Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

MUFFlNS posted:

It's not a bug. There's a ~sewer level~ where there's all these weird shambling zombie xenomorphs that track you by sound because they can't see you (the developers obviously didn't notice that the xenomorphs in the movies didn't have eyes...) so you walk around slowly while these zombies get up and wander around randomly.

The objective is to flick these switches that turn machines on and make noise to distract them, right? So then they hear the noise, run towards it in a neat line and explode one after the other. There's no explanation given as to why they randomly commit suicide by exploding.

I wish I was making this poo poo up :(

Now I'm laughing harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MUFFlNS posted:

It's not a bug. There's a ~sewer level~ where there's all these weird shambling zombie xenomorphs that track you by sound because they can't see you (the developers obviously didn't notice that the xenomorphs in the movies didn't have eyes...) so you walk around slowly while these zombies get up and wander around randomly.

The objective is to flick these switches that turn machines on and make noise to distract them, right? So then they hear the noise, run towards it in a neat line and explode one after the other. There's no explanation given as to why they randomly commit suicide by exploding.

I'm a huge Alien game apologist but

hahahahahahahahaha

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The CD keys in the retail box are backwards :downs: The code on the slip for limited edition content is the game and the manual is the LE DLC. If they have hosed that up in the regular version some people are going to have a fun time!

Also the Steam store claims the game is available even though it's not.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Bwahaha. It'd be better if this was a bug, because knowing the "why" actually makes it worse. The only money Gearbox is gonna make off of this is if Sega gives them a kickback, because the only game this one has convinced me to buy is AVP 2010.

I hope it's modable, because that Xeno seriously needs a walker and a "Git offa my lawn" voice over.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 11, 2013

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

MUFFlNS posted:

oh what

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
Im getting that also Cat. In the UK at least it says its released on the 11th now, with no time fore release.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

MUFFlNS posted:

I image them looking like this when coming up with this bullshit;

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Batham posted:

I image them looking like this when coming up with this bullshit;

Is there any way to contact this self proclaimed "most knowledgeable about aliens there is" guy and ask him how certain kind of Xenomorphs are blind when none of them have eyes?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Is there any way to contact this self proclaimed "most knowledgeable about aliens there is" guy and ask him how certain kind of Xenomorphs are blind when none of them have eyes?

Well clearly he's accounting for the hybrid in Resurrection, which had obvious eyes :smug:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
^^^ bastard!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

See, stuff like this shouldn't even bother you.

Because this.

That's canon.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Just found him on twitter. He's a smart man. He left for a cruise yesterday and won't be online/around for the launch.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

^^^ bastard!

See, stuff like this shouldn't even bother you.

Because this.

That's canon.

is that a vagina.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They were blinded by the nuke. drat you Ripley, causing suffering everywhere you go.

The first Alien in alien did have eye sockets, implying eyes of a sort. But it was hard to see them in the film. Or they made the 'canopy' of the head darker for the film so they weren't visible.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Heti posted:

is that a vagina.

Also tits.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Heti posted:

is that a vagina.

Lassitude posted:

Also tits.

I wish I hadn't seen that picture.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Iacen posted:

I wish I hadn't seen that picture.

I wish I hadn't seen that movie.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Originally they were going to give it a giant phallus. :shepface:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The hybrid owns. Sigourney Weaver wanted to gently caress that thing.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Didn't she try to get a sex scene with an alien in pretty much every film and everyone was like "What the hell..."

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Dan Didio posted:

The hybrid owns. Sigourney Weaver wanted to gently caress that thing.

Sigouney Weaver will do anything for money.

Anything.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Movies? There was just the one movie and I won't be hearing otherwise. :shepicide:

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 11, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

Didn't she try to get a sex scene with an alien in pretty much every film and everyone was like "What the hell..."
No, no, no. You do not get to destroy some of my favorite movies.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
She wanted a more explicit scene in Alien 4 (terrible movie by the way!), but we got that scene of the alien carrying her "sensually" instead, where's she's kind of snuggling it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

pixelbaron posted:

Haha what the hell is there a source on this

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

pixelbaron posted:

It was specifically Alien: Ressurection. I don't know why that's the line everyone balks at in those movies.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Zzulu posted:

She wanted a more explicit scene in Alien 4 (terrible movie by the way!), but we got that scene of the alien carrying her "sensually" instead, where's she's kind of snuggling it

Yeah, that was the compromise where they basically said "We'll meet you halfway" and that was the result.

They should have let David Lynch or David Cronenberg handle Alien 4.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Batham posted:

Originally they were going to give it a giant phallus. :shepface:

I've seen better shots of the actual sculpt for that. The finished product was even more clear that the giant phallus is penetrating it's own stomach vagina. They actually made an appliance for the finished suit to cover it up, since the producers were like "Awww, Hell no".

It was such a great metaphor for that whole films "Go gently caress yourself" message.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Haha what the hell is there a source on this

Nah, I am just being a dick.

I think the first Alien they wanted to have her killed and have it be kind of sexual how she dies but then they changed it because of filming constraints. And then yeah like has already been said, she wanted to have something sexual in Alien: Resurrection and they met her halfway.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Speaking of the sewer level...

Least it looks pretty, but that's probably only because it's so dark with contrasting lights.
Also how are y'all deciding what is and isn't cannon? Ripley, Cameron, O'Bannon, Hill, Fincher, etc. Every movie has had a completely different development crew aside from Weaver, the guy who plays the alien, and a writer or two. Giger's artwork is changed and altered by the crew every time too.

quote:

It was such a great metaphor for that whole films "Go gently caress yourself" message.
I don't think it was intentional. At least half the poo poo he makes ends up loving itself.
:nws:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/3e/58/b9f6224128a0514279b96010.L.jpg

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Aliens don't have eyes in the conventional eyeball sense, but they can still see in the visible light spectrum - we get a ton of fisheye lens Alien POV shots in 'Alien3'.

Dan Didio posted:

It was specifically Alien: Ressurection. I don't know why that's the line everyone balks at in those movies.
She actually wanted an Alien sex scene as far back as 'Aliens', and James Cameron locked that poo poo down and said "hell no".

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Giger's Necronomicon makes a good coffee table book.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

it was actually a big ol' xeno orgy under the grating in that scene.

Wish I could forget it :smith:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have that sewer GIF from the last page? I think it got taken down, I wanted to show some friends the comedy.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Xenomrph posted:

She actually wanted an Alien sex scene as far back as 'Aliens', and James Cameron locked that poo poo down and said "hell no".

Funny. In the first film Lambert was supposed to die of shock, yet instead gets offcamera raped. Guess such a scene was too irky for Cameron to handle.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

rizuhbull posted:

Speaking of the sewer level...

Least it looks pretty, but that's probably only because it's so dark with contrasting lights.
Also how are y'all deciding what is and isn't cannon?

Pretty sure Fox made some kind of blanket "Its ALL canon" statement regarding the movies...

and the comic books...

and the games...

and pretty much everything related to the franchise :psyduck: Xeno would know more than me, though.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

rizuhbull posted:

I don't think it was intentional.

Yeah it was. Somewhere in the bucket of extras on the Bluray set they talk about the director specifically asking for the penis/vagina stomach design. I seem to recall it was somebody on the production crew aping Giger though, and not actually his design.

I can't believe I was bored enough to have watched the extras for that though.

As far as the "canon" goes, eh...I dunno. In the extras there are a few guys who worked on making the earlier films who actively opposed Resurrection and were pushing Fox execs not to make it. I forget exactly who though, and I'm not bored enough to actually look at this point in my life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Batham posted:

I...well...you know...well...euhm.

:catstare:

That's some really scary stuff Gearbox made.

Aww, lookit the cute widdle alien. He's learning to walk for the first time. What a good alien. :3:

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

My favorite thing is that someone at Gearbox thought "Hey, know what would be a loving awesome attachment for the guns? Mother. loving. Silencers"

Apparently nobody passed on the memo that there would never be a single reason in this game to have a silencer equipped but hey, those CoD players gotta have all the options for their sweet weapon setups.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Just saw this.

quote:

Aliens: Colonial Marines, developed by Gearbox Software and published by Sega, is the latest title to be added to the list of Alien-inspired games - but does it live up to all the hype that was created before release? (Aliens: Colonial Marines, PS3, Xbox 360)

7.9/10

Update
The local distributor in South Africa failed to inform the media that there is actually a review embargo on Colonial Marines. I had to pull the review, but it will be back up in a couple of hours.

Yet he leaves the score up.

They must be really trying to protect their pre-orders at this point.

(I am still buying it anyway)

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

pixelbaron posted:

Well that definitely puts Sigourney Weaver in a different light.

You know, I think there's something to the statement, "ignorance is bliss"

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Apparently there is no host migration or anything for this game. So, if you're steamrolling the host or he doesn't like playing as an alien welp back to the multiplayer screen you go.

• Locked thread