going to their games. If you're (un)lucky enough, they may ask you to run the scoreboard eventually!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bewbies posted:

If they review it and change the call, the time rolls back to when the goal was scored and anything that happened in the interim is wiped away from the face of time.

I remember one sequence like this from forever ago, I think the Ducks were one of the teams. Someone shot it through the net and it wasn't called a goal, then there was a good couple minutes of play before the next whistle during which time the other team actually scored. Once they reviewed it, the first team got the goal, the second team had theirs taken off. Big swing that.

I've never seen it with a penalty though. Like what if a guy got an intentional injury penalty or something? You can't really wipe that off.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

What's that little bag thing that ovechkin has over his arse? Doesn't seem to be something everyone wears

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thehustler posted:

What's that little bag thing that ovechkin has over his arse? Doesn't seem to be something everyone wears

That's part of the pants. Ovechkin tucks his jersey in back.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
On the note of penalties, Isles under Gordon I think exploited a rule where a Team couldnt return to full strength until a stoppage in play because the other team substituted a player to serve a penalty. What ensued was a 2 minute PP ending in time but not in manpower.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I've never seen it with a penalty though. Like what if a guy got an intentional injury penalty or something? You can't really wipe that off.

Actually that's exactly what they do, regardless of the penalty. You can still get suspended or something but as far as the game goes that sequence of events didn't happen.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Okposolypse posted:

On the note of penalties, Isles under Gordon I think exploited a rule where a Team couldnt return to full strength until a stoppage in play because the other team substituted a player to serve a penalty. What ensued was a 2 minute PP ending in time but not in manpower.

Can you explain this a different way please, my Limey brain is lost :(

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

thehustler posted:

Can you explain this a different way please, my Limey brain is lost :(

A penalty was called on the opposing team. The player serving it couldnt exit the box till a stoppage in play even though the time expired. Additionally nobody off the bench could enter the game for him. Isles avoided freezing the puck and steetched a man advantage past its expiration cause no stoppage meant no return to even steength. Ir was bizarre and Howie Rose had to figure it out on the fly IIRC because it was so bizarre and a play you never see.

Also Im pretty sure it involved a substitution for who was serving it so they could keep thier guy as a PK option but Isles made that read and the teams gamble sort of cost them.

Does anyone remember this? It was againsy a western conf team I think, want to say the Coyotes.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 3, 2013

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Anders posted:

Video games are probably the best way to learn the rules with the exception of playing actual hockey, combined with watching off course. Playing the EA Sports Hockey League mode is also a great way to learn the roles of each player type.

Edit: Watching hockey live is the absolute best. I have more fun watching the Norwegian elite league live, than the NHL on TV.

Yes, the EASHL is the best way to learn hockey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bQQhtjjws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5E3lYaYPJ0
:downs:

Live hockey is the best hockey. I go to a lot of AHL games and typically stick around after my beer league games to watch the other games (and drink).

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Bradf0rd posted:

Yes, the EASHL is the best way to learn hockey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bQQhtjjws

That just summed up Philly sports in general. I have tickets for the Columbus - LA game in a couple of days, so yay!

What is the difference between a normal pass and a saucer pass?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Robot Danger posted:

That just summed up Philly sports in general. I have tickets for the Columbus - LA game in a couple of days, so yay!

What is the difference between a normal pass and a saucer pass?

A saucer pass is a pass made in the air rather than on the ice.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
A backhand cross ice saucer pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvAVlQ_Tfc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The name is derived from flying saucer.

There's also specific techniques for it. It's not simply any pass made in the air. The aim is for the puck to land flat.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 4, 2013

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Overwined posted:

A saucer pass is a pass made in the air rather than on the ice.

Aphrodite posted:

The name is derived from flying saucer.

There's also specific techniques for it. It's not simply any pass made in the air. The aim is for the puck to land flat.

I was always lead to believe that a saucer pass stays flat in the air and only spins, not flips like the Sedin pass.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, on a saucer pass you almost cut at the pack rather than cradle it to keep it flat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TOJGv84qjA&t=190s

You also start the puck on the heel rather than the toe.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

That's a good pass because Henrik almost gets Daniel killed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that's where the name comes from. It spins through the air like a flying saucer and lands flat.

Sometimes people call any pass through the air a saucer, though.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
That was reasonably saucer shaped for a 50 foot pass, c'mon.

Also it was an excuse to repost it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Okposolypse posted:

A penalty was called on the opposing team. The player serving it couldnt exit the box till a stoppage in play even though the time expired. Additionally nobody off the bench could enter the game for him. Isles avoided freezing the puck and steetched a man advantage past its expiration cause no stoppage meant no return to even steength. Ir was bizarre and Howie Rose had to figure it out on the fly IIRC because it was so bizarre and a play you never see.

Also Im pretty sure it involved a substitution for who was serving it so they could keep thier guy as a PK option but Isles made that read and the teams gamble sort of cost them.

Does anyone remember this? It was againsy a western conf team I think, want to say the Coyotes.

I remember this happening against the Devils. Pretty sure it was a goalie penalty and the Isles got almost an extra minute of man advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

bewbies posted:

Actually that's exactly what they do, regardless of the penalty. You can still get suspended or something but as far as the game goes that sequence of events didn't happen.

Nope. Rule 78.6.

quote:

Any penalties signaled during the period of time between the apparent goal and the next stoppage of play shall be assessed in the normal manner, except when a minor penalty is to be assessed to the team scored upon, and is therefore nullified by the scoring of the goal.

A couple years ago for the Penguins, Sergei Gonchar scored a goal on a slap shot from the point. However, the puck came right back out so the refs assumed it hit the post. The rebound went straight to Alex Ponikarovsky of the Leafs, who got a breakaway. Gonchar hauled him down and the refs were going to award a penalty shot until they noticed on replay that the original shot was a goal, not a post. Rule 78.6 also says "Only one goal can be awarded at any stoppage of play" so they changed a the penalty shot to a minor penalty. So according the box score, Gonchar scored a goal and took a penalty at the exact same time.

• Locked thread