Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?

natetimm posted:

I used to collect the Dark Horse comics as a kid and "what do aliens eat" was actually a letter to the editor. They replied that since aliens alternately kill some people and impregnate others, that they probably eat the people they kill as food. This is backed up by the fact that no bodies are found on LV-426 when the marines get there, even though some people invariably must have been directly killed in the final stand.

Now that is interesting - ive oftend wondered why some are killed while others are dragged away. That would figure.

Cheers to you also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Wow that ending. I can't describe words. It looks like a Quake 2 MOD. I swear Gearbox just hired 3d realm developers making Duke Nukem - let them finish Duke Nukem and then asked them to mod it to be this.

Inexcusable in this day and age. I hope this game teaches game designers everywhere a lesson. A lesson that is not getting learned!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Caecitas posted:

Now that is interesting - ive oftend wondered why some are killed while others are dragged away. That would figure.

Cheers to you also.

If you're curious, I believe it was in Aliens Earth War #1-#4 somewhere. In all fairness though, much of that comic canon has been disputed with crappy movie making since then.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

rizuhbull posted:

Eh, are you sure it wasn't rape? Can't remember which Alien movies I've seen aside from the first one, but I have a hard time believing ambiguous and freaky Giger sex wasn't involved.

Well Giger submitted a redesigned xenomorph for Alien 3 that was pretty freaky and sexual. For example, he gave the creature very feminine lips and suggested a scene where a prisoner tries to kiss it, and the xenomorph plunges its tongue down his throat and rips his insides out through his mouth. The execs and David Fincher collectively went "What the gently caress, man?" and toned everything down, maintaining Giger's cat-like design but dropping the sexual stuff.

As for the aforementioned scene of the xenomorph eating in Alien 3 though, it's literally just a dread prisoner on the ground with the xenomorph on top seemingly eating out of his stomach/torso. It doesn't look remotely sexual.

In general though, I think the sexual overtones in this franchise are generally blown out of proportion. There's a very valid reading for it in the original Alien, but none of the sequels really tread that path.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kraustofski posted:

All you peeps saying that they can't make an original or engaging Aliens game in the survival horror genre- have you people not played System Shock? Penumbra/Amnesia? DayZ? Hell even just that original AVP game, anything that actually counts as survival horror? Sure, the marines have guns and crap in the films... but they distinctly had like 3 to 4 clips between like the 4 or 5 of them that were left alive after they lost all their poo poo- this game practically holds your hand and manages to be as linear as hell. It's distinctly hilarious that people leave piles of shotgun and pulse rifle rounds just about around every corner along with health kits and storytelling nick nacks. It also helps that the most deadly enemy is the human AI and even they're middling, line up for you to shoot them cleanly.

You wanna make a real Aliens game? Make ammo a scarce resource, make it to where facehuggers and alien close ups are pretty much a death sentence (this was done somewhat in the first AVP game with the facehuggers which is like loving old as hell now). Aliens should be deadly, the harshest thing in your environment- they should also be able to use your environment against you ( example being the scene in the film where the aliens come out of the ceiling AND the floor because everything in the colony was built much like a lego kit that could be taken apart). You should be loving scared to even walk on grating let alone out in the open. Combat could be a flight or fight situation where you have only a few rounds for your rifle and maybe a clip for that pistol and there's like thousands of those alien fuckers, no regenerating health or health kits. Make your teammates well defined while stressing that they are not invincible nor do they have to survive to continue playing the game. Give that welder some actual uses outside of scripted transitions between levels, same with the hacking tool. Make exploration and gathering of resources important (example: a few hallways down you know one of your marines went down, there's a chance he dropped his rifle and the ammo that came with it, do you make the journey down there for plausible gain or do you continue holding your position behind the barricades?)

What made Aliens a good film was the fact that the marines were in over their head and it is not that good Aliens games can't be made because they have- play the original AVP and see for yourself what survival horror looks like if they even try. The game I described above CAN be made with today's technology and can be enjoyable for large crowds (people are playing Dayz- the game that literally has permadeath where you have to start from scratch if you lose). This game might not ever BE made, but this is the game people thought they might get when they heard four or so years ago that a company was trying to make a Colonial Marines game that they stressed was going to be a gripping and immersive experience.

Aliens was essentially a siege movie. You can't outrun them like you can in resident evil and I find it far too limiting. Give us ammo, but make them deadly and allow for the environment to be more foreboding.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MUFFlNS posted:

Well Giger submitted a redesigned xenomorph for Alien 3 that was pretty freaky and sexual. For example, he gave the creature very feminine lips and suggested a scene where a prisoner tries to kiss it, and the xenomorph plunges its tongue down his throat and rips his insides out through his mouth. The execs and David Fincher collectively went "What the gently caress, man?" and toned everything down, maintaining Giger's cat-like design but dropping the sexual stuff.

As for the aforementioned scene of the xenomorph eating in Alien 3 though, it's literally just a dread prisoner on the ground with the xenomorph on top seemingly eating out of his stomach/torso. It doesn't look remotely sexual.

In general though, I think the sexual overtones in this franchise are generally blown out of proportion. There's a very valid reading for it in the original Alien, but none of the sequels really tread that path.

Yeah, I think the scene of Lambert's death in Alien was actually very risque for the viewing public and Hollywood at the time. As a kid I didn't even understand it until I was older.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
That boss battle is terrible. It's like no thought went into it at all, the queen just tries to follow the player and gets stuck on all the geometry in the hangar.

I wonder how rushed they were to get this out on the market.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

pixelbaron posted:

I wonder how rushed they were to get this out on the market.

Well this game has been in development since 2006 and was officially unveiled for the first time in February of 2008, so who knows what the gently caress Gearbox has been doing.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

Somebody please tell me that Hicks isn't really alive and that ending spoiler was just a joke because I can't believe for one second that Gearbox would seriously do something so utterly retarded.

A cutscene where he's explaining what happens is: Weyland-Yutani pulled him out of cryosleep and imprisoned him. They then ejected the other cryotubes. A marine asks him if that's true then who was the body in the tube and I swear to Christ his exact words are "Well that's a longer story", he changes the subject and that's all the explanation that is given.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Aliens eat highschool teenages according to AV|P:R

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

zVxTeflon posted:

Aliens eat highschool teenages according to AV|P:R

Actually they facerape pregnant women to make more aliens. Or whatever that garbage was. If they had just made the original AvP comic series a movie it would have been awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm not gonna lie, seeing all the negative posts in this thread is making me steadily lower my expectations for this game, but I just saw a TV commercial for the game just now and it got me all hyped up again. :shobon:

Like yeah this game appears to have serious problems, and I watched the ending and I have a lot of misgivings about it (although given the final "boss battle" from the Marine campaign from AvPClassic, or the Marine campaign from AvP2010, it's pretty par for the course).

I did get a laugh that despite Randy Pitchford saying he was ignoring AvP wholesale, the ending referenced the first AvP movie AND the AvP2010 videogame.

I suspect that despite its problems, I'm still going to have a lot of fun with this game. It'll be a similar experience to other recent FPS games that got mediocre-to-bad reviews but I still ended up having fun with, like Duke Nukem Forever (although that had a LOT of problems), Singularity, Wolfenstein, abd AvP2010.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not gonna lie, seeing all the negative posts in this thread is making me steadily lower my expectations for this game, but I just saw a TV commercial for the game just now and it got me all hyped up again. :shobon:

Like yeah this game appears to have serious problems, and I watched the ending and I have a lot of misgivings about it (although given the final "boss battle" from the Marine campaign from AvPClassic, or the Marine campaign from AvP2010, it's pretty par for the course).

I did get a laugh that despite Randy Pitchford saying he was ignoring AvP wholesale, the ending referenced the first AvP movie AND the AvP2010 videogame.

I suspect that despite its problems, I'm still going to have a lot of fun with this game. It'll be a similar experience to other recent FPS games that got mediocre-to-bad reviews but I still ended up having fun with, like Duke Nukem Forever (although that had a LOT of problems), Singularity, Wolfenstein, abd AvP2010.

The only thing that can save it for me at this point is multiplayer.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Well, this looks awful. What a shame.

On the other hand, if you are in Australia and you want it on either 360 or PS3, head down to your local EB/JB, as they are selling them early.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
I remember buying an Aliens Vs Predator comic as a kid that seemed to take place sometime between the 19 and 1800's. The human hunter was a dapper dude with a mustache and stovepipe hat or something like that, I remember being really into it and i'd like to read the whole series and re-read this particular issue, does anyone here know which one i'm talking about? TIA

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

tehsid posted:

Well, this looks awful. What a shame.

On the other hand, if you are in Australia and you want it on either 360 or PS3, head down to your local EB/JB, as they are selling them early.

I Know I cancelled my pre-order due to the videos that were posted, but I have a hankering to actually go down and buy it and see just how horrible it is first hand.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dave Mustard posted:

I remember buying an Aliens Vs Predator comic as a kid that seemed to take place sometime between the 19 and 1800's. The human hunter was a dapper dude with a mustache and stovepipe hat or something like that, I remember being really into it and i'd like to read the whole series and re-read this particular issue, does anyone here know which one i'm talking about? TIA
Are you sure it was an AvP comic? Because that sound a lot like a Predator-specific comic called 'Predator: Nemesis'. The basic gist is that the Victorian British urban legend creature of Spring-Heeled Jack is actually a Predator.

That's actually reasonably common in Predator comics, where mythological/folklore creatures from various cultures throughout history are actually Predators hunting people.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

That's not it at all. Hyper masculinity was unable to re-assert a patriachal model because the aliens had reached the logical conclusion of the marines and beat them at their own game, it took a woman (Ripley) aping machsimo to reassert the father-figure as familial authority and destroy the alternative matriachal ideal the aliens and their queen representated.
Thats what made aliens a good film. Any way to unlock this early on Origin?

Aight, you're right, now what? If you don't think most of the viewers didn't get something along these lines then I dunno what to say. Actually what I said was exactly tying into what the gently caress you just said so uh cool I guess.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Are you sure it was an AvP comic? Because that sound a lot like a Predator-specific comic called 'Predator: Nemesis'. The basic gist is that the Victorian British urban legend creature of Spring-Heeled Jack is actually a Predator.

That's actually reasonably common in Predator comics, where mythological/folklore creatures from various cultures throughout history are actually Predators hunting people.

Aha, that's the one. Thanks. What a badass comic.

fake edit:

http://youtu.be/Vf6OHZFUMrw

Well, remorseful buyers, THERE does appear to be ONE saving grace. There seems to be a hardcore multiplayer mode with no hud where the aliens actually seem capable of loving you up. Check the video, it's about all the hope I've got left for the game.

Lizame Bizrutal
Mar 19, 2002
I've watched a bunch of Colonial Marines let's plays now, and I can see where some of the criticism is right on. I am still going to play this for a while, and I think it would be wise to play thru the campaign on the hardest setting possible. That might make it more challenging. I think this is one of those games where it helps to be a big fan of the series. That means it will probably be pretty fun for me.

I said something about DayZ earlier...

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think you can stomach awful production values more than most can.

In defense of DayZ now, I was sucked into that world much more than any game in my life. I'd be playing a lot more now, but hackers have made it very unrewarding to play. I've had tense situations from that game that gave me physical reactions (fast beating heart, genuine fear usually from other players not zombies). I know a lot of other people have had the same experience. I doubt anything will come close to that for me for many years, and I cannot wait for the Stand Alone version to get here.

Lizame Bizrutal
Mar 19, 2002

Dave Mustard posted:

fake edit:

Well, remorseful buyers, THERE does appear to be ONE saving grace. There seems to be a hardcore multiplayer mode with no hud where the aliens actually seem capable of loving you up. Check the video, it's about all the hope I've got left for the game.

Like the no HUD whatsoever. The Aliens should not be that hard to kill. Every time you saw an impact in the movie, they basically exploded. So, I would like to see them faster, but easier to take down. Just my .02

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Dave Mustard posted:

The video starts off with an alien player getting the drop on a marine at extremely close range. The marine player then melees the alien and kills it with a single shot from a handgun.

Everything in this game is terrible :negative:

Lizame Bizrutal
Mar 19, 2002
It could have been wounded already. Jesus people.

Edit : I watched it carefully, the other player hit it with a shotgun, and I'm unsure if the POV character actually hit it at all.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Lizame Bizrutal posted:

Like the no HUD whatsoever. The Aliens should not be that hard to kill. Every time you saw an impact in the movie, they basically exploded. So, I would like to see them faster, but easier to take down. Just my .02

Agreed, this is why my original thoughts were that if they were going to keep the numbers down to 4 vs 4 (or 6 vs 6 whatever) that the aliens should get at LEAST 3-4 aliens to follow them around like attack dogs when they attacked. That way the deadliness of the guns and acidity and numbers of the aliens could be preserved while the players could provide the role of the alien intelligence. Or hell, if they simply gave the aliens a speed increase and made them kill a marine in 1-2 swipes they'd be scary enough, or even something like, if you come up behind a marine you can use your inner mouth to rip out a chunk of their skull to one shot kill them.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Kraustofski posted:

(people are playing Dayz- the game that literally has permadeath where you have to start from scratch if you lose)

DayZ is, yeah, a mod. Are enough people playing it to support a full release? Not an obsessive to every detail, willing to deal with any fumbling issue crowd, but the sheer numbers required to support a multi-platform release? Tons of people will latch onto anything licensed Aliens; ounces will grapple with a permadeath game.

Do you understand the difference between a subpar Aliens game and a niche mod?

Am I insane?

This game looks subpar, no doubt. But it's going to be a profitable subpar. The Alien license does not, frankly, fit games. I mean, someone upthread suggested a game where people dealt with the general upkeep of a spacestation, with a single alien onboard, where dealing with the alien in any context meant death and a restart. People, throughout, have said that a game where mowing down waves of aliens would cheapen the experience. Someone else claimed that the game was a Halo/CoD knockoff, not acknowledging that there is no similarity between the two.

Hardcore games have a small market. CoD knock-offs have a moderate market. Licensed games have a moderate market, on the upper threshold. Am I missing some aspect that makes this game worth bitching about?

Edit: This game does not, to be clear, look great. Serviceable. Perfunctory. But what is expected?

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 9, 2013

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Read the thread and maybe you'll find out, maybe it's not insanity and more that you've skipped all the posts of people complaining about how bad this game is and WHY they think it's bad even compared to what it's attempting to ape (Call of Duty clones and Halo).

And the example of the fictional game I described was only to show that an Aliens game COULD be made, not that it ever will be or that it would ever see a console release- especially not on this generation of systems.

Saint-X posted:

DayZ is, yeah, a mod. Are enough people playing it to support a full release? Not an obsessive to every detail, willing to deal with any fumbling issue crowd, but the sheer numbers required to support a multi-platform release? Tons of people will latch onto anything licensed Aliens; ounces will grapple with a permadeath game.

I'd love to touch up on this little nugget here as well- DayZ is a game that actually did sell a shitton of copies. How is that possible for only being a mod, you might say. Here's how: sales of Arma 2 were practically in freefall and then suddenly it became one of the bestselling games on Steam practically overnight. It's not that these kids wanted to play super hardcore military simulator, no, they were getting it seriously to just install and play DayZ... the game is so profitable that the makers of Arma are publishing an official DayZ game with their engine- yeah, I'd count it as something that players are willing to deal with. Could this generation of consoles play it? loving hell no, but the next one might.

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 9, 2013

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Saint-X posted:

Do you understand the difference between a subpar Aliens game and a niche mod?

Am I insane?

This game looks subpar, no doubt. But it's going to be a profitable subpar. The Alien license does not, frankly, fit games. I mean, someone upthread suggested a game where people dealt with the general upkeep of a spacestation, with a single alien onboard, where dealing with the alien in any context meant death and a restart. People, throughout, have said that a game where mowing down waves of aliens would cheapen the experience. Someone else claimed that the game was a Halo/CoD knockoff, not acknowledging that there is no similarity between the two.

Hardcore games have a small market. CoD knock-offs have a moderate market. Licensed games have a moderate market, on the upper threshold. Am I missing some aspect that makes this game worth bitching about?

Edit: This game does not, to be clear, look great. Serviceable. Perfunctory. But what is expected?

Let's make it simple, Randy Pitchford is Burke, and Sega is Weyland-Yutani. We've essentially been lied to.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

No, I've read most of these posts, most of these pages, in some sort of odd "I've got time to kill waiting from responses from grad schools" time period, and the general atmosphere seems to be a group of people who all seem to agree that they want the same thing, without offering a marketable solution. This game looks worse, definitely, than even the most recent AvP game; even the weird Obsidian RPG looked better.

I can deal with most of the complaints; can relate the consistent hyperbole down to a reasonable level. But someone equating it to DayZ, implying that commercial release of a licensed game has anything to do with a niche mod hoping to become a Real Game someday, really confuses me.

This game looks, definitely, like it was made to satisfy a moderate expectation of profit. It is not survival horror. You are a Colonial Marine. Do you expect survival horror? I'm, really, just curious, if anything like a sizable group of people think there is any room, or reason, to make a game where xenomorphs simply eviscerate you, and that's that.

You press start.

You open a new save.

You aim your cursor in directions.

You die.

You start again, against an indefatigable, omnipresent, invisible, menace.

Do you think your sixty bucks have been well spent?

Again, I agree this game looks bummy. Less than AvP, less than the recent AvP--even worse than AvP2. But this thread is some masturbatory thing at this point, like what the MGR:R thread is pointing at the rest of the internet for being.

Kraustofski posted:

I'd love to touch up on this little nugget here as well- DayZ is a game that actually did sell a shitton of copies. How is that possible for only being a mod, you might say. Here's how: sales of Arma 2 were practically in freefall and then suddenly it became one of the bestselling games on Steam practically overnight. It's not that these kids wanted to play super hardcore military simulator, no, they were getting it seriously to just install and play DayZ... the game is so profitable that the makers of Arma are publishing an official DayZ game with their engine- yeah, I'd count it as something that players are willing to deal with. Could this generation of consoles play it? loving hell no, but the next one might.

I will buy that, definitely well. I've never tried to claim that this was, you know, a brilliant level game. It looks perfectly serviceable relative to what it is--a licensed game, intended to sell to people who like the license. Derivative in every sense. But has DayZ made enough money to cover buying a license, marketing on three platforms, and all the etc? As far as I know, DayZ was intended to be a separate release from early in its development, and the reception simply spearheaded that. The market does, yeah, exist.

But does anyone really want a singleplayer Aliens game where if they see an alien, they are dead and start over?

The animations look janky at best. The plot could be polished to rough.

But do you really think a licensed game could be a roguelike-ish game and flourish?

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 9, 2013

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Saint-X posted:

The Alien license does not, frankly, fit games.

This is pretty dumb to say because they already made two awesome Alien games that still hold up well enough today.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

What kinda happened in reality is people wanted to believe Gearbox could make another great game. A lot of us were sorely disappointed, not Duke Nukem Forever levels of disappointed mind you but we're still hurting after that one really.

Saint-X posted:

niche complaints

The game I described was an idea for how an Aliens game could work, stop bringing it up like I actually expected Gearbox of all people to make such a thing. It could be a Left4Dead ripoff even and it would have ended up being way more fun and enjoyable than what we ended up with. Also... dying and starting again over and over, did you like never play the original AVP? Dying was practically part of the game and having to go back and redo a whole level was pretty much normal from what I remember.

Seriously I gotta find some youtube videos of the facehuggers from the first two AVP games- each hug to the face was pretty much a game over and reload. There were no quicktime events to save yourself or anything just an instant "You're Dead" screen and a facehugger penis waving in your face until you hit the Esc key.

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 9, 2013

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

the black husserl posted:

This is pretty dumb to say because they already made two awesome Alien games that still hold up well enough today.

Two and a half! I'd say AvP was a great game, and AvP 2 and the recent one combined to one and a half, if you ignore the weaker parts. The atmosphere, though, is based around being a thing that can be devoured at random, with no chance of recovery--and that's a mode of storytelling that video games just haven't caught up to, quite. The shooting things and feeling awesome works great; but that's only the high parts, which don't last as far as the narrative goes. What terrifies people in the Alien films is someone they care about dying, permanently. How do you recreate that in a video game? How do you maintain that tension, while also servicing the player's desire to be king-hell badass?

Kraustofski posted:

The game I described was an idea for how an Aliens game could work, stop bringing it up like I actually expected Gearbox of all people to make such a thing. It could be a Left4Dead ripoff even and it would have ended up being way more fun and enjoyable than what we ended up with. Also... dying and starting again over and over, did you like never play the original AVP? Dying was practically part of the game and having to go back and redo a whole level was pretty much normal from what I remember.

(So as to not double-post.)

There is a huge difference between dying and retrying, and the sort of DayZ/Dwarf Fortress/rougelike permadeath argument that bothered me in the first place. Dying in the former sense means starting at the beginning of the level/from my last quicksave. Dying in the latter means beginning from the beginning of a character, and dealing with everything again. I can accept all the nitpicky poo poo that's come from this thread in the last several days; this game doesn't deliver what it should. It looks terrible. But expecting that it was a pure roguelike sounds like pure gibberish to me, and like nothing anyone should expect from a property owned by 20th Century Fox.

Also, no one should trust any Gearbox game that isn't Borderlands. OpFor was great, but Borderlands is the only thing they've done close to decent since then. Good as it was, nothing in either game says that Gearbox knew how to handle a tense game where survival was actually a thing that was on the line.

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 9, 2013

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dave Mustard posted:

fake edit:

Wait, did that marine just shoot both of that Xeno's arms off with a handgun round each, at about 0:10 in?

But yeah, I'm not expecting a huge jump above what AVP 2010 was like (especially not after reading this thread! :smith:) with single-player at least, but has anyone seen any/much multiplayer gameplay from the aliens' perspective? Like, can you still seamlessly move from floor to wall to ceiling, etc. like in AVP 2010? (well, once you switched the option on, anyway) Just wanna know if I can sprint+corkscrew along narrow corridors at marines to get behind and maul marines, in the event that I need to attack them head-on, like in AVP. Also, I certainly hope that the aliens in multiplayer get unlimited (or at least a good few) lives, and that the marines only get one, sort of like with L4D (minus the being-rescued-from-closets/toilet-cubicles bit)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Saint-X posted:

But does anyone really want a singleplayer Aliens game where if they see an alien, they are dead and start over?

You're jumping to extremes. People just want an Aliens game where they actually feel threatened, as opposed to the only risk of death coming from the player falling asleep due to boredom. Plenty of people in this thread have referenced the original Dead Space as a prime example of what an Aliens game should be like, for example.

Of course, that's not to say that an extremely difficult "You will die" style game could not work, because you only have to look at how much of a tremendous success Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have been to see that there is actually a very large and profitable market of gamers who want challenging and sometimes even punishing games, both on consoles and PC.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

The game I imagined would fit the Aliens setting to a T also kinda resembles a game in development called Routine- http://www.routinegame.com/ Features permadeath and exploration, probably not a whole lot of shooting or combat though, but what they describe as the hook to get people into enjoying their own mortality is kinda important. Survival Horror has kinda fallen a long way from its roots in that nobody fears death anymore, you can just quicktime event your way out of it or Duke Nukem Mighty BootTM all the monsters and by the end of whatever game you're playing you usually have enough ammo and BFG rounds to kill everything in the game twice. I'll readily admit I'm in the minority in thinking a game where you have to start from the beginning upon death is a fun experience but I really do think there's a large population of gamers who are kind of tired of seeing games like this fall on its rear end trying to be something it shouldn't- that is the setting of a survival horror but with the playstyle of a boring and run down FPS with very little quality control anywhere in it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

MUFFlNS posted:

You're jumping to extremes. People just want an Aliens game where they actually feel threatened, as opposed to the only risk of death coming from the player falling asleep due to boredom. Plenty of people in this thread have referenced the original Dead Space as a prime example of what an Aliens game should be like, for example.

Of course, that's not to say that an extremely difficult "You will die" style game could not work, because you only have to look at how much of a tremendous success Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have been to see that there is actually a very large and profitable market of gamers who want challenging and sometimes even punishing games, both on consoles and PC.

I'm not jumping to extremes anymore than a few of the options posited did; someone in this thread suggested a game where you were a non-marine member of an exploratory ship which dealt with an alien, where you were ill equipped and would, definitely, die if you faced the thing. They allowed some room for running away, but how well did that work for anyone outside of Sigourney Weaver in the first one? I'd, really, hoped to just criticize the extremes some had shifted toward, in order to figure out exactly what people wanted from an Alien game at this point in time.

I'm not at all troubled by people wishing for a more difficult game in the franchise. The LP footage with PMCs looks like poo poo, no doubt--especially the part where an alien bumrushes the player character, ignoring the opposing side, and the friendly NPCs in the game. Outside of that, the animations are hosed, and the fanservice doesn't really pay off either. Ít's just a weird position to observe this thread, where disparate parties call for disparate ends, and everyone begrudges the (at best, mediocre looking) finished product a studio (who does their best in overkill-style situations) has put out, and then shifts to praising their own, often narrow and "hardcore" options as to how the game should be. I think a lot of us just wished Gearbox had made a great, or good-with-insight, Alien FPS. They didn't. Now, all we can do is hope that it has aspects we can deal with until another studio builds another game that lets us down in different ways.

Also, Routine looks loving awesome, and I hope my PC can run it when it comes out.

I never meant to imply that a difficult Alien-derived game wouldn't be great. I just felt that, all told, the thread had shifted from legitimate complaints to this odd sort of well-wishing for a major studio to put out a ball punch of game on the back of a major license, and didn't think that that argument seemed up to the general standards I'd expected from Somethingawful.

At the same time, it seems Atlus made 4.15 million from Demon's Souls. I think this game will make at least that much, with no soul put into it. That, really, kinda sucks.

Gambit from the X-Men fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 9, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Saint-X posted:

At the same time, it seems Atlus made 4.15 million from Demon's Souls. I think this game will make at least that much, with no soul put into it. That, really, kinda sucks.

You might be surprised. AVP (2010) sold a little shy of 2 million copies, and I don't think it was as apparent that the game was a turd prior to release. I'd be sort of surprised if this game got anywhere near 4.15 million copies.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Saint-X posted:

Two and a half! I'd say AvP was a great game, and AvP 2 and the recent one combined to one and a half, if you ignore the weaker parts. The atmosphere, though, is based around being a thing that can be devoured at random, with no chance of recovery--and that's a mode of storytelling that video games just haven't caught up to, quite. The shooting things and feeling awesome works great; but that's only the high parts, which don't last as far as the narrative goes. What terrifies people in the Alien films is someone they care about dying, permanently. How do you recreate that in a video game? How do you maintain that tension, while also servicing the player's desire to be king-hell badass?

Nobody is scared or tense simply because we care about the characters, sure the characters are cool and we get introduced to them and find people we like, aside from Ripley who we are familiar with and the obvious Newt. We emphasize with humans and the fear of the unknown, it's not simply the characters, that's why the Aliens Trilogy game can be quite scary even though its played from the first person perspective and seemingly only features the main character. The fact that there are so many zombie games is a testament to the reason why Aliens is such a good set up for a game because Aliens essentially operate a lot like zombies except with far more cunning and agility.

There's a whole genre of survival horror games that have managed it. I guess it's simply a matter of keeping the player on his toes, not giving him too much a leg up on his opponent and not making the ai flat out retarded and predictable. I feel tense during Dead Space, it plays like a shooter, I can feel badass one moment and terrified the next or simply on edge for a while, but I still feel vulnerable and scared, the game keeps things tense by varying them and throwing things at you in different combinations. The best balance of badassery and terror? Maybe the first time I played Resident Evil 4 and made it to the village, started to deal with the horde of villagers, then the chainsaw guy, ohhhh gently caress. Where does the game start to fall flat? When you begin to routinely dispatch the enemies in the same ways (pop pop kneecap, suplex, NEXXXXT) and it simply becomes tedious rather than tense.
This is why we hate what we're seeing in colonial marines, predictable ai that runs straight at you, and not even in a threatening fast pace and again, and again, and again, with no variation. From the first 10 minutes players are dispatching xenos without any thinking, worry, planning or variation and will continue to do so in the same way for the what appears to be the rest of the game. There is nothing to adapt to, it's as simple as can be, you don't have to adapt to running out of ammo, enemy behavior, changing scenarios, nothing, point and shoot is the name of the game the whole way through, and that is why we hate it. "How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!" is the kind of situation we want to have instead we got a 'bug hunt' and they attack with the intelligence of cockroaches.

An excerpt from Kotaku featuring a quote from Randy Pitchford:

But Gearbox doesn't want to turn the fearsome xenomorphs of Alien and Alien3 into easily-swattable bugs. "We're going to need to defeat some things but we are also going to need to feel the deadliness of them," Pitchford said. "The actual game is pretty lethal. The skill test is anticipating or reacting. If you are good at anticipating and reacting you will be killing lots of xenos and you will be effective at it. You have the tools to do it. But when they get you, they frickin' get you. You'll die. You'll die a lot. I don't know if we're as far as Dark Souls. We're still tuning it, but it's going to be pretty brutal.

Now, that, is a joke. Are enemies in Dark Souls terribly smart? No. Are they deadly? Yes. Do they require some thinking, timing, skill and learning to fight them? Yes. Does this keep the game tense? Yes.
Are the xenos in Colonial Marines even on the same level as your basic skeleton ghoul in Dark Souls? Not even close, and that's loving sad because Aliens are the only enemy they had to get right for christ sake.

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, did that marine just shoot both of that Xeno's arms off with a handgun round each, at about 0:10 in?

I believe the player to his right has a shotgun and shoots and kills him, turning him into easily gib into pieces mode allowing the guy playing to pop his other arm off in the preceding shot.

Here's an Alien game I found that actually made me jump while watching the video all while using minimal art and sound assets and being totally homemade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2a2qedTg4

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Randy Pitchford being full of poo poo? #wow #whoa

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

GUI posted:

Randy Pitchford being full of poo poo? #wow #whoa

How long will it take for him to say people who criticize the game are being "e-terrorists"? I'm not giving him more than a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Major Isoor posted:

As was noted earlier, it's probably the marine to the right using a shotgun point-blank that did that.

• Locked thread