Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

alnilam posted:

Do you have an ohmmeter? Maybe see what the resistance is across each mic.

Nope, nothing like that.

Wagonburner posted:

I'm guessing the headset is the type with 2 plugs? Another one beside the pink one? If so the pink is for the mic part of it only, other connector is for your ears. If that's the case the reason pink plug has 3 conductors on it I think is because PCs typically expect a powered mic to be plugged in, extra conductor gives the mic some electricity. Your new mic with 2 conductor plug is a typical non-powered one, generates its own electricity from soundwaves and that's too small of a signal for the pc.

To confuse the issue even more, newer thinkpads (t410+) have just a single a TRRS headset jack. This is what iphones and androids use, 4 conductors on the plug, left ear right ear mic and ground. This is a non-powered mic in a trrs headset I believe.

You're exactly right about the headset design, and the mic itself is really tiny. But if I can somehow connect a power source to the mic, then it should work? Sounds rather complicated for someone who doesn't have an ohmmeter, let alone a soldering iron. Crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

greazeball posted:

You're exactly right about the headset design, and the mic itself is really tiny. But if I can somehow connect a power source to the mic, then it should work? Sounds rather complicated for someone who doesn't have an ohmmeter, let alone a soldering iron. Crap.

If Wagonburner is right, then I have no idea why they would sell that as a "PC microphone." That sucks.
It seems that it's not a powered mic, meaning there's no way to send power into the mic to create a high signal. You could connect it through a pre-amp to boost the signal after the fact. It'd work but that's a very inconvenient/expensive solution.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm looking for the name of a series of books/pamphlets I had as a kind in the early 90s. Each one was a few pages and was about a specific airplane, like the B2 or SR71. They had diagrams and basic facts and maybe cut away drawings as well, but were definitely geared toward young kids. I had a binder that I collected them in. I might have gotten them from some school book program.

There was also another series of them about exotic animals that my sister had.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
The animals one was Zoobooks.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
e: wrong thread

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xenoborg posted:

I'm looking for the name of a series of books/pamphlets I had as a kind in the early 90s. Each one was a few pages and was about a specific airplane, like the B2 or SR71. They had diagrams and basic facts and maybe cut away drawings as well, but were definitely geared toward young kids. I had a binder that I collected them in. I might have gotten them from some school book program.

There was also another series of them about exotic animals that my sister had.

Was it like this?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

alnilam posted:

If Wagonburner is right, then I have no idea why they would sell that as a "PC microphone." That sucks.
It seems that it's not a powered mic, meaning there's no way to send power into the mic to create a high signal. You could connect it through a pre-amp to boost the signal after the fact. It'd work but that's a very inconvenient/expensive solution.

This is a Windows 7 computer, right? There's a good chance it has a preamp built in. It might be disabled or set to a low level so it doesn't blow out when the jack is used as a line-in.

Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray, and click "recording devices." Select the microphone, and hit "properties." The "levels" tab hopefully has some kind of mic boost option, either a slider or a checkbox.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

juche mane posted:

The animals one was Zoobooks.

Yeah Zoobooks and that picture above both look about right for the animal ones, any idea about a similar thing by with airplanes and tanks?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What? Why would you cite Urban Dictionary of all things for an etymology. My cat is a better source.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=jerry-built

It's from the 19th century when "jerry" was a general pejorative.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Moon Monster posted:

How do people spend enough time on the toilet to actually read anything? I spend maybe a max of 2 minutes on it unless I'm in some sort of intestinal distress. Probably more like 45 seconds on average. Am I just the Usain Bolt of making GBS threads or something?
I thought the exact same thing when I was watching this comedy video on Colleghumor.com.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
In Kill Bill vol. 1, early in the fight against the Crazy 88, The Bride slices three enemies and they stand there, kind of frozen, until she taps her blade and they all fall simultaneously. And I've seen it done in several places, one that comes to mind is the Shinobi reboot for the PS2, where the player character will slice multiple enemies, and they remain standing until he victoriously twists or swipes his sword in midair, and they all die at the same time.

Is there a term for this move? I've seen it done enough times that it's obviously not a one-off thing (unless the two examples are the only two, and I'm imagining any other time) so maybe there's a name for it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What publicly traded company has had the longest uninterrupted streak of quarterly losses?

I was reading Markopolos' book about Madoff's scheme, and his supposed record of consistent positive gains, along with a shoutout to GE's record of 103.
I'm curious as to what or whom their opposite is/was, and for how long.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Golbez posted:

In Kill Bill vol. 1, early in the fight against the Crazy 88, The Bride slices three enemies and they stand there, kind of frozen, until she taps her blade and they all fall simultaneously. And I've seen it done in several places, one that comes to mind is the Shinobi reboot for the PS2, where the player character will slice multiple enemies, and they remain standing until he victoriously twists or swipes his sword in midair, and they all die at the same time.

Is there a term for this move? I've seen it done enough times that it's obviously not a one-off thing (unless the two examples are the only two, and I'm imagining any other time) so maybe there's a name for it.

It's just kind of an old samurai movie thing. I'm pretty sure you'll see it in Kurosawa flicks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

What publicly traded company has had the longest uninterrupted streak of quarterly losses?

I was reading Markopolos' book about Madoff's scheme, and his supposed record of consistent positive gains, along with a shoutout to GE's record of 103.

That's a fascinating question. I'd guess
The streak would be much shorter because you eventually run out of money and go broke.

One that pops up I to my head is that it took Amazon.com 6 years to reach profitability, so your looking at 24 losing quarters.

How long after the AOL/Time Warner merger did they return to profitability? Aren't a few cell phone companies on a 6 year losing stream since the iPhone as well?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mister Macys posted:

Off-hand, I know Revlon had at least six years of unbroken quarter losses from 1999 to 2005, so 24 quarters. Revlon is publicly traded, but it's effectively owned and operated by billionaire Ronald Perelman. At some point in his life he decided he was willing to pay millions of dollars a year for the privilege of being able to tell women, "I own Revlon. :smug:"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

This is a Windows 7 computer, right? There's a good chance it has a preamp built in. It might be disabled or set to a low level so it doesn't blow out when the jack is used as a line-in.

Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray, and click "recording devices." Select the microphone, and hit "properties." The "levels" tab hopefully has some kind of mic boost option, either a slider or a checkbox.

It's Ubuntu actually, but you got me looking for a software solution this morning and I found something new.

I accidentally plugged the mic into the headphone jack and then went into my audio control panel and BAM we have input. The problem is I have to use one of those splitters to get the speakers and the mic in at the same time and the quality of the recording is terrible. I know the volume is still to high in this recording but there seems to be a lot of noise too.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

What? Why would you cite Urban Dictionary of all things for an etymology. My cat is a better source.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=jerry-built

It's from the 19th century when "jerry" was a general pejorative.

This might be true, but it should be pointed out that it was likely a corruption of jury rigged -a term that is still used. I always thought it came from a hanging tribunal putting together a makeshift gallows, but a little googling says it was nautical in origin.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I got a decent smartphone recently and I wanted to use a mobile boarding pass. I have the app and the pass and everything but I was wondering how it works when I go through TSA security. Usually with my printed out pass, they go through it and check it off matching things with my ID with a highlighter or a Sharpie. They can't do that if I just show the pass on my phone screen though.

I realize it's a stupid/small question but I don't want to wait in the security line then have to go back to print the pass. This is in the US and I'd be doing it at both a small regional and a big airport, flying domestically.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No. 9 posted:

I got a decent smartphone recently and I wanted to use a mobile boarding pass. I have the app and the pass and everything but I was wondering how it works when I go through TSA security. Usually with my printed out pass, they go through it and check it off matching things with my ID with a highlighter or a Sharpie. They can't do that if I just show the pass on my phone screen though.

I realize it's a stupid/small question but I don't want to wait in the security line then have to go back to print the pass.
Call the TSA at your airport and ask. Then print the boarding pass anyway because handing your smartphone to one of those morons is a recipe for disaster.

chrmnbill
Feb 17, 2011

No. 9 posted:

I realize it's a stupid/small question but I don't want to wait in the security line then have to go back to print the pass. This is in the US and I'd be doing it at both a small regional and a big airport, flying domestically.

You just get the QR code on your smartphone, and there's a scanner at the podium where the person checks your ID and another when you get on the plane. No one else handles your phone, you're the one who scans it. Smaller airports might not have this, but at those you won't be able to get the QR code anyway.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I haven't noticed that, only at the counters at the actual gates. Not the TSA line though. I guess I'll print it out just in case.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

FCKGW posted:

That's a fascinating question. I'd guess
The streak would be much shorter because you eventually run out of money and go broke.

One that pops up I to my head is that it took Amazon.com 6 years to reach profitability, so your looking at 24 losing quarters.

How long after the AOL/Time Warner merger did they return to profitability? Aren't a few cell phone companies on a 6 year losing stream since the iPhone as well?

Nokia's electronics department ran at a loss for 15 years initially. I recall Samsung having a similar experience.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

No. 9 posted:

I haven't noticed that, only at the counters at the actual gates. Not the TSA line though. I guess I'll print it out just in case.

It really does depend on the airport, in my experience. I've only seen the capability at the big hubs.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
How can I track down a specific stuffed toy? I'd like to buy a 'replacement' of my sister's favourite stuffed lamb from when she was a kid, but I don't know the maker/brand. I have a few photographs of her as a kid holding the toy, and I can get a photo of what it looks like now, but it's really worn out (it's over 25 years old). I've been searching eBay for months, but without more info, it's been no good. I figured there'd be some kind of obsessive toy wiki database sort of site, but I haven't found anything yet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MLIOOBE posted:

I thought for sure there was either an A/T or PYF thread on "Help me remember x" but I can't seem to find it, if there's a better thread to ask this.

I'm trying to remember the name of a free mid/late 90s online game I used to play. It was, I think, both deathmatch and CTF, possibly with bases? There were definitely structures in the gameworld It was a clunky moving first person shooter but did have a third person view. It was sort of a blasted, standard space landscape, with varied buildings, and you played as a mech-thing and could upgrade components if I remember right.

Not an official MechWarrior/BattleTech (I just googled Multiplayer BattleTech: Solaris and the other variant, it was almost like those, but with worse graphics) game or ripoff like Heavy Gear. The mechs, or whatever you played as sort of looked like Star Wars AT-STs but the heads were more rounded and they were smaller in the game world - not as gangly. I got IP banned for arguing with a mod at some point for over 100 years, so I never played it after those first few weeks.

Late, and a long shot -- was it CyberStrike 2?:
http://www.play.net/cs2/screenshots4.asp

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I want to get my wife an account but she's obnoxious and opinionated in the same ways that I am and I'm afraid people are going to think she's a sockpuppet and there's like no way to prove she's not. I'm being paranoid right?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What is the oldest religion currently practiced? Does the evolution of ideas make this impossible to answer?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Vivoviparous posted:

I want to get my wife an account but she's obnoxious and opinionated in the same ways that I am and I'm afraid people are going to think she's a sockpuppet and there's like no way to prove she's not. I'm being paranoid right?
Yes.

edit: also having multiple accounts isn't against the rules to begin with

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Mescal posted:

What is the oldest religion currently practiced? Does the evolution of ideas make this impossible to answer?

1. Hinduism, probably. 2. Given the nature of Hinduism, as a conglomeration of traditional Vedic beliefs that accepts all other beliefs, probably not. From another point of view, though, possibly an unanswerable question.

To some extent, though, it depends on the definition of "religion"--if you included vaguer concepts like animism, or considered atheism a religion, you might have different results.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 10, 2013

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Tell me why do women dress sexy to go out and drink at a friends house. Do they expect to meet guys? A friend of mine went to a party where they sat around and drank wine, all while wearing really short skirts and heels. The ratio of women to men was around 10 to 1. Maybe they just want to feel sexy?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My brother keeps on telling me a story about a video he saw when he was in high school. It starred a kid who would spin plates around then flap his arms like a bird. His name was Ranchy. Google isn't helping me. Anyone have any ideas? I really want to find this video.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I live in the UK and some houses have a bathroom with a toilet but some have the toilet in a seperate room. Was there a period in time when this was a preferred layout? I'd guess people thought it was a good idea for when someone is in the bath and you want to go poopie but if you go poopie while someone is in the bath you can't wash your hands as normally the sink is in the bathroom, is that why it stopped being popular?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crankit posted:

I live in the UK and some houses have a bathroom with a toilet but some have the toilet in a seperate room. Was there a period in time when this was a preferred layout? I'd guess people thought it was a good idea for when someone is in the bath and you want to go poopie but if you go poopie while someone is in the bath you can't wash your hands as normally the sink is in the bathroom, is that why it stopped being popular?

I wonder if it is a phase in the transition from outside to inside toilets?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I hosed up so loving much a couple of days ago. I had a couple of friends over in my brothers apartment while he was away and we got drunk and smoked indoors and it's so loving stupid of me I know but what can I do to get rid of the smell? I've aired it out and i've lit candles and stuff but it still smells a little little bit. I'm going to tell him and ask him to forgive me but I need to do something in the meantime. What can I do?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Affi posted:

I hosed up so loving much a couple of days ago. I had a couple of friends over in my brothers apartment while he was away and we got drunk and smoked indoors and it's so loving stupid of me I know but what can I do to get rid of the smell? I've aired it out and i've lit candles and stuff but it still smells a little little bit. I'm going to tell him and ask him to forgive me but I need to do something in the meantime. What can I do?

Try spraying the place down with Febreeze.

Lizzzk
Jun 7, 2011
I want to enter an Obama/gun photoshop on the Photoshop Friday column but honestly cannot see how to do it. Did I miss a deadline and the contest is actually disabled now?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lizzzk posted:

I want to enter an Obama/gun photoshop on the Photoshop Friday column but honestly cannot see how to do it. Did I miss a deadline and the contest is actually disabled now?

The post was already made on Friday. That's why it's "Photoshop Phriday". The images came from the corresponding photoshop thread. Next time make sure that you participate in every photoshop thread by each Friday just in case, I guess.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crankit posted:

In older indoor plumbing setups, it'd be common to have only a sink and tub inside, while there was still an outhouse for a toilet. What you are describing, like Spog says, sounds like it might have come from the time period when they were starting to add proper indoor toilets. And some builders might have stuck with those separate room designs after they were "necessary" because it was the way they had been building them for so long.

Originally, flush toilets would be made that didn't have the proper bends in the pipes to keep the stank gas from coming out of the sewer or whatever too, so the room you put them in would tend to smell bad all the time. So that was another possible reason.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
This is on the roof of a building in Sofia, Bulgaria.

I've been told that this was painted there because an American film was filmed there. Can anyone help me determine which film?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Dawncloack posted:

This is on the roof of a building in Sofia, Bulgaria.

I've been told that this was painted there because an American film was filmed there. Can anyone help me determine which film?

Thanks

I'm going to guess it was one of those crime dramas about the Irish mob in Boston. Based on the lettering I'd guess it was set in the 20's. Try the Identify a movie for me megathread.