Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
All HDG have the same audio it's just they added the security warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I had a question for you RGB/Trinitron guys. I can only fit a 20" CRT in my bedroom. My current Magnavox is usable, but doesn't do 240p via component (tested with PS2 slim and a PS1 game).

Are there any specific 20" flat-glass Trinitrons that play nice with 240p?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Also, what can I do for Genesis games that don't start up except for try and clean them more? The Phantasy Star 3 cart I got in this bundle doesn't start up but the two poo poo games do :downs:

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

Also, what can I do for Genesis games that don't start up except for try and clean them more? The Phantasy Star 3 cart I got in this bundle doesn't start up but the two poo poo games do :downs:

Give up and send it to me?:downs: Really though, open it up and have a look. Make sure the battery didn't start leaking, etc.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I lost my gamebit screwdriver long ago so I was hoping to do everything short of opening the cart up.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

ACID POLICE posted:

I lost my gamebit screwdriver long ago so I was hoping to do everything short of opening the cart up.

Order a new gamebit because you'll need them eventually and in the meantime melt a pen.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=5001

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

You could always sprinkly some pixie dust on it and hope it'll work again.

Anyway, just get another gamebit. Check the battery for leakage and damage to the surrounding area. If there's no problem there, get some blue magic polishing cream, and polish the pins. If you're still having problems, clean the cartridge connector on the console, and if by that point nothing is working, then there's something worse wrong with the cart that a simple fix isn't going to do it.

But, most likely you just probably need to polish the pins. I had a few problem games in the past where no amount of pencil eraser and/or alcohol would make the game work reliably. Ever since I polished the pins, the games work 100% of the time, as opposed to 25% of the time (and that's even with cleaning it regularly with alcohol).

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 12, 2013

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Silhouette posted:

27"? Get that weak poo poo outta here. You ain't gaming properly until you hit at least 36".

:c00lbert:

Or 120"

Sadly it won't take RF...it only gets as low as composite, but a modulator can fix that. Now I need to try an NES or Master System on it gently caress

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wotalt posted:

Or 120"

Sadly it won't take RF...it only gets as low as composite, but a modulator can fix that. Now I need to try an NES or Master System on it gently caress

Projector bros :respek:

Right now I've had to give up my home theater room temporarily but I miss rockin the 150" screen. Haven't tried anything retro on it aside from emulation, curious how it'd like my TG16...

Also I take it yours is sitting instead of being ceiling mounted, since the fan would obstruct the image...? Man I did that for a while and was so goddamn paranoid I'd end up dumping a drink into it, I ceiling mounted it within a month or so of owning it. :ohdear:

e. Since PS2 appears to be relatively fair game, I bought my projector exclusively because it could do near-lag-free Beatmania. And it does. And it is awesome. Sharp XR-30X. Giant Beatmania is pretty freaking cool.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 12, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I did not know about that melting a pen trick, I like that. I'm gonna get another one because I know
I'll need it. Hopefully I don't have to do any actual repairs, but i'll look up this mystical polishing cream.

Can Genesis carts survive battery explosions/leakages like SNES games can?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

retrogamecave also has adapters for famicom / av fami that are a little less and work worldwide (with appropriate regional adapter).

He's also working on a duo one for the famicom and disk system

Just received an AC adapter from them for my new CDX... the cord of this thing is insanely short. If you have another avenue for buying an AC adapter, like getting an original one, please go that route.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Right now I've had to give up my home theater room temporarily but I miss rockin the 150" screen. Haven't tried anything retro on it aside from emulation, curious how it'd like my TG16...

Also I take it yours is sitting instead of being ceiling mounted, since the fan would obstruct the image...? Man I did that for a while and was so goddamn paranoid I'd end up dumping a drink into it, I ceiling mounted it within a month or so of owning it. :ohdear:

e. Since PS2 appears to be relatively fair game, I bought my projector exclusively because it could do near-lag-free Beatmania. And it does. And it is awesome. Sharp XR-30X. Giant Beatmania is pretty freaking cool.

While these are built with the assumption that they will be mounted upside down, this one points pretty high up for sitting 3 feet off the floor. I'd always wanted to ceiling mount one but my apartment would kick me out immediately.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wotalt posted:

Or 120"

Yessssss

I played 10 player Saturn Bomberman on a 10' screen at a gaming convention once, it was amazing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Wotalt posted:

Or 120"

Does it have a sharp image? For some reason I cannot imagine this would output HD at a comparable level to a television. I've played Wii Sports on a projector at a bar, but that's not the best game for visuals anyhow.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Can't speak for his, but mine looks... well, with the Wii, it's 480i/p stretched to 150 inches. It's not a horrible mass of blurry garbage, but it's certainly blurry around the edges. Of course, it's made up for by the fact that it's big giant Wii, which can be pretty fun.

The PS3 @ 720p looks very pretty, though, same for my HTPC running the same way. Sharp and clear.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I hooked up a NES directly to a 120" projector at my brother-in-law's place and it looked shockingly good. I was really surprised.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

FYI Japanese import buying types, we're at 94 yen/dollar right now which is pretty drat awesome.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Daaaaaaamn, I saw projectors and was going to ask about rhythm games. I'd buy one of those but... oh wait, it's like $100 on eBay... God dammit, must resist the :retrogames: aaaaAAAAGGHGHHHH

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

HKR posted:

FYI Japanese import buying types, we're at 94 yen/dollar right now which is pretty drat awesome.

God dammit, don't turn me into a Yen speculator so I know when to import games. :argh:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

HKR posted:

Nows a good time to get that duo rx eh?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'd get stuff, but I've yet to receive either of my orders from JGS and Rakuten.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Silhouette posted:

Yessssss

I played 10 player Saturn Bomberman on a 10' screen at a gaming convention once, it was amazing.
I won a Smash Bros Melee tournament at my high school during my senior year on a huge projected screen. I can second how awesome playing on one of those and I would kill to have a home theather room for gaming (and DVD/BluRay/Netflix watching, but mostly gaming).

That would be the utimate use of the :retrogames: smiley.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Hey, I'm definately up for the mass buy of the N8 Everdrive, hope I'm not too late! To anyone needing a cart shell for it, there's a lot of 1 cent (8 dollar shipping) Dragon Quest carts on ebay!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ohnoitschris posted:

Daaaaaaamn, I saw projectors and was going to ask about rhythm games. I'd buy one of those but... oh wait, it's like $100 on eBay... God dammit, must resist the :retrogames: aaaaAAAAGGHGHHHH

$100 for a projector sounds like it's too good to be true... I'd be nervous about just how lagless it was, what resolutions it supported, how bright it was, etc. Unless you mean you found an XR-30X on ebay for $100, which would be a decent price for one I'd say. The bulbs are around $230 and take like 5 mins to replace, so even if the bulb is dead you're looking at $330 for a pretty nice projector. I think I paid $600 or $700 when mine was brand new, and I never regretted that decision. I've had to swap the bulb once in ~6 years of owning it, it gets around 2500 hours of life out of a bulb, since I mostly run mine in eco mode.

Bear in mind it doesn't do 1080p, only up to 1080i, but the 720p image looks pretty drat nice. It's also reasonably bright, too, though you definitely want to seal up the room it's in.

Do it. I am not even very good at Beatmania, but it's the most anal god drat thing ever about timing, and it seemed as good as my 480i CRT about it. Almost perfect. It also was great with Wii Rock Bank because my upstairs LCD has a lousy upscaler and it had horrendous lag and was random so I couldn't really calibrate it, but the projector was like "cool, 480i? Yeah, no problem, jam away". I've yet to try it with PS3 Rock Band, but I imagine the lag calibration will come back with reeeeally small numbers.

I've played Pop'n Music, Guitarfreaks, Beatmania [pretty much all of them up to Gold], Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and yes, even DJ Hero, and all of them were flawless and awesome.

Do it.

Do it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
When I was in college I "liberated" a projector to play some Dreamcast on the side of the dorms.

Dreamcast with a VGA Box + Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on the side of a building is glorious.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got my Kongfeng GB Boy Colour today and made a video of me playing a couple games really badly with one hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYHF8P9KEps

e: I do have the battery cover, I was just SO HYPE to play it i didn't even put it back on

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 12, 2013

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

$100 for a projector sounds like it's too good to be true... I'd be nervous about just how lagless it was, what resolutions it supported, how bright it was, etc. Unless you mean you found an XR-30X on ebay for $100, which would be a decent price for one I'd say. The bulbs are around $230 and take like 5 mins to replace, so even if the bulb is dead you're looking at $330 for a pretty nice projector. I think I paid $600 or $700 when mine was brand new, and I never regretted that decision. I've had to swap the bulb once in ~6 years of owning it, it gets around 2500 hours of life out of a bulb, since I mostly run mine in eco mode.

Bear in mind it doesn't do 1080p, only up to 1080i, but the 720p image looks pretty drat nice. It's also reasonably bright, too, though you definitely want to seal up the room it's in.

Do it. I am not even very good at Beatmania, but it's the most anal god drat thing ever about timing, and it seemed as good as my 480i CRT about it. Almost perfect. It also was great with Wii Rock Bank because my upstairs LCD has a lousy upscaler and it had horrendous lag and was random so I couldn't really calibrate it, but the projector was like "cool, 480i? Yeah, no problem, jam away". I've yet to try it with PS3 Rock Band, but I imagine the lag calibration will come back with reeeeally small numbers.

I've played Pop'n Music, Guitarfreaks, Beatmania [pretty much all of them up to Gold], Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and yes, even DJ Hero, and all of them were flawless and awesome.

Do it.

Do it.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=sharp+XR-30X&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

There were a few used ones sold for around $100, which is a deal and a half for a screen I can play rhythm games on that both doesn't weigh a thousand pounds and isn't too small. Just a shame it wouldn't be able to play traditional light gun games, though.

I've been trying to find a Pump it Up machine to purchase for around a grand, but I'm not too keen on having the entire cabinet sit in my living room. I'm fine with home versions of games and all, but there is virtually no good home solution to play Pump without building out your own pad. I figured I'd just buy a machine, keep the pads and computer set up, install Stepmania and go to town. But that projector, I might have to jump on that. That seems like a much nicer looking solution than just sticking a TV set on a table. I've got the wall space and everything, too.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

I got my Kongfeng GB Boy Colour today and made a video of me playing a couple games really badly with one hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?embed?kYHF8P9KEps

e: I do have the battery cover, I was just SO HYPE to play it i didn't even put it back on

"This video does not exist."

Edit: fixed your link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYHF8P9KEps

Edit 2: Awesome, isn't it? :) It's the way the GBC should've been in the first place.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 12, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just got my EZ-Flash IV and I'm wondering why I never bought one sooner.

If anyone's looking to buy one, they're getting kind of hard to find. I bought this one:
http://ebluar.com/ez-flash-iv-4-mini-ez-card-for-gba-gba-sp-nds.html

It took about two weeks to arrive with the $3 shipping option.

For the miniSD, I gambled and got this microSD card + adapters:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200883543542

Some people have problems with miniSD adapters, but that one worked fine for me.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Damnit after reading all of that you're making me want to buy one of those things. I love my red NDS to death and this would make it even cooler. Also for including sd cards at reasonable prices that's pretty awesome. Most vendors charge 2-5x more for "included" stuff like that so the fact that they don't is super cool in my book.

http://ebluar.com/ez-flash-iv-4-mini-ez-card-for-gba-gba-sp-nds.html#customer-reviews
Scroll down and you'll see a pretty bangin description of what that baby can do.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Obeast posted:

I won a Smash Bros Melee tournament at my high school during my senior year on a huge projected screen. I can second how awesome playing on one of those and I would kill to have a home theather room for gaming (and DVD/BluRay/Netflix watching, but mostly gaming).

That would be the utimate use of the :retrogames: smiley.

A hundred for a good one is a pretty low price. Mine was $85 from a commercial surplus facility (it came from Charleston College SC) with about 23 cycles left and the tag had indicated that the college paid over $2,500 for it initially. Problem is with surplus is that you'll never find one with a good bulb, they're going to get hot and need a replacement soon.

wa27 posted:

Just got my EZ-Flash IV and I'm wondering why I never bought one sooner.

If anyone's looking to buy one, they're getting kind of hard to find. I bought this one:
http://ebluar.com/ez-flash-iv-4-mini-ez-card-for-gba-gba-sp-nds.html

It took about two weeks to arrive with the $3 shipping option.

For the miniSD, I gambled and got this microSD card + adapters:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200883543542

Some people have problems with miniSD adapters, but that one worked fine for me.

How does the saving work on it? Even with autosave enabled I had no luck, and apparently the save files have to be created manually but I never tried that out.

v Thanks, that is an odd way to save progress.

Southpaw Wusky fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 12, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just a warning, it can't do DS loading without a passme and is ancient so compatibility for DS games will be complete rear end. With that said, the save files are created when you send roms to the card via their windows loader app. Also I was able to obtain one from realhotstuff, always fast shipping and even thought hey list it as out of stock I was able to get one shipped. I think they just don't realize it is listed as out of stock.

http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV--OUT-OF-STOCK_p_76.html

Also word of warning: saves are not written to the sd card until after you boot the flash cartridge again, this means that if you do not boot back into the menu, your save could potentially be lost

Also this is the skin I use on it, looks great and not that stupid star wars poo poo. http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17912

Dunno why that guy had issues with getting it to work though, works great on mine.

To send games to your sd card use the EZ4Client from here http://www.ezflash.cn/downloads/

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wotalt posted:

How does the saving work on it? Even with autosave enabled I had no luck, and apparently the save files have to be created manually but I never tried that out.

It's kind of weird. It only saves when you turn the system on after turning it off. I guess it can't write the save while the game is running, so after you turn it off and on again it pops up a "saving game" dialog for a few seconds. I haven't had any trouble saving games, but supposedly some games have issues? Maybe there is a compatibility list out there.

Oh, and when you transfer the roms using the software, there is a "enable saving" checkbox you have to mark and it should create a save file for it. Did you just transfer the roms manually or something?

edit: I would have bought from realhotstuff.com but I thought they were actually out of stock.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

flyboi posted:

Just a warning, it can't do DS loading without a passme and is ancient so compatibility for DS games will be complete rear end. With that said, the save files are created when you send roms to the card via their windows loader app. Also I was able to obtain one from realhotstuff, always fast shipping and even thought hey list it as out of stock I was able to get one shipped. I think they just don't realize it is listed as out of stock.

http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV--OUT-OF-STOCK_p_76.html

Also word of warning: saves are not written to the sd card until after you boot the flash cartridge again, this means that if you do not boot back into the menu, your save could potentially be lost

Also this is the skin I use on it, looks great and not that stupid star wars poo poo. http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17912

Dunno why that guy had issues with getting it to work though, works great on mine.

To send games to your sd card use the EZ4Client from here http://www.ezflash.cn/downloads/

To add, it's important you use the EZ4 Client as it patches the games during the transfer so saves actually work. Don't just copy and paste them.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
does directx 5 count as retro

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

absolutely anything posted:

does directx 5 count as retro

Hi-five Uprofessional Fridays buddy.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

HKR posted:

Hi-five Uprofessional Fridays buddy.

I had actually been remembering Lego Island on and off recently but yeah Unprofessional Fridays is what pushed me over the edge. Only $5 on eBay! I had a copy as a kid but I lent it to a friend and never got it back. I still have the awesome as hell comic book instruction manual in a drawer somewhere though.

e: That I apparently cannot find on the internet. Kinda wish I had a scanner now.

Turns out Lego Island is actually a cautionary tale about playing God.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 12, 2013

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Anyone else want a custom label for the N8? I made one for myself but anyone else can use it!

E:vvv Haha, thanks for the suggestions guys!

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 12, 2013

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mace Bacon posted:

Anyone else want a custom label for the N8? I made one for myself but anyone else can use it!

I just put EVER and DRIVE into google translate so I doubt it even says what it means but hey, it's something! I could even change the colour if you want.

It reads "ima made ni doraibu" which means "drive until now."

You'd probably be better off just using "eba- doraibu" which I'd put into kana for you but the forums hate Android Japanese.

Edit: Got to a computer. エバードライブ

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Mace Bacon posted:

I just put EVER and DRIVE into google translate so I doubt it even says what it means but hey, it's something! I could even change the colour if you want.

Better replace that "made in japan" with "Made in Ukraine." Krikzz is a rightfully proud man.

• Locked thread