Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

Volmarias posted:

Looking at all of the updates, I would say this is one of the prime aspects of the game.

I get that you can find odd stuff and make use of it, but I'm thinking more like turning a ruined temple into your city hall, or helpfully enslaving gainfully employing the locals. That sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012
So just how colonial can we get? Full on iron (steam powered) boot?

How much authority can I abuse? I must know, for science.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Carnalfex posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned so I thought I'd bring it up: will there be checks in place to give a sense of progression without frontloading difficulty or making later gameplay stale?

Yes and yes. For one thing, it is worth noting that your distance from the Empire is inversely proportional to the amount of madness that you may encounter, and therefore the level of Excitement and Difficulty. For instance, "The Bay of Hugs" will be somewhat quieter than "The Mounds of Insanity". It's not quite a difficulty slider, but it's something. Essentially, the closer you get to the edge of the world (after all, the world is square) the more you are exposed to the cold vacuum of the Void.

There is, of course, other stuff, and balancing will be an ongoing thing. I hope you are all looking forward to Terrible Betas.

ScottyBomb posted:

Totally random question - part of the game is about exploration around the colony as you develop, yes? So can you find things other than monsters and evil... things?

Yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

There is, of course, other stuff, and balancing will be an ongoing thing. I hope you are all looking forward to Terrible Betas.

Around Christmas last year I thought "2013 is going to be a great year for games!" I've come to realize, no it isn't, it's going to be a miserable, horrible wait for all the incredibly promising games that were Kickstarted and started being produced by various indie studios.

Q1 2014 is going to be a great year for games. :smith:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A friend of mine, upon being informed of this game, has stated "all I ask is the ability to build fortresses, and then mock my enemies from the walls. With my ball lightning gun."

Will there, in fact, be ball lightning guns?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Orv posted:

Around Christmas last year I thought "2013 is going to be a great year for games!" I've come to realize, no it isn't, it's going to be a miserable, horrible wait for all the incredibly promising games that were Kickstarted and started being produced by various indie studios.

We're still planning on having things done before Q1 2014.

ToxicFrog posted:

A friend of mine, upon being informed of this game, has stated "all I ask is the ability to build fortresses, and then mock my enemies from the walls. With my ball lightning gun."

Will there, in fact, be ball lightning guns?

Yes. Also, the Automatic Defense Tesla Coil.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

We're still planning on having things done before Q1 2014.

Oh yeah, and I'm definitely looking forward to trying to break your game, but I've finally run into the problem I've been having with book series for about a decade now. All these great things to look forward to, so far away. Though to be fair I thought Halloween 2011 was about a week before 2012s, so maybe I won't notice the wait. :shepface:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

nvining posted:

But will they be as horrendously overpowered as the tesla coils from Red Alert? Please say yes.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Although you seriously can't make me throw my money at you any faster, you really are trying aren't you?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Cicero posted:

But will they be as horrendously overpowered as the tesla coils from Red Alert? Please say yes.

By "horrendously overpowered" do you mean "indiscriminate"?

(The art department has just informed me that next week's production is CREEPY WEEK. I will keep you informed.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

By "horrendously overpowered" do you mean "indiscriminate"?

Provided they discriminate towards random electrocution.

And you can mount them on aurochs.

E: That's a thought. How far into weird steampunk are you going? Are we talking giant mechanical tanks/spiders, etc, or more mundane stuff?

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 4, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

nvining posted:

Also, the Automatic Defense Tesla Coil.

Boy, I sure hope those can "malfunction" like the things in Dishonored. :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Orv posted:

2013 is going to be a great year to wait for games :yayclod:

quote:

I hope you are all looking forward to Terrible Betas.

Don't you toy with my emotions

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

nvining posted:

Give me a super terrible Alpha, I really can't wait to try this out :ohdear:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In a perfect world, this game would have fully realized versions of all of Tesla's failed, incomplete, or supposed inventions---a better world for us all.

Pigeon familiars/friends would also complete this.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nvining, I demand the ability to replicate the entirety of The Prestige within your video game. :rolldice:

nvining
May 30, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

In a perfect world, this game would have fully realized versions of all of Tesla's failed, incomplete, or supposed inventions---a better world for us all.

Pigeon familiars/friends would also complete this.

Pigeons, pigeon pets, and an inordinate fondness for pigeons (the actual trait name is "Pigeon Fancier") is already in, and has been for a couple of weeks. There are various other Tesla-things in the design documents, including Teleforce.

EDIT: Uh, what are the other major "failed, incomplete, or supposed inventions" of Nikola Tesla? I know about Teleforce and the Free Energy stuff, and all about the things where Edison would publically discredit him via electrocution of elephants in public spectacles, but what else am I missing...?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

nvining posted:

Pigeons, pigeon pets, and an inordinate fondness for pigeons (the actual trait name is "Pigeon Fancier") is already in, and has been for a couple of weeks. There are various other Tesla-things in the design documents, including Teleforce.

EDIT: Uh, what are the other major "failed, incomplete, or supposed inventions" of Nikola Tesla? I know about Teleforce and the Free Energy stuff, and all about the things where Edison would publically discredit him via electrocution of elephants in public spectacles, but what else am I missing...?

Didn't he also "invent" a couple of earthquake machines, that would pound the ground hard until an earthquake was produced? Or I just made it up/it was another mad genius that came up with those. I don't even know why you would want tho invent that :shobon:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Markovnikov posted:

Didn't he also "invent" a couple of earthquake machines, that would pound the ground hard until an earthquake was produced? Or I just made it up/it was another mad genius that came up with those. I don't even know why you would want tho invent that :shobon:

Not that I know of, but he did invent a bunch of things, and experimented with shittons of more stuff, and patented various stuff that laid the groundwork for hundreds of inventions or devices that came after him. Tesla was the Great Geek Ever.

(p.s. gently caress Edison)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Markovnikov posted:

He had a device that was basically an actuator (think a jackhammer without the hammerhead) which vibrated back and forth, and claimed he was able to tune it to a building's resonant frequency to shake it apart.

This should be one of the animations that plays when you demolish buildings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or a demolition upgrade. Reduces a building to rubble in a fraction of the time. (may cause other similarly shaped buildings to also collapse)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pretty sure he claimed to have developed a deathray "peace ray" to knock aircraft out of the sky and said that he could split the world in two "like an apple" with just enough dynamite in strategic positions.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

...and said that he could split the world in two "like an apple" with just enough dynamite in strategic positions.

But then which of us hasn't on a bad enough day?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
My favorite were the electric tentacle zeppelins. They were zeppelins, with tentacles hanging down from them, that would slowly drift through the city electrocuting everything. This was before airplanes, of course. He thought the idea would end war. :iamafag:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Schizotek posted:

My favorite were the electric tentacle zeppelins. They were zeppelins, with tentacles hanging down from them, that would slowly drift through the city electrocuting everything. This was before airplanes, of course. He thought the idea would end war. :iamafag:

Is the stage in his life where he'd basically gone completely crazy?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
This conversation just makes me want enormous flying electric squidmonsters in the game. A captured specimen of the Aetheric Squid can provide power to an entire city for a year, but beware- Aetheric Squid anger easily and never forget a grudge. :cthulhu:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Afternoon forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 40% chance of electric squid floaters. Remaining indoors and inside a Faraday cage is strongly advised.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Volmarias posted:

Is the stage in his life where he'd basically gone completely crazy?

Birth?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:catstare:

You know what I mean.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, that's more of Tesla for sure. I think there's yet more in the fringes, but it has been a good long while since I delved the lands to marathon all the Tesla documentaries in existence in English---so beyond that it'd probably come down to an Afternoon Googling at Gaslamp or Wiki-diving to shore up all that wonderful madness.

Who knows? Perhaps if you include the lot of it with tender care you can get a nod/shout out from the Tesla Foundation or some such as the edutainment game we all know Clockwork Empires shall surely be.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Schizotek posted:

Well if there were no airplanes and you could manage to get your electro-death zeppelins in position in some innocuous fashion before dropping the zapping tentacles, it could sort of work in theory... Then you just say 'everyone be nice and friendly or we switch on the tentacles'. Of course, like any plan to end war it only works if you can find a perfect honest person to control the death button. Also you're going to need a hell of a lot of zeppelins.

Wait, why am I even trying to figure out the logistics of this crazy idea? I think there's some eldritch madness-inducing miasma seeping out of this thread.

nvining
May 30, 2011

I'm not even sure I believe you guys about the electro-death zeppelins. Also, having been told off by People for answering questions directly: be aware there *is* wacky stuff, but the specifics of Wacky Stuff may change from now until release. So please don't get your hopes up if, say, your death zeppelin does not make it into the game.

That said, it's good to know that we all care about Tesla.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Team Edison 4 lyfe.

Good to hear on the wacky stuff front.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

President Ark posted:

This conversation just makes me want enormous flying electric squidmonsters in the game. A captured specimen of the Aetheric Squid can provide power to an entire city for a year, but beware- Aetheric Squid anger easily and never forget a grudge. :cthulhu:

Yes, this please:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

As long as things get crazy via the abuse of SCIENCE! And Things Man Was Not Meant to Know (especially combined) I will be happy.

Orv posted:

Team Edison 4 lyfe.

:frogout:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 5, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Orv posted:

Team Edison 4 lyfe.

Go electrocute an elephant or something

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just want to be clear that was for dramatic tension. :ohdear:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Go electrocute an elephant or something

Better yet, save the elephant and just electrocute yourself

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

nvining posted:

Also, having been told off by People for answering questions directly: be aware there *is* wacky stuff, but the specifics of Wacky Stuff may change from now until release. So please don't get your hopes up if, say, your death zeppelin does not make it into the game.
I refuse to acknowledge that such entities are People. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's blog post:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/02/06/shrub-week/

Shrub Week! Please enjoy all the shrubs. (also, the new website for Dungeons of Dredmor if you haven't seen it already.)

• Locked thread