Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Didn't the 20th anniversary GTI have different wheels? That's not a paint/decal package. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I keep seeing people say CAI's don't do much over stock airboxes these days

I've heard this too. But, if you drop a "race" labeled CAI in without a tune, the car will run rough... so they must do something?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

I keep seeing people say CAI's don't do much over stock airboxes these days

Yeah, pretty much. The gains are generally within, or slightly over, the error margin of the dyno on a stock vehicle.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Locobono posted:

I've heard this too. But, if you drop a "race" labeled CAI in without a tune, the car will run rough... so they must do something?

They change the airflow properties around the MAF (by having a bigger diameter or a different number of bends or whatever) which causes the engine to run poorly, but that doesn't mean it's actually any better. Just different.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, pretty much. The gains are generally within, or slightly over, the error margin of the dyno on a stock vehicle.

Isn't it more of the fact that getting a CAI usually comes hand-in-hand with a tune, which remaps the throttle, which makes the car feel more go-fast? And people tend to attribute the go-fastness partly to the CAI since it was 50% of the cost of the "STAGE 1 POWER KIT"?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Isn't it more of the fact that getting a CAI usually comes hand-in-hand with a tune, which remaps the throttle, which makes the car feel more go-fast? And people tend to attribute the go-fastness partly to the CAI since it was 50% of the cost of the "STAGE 1 POWER KIT"?

On the 5.0 Coyotes, yeah.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Is there even an argument for getting a K&N drop in?

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

shodanjr_gr posted:

For what its worth, my 2006 3v dynoed 285rwhp with my C&L Street brand CAI and the tune it came with and 300 rwhp with a custom tune (by JPC), the rest of the car stock (besides 4.10 gear).

No idea how much of it was the intake and how much of it was the tune, but the C&L has a much larger diameter pipe and a much less restrictive filter. It also sounds a lot better than the stock intake.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Unfortunately I'd have to find one that's CARB compliant and it just seems like a pain in the rear end.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Locobono posted:

Is there even an argument for getting a K&N drop in?
You can wash and reuse it?

amp281 posted:

For what its worth, my 2006 3v dynoed 285rwhp with my C&L Street brand CAI and the tune it came with and 300 rwhp with a custom tune (by JPC), the rest of the car stock (besides 4.10 gear).

No idea how much of it was the intake and how much of it was the tune, but the C&L has a much larger diameter pipe and a much less restrictive filter. It also sounds a lot better than the stock intake.

I picked up a tenth and 1mph in the quarter and 2mpg on the street with a CAI on my 2003 GT. Coyotes are different in that Ford put a lot of research and engineering into them to get all they could. Outside of exhaust stuff and a more aggressive tune you're not going to pick up much power naturally aspirated on a '11+.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I get the feeling that the old practice of 'leaving some on the table' has gone by the wayside in the current horsepower wars.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Especially since they bumped the horsepower in the '13s. I imagine there's not even much left in the tune.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Locobono posted:

Especially since they bumped the horsepower in the '13s. I imagine there's not even much left in the tune.

There's still future direct injection to factor in.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Excited to be looking at 12 v6s with a tax refund coming to boost my credit. Upgrading from an 04 gt convertible that is leaking like a mother fucker.

Few questions about options.

Bluetooth and Ford Sync for a Galaxy S3, worth it? I fiddled with it for a minute on my test drive but couldn't get it to pair.

Also kind of confused on daytime running lights. Are they only standard on 13s or what's the deal?

Anything I should look for in a daily driver? They seem issue free from everything I've seen.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

CDW posted:

Excited to be looking at 12 v6s with a tax refund coming to boost my credit. Upgrading from an 04 gt convertible that is leaking like a mother fucker.

Bluetooth and Ford Sync for a Galaxy S3, worth it? I fiddled with it for a minute on my test drive but couldn't get it to pair.

Also kind of confused on daytime running lights. Are they only standard on 13s or what's the deal?

Anything I should look for in a daily driver? They seem issue free from everything I've seen.

Sync is pretty great, I recommend it. It's consistently rated as one of the best factory infotainment systems.

No daytime runners. They are automatic headlamps though.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

CDW posted:

Sync works well with my Galaxy S2. I used to have pairing problems but it miraculously fixed itself. The only thing that doesn't work now is the text-message dictation. I've tried all the workarounds I've found online and apparently it's really hit or miss. No idea if it's any different for the S3.

Sync is getting interesting because Ford recently opened up the development platform to the public. I guess this means we'll be seeing a lot more sync-capable apps but who knows how soon.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Added like 8 HP today

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Added like 8 HP today

That doesn't look like an 8 ball. :colbert:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Added like 8 HP today

Which knob did you have on it before?

Nevermind, I see the silver underneath the white ball. I really want to get rid of the silver que ball that came with mine and get the standard leather wrapped one.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Tide posted:

Which knob did you have on it before?

Nevermind, I see the silver underneath the white ball. I really want to get rid of the silver que ball that came with mine and get the standard leather wrapped one.

The stock knob is more cylindrical with slippery rear end plastic down the middle. Plus this has no shift pattern, where's reverse Mr. car thief?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The stock knob is more cylindrical with slippery rear end plastic down the middle. Plus this has no shift pattern, where's reverse Mr. car thief?

I hate knobs with no markings, because it just means more syncho graunching by parking lot valets.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I couldn't tell you how many times I put mine in reverse at a stoplight thinking I was in first :negative:. The reverse lockout (push down, go left then up) on mine barely works. If you put ANY weight on it, it will go straight to R instead of 1. Now I 'find' second, then go to first.

I really prefer my '04 GTO's far right and up for R

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Tide posted:

I couldn't tell you how many times I put mine in reverse at a stoplight thinking I was in first :negative:. The reverse lockout (push down, go left then up) on mine barely works. If you put ANY weight on it, it will go straight to R instead of 1. Now I 'find' second, then go to first.

I really prefer my '04 GTO's far right and up for R

I agree, ford has it fixed the in the Focus ST. Reverse is in the same place but you have to pull up a collar to engage it, so it's much more deliberate than it is on the Mustang.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Got the go-ahead from the missus. Ditching the horrible 2.73's. 3.73's are going in once taxes come back. :dance: (2012 MCA V6 Premium MT)

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 8, 2013

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I hate knobs with no markings, because it just means more syncho graunching by parking lot valets.

I'd never in a million years let any valet drive a manual vehicle of mine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

opengl128 posted:

*shrug* The parking lots close to work are too packed to not need shifting around if I come at normal hours.
I don't think I would avoid some restaurant I really wanted to go to just because it was valeted. I wouldn't like it, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

opengl128 posted:

Really? It's not like it's a lambo.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

Just slip them a fiver when they open the door for you when you first drop it off, it's not that hard.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
"How many miles did you say this had on it, Cameron?"

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
So, I'm getting a squeaking noise somewhere in/near the steering rack of my '03. Only happens in certain weather conditions (typically below 55 degrees, wet). Seems to be coming from both ends of the steering rack, somewhere inside the dust boots.

Googling turned up TSB 04-24-8, but also some posts saying the fix outlined there did not work.

I'm trading this in for a Corvette in a month or two, so is this even an issue worth fixing?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Test drove a mustang gt 3.73 and brembo and a focus st... whats up with the mustang gt hood being so tall? and it feeling so boat like!? its fuckin huge. Coming from my 2002 gt im not sure if i can get adjusted to it. Im 5'8" so that might explain it :(

loving hauls rear end and carves up roads though.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

Test drove a mustang gt 3.73 and brembo and a focus st... whats up with the mustang gt hood being so tall? and it feeling so boat like!? its fuckin huge. Coming from my 2002 gt im not sure if i can get adjusted to it. Im 5'8" so that might explain it :(

loving hauls rear end and carves up roads though.

I'm 5'8" and have owned an 11 GT for 2.5 years now. I have never once thought about a tall hood or a boat like car. You can use the height adj on the seat if you need to. The car has a long hood/engine compartment, but it's a v-8. The car is also heavy too, but with 412 hp it doesn't matter in the acceleration department. Braking and handling are affected more. Also, how much bigger is the current car vs. the 02? I'm too lazy to look myself.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm 5'8" and have owned an 11 GT for 2.5 years now. I have never once thought about a tall hood or a boat like car. You can use the height adj on the seat if you need to. The car has a long hood/engine compartment, but it's a v-8. The car is also heavy too, but with 412 hp it doesn't matter in the acceleration department. Braking and handling are affected more. Also, how much bigger is the current car vs. the 02? I'm too lazy to look myself.

Having an '04 previously, and now an 11 GT, it is quite a difference in size to me. They are two completely different cars however. My '04 was skinny and small. The '11 does feel bigger on the inside, but it will tear up a road like a regular sports car.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Getting an upgrade from 2.73s to 3.73s tomorrow. :newlol:

What's the recommended 'hey buddy take it easy for a bit' interval with a new gearset?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

thetechnoloser posted:

Getting an upgrade from 2.73s to 3.73s tomorrow. :newlol:

What's the recommended 'hey buddy take it easy for a bit' interval with a new gearset?

500 miles followed by a fluid change :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ApathyGifted posted:

So, I'm getting a squeaking noise somewhere in/near the steering rack of my '03. Only happens in certain weather conditions (typically below 55 degrees, wet). Seems to be coming from both ends of the steering rack, somewhere inside the dust boots.

Googling turned up TSB 04-24-8, but also some posts saying the fix outlined there did not work.

I'm trading this in for a Corvette in a month or two, so is this even an issue worth fixing?

My 2000 does what you describe and I had it diagnosed: dried-out / failing tie rod ends. My quote was $300ish to change out both outer ends. If it's just a little squeaky, it's probably not dangerous but it'll eventually wear down to metal-on-metal and that's bad news bears.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I know Ford was trying to hit the whole "305HP/31MPG" thing when they put a 2.73 in the 2011+ V6's, but _damn_ if a 3.73 doesn't make it a completely different, more :fh: car.

edit: VVVVVVVVV Dunno yet on either- just got 'em a couple hours ago, and I haven't had it >50mph yet. I'll post an update later.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 16, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

thetechnoloser posted:

Yeah. I know Ford was trying to hit the whole "305HP/31MPG" thing when they put a 2.73 in the 2011+ V6's, but _damn_ if a 3.73 doesn't make it a completely different, more :fh: car.

What RPM are you doing at 75mph, and what kind of fuel economy does that return?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

clutchpuck posted:

My 2000 does what you describe and I had it diagnosed: dried-out / failing tie rod ends. My quote was $300ish to change out both outer ends. If it's just a little squeaky, it's probably not dangerous but it'll eventually wear down to metal-on-metal and that's bad news bears.

But the noise isn't coming from the tie rod ends? I'm probably wrong about it coming from inside the dust boots on the steering rack too (it's drat hard to pinpoint a high-pitched noise like that), but since it's coming from the direction of the rack itself and not the wheels I think the fix outlined in the TSB would be the way to go (since it's also the cheapest possibility I can think of). I've already ordered new bushings and a tube bracket, along with a torque wrench since I seem to have gotten through life without one so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Maintenance day. Cleaning/reoiling the air filter.

To whoever asked above, the 3.73s are pulling about 2400RPM at 70-75.