Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hotline Miami feels really underdeveloped. Like, after playing it for ~15 minutes, you've seen the whole game.

And that's almost literally true too, since it's really short.

Also, the final boss fight was a bunch of cheap nonsense. Before I knew the cutscene in the middle of the fight ended, the ninja chick had already killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phobophilia posted:

Seriously, they should have at least switched around the lethal-nonlethal control schemes, with a quick button tap killing enemies, long button press (riskier) giving a better outcome with a silent takedown.

Or better yet not even have a takedown button because "I win" buttons are poor design as they don't reward skill. Thief and DX1 made approach someone from the back and you drat well hoped you judged your melee distance right.

Switching the button scheme would've been incredibly in-theme too, with Jensen having to think before acting lest his newfound strength takes over and he snaps a guy's neck by accident. I suppose folks would've complained about a single accidental button press ruining their Pacifist run though. :(

I think the takedown system would've been fine if it worked like it does in pretty much every other stealth game that has them, making you vulnerable during them instead of warping you and your victim to the Fiddy Zone and performing an overly elaborate takedown that is inexplicably completely silent if non-lethal.

Heck, that would've been another way to ramp up the challenge in a natural way. Lethal takedowns should be the silent ones since all you need to do is slit their throats and off you go. Non-lethal should be noisier because there's a struggle. Or non-lethal could take longer to perform... Or...

Didn't the game have proper melee in the leaked beta build? I wonder if they originally had more classical takedown options instead of the one-button system.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Feb 9, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I honestly got surprised when Adam stabbed Barrett in the face with his blade during the end-of-boss cutscene. Where the hell did that thing come from? Oh right, that thing from all the trailers.

I don't think I've even seen all the lethal takedowns, maybe I should youtube it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Phobophilia posted:

I don't think I've even seen all the lethal takedowns, maybe I should youtube it.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6eeeq_2TE

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Alright just beat Dark Souls, man that's a good game with a ton of parts that really drag it down.

- Holy poo poo stop making me run through parts over and over again, it's particularly bad with the Four Kings (gotta run from Firelink Shrine down the stairs, down the other stairs, take an elevator down, run down the stone part near the elevator, run down the two wooden planks, roll past the two ghosts, go to the right before the stairs, fall on to an archway you can't really see while walking forward, fall down on to the ground from there, run up the stairs, rolling past the big dudes with swords each time, down that narrow stone archway in to the fog gate, then if you didn't realize you can drop straight down in to the abyss from there which I figured out quickly, run down all those steps to drop in to the Abyss. All this each time you try to fight the boss, which is for some reason quite hard to do if you did the rest of the game dodging and playing the range game but ridiculously easy if you just put on stone armour and constantly wail on them). For the Bed of Chaos there's two bonfires and either one requires running about the same distance past a bunch of enemies in to the fog gate, slide down the slope, then get killed a few times before you understand both what the attacks are and how to avoid them, what to do, and then how to get on to the branch on the bottom, which doesn't even extend straight out towards where you came, so you have to angle yourself coming in from the right. All this each time you fight that boss, I quite liked the idea of the boss really but holy poo poo that gets tedious..

- The UI design is really annoying in a bunch of places. Like you can't pause the game so let's hope you don't have to answer the phone or go to the door or anything, or maybe the batteries in your controller die while you're doing something dangerous and you die. And then the weapons menu in the inventory/equip doesn't show you what any of the stats mean (yes you can read them by pressing the button that shows the details page), even though there's room at the top to put a bunch of labels. Along the same line, the stats it shows you for shields is the damage you do while attacking with the shield which is a thing I didn't even know you could do nor why that is the most important stat for that, I went a while thinking the number it showed (physical attack) was how good the shield was, when really what you want is the resistances/stability that show up in the details page.

- Holy poo poo stop making me run the same sequences over, seriously I can already do that part of the dungeon/level, stop making me run past enemies I can easily beat to get to the boss that I know nothing about.

- The game doesn't do a good job of letting you know things you should know, like say, for a game in a genre where levelling up is usually a good way of getting your character better and making it easier that levelling usually isn't that useful, upgrading your weapons however has a tremendous effect, and it isn't even called upgrading, you "reinforce" or modify a weapon to upgrade it.

- The beginning is really the least interesting part of the game. You start out in this boring, gray castle asylum thing, then make your way to a very big boring gray castle thing, then you beat that and go to the boring gray/beige parish of this castle, then you go to the sewers, which at least has a bunch of nice colours and is somewhat interesting but at the same time isn't that great of a level, then you go to Blighttown, and everyone hates Blighttown. But then after you get past all this you get to parts like Darkroot Basin/Forest with the crystal golems and the big ol' hydra, you get to Sen's Fortress with the cool man-serpent things and the traps and all that, then you get to Anor Londo, and Duke's Archives, and Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. The game has a bunch of interesting settings and ideas and enemies, but so much of it comes after the parts that really don't show off what the game has to offer. The game really starts getting visually interesting in my opinion at around past Sen's Fortress, and that's like 15 hours in to the game.

- The resistances and weaknesses really don't make a lot of sense and are pretty counterintuitive. Take the Demon Firesage for example, he is in the area you get to after draining a lava lake, a whole bunch of fire-breathing and otherwise firey enemies stand between the entrance to the Demon Ruins and his boss room, after the fight you go an area where you have to run across a lake of lava to get to another bunch of fire breathing enemies, what is his weakness? Well fire isn't one of them, fire weapons work just as well as everything else. What does his fire-breathing attack do? Apparently it's magic, a magic shield will apparently do better against his attacks than a fire shield. How about all those things made of stone? Well apparently they're weak to lightning, which for some reason makes sense in the story (apparently Gwyn beat the stone-scaled dragons with lightning spears and magic) but otherwise I have no idea why I'm expected to think "use lightning" when seeing something made of stone. There's not many times you can even really apply this knowledge, the game only has "physical", "fire", "lightning", and "magic", and there's not really a whole lot of times I'll see an enemy or boss in the game and know what it's weakness is. Even then it doesn't often matter, by this time I had a lightning halberd upgraded pretty far and that did more damage against fire-weak bosses than my somewhat-upgraded Quelaag's Furysword.

- The developers must have run out of time for the last third or so of the game because at some point almost all the items you get from dungeons are just soul items, which comes at a time when souls are both very easy to get and not very useful. The first two thirds of the game let you get all these cool weapons and spells and armour and stuff from corpses and chests, then you hit a point and you might as well not pick up items.

- The engine doesn't seem to be made very well, on console you get a lot of slowdown in a bunch of areas that don't really seem that graphically impressive from a rendering standpoint, like if you go in Blighttown to the slimes and look back at the bonfire the game slows down to a crawl and all you can see is......nothing.

- Blighttown, probably better on PC but what a pain in the rear end on console.

- The game sometimes is just very misleading, there's a ring that's description is something to the effect of "improves balance in areas of poor footing" which sounds to me like it would make walking on thin ledges easier but really what it does is let you walk in mud as if it was normal ground, also this makes an area much less of a pain in the rear end and the way of finding the ring is finding a semi-hidden area near a shortcut, making a weird jump on to a platform, walking over to a raven's nest and rolling up to a ball, which transports you to the area you begin the game in. Also one of the starting items is a ring that sounds like it will regenerate your health, when really it just gives you a small boost in HP that you don't really need.

- The difference in armour isn't really much of a difference, there doesn't seem to be much of a tradeoff in armour (as opposed to shields and weapons), it kind of boils down to picking the armour that has the best stats overall (and the armour usually just has the same relative stats across the board) for the amount of weight you want to take on.

That was a lot of writing about Dark Souls so I'll balance it out with some other games.

Jagged Alliance 2

The game was made ages ago and only runs at like 640x480 at 16bit colour depth without the fan patch. With the

Jagged Alliance 2 1.13

fanpatch, you can get to a max of 1024x768 at 16bit, or with the recent SVN builds, normal resolutions......but still at 16bit colour depth, also the patch for extended resolutions is kinda wonky and most of the resolutions only work in windowed mode and doesn't really tell you this.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're the only person I've ever seen who liked Bed of Chaos.

To me what drags Dark Souls down is the entire second act after Londo, I enjoyed everything up until that point then its just annoying lovely gimmicks, need to be cursed or us an item that curses me otherwise I can't hurt anything, dark as gently caress dungeon where I can't see a goddamn thing, floor is lava with bonus dino asses and the library filled with to the brim with enemies that hit like mack trucks, being buffed by spell casting pricks in perfect places to snipe you.

And then all the bosses are a joke, it felt like a huge slog.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Alteisen posted:

You're the only person I've ever seen who liked Bed of Chaos.

To me what drags Dark Souls down is the entire second act after Londo, I enjoyed everything up until that point then its just annoying lovely gimmicks, need to be cursed or us an item that curses me otherwise I can't hurt anything, dark as gently caress dungeon where I can't see a goddamn thing, floor is lava with bonus dino asses and the library filled with to the brim with enemies that hit like mack trucks, being buffed by spell casting pricks in perfect places to snipe you.

And then all the bosses are a joke, it felt like a huge slog.

I don't like the Bed of Chaos, I like the idea of Bed of Chaos. It's a neat puzzle boss where you never really fight it, first you accidentally break it's shackles, unleashing it's more powerful form, then you let it break open an opening for you to go and strike at it's heart. Three hits of any weapon (even fists) and you've won.

Actually fighting it however is just a pain in the rear end, what with all the running to get back there and being pushed in to holes and the AoE attacks getting you when you're dodging the other ones and then once you've done the obvious first two parts, breaking the orbs, you have to figure out that you want to dive in to one of the holes on to a small branch to beat it.

It's a neat idea that was executed badly.

And yeah the boss fights after Londo do get weirdly easy, beat a few in a row on my first try while it took me ages to even get to the second Bell Gargoyle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

piratepilates posted:

And yeah the boss fights after Londo do get weirdly easy, beat a few in a row on my first try while it took me ages to even get to the second Bell Gargoyle.

I think the developers just had a hard time topping O&S. That fight is incredibly unfair and punishing. It really forces you to adapt to the weaknesses of the engine (camera :argh:) or grind your weapons to max. How could anything be a real challenge after that?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Also I think by the time you beat O & S you're a goddamn remorseless killing machine. You know that anything this game throws at you you can beat, plus you're all hopped up on modified weapons and sick as hell armour.

For content, the fact that you can effectively lose a DOTA 2 match within 10-15 minutes, but then you gotta spend another 20 dicking around until the opposing team finally kills you. It is terrible, terrible game design, but I don't think DOTA would work any other way.

I want a concede button but I understand why they don't put one in. (People who play DOTA are dicks.)

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

piratepilates posted:

Dark Souls stuff

I disagree that most of this drags down the game in the same sense that, say, rubber-banding in Mario Kart "drags" the game down. Like... there aren't many good arguments for a mechanic like that. When you play a game, you expect some sort of fairness, or rule you can rely on. By that standard, Dark Souls is grueling, repetitive, and you can't count on your knowledge from similar games; but I stand by that those are features. A lot of what you typed up is what the game marketed itself on. Just my two cents there; it's entirely understandable why you, or anyone, would hate all that.

The inability to pause DOES suck, however. I assume they felt they had to do that to avoid various problems with online play. poo poo though, stuff happens where you have to pause. I die more to bosses and invaders because of my cat than anything else. For a game that lets you save and quit anywhere you like, it's surprising you can't pause it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Captain Lavender posted:

I disagree that most of this drags down the game in the same sense that, say, rubber-banding in Mario Kart "drags" the game down. Like... there aren't many good arguments for a mechanic like that. When you play a game, you expect some sort of fairness, or rule you can rely on. By that standard, Dark Souls is grueling, repetitive, and you can't count on your knowledge from similar games; but I stand by that those are features. A lot of what you typed up is what the game marketed itself on. Just my two cents there; it's entirely understandable why you, or anyone, would hate all that.

The inability to pause DOES suck, however. I assume they felt they had to do that to avoid various problems with online play. poo poo though, stuff happens where you have to pause. I die more to bosses and invaders because of my cat than anything else. For a game that lets you save and quit anywhere you like, it's surprising you can't pause it.

"Quit to Menu" is the drat "Pause" button. I personally immediately liked it because it put into stark contrast the fact that in most games you can just pause, completely change equipment, chug two dozen potions and then go right back to combat when the draugr you're hacking on has no such luxury.

To attempt to get this off Dark Souls again, I was kind of excited when I unlocked NiGHTS in the new long-named Sega racer. But then I got to the character selection screen:

JESUS loving CHRIST WHAT THE HELL IS THAT loving THING KILL IT

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xoidanor posted:

I think the developers just had a hard time topping O&S. That fight is incredibly unfair and punishing. It really forces you to adapt to the weaknesses of the engine (camera :argh:) or grind your weapons to max. How could anything be a real challenge after that?

You should never have to grind for anything ever, even weapons.

I like O&S because they where the culmination of everything you had learned up until that point, most of the time you fight one boss, now there's 2 of them, you really had to be careful and strategize to take them down, plus there's lots of tactics you could use, its largely the reason I imagine most people kill Orstein first as its easier to separate him from Smough since he's so fast.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alteisen posted:

You should never have to grind for anything ever, even weapons.

Leveling weapons make an incredible difference. I died to them with a +6 halberd and downed them with a +4 Lifehunter. With the Lifehunter I could just skip the first phase entirely by going balls offensive versus Orstein and killing him in 4 hits. The second phase is a joke by comparison as you're down to 1 opponent and no longer have to wrestle with the lovely camera controls. :v:

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Like pretty much everyone else I'm loving Far Cry 3, but "Hold X to loot body" and "Hold X to swap weapons with said body unless you manage to manoeuvre to the exact angle we decide will give the loot prompt" is pretty annoying

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

apsouthern posted:

Like pretty much everyone else I'm loving Far Cry 3, but "Hold X to loot body" and "Hold X to swap weapons with said body unless you manage to manoeuvre to the exact angle we decide will give the loot prompt" is pretty annoying

Yeah, the hitbox for looting is so goddamn tiny and it makes no sense.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

apsouthern posted:

Reminds me of Mass Effect 3, sprint, take cover and the revive button are all mapped to the same button(A on Xbox, spacebar on PC).

You can imagine the problem when a teammate goes down near a piece of cover.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Alteisen posted:

Reminds me of Mass Effect 3, sprint, take cover and the revive button are all mapped to the same button(A on Xbox, spacebar on PC).

Or an objective. And god help you if you have your thumb anywhere near the left stick during this process, because then you'll just roll off into the sunset.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Or an objective. And god help you if you have your thumb anywhere near the left stick during this process, because then you'll just roll off into the sunset.

Still not fixed on the PC. At least it's semi-understandable on consoles but not fixing it on PC is just loving lazy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Bushmaori posted:

Still not fixed on the PC. At least it's semi-understandable on consoles but not fixing it on PC is just loving lazy.

The hell it is. It's 2013 not 1993, you can push out a patch to tweak your controls about as easily on consoles as on the PC. :colbert:

redmercer posted:

"Quit to Menu" is the drat "Pause" button. I personally immediately liked it because it put into stark contrast the fact that in most games you can just pause, completely change equipment, chug two dozen potions and then go right back to combat when the draugr you're hacking on has no such luxury.

I'm not looking to start a giant thing with DS either, but to be fair you can have a pause button while still having inventory management and potion drinking still being real time. Resident Evil 6 did this quite nicely; in offline mode, the start button only pauses the game but opens no menus so you can answer the phone mid game but you can't down 50 health potions. However, it and DS have the same issue in online mode of the drop-in nature of invasions, which you can resolve by either making getting invaded impossible while you are paused, you cannot pause once an invasion begins, or the invader is also paused and can choose to leave the paused world at no penalty (probably the worst option here but there you go). I totally agree that keeping all inventory management and potion drinking unpaused is a good thing but sometimes you just gotta answer a phone and getting to the quit to menu option takes too long v:shobon:v

Alpha Protocol (PC): the hacking and lockpicking minigames really did not port over well for KB+M. Lockpicking goes from "put a specific amount of pressure on one trigger and then press a button 3-5 times" to "move the mouse up or down 3-5 then left click", and meanwhile for hacking, the mouse is so sensitive I spend most of my time on those puzzles sliding the right block of code into place. Controller fixes that problem but I like KB+M better. Also I'm getting a great bug where if I die and then hit the reload from last checkpoint option instead of manually loading up the last save, all the enemies in my area despawn... it makes some parts of the game ridiculously easy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah, the hitbox for looting is so goddamn tiny and it makes no sense.

I think the hitbox is centered vaguely around their pockets in an attempt at verisimilitude, but it really doesn't help that much when that's usually where their guns end up too. IME, aiming towards their crotch works out more often than not.

DrProsek posted:

The hell it is. It's 2013 not 1993, you can push out a patch to tweak your controls about as easily on consoles as on the PC. :colbert:

Not when you have to pass every single patch through certification and, IIRC, pay out additional fees for every patch beyond a few gimmes.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Not when you have to pass every single patch through certification and, IIRC, pay out additional fees for every patch beyond a few gimmes.

Huh, seriously? Never mind then, never occurred to me patching was such a dumb process on consoles. Certification I sorta get, money for patches is just dumb.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DrProsek posted:

Huh, seriously? Never mind then, never occurred to me patching was such a dumb process on consoles. Certification I sorta get, money for patches is just dumb.
If you force the publishers to pay money to patch bugs, then game publishers will only produce bugfree games! :pseudo:

-actual console company reasoning.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DrProsek posted:

The first xbox patch is free, the next patch and every patch following it will cost you in the range of $25,000.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

What in the gently caress. I don't know what is worse: The fact they charge this much thinking companies will wise up and thoroughly test their poo poo, or that even with a fine companies still release poo poo patches.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Boiled Water posted:

The first xbox patch is free, the next patch and every patch following it will cost you in the range of $25,000.

I wonder how much wiggle room is tolerated in determining what is a patch or not. I think Mortal Kombat 9 had a built in feature where they could quickly adjust move parameters and release it as a rebalancing hot fix independently of the xbl patching process.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, that number is just an approxomation. Microsoft has stated that they charge based on the situation and are willing to work with developers/publishers on it. Also despite the hassle to the developer/publisher you actually do see a difference between patches on the 360 and the PS3. You wouldn't believe how much time I've wasted with the PS3 in situations where I download a game from their store, start it and basically have to redownload the entire loving game again because of patches. While on the 360 side most patches are between 5-50mb.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Oh no I have to download patches :qq: .

champagne posting has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Feb 11, 2013

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Boiled Water posted:

Console World Problems.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Microsoft are very restrictive about Xbla content and it costs money to get testing and approval for it to be hosted. There's requirements for things like dashboard functionality and so on

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I'm not looking to start a giant thing with DS either, but to be fair you can have a pause button while still having inventory management and potion drinking still being real time. Resident Evil 6 did this quite nicely; in offline mode, the start button only pauses the game but opens no menus so you can answer the phone mid game but you can't down 50 health potions. However, it and DS have the same issue in online mode of the drop-in nature of invasions, which you can resolve by either making getting invaded impossible while you are paused, you cannot pause once an invasion begins, or the invader is also paused and can choose to leave the paused world at no penalty (probably the worst option here but there you go). I totally agree that keeping all inventory management and potion drinking unpaused is a good thing but sometimes you just gotta answer a phone and getting to the quit to menu option takes too long v:shobon:v

I don't know if it's a bug with DSFix (Or just the PC version) but killed enemies behaving like polystyrene dolls really kills the atmosphere in Dark Souls. It's like you bested this unholy nightmare thing, but if you move into the corpse, it's like it has no weight and gets pushed around as if it were a blown-up balloon monster corpse. Really bizarre, since they nailed a lot of other things really well.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

:bandwagon:Spec Ops: The Line was painfully short, I beat it in just under 4 hours and even though I bought it with Steam Wallet funds I had converted from Gamestop gift cards, I still feel cheated out of my $29.99.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

I'm playing through Dark Souls blind, and having a blast with it. I thought that Darkroot Basin and Darkroot Garden were supposed to be the next areas after the Bell Gargoyles, and I got my rear end kicked over and over again, but I managed to do a bunch of things like killing the Moonlight Butterfly, joined the Forest Hunter covenant, and so forth. I was doing the PvP when I realized that I was in an area that I really shouldn't have been; all of the other players kept one-shotting me. Then I went back, found the Capra Demon, and went through the Depths. By that point I found the Stone Armour, and had a +7 Halberd, and I wiped the floor with that whole area.

While I'm really enjoying the game, the only thing that annoys me is the PvP. I've basically gotten to the point where I only ever go around Hollow. If I'm human, I'll very quickly get invaded by somebody who has much better equipment, and I get killed pretty much instantly. Somehow they keep phasing through me and backstabbing me even though I always try to keep myself facing them. Either that or they'll whip out a giant gently caress-off spell and obliterate me. I'm still in the process of figuring out what equipment to use and what playstyle suits me, and constantly fighting all these people who have likely played the game many times and know all the best equipment is getting pretty grating. The only solution I've found is to just stay hollow, which means that I have to solo the bosses. I've been managing pretty well so far, but it's just annoying.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Alteisen posted:

A similar situation occurs in the Uncharted series. Dive/roll is the same button as "take cover." This is most problematic when you try to dive through a doorway. 90% of the time, you'll just take cover on the same side of the door you started from, so now you have a couple seconds of standing perfectly still to get shot at.

In either multiplayer or crushing difficulty, that basically means you're dead.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

JoltSpree posted:

I'm playing through Dark Souls blind, and having a blast with it. I thought that Darkroot Basin and Darkroot Garden were supposed to be the next areas after the Bell Gargoyles, and I got my rear end kicked over and over again, but I managed to do a bunch of things like killing the Moonlight Butterfly, joined the Forest Hunter covenant, and so forth. I was doing the PvP when I realized that I was in an area that I really shouldn't have been; all of the other players kept one-shotting me. Then I went back, found the Capra Demon, and went through the Depths. By that point I found the Stone Armour, and had a +7 Halberd, and I wiped the floor with that whole area.

While I'm really enjoying the game, the only thing that annoys me is the PvP. I've basically gotten to the point where I only ever go around Hollow. If I'm human, I'll very quickly get invaded by somebody who has much better equipment, and I get killed pretty much instantly. Somehow they keep phasing through me and backstabbing me even though I always try to keep myself facing them. Either that or they'll whip out a giant gently caress-off spell and obliterate me. I'm still in the process of figuring out what equipment to use and what playstyle suits me, and constantly fighting all these people who have likely played the game many times and know all the best equipment is getting pretty grating. The only solution I've found is to just stay hollow, which means that I have to solo the bosses. I've been managing pretty well so far, but it's just annoying.

Honestly, PVP in Dark Souls is entirely optional and the bosses are all entirely possible to handle just playing solo. There is one exception in Anor Londo, but if it becomes too much of a problem you can just start the game in offline mode, grab the NPC summon located near the boss's fog door and go back to online-related stuff afterward. That boss isn't even a mandatory co-op boss, it's just difficult to manage if you're new and underprepared to exploit their weaknesses and meta-weaknesses.

You don't miss out on anything by playing Hollow, just make sure you keep some liquid humanity on you at all times. You get a lot of bonuses from having humanity in your little counter in the top-left corner, and you don't need to be in regular body form for those to take effect. Being in body form is only a requirement for co-op/PVP

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

It's not like it's a huge inconvenience but it's a pretty bullshit thing that shouldn't be considered acceptable on a large scale.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's not like it's a huge inconvenience but it's a pretty bullshit thing that shouldn't be considered acceptable on a large scale.

It doesn't help that the PS3 has terrible download speeds, so patches can take ten or fifteen minutes to finish. It's obviously not that big of a deal, but I'd much rather put my game in and start playing, then have to wait for it to install, download patches, install those, and then finally get to play.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

You don't miss out on anything by playing Hollow, just make sure you keep some liquid humanity on you at all times. You get a lot of bonuses from having humanity in your little counter in the top-left corner, and you don't need to be in regular body form for those to take effect. Being in body form is only a requirement for co-op/PVP

Really? I had no idea. I was just using up as much humanity as possible after I revived, making sure I kept two in reserve for reviving and kindling bonfires. I thought you had to be human to get the bonuses. That makes it a lot less painful.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The big bonus is the item discovery stat, if you look at it you'll notice it's higher even in hollowed form with humanity on the counter anyway. Same for occult/chaos weapons, curse resistances and overall defenses.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Humanity is actually treated like another stat, if you look at your stat list. Each time you level up, you do get those bonuses to resistances, so adding more humanity does provide those bonuses, just like if you were dropping levels via souls. So you do get those bonuses like Zed said.

The difference between even 00 Humanity and 01 Humanity in Item Discovery is something like a 50% boost from bare-minimum, I think. So there's never a good reason to not have at least 1 Humanity on your. You can be cursed almost immediately with 0 humanity as well, while a couple will usually make the bar long enough that you can escape a curse.

There's no downside at all to having liquid humanity, because even if you die and lose your bloodstain and it's all gone, you're about an hour of grinding rats in The Depths or an afternoon of Co-Op away from getting it all back.

Which reminds me, don't forget you can co-op in Hollow form! You need to be human to summon help, but you don't need to be human to drop your white soapstone sign down wherever you want. If you wanted to PVP at the boss in Anor Londo, for instance, you generally place your sign next to a bonfire, which means you can spend a bunch of time farming the nearby knights for souls and possible item drops. Same for co-op in Blighttown, you can drop your sign at the bonfire in the sewer opening at the swamp and then go farm leeches for Large + Green shards. Or farm everything for souls and pump up your pyromancy flame in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

The only thing you need to be unhallow for outside of multiplayer or summoning NPCs is kindling bonfires which is a pain in the rear end that you need to unhallow for them, but despite complaining about it earlier in this thread, I should be fair and say most bonfires are within walking distance of NPCs who are more than happy to kill you and are pretty easy to kill when you respawn hallow, or cliffs you can just walk off. It sucks you need to waste a humanity on it each time you find a new bofire instead of just being able to pay for the kindling but eh, bonfires are rare enough that you're going to lose at most 3 in one area if you jump off a cliff every time you kindle.

• Locked thread