Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Oh my god it's the greatest day in the history of humankind: https://soundcloud.com/koijhjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjk/cbb-my-wife-supercut

This had me laughing.

I don't remember the Star Trek one, but I assume the joke is that they were saying "My ___" to everything except "Worf"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I can't stop listening to the super cut and it is driving "my wife" nuts.

Conversation has become impossible.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
"My wolf" was the best one I think.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

This had me laughing.

I don't remember the Star Trek one, but I assume the joke is that they were saying "My ___" to everything except "Worf"?

Tim Heidecker was on the episode to promote his Star Trek stand-up routine or something, and they were stealing his bit.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I love mai waif but I mean the best repeated joke is "....eh eh eh OH yeeeeHH. Thuh muRpheee grouuup"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Just FYI guys but the CBB TV show from IFC got added to Netflix Instant. It's a dramatically different format from the podcast but it keeps the same sense of humor and works even better. You're depriving yourself of Scott Aukerman's best material by not watching it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Power of Pecota posted:

I think "lots of shared personalities" is overselling it, Kristen Schaal/Andy Kindler were on one episode apiece.

Yeah, but there's also Eugene Mirman, Dan Mintz, PFT, Jerry Minor, Sarah Silverman and others. Not that show's use of "My Wife" has anything to do with CBB, but every CBB fan should definitely watch it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, but there's also Eugene Mirman, Dan Mintz, PFT, Jerry Minor, Sarah Silverman and others. Not that show's use of "My Wife" has anything to do with CBB, but every CBB fan should definitely watch it.

I don't watch the show or anything, I didn't know the former two were on CBB at some point and the latter three were on Bob's Burgers.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don't know if this has been covered yet, but is Stamps.com as great as Scott makes it out to be? Because the Choctaw is a hell of a pitchman.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

NienNunb posted:

I don't know if this has been covered yet, but is Stamps.com as great as Scott makes it out to be? Because the Choctaw is a hell of a pitchman.

What are you some kind of sick Post Office fan boy? You probably voted for Barrack Hussein Obamacare too.

scary ghost dog posted:

Just FYI guys but the CBB TV show from IFC got added to Netflix Instant. It's a dramatically different format from the podcast but it keeps the same sense of humor and works even better. You're depriving yourself of Scott Aukerman's best material by not watching it.

Awesome news.. beats buying them on Amazon

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 12, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Someone in TVIV tried to say that CBB tv is "anti-comedy" that's trying not to be funny. A show that starts with Scott saying his name and "Stop Tacoman" comes up on the lower third.

I loving hate TVIVers.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I mean, there are definitely significant anti-comedy elements to Aukerman's sense of humor, though. I definitely wouldn't say the show as a whole is anything but offbeat comedy but he, personally, does sort of have an anti-comedy bent that's wrapped in the trappings of very jokey comedy.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I probably shouldn't have used the word "anti-comedy" because I added that but he was arguing that the show is trying not to be funny and that's what's "funny" about it. A show where Harris Wittels says "Look, I'm sorry I slept with your sister. Now put mom on the phone."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I watched like 15 minutes of the first episode (or some episode, I think IFC had one up before the premier on their website or something) and I really didn't like what I saw. It seemed so stilted and awkward and, well, just not very funny. I haven't watched anything since then, does it get better?

I've watched a few of the streams they've done and put on youtube the last few weeks and found those to be hilarious, so I'm thinking I just like the improv nature of the podcast perhaps?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How are u posted:

I watched like 15 minutes of the first episode (or some episode, I think IFC had one up before the premier on their website or something) and I really didn't like what I saw. It seemed so stilted and awkward and, well, just not very funny. I haven't watched anything since then, does it get better?

I've watched a few of the streams they've done and put on youtube the last few weeks and found those to be hilarious, so I'm thinking I just like the improv nature of the podcast perhaps?

I did not like the first episode. And I don't think it was a case of the show finding it's feet either. Because I don't believe the episodes were aired in the order filmed. But a few episodes in I was sold and by the end I needed more.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah the Amy Poehler episode was clearly the pilot, because for one clips of it were up on IFC months and months before anything else, and for two he introduced the premise of the show. In the Zach Galifianakis episode they started with the "we went to a sunglasses store and bought ibuprofen" joke. Which is a weird way to start a series.

I still think that Galifianakis episode is funny, if only for National Treasure Thomas Lennon as the sommelier and Zach trying to imagine a dog talking. But yeah the Jon Hamm episode is where the show really hit its stride.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the Amy Poehler episode was clearly the pilot, because for one clips of it were up on IFC months and months before anything else, and for two he introduced the premise of the show. In the Zach Galifianakis episode they started with the "we went to a sunglasses store and bought ibuprofen" joke. Which is a weird way to start a series.

I still think that Galifianakis episode is funny, if only for National Treasure Thomas Lennon as the sommelier and Zach trying to imagine a dog talking. But yeah the Jon Hamm episode is where the show really hit its stride.

The pilot was the Adam Scott episode. You can tell pretty easily. It even looks a bit different than the other episodes.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Yeah, that opening bit was a little awkward, but I laughed my rear end off at "We'll be right bark" and also when Scott was naming all the dead fat comedians.

I agree with epitasis that it would be better classified as "off-beat" than "anti-comedy". Maybe I don't understand the definitions correctly, but I consider "anti-comedy" to be when the joke is that the performer is trying not to be funny, often aggressively. I don't usually enjoy this style. For CBB TV I think you just need to be in the mood for goofy humor, or have the appropriate number of bong hits in you.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
Andy Daly kills me whenever he is on the podcast. Such a funny guy with a great imagination and improv skills.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

NotWearingPants posted:

I agree with epitasis that it would be better classified as "off-beat" than "anti-comedy".

I have three questions about the TV show:

1) Is the humor on-beat?
2) Is it reverent?
3) Are the jokes expected?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, that opening bit was a little awkward, but I laughed my rear end off at "We'll be right bark" and also when Scott was naming all the dead fat comedians.

I agree with epitasis that it would be better classified as "off-beat" than "anti-comedy". Maybe I don't understand the definitions correctly, but I consider "anti-comedy" to be when the joke is that the performer is trying not to be funny, often aggressively. I don't usually enjoy this style. For CBB TV I think you just need to be in the mood for goofy humor, or have the appropriate number of bong hits in you.

There's no such thing as anti-comedy. It's a word journalists use when they need to meet a deadline or a word comedy fans use when they dislike something but don't want to acknowledge other people might legitimately like it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

There's no such thing as anti-comedy. It's a word journalists use when they need to meet a deadline or a word comedy fans use when they dislike something but don't want to acknowledge other people might legitimately like it.

Look how foolish you are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNs5tjgd5rQ

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Gilly + PFT followed by Zooks + Andy Daly is just too much.

Has Zooks been on with the Wompler before? I know they were on How Did This Get Made, but ever since Jessica St. Clair explained on Who Charted that they went to college together, I've wanted to see them together in more stuff.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

rapeface posted:

Gilly + PFT followed by Zooks + Andy Daly is just too much.

Has Zooks been on with the Wompler before? I know they were on How Did This Get Made, but ever since Jessica St. Clair explained on Who Charted that they went to college together, I've wanted to see them together in more stuff.

They were together on an Earwolf Presents of Wompler's show, where Jason played Gutterballs the sound engineer. http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-christmas-womptacular/

You should also immediately check out the Improv4Humans ep with Jason, Jessica and Lennon because holy poo poo http://www.earwolf.com/episode/quadruple-mix-in/

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

They were together on an Earwolf Presents of Wompler's show, where Jason played Gutterballs the sound engineer. http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-christmas-womptacular/

You should also immediately check out the Improv4Humans ep with Jason, Jessica and Lennon because holy poo poo http://www.earwolf.com/episode/quadruple-mix-in/

This times a million. Both of these episodes are some of the funniest things Earwolf's ever put out.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

"I got catfished by a guy pretending to be god"

I love Besser.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHEYBUDDYYOUDROPPEDYOURWATCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I don't know why I love that character so much.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I lost it when Glaser said left eye and Scott immediately followed it up with "RIP"

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

WoG posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHEYBUDDYYOUDROPPEDYOURWATCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aaaaaaaaaaaand scene.

e: vvv Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh a-yeaah??

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 19, 2013

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

WoG posted:

Could it be because it was really funny? Uuuuuhh yeah! UUUUUUUH...YEAH!

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Could it be because it was really funny? Uuuuuhh yeah! UUUUUUUH...YEAH!

the murphy group

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Today's special thursday bonus episode goes places. Dark places.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Adomian's PSH impersonation is terrible.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It's just a combination of Giamatti and Jesse Ventura. I'm pretty tired of him just doing gravelly creepy men yelling.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Do you guys honestly listen for the quality of the vocal mimicry?

The content was great. Adomian always brings something great to a character.

But then, I'm a Vic Garcia fan, so maybe I'm in the minority.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nemo posted:

It's not just the vocal mimicry. The character doesn't seem strongly based on PSH. Maybe I haven't been keeping up with him, but since when is PSH so angry and prone to outbursts?

edit: the last 20 minutes of this episode is gold, though

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2013

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm listening right now and was going to post about how funny it is but oh well!

I do have to say I was not aware that PSH was that profane.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2013

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
"Does Aquaman take fish hooks and bait as payment?"
"No, he takes clams."

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Nemo posted:

But then, I'm a Vic Garcia fan, so maybe I'm in the minority.

Give me a thousand Vic Garcia podcasts if it means I don't have to hear any more Lauren Lapkus characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The climax of that episode is one of the weirdest things ever on CBB, which is really saying something. Loved it. And Lapkus for life!