Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Also:

1848 Paris Barricades. Not sure if they're from the February or June insurrections. If someone could clarify, that'd be great.

Have to say, the Les Mis stage barricades looked a lot nicer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
Guess the city and the year!

Detroit, 1967

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

BrotherAdso posted:

Detroit, 1967

Wow, Detroit was so much nicer back then!

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 3, 2013

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
The war effort needs every Rosie the Riveter it can get.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

VikingofRock posted:

Wow, Detroit was so much nicer back then!

I wish they had done one that was like "Houston Honkies" or something like that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BrotherAdso posted:

Detroit, 1967

Washington, 1968

Eastern France, 1917

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

South Bronx, 1980s

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

NYT posted:

Since retiring from the Navy SEALs, Chris Kyle, whom the Pentagon has deemed as among America’s deadliest snipers, would occasionally take fellow veterans shooting as a kind of therapy to salve battlefield scars.

Mr. Kyle, 38, author of the best-selling book “American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History,” was with a struggling former soldier on just such an outing on Saturday, hoping that a day at a shooting range would bring some relief, said a friend, Travis Cox.

But the Texas authorities said Sunday that the troubled veteran turned on Mr. Kyle and a second man, Chad Littlefield, shooting and killing both before fleeing in a pickup truck.

“Chad and Chris had taken a veteran out to shoot to try to help him,” Mr. Cox said. “And they were killed.”

The police identified the gunman as Eddie Ray Routh, 25, who had served in both Iraq and Afghanistan and had suffered from mental illness. The police offered no information about a possible motive.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

BUSH 2112 posted:

I wish they had done one that was like "Houston Honkies" or something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

quote:

The plan to insult whites in the same way the minority students were meant to perceive Native Americans being insulted backfired on the group when the team's popularity skyrocketed. In response to customer demand, the team eventually began selling shirts under both names. The team added the phrase "Fighting the use of Native American stereotypes" to its merchandise to discourage the shirts from being worn by white supremacists, and arranged for CafePress.com to handle manufacturing and sales of the clothing.

:smith:

quote:

The team sold enough shirts that they were eventually able to endow a sizeable scholarship fund for Native American students at Northern Colorado. In 2003, the team donated $100,000 to the University of Northern Colorado's UNC Foundation, which included $79,000 designated for the "Fightin' Whites Minority Scholarship".

:unsmith:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Meanwhile, one of the OWS pages is trying to insinuate nuclear power is super dangerous because the power company that operates a plant that sends power to the superdrome apparently also operates a nuclear plant somewhere in NY. Annnnnnnnd this is why I stopped being a part of that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm cleaning up my desktop so have a bunch of propaganda:

"Quiet- the enemy is watching for your secrets"

"As one man"

"Total leads to total victory!"

"A steel avalanche will crush the enemy!"

"Blood for blood. Death for death."

"All the youth united for Spain"

plus some Anarchist militia women from the Spanish civil war:

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Burt Reynolds, 1966, sans mustache, playing a Native American in "Navajo Joe," from the director of the original "Django."

Both of which are cool movies to talk about in retrospect (a la Quentin Tarantino), but are not so much while actually watching them.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

I'll inform Janet Jackson her blackness has been revoked. Like god drat, how does anyone forget that clusterfuck of a half time show.

e: nvm, I thought he was saying this was the first superbowl show with a black woman.
obligatory picture:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

This seems like a really poorly conceived plan from the beginning, assuming their motives were the ones attributed to them in the Wikipedia article. Of course it won't have the same impact on white people as it would on a minority population with a long history of discrimination. It's the same reason "honkie" doesn't have the same impact as the n-word.

If all they intended to was create awareness of the problem, well, mission accomplished, I guess, but arguably they risk weakening their position if white people don't get upset about it.

Pijonsnodt
Jul 14, 2012

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

It brings a tear to my eye to know that once in a while, justice is served.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

These couldn't possibly get any worse, could they?

Oh.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Sir John Falstaff posted:

This seems like a really poorly conceived plan from the beginning, assuming their motives were the ones attributed to them in the Wikipedia article. Of course it won't have the same impact on white people as it would on a minority population with a long history of discrimination. It's the same reason "honkie" doesn't have the same impact as the n-word.

If all they intended to was create awareness of the problem, well, mission accomplished, I guess, but arguably they risk weakening their position if white people don't get upset about it.

What would be a good way to go where they wanted to go? "The Racists" with a non-skinhead, regular white guy mascot? "The Fightin' Hitlers" with a caricature of Ronald Reagan as the mascot? "The Inbreds"?

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 4, 2013

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

IAMKOREA posted:

Why is that? I don't quite know his exploits and what exactly points to his death being karma, except for having been a really good sniper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_chamber
A bubble chamber is a vessel filled with a superheated transparent liquid (most often liquid hydrogen) used to detect electrically charged particles moving through it. It was invented in 1952 by Donald A. Glaser,[1] for which he was awarded the 1960 Nobel Prize in Physics.[2] Supposedly, Glaser was inspired by the bubbles in a glass of beer; however, in a 2006 talk, he refuted this story, saying that although beer was not the inspiration for the bubble chamber, he did experiments using beer to fill early prototypes.[3]
Cloud chambers work on the same principles as bubble chambers, only they are based on supersaturated vapor rather than superheated liquid. While bubble chambers were extensively used in the past, they have now mostly been supplanted by wire chambers and spark chambers. Historically, notable bubble chambers include the Big European Bubble Chamber (BEBC) and Gargamelle.

az
Dec 2, 2005

The best kind of warship.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

Low level deaths don't detract, in fact they are necessary for a war machine to continue. Cheering this is the same as clapping when the sun sets since it hides bad things.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Maybe they would like obama better if he shot someone in the face.

or if this happened

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5umvqiHVFg

Fascism's back on the menu boys.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Guys, maybe if the Greeks keep selling newspapers and peacefully protesting, the fascists will go away nicely. On the downside, they might have a different view of things.

On the plus side, a horrible Cardinal from Germany might say their death was worth it (as long as they're Catholic).

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Life without light pollution.

quote:

Cohen does not merely replace one sky with another for convenient photographic legibility. By travelling to places free from light pollution but situated on precisely the same latitude as his cities (and by pointing his camera at the same angle in each case), he obtains skies which, as the world rotates about its axis, are the very ones visible above the cities a few hours earlier or later. He shows, in other words, not a fantasy sky as it might be dreamt, but a real one as it should be seen.

This is a very powerful treatment. It is laborious in the extreme. To find places with the right degree of atmospheric clarity, Cohen has to go – always on the latitudes of our cities – into the wild places of the earth, the Atacama, the Mojave, the northern wastes of Mongolia. Who among us beyond a handful of professional astronomers would know if Cohen cut the odd corner by finding a good sky not quite so remote? But photography has always had a very tight relationship to reality. A good sky is not the right sky. And the right sky in each case has a huge emotional effect.
Full gallery here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LP97S posted:

Low level deaths don't detract, in fact they are necessary for a war machine to continue. Cheering this is the same as clapping when the sun sets since it hides bad things.

quote:

He did not think the job would be difficult, he wrote in his book, “American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History.”

But two weeks into his time in Iraq, he found himself staring through his scope into the face of an unconventional enemy. A woman with a child standing close by had pulled a grenade from beneath her clothes as several Marines approached. He hesitated, he wrote, then shot.

“It was my duty to shoot, and I don’t regret it,” he wrote. “My shots saved several Americans, whose lives were clearly worth more than that woman’s twisted soul.”

Over time, his hesitation diminished and he became proficient at his job, credited with more than 150 kills. In his book, he describes shooting a fighter wielding a rocket launcher 2,100 yards away, a very long distance for a sniper and his farthest ever.

“Maybe the way I jerked the trigger to the right adjusted for the wind,” he wrote. “Maybe gravity shifted and put that bullet right where it had to be.”

“Whatever, I watched through my scope as the shot hit the Iraqi, who tumbled over the wall to the ground.”

There was a better NY Times article a few hours after it happened, with more comments about what an asshat he was and how he constantly bragged about how many people he killed, but I couldn't find it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
William Fawell, who runs the SuperPAC, accused Beyoncé of representing the rise of the military state and new world order Illuminati, because she has in the past performed with dancers dressed like policemen.

"I didn't watch it. But I think the whole thing was pretty non-controversial," Fawell said. "I didn't hear anything about storm troopers."

Fawell had not heard the Twitter-fueled arguments that Beyoncé had made a supposed Illuminati-referencing triangle sign with her hands during her performance.

"I'm not surprised that they came with the triangle thing, and I don't think it was in reference to high energy particle physics," he said. "I'm sure it was about the new world order."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Joementum posted:

"I'm not surprised that they came with the triangle thing, and I don't think it was in reference to high energy particle physics," he said. "I'm sure it was about the new world order."

Well, it's in the ballpark.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2014

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

BUSH 2112 posted:

http://gowhities.com/page/4/

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

Joementum posted:

William Fawell, who runs the SuperPAC, accused Beyoncé of representing the rise of the military state and new world order Illuminati, because she has in the past performed with dancers dressed like policemen.

"I didn't watch it. But I think the whole thing was pretty non-controversial," Fawell said. "I didn't hear anything about storm troopers."

Fawell had not heard the Twitter-fueled arguments that Beyoncé had made a supposed Illuminati-referencing triangle sign with her hands during her performance.

What always seems to be missing when people say that the Illuminati display their symbols everywhere, is the question why this super-powerful/secret organization would feel the need to do this. The only thing that makes sense is that conspiracy theorists believe (but do not admit believing) that the symbols function as some sort of brainwashing. What other function could they possibly serve? It's not like actual secret agents run around throwing signs showing they're members of the CIA or whatever.

Pictured: mind controlled Illuminati puppet Willow Smith

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Crocuta posted:

What always seems to be missing when people say that the Illuminati display their symbols everywhere, is the question why this super-powerful/secret organization would feel the need to do this. The only thing that makes sense is that conspiracy theorists believe (but do not admit believing) that the symbols function as some sort of brainwashing. What other function could they possibly serve? It's not like actual secret agents run around throwing signs showing they're members of the CIA or whatever.

Pictured: mind controlled Illuminati puppet Willow Smith

Reading Illuminatus! is fun because they have answers for all sorts of dumb conspiracy theory questions. In your case, they show symbols everywhere because the Illuminati are cocky bastards who like taunting the populace and those who know they exist. :v:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

:itshappening:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Finnish fascists from the 30s with picture of Mussolini. Their leader Vihtori Kosola is the fattest one with the most bling.

Post your silliest looking crackpot dictator wannabe!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sometimes Ron Paul is a pretty cool guy. :unsmith:

King Richard III was scoliosis as gently caress.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He's intimidating even with a basket of puppies.

• Locked thread