Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BexGu posted:

When your looking for a writer the first questions isn't "How much do you know about the Aliens franchise" it's "Hey are you a good writer?"

Fortunately if you say no to both Gearbox will still hire you.

pixelbaron posted:

And that is literally the explanation the game gives and moves on like that's acceptable.

Obviously this gigantic, laughable hand wave is just a plot hook for an incredible up and coming DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

your evil twin posted:

Apaprently the game has a Field of View slider but it doesn't have any numbers on it, does anyone know what the default is what the various increments represent?

I've read that you can edit the game's config files to set a particular FOV (or mess with various other things) but instead is how offset it is from whatever the default is. So you can set FOVOffset=30 (which is apparently the maximum on the slider in the menu) and that means it is 30 more than whatever the default is. Why loving hide the number? From trial and error in various games I've found that I tend to like a FOV of 85 and like to actually choose that FOV rather than vaguely approximate it based on repeatedly going between the menu and the game and tweaking the slider.

There are three different ways to implement an FOV value - horizontally, horizontal with aspect ratio compensation, or vertical. A single FOV number can mean three different things depending on how the game uses it. Setting Battlefield 3's fov to 74 is the same thing as setting Team Fortress 2 to 90.

Most devs have given up on showing gamers a real FOV number because nobody knows what they mean.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

So, in light of the whole "It's okay Gearbox isn't to blame they only made multiplayer" argument, Sega has come out and ruined any chances that Gearbox might have had of passing the blame by stating that no, Gearbox developed both the singleplayer and the multiplayer, with help from Timegate.

quote:

Playnews – an independent news agency that focuses on the games industry – has informed us about an interesting statement from SEGA’s senior producer, Matthew J. Powers. According to the news, Aliens: Colonial Marines primary development has not been outsourced to TimeGate and Gearbox Software was not responsible just for the game’s multiplayer, Sega of America’s Senior Producer Matthew J. Powers confirmed to Playnews on Tuesday.

As Powers told Playnews during the Italian Aliens: Colonial Marines’ launch event:

“Absolutely not, the game has been developed by Gearbox Software. Other studios [like Timegate] helped Gearbox on the production of single and multiplayer.”

Powers debunked the rumor spread by a forum post made by an alleged former Gearbox member on Texags back in May, stating that the game’s primary development was apparently outsourced to Section 8′s team TimeGate Studios.

So there you have it everyone, straight from the horse’s mouth. The SP mode was made by Gearbox and the other studios helped the team behind the Borderlands series to complete it. Of course we don’t know how much those studios contributed to it, but fact is that Gearbox is responsible for the SP mode too (and not for only the MP mode).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lodin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsVDWcTUdE0

Now we just need Randy to come out of the woodwoork and yell at everyone on the Internet for being mean to his little game.

Eh, there's plenty of other things to call this game out on. I assume most games have some decal limit, though not as obvious as this.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Hey fellow money savers. AVP 2010 finally finished downloading overnight and I got to play a little this morning before work. Just realized when the game came out I played on an XP machine in dx9. The game looks pretty drat nice with dx11. I'll be up for some survival or whatever you guys who also suffered through the 17 gig download are up for playing.

That killing floor mod I mentioned a few pages ago is also pretty drat cool
http://www.mostimpressive.nl/AKF/
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=111934166

The first waves start out kind of lame with shambling aliens that thankfully get a lot more spastic and wall crawley when they get close to you. The game gets really loving hard in later waves. On the workshop page is the ip for a 16 player dev server I'd love to see fill up with pulse rifle loving goons at some point.

I've also got AVP classic 2000 reinstalled, which if you guys haven't tried it is probably one of the best "old" games on steam. It even supports modern resolutions and has the old and awesome cd music integrated. http://store.steampowered.com/app/3730/

Since I'm sperging this morning about aliens stuff, I'm not sure if its been mentioned yet but Xenomorph's video lets plays of the older games are loving amazing. I never really replied in his threads told him how great they are so I'll do that here. If you guys haven't seen them you're in for a treat. He's got awesome movie clip tie ins and even special guest voice overs from the films.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2971767

The aliens ip is just so perfect for video games I'll still probably buy A:CM during a steam sale down the road, especially if they patch multiplayer into something that isn't god awful.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 12, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

MUFFlNS posted:

So, in light of the whole "It's okay Gearbox isn't to blame they only made multiplayer" argument, Sega has come out and ruined any chances that Gearbox might have had of passing the blame by stating that no, Gearbox developed both the singleplayer and the multiplayer, with help from Timegate.

That was pretty cool of SEGA to do.

This would indicate SEGA are unlikely to work with Gearbox in the future.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BexGu posted:

When your looking for a writer the first questions isn't "How much do you know about the Aliens franchise" it's "Hey are you a good writer?"

Can someone link to this video? I can't seem to find it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
How can a PC game that is out in the year of our lord 2013 look this bad?

I like how the animator didn't spend the five minutes fixing the fingers going into the aliens head in this one. :effort:

This is apparently max settings on PC. Planetside 2 looks better than this on low with shadows off.

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011
Just picked up the game, gamertag is Jrizzy1909, looking for buddies to kick alien butt with!

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

keyframe posted:

So I just read that Hicks is loving alive in this game, how the gently caress is that canon? :psyduck:

Apparently Hicks was woken up from cryo sleep by the computer because he was the highest ranking/only marine on board and Weyland Yutani bad guys arrived and boarded the ship. Then bad stuff happened and as an emergency measure the cryo pods were ejected, so Hicks was stuck on board with the bad guys.

Of course the problem with that is that Hicks' cryo pod was also ejected, and there was a corpse in it, who was the dead guy in the pod? In the game someone actually asks that and Hicks says "That's a long story," and that's all you get.
Apparently. Maybe there are also some clues or audio logs or something that give more info on that, this is just based on what other people have said.

Anyway, that's the bit that made most reviewers say the story is really poo poo, how can it possibly be regarded as a proper canon sequel if its going to pull poo poo like that. Yup, a wizard did it.

The funny thing is, I can actually forgive it. This must be why Gearbox said that the game will redeem Alien 3 for Aliens fans. James Cameron called killing off Bishop, Newt, and Hicks at the start of Alien 3 "a slap in the face" to him and to fans of the previous film. Actor Michael Biehn, who played Hicks, was also really pissed off and so he demanded and received almost as much money for the use of his likeness in one scene as he had been paid for his role in Aliens. And Alan Dean Foster, who wrote the novelizations of the first two Alien films, called the death of Newt and Hicks "an obscenity", and when writing the novelization for Alien 3 he wrote a version that changed it so that Newt stayed alive, but it was rejected as they didn't want him changing the plot.

Personally I only consider Alien and Aliens to be "canon". Alien 3 is actually an OK movie in its own right but it ruins Aliens, and ruining one of the most kick arse sci-fi/horror/action movie ever is not forgivable. And there's plenty of precedent for official canon movies or tv shows or games becoming non-canon later on. The movie Halloween H20 is a sequel to Halloween, stars Jamie Lee Curtis and is set 20 years after the first Halloween movie, and pretends that none of the other films happened, because they were poo poo. Now Gearbox weren't going to go as far as to say that Alien 3 never happened (if they had, that would have been pretty loving awesome... the game would be the "true" sequel to Aliens instead of Alien 3 (though without Sigourney Weaver I guess that couldn't have really worked). So yeah, Alien 3 still happened mostly as we saw it, but Gearbox decided that one particular bit needed a bit of rectonning, and I guess Fox went along with it because everyone hated that aspect of Alien 3.

de_dust posted:

Maybe he put off writing and playing the game because he was too busy playing an actually good game and poo poo one out as fast as possible. Like a term paper.

I do like the MASSIVE wallpaper ads for the game though. Nothing fishy at all about that. No sir.

Actually if you check any of EGM's other reviews, there is always a massive wallpaper in the background for the game, regardless of review score. It's just how they do their review pages.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 12, 2013

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Which looks better?

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

PonchAxis posted:

Can someone link to this video? I can't seem to find it.

Please god someone link this video. I need this!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Me and two other bro's will be playing this in co-op mode tonight. I will let you guys know if it is still a massive piece of poo poo even when playing co-op.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

your evil twin posted:

Personally I only consider Alien and Aliens to be "canon". Alien 3 is actually an OK movie in its own right but it ruins Aliens, and ruining one of the most kick arse sci-fi/horror/action movie ever is not forgivable.

I think that claiming Alien 3 ruined Aliens because it killed Hicks and Newt is absolutely ridiculous. I'm of the personal opinion that one of the best things about Alien 3 is that Fincher had the balls to kill them off (and Ripley too) although I can see why people would be bummed about it. I really think it would have sucked to have to put up with Newt and her screaming for another film though, and although Hicks was cool, he was about as flat, one-dimensional and uninteresting as could be. Characters such as Clemens and Dillon had so much more character development in comparison that I'm glad we got to see them on-screen rather than Newt punishing our ears with her screaming and Hicks being boring as poo poo and falling asleep.

Still, liking Alien 3 or not is purely opinion so y'know, different strokes :shobon: However I do think that saying it retroactively ruined Aliens is crazy talk.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

your evil twin posted:

Personally I only consider Alien and Aliens to be "canon".

The Alien universe is a septic tank. More poo poo is continually added to the pile from too many different sources, and it will never ever be sorted out properly, because honestly there's too much poo poo.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

BadLlama posted:

Me and two other bro's will be playing this in co-op mode tonight. I will let you guys know if it is still a massive piece of poo poo even when playing co-op.

What's your Steam handle? I'll add you. I need people to play with to laugh for hours. Or at least play multiplayer with.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

Which looks better?

Yeah it's not that bad but still, compare this one

with this:

:psyduck:

I love alien/aliens as much as the next nerd but I'm glad I gave this a wide pass. Maybe if it goes down in a sale I'll pick it up for coop/mp, but meh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

TheBuilder posted:

The Alien universe is a septic tank. More poo poo is continually added to the pile from too many different sources, and it will never ever be sorted out properly, because honestly there's too much poo poo.

Sounds like it's time for a reboot! :q:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Utnayan posted:

What's your Steam handle? I'll add you. I need people to play with to laugh for hours. Or at least play multiplayer with.

I think its just 'BadLlama' let me see if I can figure it out.

VVV 'Iamthath3ro' so young, so dumb when steam launched.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 12, 2013

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

BadLlama posted:

I think its just 'BadLlama' let me see if I can figure it out.

Yeah there are a lot of you.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Judging by the comments on various Let's Play videos around Youtube, the "average gamer" certainly doesn't find too many faults with the game. I bet they're still selling this poo poo enough to make a profit.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think some people are being too hard on the game. :(

The texture issue shown above, to be fair, IS in a dark area and you're not exactly supposed to be looking at it with such scrutiny.

And the game is pretty good, so far. I've just escaped the doomed Sulaco and crashed on LV-426, and it's been fun. Only problem was the get on board the dropship to escape, where it seemed the mercs had super aim and could one shot kill me from a mile away. I had to replay that one about 10 times before I got it. I guess that's what I get for ULTIMATE BADASS mode. :black101:

I hope this doesn't make me an apologist. :ohdear:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I guess the ranking system is unbalancing multiplayer. Marine XP goes up while playing any mode, whether it's singleplayer, co-op, or multiplayer. Aliens only get ranking when they play multiplayer.

So you only have to play a couple of hours of the singleplayer campaign to have a kitted out badass Marine that can take out some new Alien player trying to make his way up in the world.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a solid, definitive list of reasons why this game is terrible and should not be bought? A ton of my friends are all looking to buy it and I want to save them. (without reading 36 pages of this thread)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

MUFFlNS posted:

I think that claiming Alien 3 ruined Aliens because it killed Hicks and Newt is absolutely ridiculous. I'm of the personal opinion that one of the best things about Alien 3 is that Fincher had the balls to kill them off (and Ripley too) although I can see why people would be bummed about it. I really think it would have sucked to have to put up with Newt and her screaming for another film though, and although Hicks was cool, he was about as flat, one-dimensional and uninteresting as could be. Characters such as Clemens and Dillon had so much more character development in comparison that I'm glad we got to see them on-screen rather than Newt punishing our ears with her screaming and Hicks being boring as poo poo and falling asleep.

Still, liking Alien 3 or not is purely opinion so y'know, different strokes :shobon: However I do think that saying it retroactively ruined Aliens is crazy talk.

Im going to agree with this. As much as I liked Aliens, I don't really think there was anywhere else to take that particular angle. Not to mention that Alien 3 is really bleak and I think the beginning scene strikes the perfect setup for the rest of the movie.

MUFFlNS posted:

This just keeps getting better and better.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a solid, definitive list of reasons why this game is terrible and should not be bought? A ton of my friends are all looking to buy it and I want to save them. (without reading 36 pages of this thread)

This review from Adam Sessler clearly explains why its bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5bt2h1M-E

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

catpowerd posted:

Please god someone link this video. I need this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vzvi2qtVMA&t=190s

Should start just before it appears.

Edit: There is no Badass crosshair. Maybe that is taken from a different video?

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

No, say what you will, but if you really like Aliens thematically then Aliens 3 takes a giant poo poo over it.

Aliens is all about overcoming trauma and moving on with your life just as Alien is about trauma taken to an extreme. (Rape metaphor, true, but trauma as a whole as well.) Ripley begins Aliens suffer from severe trauma and is unable to move on with her life, taking a lovely job and barely existing. Aliens as a whole is a movie about overcoming that trauma and suggesting it doesn't have to ruin your life or your relationships with people. It's weirdly optimistic for a movie about rape space bugs and unsubtle Vietnam allegories but whatever.

Alien 3 goes "no, actually, any trauma will ruin your life and continue to ruin your life. It will destroy all your relationships and the only way out is suicide." I find Alien 3 incredibly distasteful for that. As a film it is fine. Thematically it's atrocious and embarrassing nihilism.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 12, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Pretty sure the 'Badass' thing was edited in by someone.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

KiddieGrinder posted:

I think some people are being too hard on the game. :(

The texture issue shown above, to be fair, IS in a dark area and you're not exactly supposed to be looking at it with such scrutiny.

Yet they approve this type of behavior of exploring around while looking for audio logs and other gimmick collectibles. I have also seen a lot of the horrible textures in lighted areas right in the middle of a path I am supposed to run in.

Also, yes you are an apologist. There is no excuse for using PS2 art assets in a 2013 game.

If what they say about multiplayer is true and it is horribly broken within the ranking system, that would be the creme of the crop for this mess.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Edit: There is no Badass crosshair. Maybe that is taken from a different video?

Its probably a reference to the fact that Randy Pitchford uses it to describe everything he likes

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

With the revelation that timegate worked on this it kinda sounds like gearbox was brought on to salvage a game whose production was encountering problems.

Isn't that basically gearbox's industry specialty?

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 12, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGRjl-QCIs

Has this been posted? If not it's worth a look.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

PonchAxis posted:

This review from Adam Sessler clearly explains why its bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5bt2h1M-E

Thank you this is perfect.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The best part of Alien: Resurrection was the two soldiers chewing gum in cadence standing guard outside the door in the beginning.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

MUFFlNS posted:

I think that claiming Alien 3 ruined Aliens because it killed Hicks and Newt is absolutely ridiculous.

Well, the trouble is that it was just a weird film that didn't feel like any kind of successor to either of the first films, so people felt largely betrayed at the time, arguably with good reason. The entire pay-off at the end of Aliens is the united 'nuclear family' in Ripley, Hicks and Newt. Ripley literally does battle with the other maternal figure of the film in order to win the right for 'her' child's survival. There was absolutely no suggestion (in the original Aliens cut, since retconned in the current release versions) that this family would then be torn apart.

It's kind of important since although Cameron obviously went his own way with Aliens in terms of style and presentation, he actually carried through the themes that the first film played around with and paid them off in the ending. Despite turning out this peerless (until T2) action-thriller-Vietnam-allegory blockbuster, he allows for these surprisingly tender moments, and that was him actually showing a lot of respect to Scott. Fincher - even given the relative lack of control he had over the showrunning - always intended to pay very little respect to the story, fans or previous directors. Whether you think that's good Fincher or bad Fincher is I guess personal preference.

Alien3 was 20 years old last year and honestly it almost took that long for some people to be able to revisit it and grant that it might have some merit as a part of the canon, as well as a film on its own terms.

edit: slightly echoing what ImpAtom posted.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 12, 2013

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

MUFFlNS posted:

I think that claiming Alien 3 ruined Aliens because it killed Hicks and Newt is absolutely ridiculous.

I didn't like Newt's death because it makes the last section of Aliens fall completely flat, as Ripley's heroics are ultimately wasted and pointless. From Newt's point of view being 'saved' meant she gets to live for maybe an extra ten minutes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

All I want to know is when will we get a film of aliens invading Earth directed by J.J. Abrams with all the explosions and special effects we have come to love from Mr. Abrams. And no not the AVP films, I am talking a full blown alien invasion of Earth. Aliens but on tons of steroids with a lovely plot would work.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 12, 2013

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Crashbee posted:

I didn't like Newt's death because it makes the last section of Aliens fall completely flat, as Ripley's heroics are ultimately wasted and pointless. From Newt's point of view being 'saved' meant she gets to live for maybe an extra ten minutes.

Are we gonna sleep all the way home? :smith:

The worst part for "Newt" is that the actress who played her never got another acting gig because of her parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The point of Alien 3 isn't that trauma can't be overcome or that doing the right thing is pointless; it's that doing the right thing is the correct course of action regardless of the end result. It's just as optimistic as Aliens, it's just not as nice about it.

• Locked thread