Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Continuous posted:

I'd be up to meet up. How long are you in DC for?

Through the 14th, unless they make me stay longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

I'm off work for the next week at least. Let's do something fun.

Monday night trivia at the Mighty Pint in Dupont @ 7pm, for starters. Bunch of goons are regulars.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Oh that sounds good. I think by then I'm going to have to start fasting but I can come to hang out a bit.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Diplomaticus posted:

Oh that sounds good. I think by then I'm going to have to start fasting but I can come to hang out a bit.

:ohdear: good luck dude.

photoguy
Sep 21, 2012
Hi all,

Haven't been on here in a while - been busy with family stuff + starting PCS preparations for this summer + learning German in what spare time I do have :)

So I have a question some of you Goons might have experience with - any of you get hitched after joining the FS? If so how long (approx) did it take to add your EFM to your travel orders after you got married? My SO is planning on joining me at post at a later date, and I'm attempting to sort out some of the logistics ahead of time as there seems to be a lot involved (med clearance, passports, visas, etc). Surprisingly no one I've talked to so far has been able to give me a rough estimate. She's a US citizen so at least that keeps it simpler :)

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
So, I recall there being something stating that an FSO can only receive a full course of a Hard or Super Hard language twice in their careers, with a possibility of a third. But is there a limit to how many times you can receive training for less difficult languages?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

photoguy posted:

Hi all,

Haven't been on here in a while - been busy with family stuff + starting PCS preparations for this summer + learning German in what spare time I do have :)

So I have a question some of you Goons might have experience with - any of you get hitched after joining the FS? If so how long (approx) did it take to add your EFM to your travel orders after you got married? My SO is planning on joining me at post at a later date, and I'm attempting to sort out some of the logistics ahead of time as there seems to be a lot involved (med clearance, passports, visas, etc). Surprisingly no one I've talked to so far has been able to give me a rough estimate. She's a US citizen so at least that keeps it simpler :)

Funny you should mention it. I just got married about two weeks ago and am currently going through the process now for my move in September. I can only speak to the first step which was filling out a form in HR Online that officially changed my status from single to married. Filling out the form online took about 5 minutes. Following that I sent a scanned copy of my marriage certificate to my HR Tech and received confirmation of the change about 2 days later. This week I plan on having my wife added to my insurance plans and then will begin figuring out the process to to get her health clearances for travel to post. If you come across any handy guides/advice, please share!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Bruxism posted:

Funny you should mention it. I just got married about two weeks ago and am currently going through the process now for my move in September. I can only speak to the first step which was filling out a form in HR Online that officially changed my status from single to married. Filling out the form online took about 5 minutes. Following that I sent a scanned copy of my marriage certificate to my HR Tech and received confirmation of the change about 2 days later. This week I plan on having my wife added to my insurance plans and then will begin figuring out the process to to get her health clearances for travel to post. If you come across any handy guides/advice, please share!

That sounds right. It all blurs together.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

From what I recall, you can test in MSA or Egyptian, those are the only two FSI-recognized variants of Arabic.

Slight addendum: when I started MSA training in 2009, they were offering training in Iraqi dialect due to the need at Embassy Baghdad. YMMV now, but I believe that was an option before.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

photoguy posted:

Hi all,

Got hitched about 6 months after arriving at post. Getting her on my travel orders was a bit tough because of some personnel shuffles in the relevant offices, that took about a month but realistically should have only taken a couple of weeks max. We started the process right after the wedding (flew up to DC the next day), she flew back up again to go to MED, did the passports and visa by mail (I think. She may have gone to the special issuances office, not sure.) We were married in November, and she joined me at post in February. But, if you pre-arrange as much as possible, you probably could cut that amount of time significantly.

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Diplomaticus posted:

I'm free Tuesday or Wednesday. Ideally, would like to meet a few other goons, but if not, maybe go somewhere around Downtown / Dupont for a quick bite?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'm going to the trivia thing tonight, so I'll be there. Can't guarantee that I'll be able to do anything tomorrow or Wed. though. Depending on whether I'm able to eat, I'd be down for lunch if you can't make tonight.

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

Zoots posted:

Slight addendum: when I started MSA training in 2009, they were offering training in Iraqi dialect due to the need at Embassy Baghdad. YMMV now, but I believe that was an option before.

Thanks all for the info. It seems like I ought to either pick up Egyptain or MSA, ugh.
What can be said about actual language use for FSOs? If I learn about how it is use might let me focus on the Egyptain dialect or MSA

photoguy
Sep 21, 2012

Diplomaticus posted:

Got hitched about 6 months after arriving at post. Getting her on my travel orders was a bit tough because of some personnel shuffles in the relevant offices, that took about a month but realistically should have only taken a couple of weeks max. We started the process right after the wedding (flew up to DC the next day), she flew back up again to go to MED, did the passports and visa by mail (I think. She may have gone to the special issuances office, not sure.) We were married in November, and she joined me at post in February. But, if you pre-arrange as much as possible, you probably could cut that amount of time significantly.

Awesome, thanks :) I'll keep that in mind.

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Diplomaticus posted:

I'm going to the trivia thing tonight, so I'll be there. Can't guarantee that I'll be able to do anything tomorrow or Wed. though. Depending on whether I'm able to eat, I'd be down for lunch if you can't make tonight.

Yeah, couldn't make trivia tonight, unfortunately. I can do lunch on Wednesday if you don't mind coming to the the Mcpherson / Farragut area

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Abu Hans posted:

Thanks all for the info. It seems like I ought to either pick up Egyptain or MSA, ugh.
What can be said about actual language use for FSOs? If I learn about how it is use might let me focus on the Egyptain dialect or MSA

You're gonna groan, but IT DEPENDS. :v:

Here in Italy I get a ton of mileage out of my language training since English isn't widely spoken where you need it, the job demands it (both in NIV and ACS), etc. etc.

In Riyadh, between my limited Arabic and most of my PD contacts having studied abroad, I didn't use it as much. Folks would speak primarily in the Nejdi accent - or just use English. I still tried to use the language as much as possible, but it was slow going. Plus Arabic is way more difficult to learn - I had 8 months of it and only got to a 2/2 in MSA.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

Zoots posted:

Here in Italy I get a ton of mileage out of my language training since English isn't widely spoken where you need it, the job demands it (both in NIV and ACS), etc. etc.

In Riyadh, between my limited Arabic and most of my PD contacts having studied abroad, I didn't use it as much. Folks would speak primarily in the Nejdi accent - or just use English. I still tried to use the language as much as possible, but it was slow going. Plus Arabic is way more difficult to learn - I had 8 months of it and only got to a 2/2 in MSA.

As a consular hopeful, would I be correct in assuming that I would be getting HUGE workout in the language department at each foreign-language post? Does State require more time in language training for FSOs who are heading to consular rotations, or do they toss you into a visa line to sink or swim?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

d1rtbag posted:

As a consular hopeful, would I be correct in assuming that I would be getting HUGE workout in the language department at each foreign-language post? Does State require more time in language training for FSOs who are heading to consular rotations, or do they toss you into a visa line to sink or swim?

Dip or Zoots can correct me, but most FSOs are going to get the same. Most spots are designated 1/1, 2/2, or 3/3 with most Consular and FSO (Pol, econ, etc.) being 3s. With that said, my impression is that most Consular coned officers will move off the line after a few tours and normally, don't do daily interviews.

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

I got an invite today for the March 25th class (even though I was supposed to be on DNC status). I had hoped to wait till the fall but I think I'm going to go ahead and snag it. Have had lots of discussion with the husband about it, he is in the Army but stationed near DC (no per diem for us). He gets out in a couple years so maybe this will sync up better. This would also put me in more of a better time period I assume with the school year (I hope). It won't seem real until I actually set foot in orientation though.

Thinking ahead is it more reasonable to take the MARC train from Odenton then the Metro then shuttle to FSI than Drive from the Ft. Meade area? I hate driving.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

Miscreant Fromage posted:

I got an invite today for the March 25th class (even though I was supposed to be on DNC status). I had hoped to wait till the fall but I think I'm going to go ahead and snag it. Have had lots of discussion with the husband about it, he is in the Army but stationed near DC (no per diem for us). He gets out in a couple years so maybe this will sync up better. This would also put me in more of a better time period I assume with the school year (I hope). It won't seem real until I actually set foot in orientation though.

Thinking ahead is it more reasonable to take the MARC train from Odenton then the Metro then shuttle to FSI than Drive from the Ft. Meade area? I hate driving.

Congratulations! I say go for it while you have the chance.

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Congrats and hope to see you at the A-100!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I got an invite today

Congrats!! That is great news.

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

Zoots posted:

Such is the fate of what I've seen from people who have learned MSA- they have a hard time talking to the folks but seem to get all the credit of learning it. I'm just jealous. :)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

TCD posted:

Dip or Zoots can correct me, but most FSOs are going to get the same. Most spots are designated 1/1, 2/2, or 3/3 with most Consular and FSO (Pol, econ, etc.) being 3s. With that said, my impression is that most Consular coned officers will move off the line after a few tours and normally, don't do daily interviews.

I haven't done a consular or language tour yet so I don't know. I

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
So any of you in the DC area able to break away for an hour or so on Friday afternoon to sign me out of the hospital? Even though my hotel is like not even 3 blocks away they won't let me walk.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Need to figure out how to stop these pigeons from nesting on our laundry room window.

It's all cute until they kill each other and then our laundry room and kitchen smells like death for a week.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

TCD posted:

Need to figure out how to stop these pigeons from nesting on our laundry room window.

It's all cute until they kill each other and then our laundry room and kitchen smells like death for a week.

No joke, pigeon is my kid's favorite meal. You know what you need to do.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Diplomaticus posted:

So any of you in the DC area able to break away for an hour or so on Friday afternoon to sign me out of the hospital? Even though my hotel is like not even 3 blocks away they won't let me walk.

I will check my schedule, I think I will be in PA but if not I will.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

huh, funny that. I was at a Korean Embassy function the other day. They served pigeon with kimchi.

Spicy Pigeon, who knew you'd be so delicious?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

Hah, can anyone do it?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

Which hospital? I'm going to call and tell them you really should stay for a while longer, for your own good!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yeah hold on with that for a second, because now there's a chance that it's not happening at all.

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

Diplomaticus posted:

Yeah hold on with that for a second, because now there's a chance that it's not happening at all.

Bummer. If it's a Friday or Saturday I can drive down from Ft. Meade if you can't find anyone. Weedays are out though :(

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
I live a few streets down and have Friday off from work. I don't know you, but you've been a huge help with this thread so I'd be happy to check you out.

PM me if you still need someone.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

problematique posted:

I live a few streets down and have Friday off from work. I don't know you, but you've been a huge help with this thread so I'd be happy to check you out.

PM me if you still need someone.

This is pretty much how every episode of those unsolved forensic crime shows begins.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

This is pretty much how every episode of those unsolved forensic crime shows begins.

Or awesome parties in college...

Your mileage may vary.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Can we have an FSOgoon meetup/dinner this weekend, for whoever's in town?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

FM AMCOMPOUND TCD

AAR: Day1 of formal hostilities with the pigeon terrorist group known as "poo poo on people on heads" aka "filthy flying rodents" aka "stop decomposing next to the kitchen" have ceased. Two of the 3 ring leaders have temporarily retreated after a liquid attack. 1 remains lodged in a corner that is out of the line of fire. Offensive continues tomorrow with no hope for peace talks.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
TCD is standing up a pigeon virtual monitoring group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Please restrict all nonessential travel to the area.