Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Wow, can't believe I missed out on all of this racing going on. These videos have been great.

I'd be down for any kind of race, I'm in Central time, and my skype is: dr.greatjob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The Doom race was pretty fun to watch, and it's given me an idea!

One of the neat things about Doom is that you can complete each level, on ultra-violent, from a pistol only start. In fact, this is how the game was designed to be played, and how they playtested it. And here's where my challenge begins.

I propose a new race. Each level will be separately timed. You must start each level the same as the first: 100% Health, 0% Armor, Pistol, 50 bullets. We'll use the time posted in the statistics screen at the end of each level as your official time. At the end of the race we add up the total time spent across all levels, the winner has the lowest overall time. In the event of a tie, the one with the highest overall kill percentage wins.

There's a couple ways we can go about this.
Option 1: The Cheater Option. After each level is completed, you start a new game and use the level skip cheat to take you to the next level.
Option 2: The Slow Option. At the start of each level you have to get yourself killed. Death resets everything back to zero. It'll take you longer to kill yourself on some levels than on others.
Option 3: The Wad Option. I can't imagine that someone else in the Doom community hasn't already thought of this, and built a .wad specifically designed around this. I'd have to do some searching to find one. (EDIT: A quick google search has come up dry, but maybe somebody found one while the Doom LP was up?)

What do you all think?

Alternate idea: Let's Race DoomRL! :suicide:

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 9, 2013

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

RickVoid posted:

There's a couple ways we can go about this.
Option 1: The Cheater Option. After each level is completed, you start a new game and use the level skip cheat to take you to the next level.
Option 2: The Slow Option. At the start of each level you have to get yourself killed. Death resets everything back to zero. It'll take you longer to kill yourself on some levels than on others.
Option 3: The Wad Option. I can't imagine that someone else in the Doom community hasn't already thought of this, and built a .wad specifically designed around this. I'd have to do some searching to find one. (EDIT: A quick google search has come up dry, but maybe somebody found one while the Doom LP was up?)

I haven't tested it, but this mod should enforce a pistol start on each level: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Duke Jan posted:

I haven't tested it, but this mod should enforce a pistol start on each level: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481

Read over the notes, and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for- except that it says it's for use with Doom 2.

Can't find the USB stick I had GZDoom and all my .wads saved to so I can't test this at the moment.

If somebody is interested in trying the race, can you give this wad a shot and report back?

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

RickVoid posted:

Read over the notes, and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for- except that it says it's for use with Doom 2.

Can't find the USB stick I had GZDoom and all my .wads saved to so I can't test this at the moment.

If somebody is interested in trying the race, can you give this wad a shot and report back?

I just quickly tested it on episode 1 and it works. I won't be able to race though, sorry.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pizzatime posted:

Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts Race starring Freezinginferno, Linebeck, JordanKai, Ragny and myself.

Races taken part in while drunk and/or high? 3 out of 3. :frogc00l:

Races in which I was in last place? 3 out of 3. :negative:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

JordanKai posted:

Races in which I was in last place? 3 out of 3.

Hey, you actually finished my romhack while some other people did not!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Races taken part in while drunk and/or high? 3 out of 3. :frogc00l:

Races in which I was in last place? 3 out of 3. :negative:

You'll be able to place second in Wario Land 4 while drunk just like I did someday. Don't worry man.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

Binding of Isaac Race Round 1, Group 4 - Apt Funk, Color Printer*, Power of Pecota, Xaiter

Technical problems were bound to happen with this, and here they start. Color printer's video somehow had about 30 minutes of extra footage on it which was mostly freezing and skipping around. There wasn't any way I could use it.

Also, I might not post one of the last two races for round 1 and just post the scores they got here, because it's got problems with 2 (half) of the videos in it. I am seeing if I can resolve the issues.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Everything that happens to me in this video, including the footage exploding in the middle, is hubris for me yelling "Cain, motherfuckers".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For those wondering, yes the Xaiter rule is in full effect here.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The cutting room floor includes ~20 minutes of disinterested Peggle Nights and Color Printer and myself realizing Apt got knocked out of the call and couldn't reconnect.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

And here's some more Mega Man 4!

Mega Man 4: Dr. Cossler's Revenge
Starring Frocobo, majormonotone, Heavy Sigh, and Rather Watch Them

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

The upgrades strike again

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

The T posted:

And here's some more Mega Man 4!

Mega Man 4: Dr. Cossler's Revenge
Starring Frocobo, majormonotone, Heavy Sigh, and Rather Watch Them

You should have gifed the Dustman screenzip that happened.

The T
May 29, 2010

theblastizard posted:

You should have gifed the Dustman screenzip that happened.

I guess I missed it. Whereabouts was it?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

The T posted:

I guess I missed it. Whereabouts was it?

Around 13:30-13:40 on MajorMonotone, when he gets hit by the Metool.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Hey, would you just look at that!

Kirby Super Star Co-Op #2: Featuring Catsworth & Adus, Suspicious Dish & Apt Funk and Greader & Futurefriend!

It's unfortunate that I didn't manage to edit and upload this video before everyone stopped caring about this race, but oh well! v:v:v

Song list:
Work it Out - Sonic R
Redial - Bomberman Heroes
X-Naut Fortress - Paper Mario: TTYD
Electrical Entertainment - Nights Into Dreams
Duff McWhalen - Mega Man X5
Shiver Star Theme - Kirby 64
Barrel Blast - Donkey Kong Country 2 (SSBB remix)
Digital Curcuit - Shadow The Hedgehog
Candy Chateau - Rayman
Beanstalk Way - Wario World
Rainbow Road - F-Zero X
Sherbert Land - Mario Kart 64
Gourmet RacexDrop it like it's Hot
Tick Tock Clock - Mario Kart DS
Above the Clouds - Kirby 64
Iron-Blue Intention - Castlevania: Bloodlines(The Next Generation)
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 - Jr. Street
Galford's Theme - Samurai Shodown 4
Final Boss Fight - Wario Land 3
Cloud Man - Mega Man 7
Mr. Dark Theme - Rayman
Staff Pond - Kirby Mass Attack
Eternity - Blue Dragon
Boomerang Kuwanger - Megaman: Maverick Hunter X
Puppet Ganon - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Chairman Dreck Fight - Rachtet & Clank
Underwater Ruins - Kirby 64

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JordanKai posted:

It's unfortunate that I didn't manage to edit and upload this video before everyone stopped caring about this race, but oh well! v:v:v

Your song list made me check this video out, so here's one new viewer.

EDIT: is there a link to Part 1? I'm not seeing it on your channel.

The T
May 29, 2010

theblastizard posted:

Around 13:30-13:40 on MajorMonotone, when he gets hit by the Metool.

Oh, hah, that is pretty good. But :effort:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

jivjov posted:

Your song list made me check this video out, so here's one new viewer.

EDIT: is there a link to Part 1? I'm not seeing it on your channel.

The first part is right here, but it was edited by someone else, so I can't promise that the music selection will be quite as up-to-snuff. :sax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm97bfeSNao

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JordanKai posted:

The first part is right here, but it was edited by someone else, so I can't promise that the music selection will be quite as up-to-snuff. :sax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm97bfeSNao

I almost wish your audio mix had the music a little louder; not to drown out the running commentary, but because you made some fine choices there. Thanks for the link; I found that with a search but wasn't sure if it was the race #1 to your race #2 or not.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Nice seeing some competent and not so competent people play the X series. Question for you guys, what gamepads do you recommend for SNEs or even N64 games? I have a USB NES controller I love but don't know what to get for SNES and newer systems. All these videos are rekindling my interest in SNES games for sure though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jakse posted:

Nice seeing some competent and not so competent people play the X series. Question for you guys, what gamepads do you recommend for SNEs or even N64 games? I have a USB NES controller I love but don't know what to get for SNES and newer systems. All these videos are rekindling my interest in SNES games for sure though.

I use a PS2 controller with a USB adapter for my SNES gaming. I've basically ignored the current gen of consoles though, so it may be that there's something more usable (a 360 controller, maybe? IIRC they're already running over USB...).

One nice thing about the PS2 controller is that you can put Select and Start on the L2 and R2 buttons, and then save/load state on the original select/start buttons. Especially when I want to play Super Metroid, being able to put the run button on a shoulder button (EDIT: as opposed to on one of the four face buttons, I mean, so you can run+jump+shoot without going into contortions) is very handy.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 12, 2013

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(a 360 controller, maybe? IIRC they're already running over USB...)

One thing that most people can agree on is that the d-pad on the 360 controller is lacking, but the controllers do work good for systems where an analog stick is the main thing you move with.

I personally use a USB SNES controller for all of my old-school gaming needs.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Jakse posted:

If you have a PS3 controller you can use it on the computer with a program called MotionInJoy.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

JordanKai posted:

Hey, would you just look at that!

Kirby Super Star Co-Op #2: Featuring Catsworth & Adus, Suspicious Dish & Apt Funk and Greader & Futurefriend!

Oh man. Someday I'll race in a video for a game I'm actually good at.

No, I won't.

Unless we race TF2.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Travv0 posted:

One thing that most people can agree on is that the d-pad on the 360 controller is lacking, but the controllers do work good for systems where an analog stick is the main thing you move with.

I personally use a USB SNES controller for all of my old-school gaming needs.

A lot of the ones on amazon have really lovely reviews, any recommendations for a good one?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Adus posted:

Oh man. Someday I'll race in a video for a game I'm actually good at.

No, I won't.

Unless we race TF2.

First person to win a full game of Hydro wins.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
USB Adapters are a thing. You might find them cheaper, but I'm not doing too much research on my phone.

I have one of the super-cheap knockoff controllers from Amazon, and the real problem is unsurprisingly the D-pad. It's a chintzy circle of plastic that likes to press two inputs at once, so you're hitting diagonals a lot. Obviously it blows when you're playing a precision game like Super Metroid. I have an old, broken SNES controller I'm planning to cannibalize the D-pad out of. I'll try to get it done, and trip report soon.

Bachus
May 31, 2011
Personally, I use http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360694904&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+xbox+360+controller for all my controller-based gaming needs. Great d-pad, the button layout's good for a variety of games/systems, and it's not terribly expensive. I just wish there was a way for it to treat the L1/R1 buttons on the face as distinct buttons from the L1/R1 buttons on the shoulders.

The T
May 29, 2010

Yeah, I personally use a Super NES Retro Adapter for SNES, NES, and GBA games, a Street Fighter IV Fightpad (I assume the SFxT ones are similar) for Genesis and Master System type games (just feels more like a Sega controller to me), and a 360 pad for N64. Be advised on the 360 pad; the L and R triggers are mapped to a Z axis, so it doesn't read if you press both of 'em at once. Makes games like Star Fox with the Tank garbage.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bachus posted:

Personally, I use http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360694904&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+xbox+360+controller for all my controller-based gaming needs. Great d-pad, the button layout's good for a variety of games/systems, and it's not terribly expensive. I just wish there was a way for it to treat the L1/R1 buttons on the face as distinct buttons from the L1/R1 buttons on the shoulders.

You're lucky. I bought one of those and it lasted for a month before the analog sticks started ghosting and loving up every game I played. It's sad because it was actually a really good controller up until that point.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FutureFriend posted:

If you have a PS3 controller you can use it on the computer with a program called MotionInJoy.

It can be really annoying to get working, so if you just want a catchall modern controller to play stuff with i'd recommend just finding a good Xbox one since there is native support for it for most games and you dont have to jump through hoops to get it working.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

JordanKai posted:

Nah, racing TF2 should be done on this map. Longest survival time wins.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Doomsday is much worse.

On the other hand, racing a Half-Life game would be neato.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

JordanKai posted:

No one wins when you play Hydro.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

French Accent posted:

Doomsday is much worse.

On the other hand, racing a Half-Life game would be neato.

Might be a bit long. Racing in stages or just using individual levels would be neat though. Race through Ravenholm, for instance?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Gaz-L posted:

Might be a bit long. Racing in stages or just using individual levels would be neat though. Race through Ravenholm, for instance?

Time off for a gravity gun-only run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Counterpoint: break it into parts and

Or gently caress it they did Link to the Past and four hours of Wario so why not. I'd be more interested in seeing the first Half-Life.

• Locked thread