Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

BexGu posted:

Speaking off....any one know if GMG actually give refunds?

Bug them enough; I'm sure they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
This is one of the most boring games I played in the last year or so. Jesus christ, just endless corridors, nothing's changing.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

yknow as much flak as this has already gotten, GB did just now, like minutes ago release a bug fix patch, and the game itself has been out for... about two days. So if youre gonna defend DICE like that, its only fair to reserve your vitriol until a few more patches in.

They can't possibly patch in: better animations, better textures, a better plot that respects the source material. They may as well just make a new game.

I get that some people have this enormous hate boner for BF3, but that doesn't really justify how terrible A:CM looks. You're literally giving them points for releasing a Day One patch, dude.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

They show the service tunnel but never specify how far that tunnel runs. Creative license, bro.

There's "creative license", and there's "blatantly ignoring the source material so you can wholesale lift entire setpieces and use them in fanfiction you've written". Which is what this is.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 12, 2013

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Only on the inside.

He's going to have a busy month as he needs to play this game and figure out how every minute detail fits into the carefully plotted and planned multiverse as managed by 20th Century Fox.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

PonchAxis posted:

Giantbomb is about to stream the game here: http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb. This has been a pretty hilarious trainwreck so far.
Colonial Marines: Colonial Marines
Really, where are the aliens? Endless corridors filled with cannon fodder.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Is giantbomb.com not working for anyone else? All the "isitdown?" sites are saying it's just me. keep getting a "Chrome could not connect". Never seen this before. Even their twitch is refusing me. Giantbomb hates me ;_;

e: I'll have to settle for the recorded first look later then. ...They do record 'em right?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

rizuhbull posted:

Is giantbomb.com not working for anyone else? All the "isitdown?" sites are saying it's just me. keep getting a "Chrome could not connect". Never seen this before.

They just launched their new site and they're having problems with that.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

rizuhbull posted:

Is giantbomb.com not working for anyone else? All the "isitdown?" sites are saying it's just me. keep getting a "Chrome could not connect". Never seen this before.

They're launching a new site today from what I've read.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Bizob posted:

A lot of silence, pointed questions, wry laughter.

Yeah. It's just really sad.

Saying the game is "competent" says enough in some ways.

edit: okay, second xeno after a million "Wey-Yu" humans and they started getting a little more critical. Guessing it's downhill from here.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 12, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Giantbomb really tried to give it the benefit of the doubt but they're crumbling fast.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
They just saw their first Alien so far in the stream and now have started ripping on it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really glad I didn't buy this piece of poo poo. Gonna reinstall and replay AVP2 in protest :colbert:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I need to get AvP2

I've never played it. :(

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Palpek posted:

Somebody linked this amaazing video review in the Steam thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs

I almost choked at the "MEANWHILE AT SEGA MARKETING TEAM HQ" bit.

Hey, at least the AvP2Wii U version look pretty good!

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Palpek posted:

Somebody linked this amaazing video review in the Steam thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs

I almost choked at the "MEANWHILE AT SEGA MARKETING TEAM HQ" bit.

This is the best video review I've ever seen.

pixelbaron posted:

I need to get AvP2

Yes, yes you do.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

fivegears4reverse posted:

They can't possibly patch in: better animations, better textures, a better plot that respects the source material. They may as well just make a new game.

I get that some people have this enormous hate boner for BF3, but that doesn't really justify how terrible A:CM looks. You're literally giving them points for releasing a Day One patch, dude.

And you said they were already distancing themselves from the game. Why even release a patch then, right?

quote:

There's "creative license", and there's "blatantly ignoring the source material so you can wholesale lift entire setpieces and use them in fanfiction you've written". Which is what this is.

I know this fight is retarded from the offset so let me preface this by saying: it doesn't loving matter. Resurrection exists. It is a thing that is Canon. The Aliens Universe is a big, butchered mess.

But to your point: The source material for this game is exactly three movies. No tech manual poo poo, no comic poo poo, nothing specific. If you wanna show me a blueprint of Hadleys Hope with a big "THIS IS HOW BIG THIS THING IS" then you'd have a point. It doesn't exist. You can certainly be mad about it! I'll probably be :/

InsanityIsCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 12, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm reading the Gearbox forums and apparently the true horror is the Xbox version:

quote:

But what they produce here for the xbox is a shame and a cheek. Compare the graphics of the xbox version and the pc version. After 3feet sight the textures are so blurry i can't say what this object has to be. cliffs in the background got no texture, they're blank and look like abscess.

quote:

Ive played the PC & Xbox 360 versions of the game now & the Xbox version is absolutely shocking !! PC runs fine no noticeable issues other than a little bit of graphical bits but nothing thats to bad, then you look at Xbox version & it looks terrible, it plays really stiff & doesnt feel right at all. I dont know how the same game can feel like two totally different games, ive advised everyone i know to avoid console versions & to play it on PC.
When you read about how bad the PC version is from various sources, it's straight scary when it's compared in such bright colors with the Xbox version.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

pixelbaron posted:

I need to get AvP2

AVP2 was cool, but I personally think avp99 (or classic 2000 on steam) is better. Its just more repayable because of the unpredictability and speed of the AI. The aliens aren't as scripted and run walls and are fast and scary as hell.

AVP 2 is definitely worth playing through though. I wish it was for sale as a digital download somewhere.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah I still load up AvP Classic every now and then and me and my friends will play co-op or alien tag. Still fun and scary as poo poo at times.

I am with you on the digital download, wish AvP2 was up somewhere.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

And you said they were already distancing themselves from the game. Why even release a patch then, right?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/how-much-of-aliens-colonial-marines-did-gearbox-actually-make

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/the-future-according-to-randy-pitchford?abthid=51193083323b9b3f14000003

“It’s a big, ambitious game,” Pitchford explained. “Some of the other studios involved, we decided that these guys are awesome. They did a lot of really valuable work. We’re not contractually obligated to put anybody’s credits there, but we value talent and respect talent. We wanted to make sure that those logos were there and that work was represented. In big efforts, that’s not an uncommon thing. You don’t usually see it up front.”

quote:

I know this fight is retarded from the offset so let me preface this by saying: it doesn't loving matter. Ressurection exists. It is a thing that is Canon. The Aliens Universe is a big, butchered mess.

But to your point: The source material for this game is exactly three movies. No tech manual poo poo, no comic poo poo, nothing specific. If you wanna show me a blueprint of Hadleys Hope with a big "THIS IS HOW BIG THIS THING IS" then you'd have a point. It doesn't exist. You can certainly be mad about it!

It's like you're deliberately ignoring things people are posting that might prove just how wrong you are about this game.

Also: No "tech manual"?

http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Coloni...echnical+manual

This by itself is enough to show just how off the Marines side of this game really is by itself.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 12, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

yknow as much flak as this has already gotten, GB did just now, like minutes ago release a bug fix patch, and the game itself has been out for... about two days. So if youre gonna defend DICE like that, its only fair to reserve your vitriol until a few more patches in.

BF3's launch was bad but it's nowhere close to this piece of poo poo even if you squint.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

In the escape multiplayer mode are there AI controlled trash aliens or is it literally just 4v4?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

BadLlama posted:

In the escape multiplayer mode are there AI controlled trash aliens or is literally just 4v4?

None of the multiplayer modes have AI, unless you do the drop in co-op with friends.

Some might say that's a blessing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That shot of the plant over the colony proves pretty much nothing. We have no idea how tall it is (or at least, I don't, Xenomrph could probably tell us if he wasn't drowning in bourbon somewhere) and so have no idea how far it is. Perspective is a bitch. I got the idea that it was separate from the colony, but not very far away. A mile at most, maybe?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:laugh:

Gearbox forums are hilarious at the moment. It's like an alien infestation with fanboy marines desperately trying to detonate themselves in the swarm.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

It's like you're deliberately ignoring things people are posting that might prove just how wrong you are about this game.

Thanks for proving my point I guess?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

BadLlama posted:

In the escape multiplayer mode are there AI controlled trash aliens or is it literally just 4v4?

The only multiplayer AI mode we know of is a forthcoming $15 DLC horde mode.

edit: watching the GB stream, don't the number of facehuggers in the tubes ignore the two Burke took out to set on Ripley and Newt? Its nit picking but given how much they boasted about how detail orientated these are clear mistakes.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 12, 2013

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
That Giantbomb stream is like watching a really really bad movie with your friends. When you're hammered.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Also: No "tech manual"?

http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Coloni...echnical+manual

This by itself is enough to show just how off the Marines side of this game really is by itself.

Good lord are you reaching. The manual was fan made. I've yet to see any game that actually references it. Most companies go solely off the movies. So yes, it exists.

Again, this argument is retarded :sigh: I'm taking a breather. Hopefully my copy's at home so I can trudge through it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ravenfood posted:

That shot of the plant over the colony proves pretty much nothing. We have no idea how tall it is (or at least, I don't, Xenomrph could probably tell us if he wasn't drowning in bourbon somewhere) and so have no idea how far it is. Perspective is a bitch. I got the idea that it was separate from the colony, but not very far away. A mile at most, maybe?

The whole reason they were trying to escape the colony in Aliens is because the atmospheric processor was going to explode and they were going to die without evac, even if they managed to hold of the bugs.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I wouldnt have minded a mediocre Aliens game. This is just...bad.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Ninja fetus posted:

That Giantbomb stream is like watching a really really bad movie with your friends. When you're hammered.

Except GB isn't really trashing it even a tenth as much as people in this thread are.

the glow
May 31, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Giantbomb is about to stream the game here: http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb. This has been a pretty hilarious trainwreck so far.

"How much more do you guys want to play this?"

"Uh, I, I would say... not much"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The whole reason they were trying to escape the colony in Aliens is because the atmospheric processor was going to explode and they were going to die without evac, even if they managed to hold of the bugs.
Oh, no, I agree totally. The colony should be utterly hosed. I was just responding to people posting that picture like it meant anything.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Yeah, in the director's cut they can see the emergency venting right out the window. The Atmosphere Processor was very close to the colony.

Ravenfood posted:

Oh, no, I agree totally. The colony should be utterly hosed. I was just responding to people posting that picture like it meant anything.

How is a picture of the processor right next to the colony, further backed up by the emergency venting scene not proof?

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 12, 2013

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Lodin posted:

Now we just need Randy to come out of the woodwoork and yell at everyone on the Internet for being mean to his little game.

Oh he's mad alright, and well prepared. :v:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Except GB isn't really trashing it even a tenth as much as people in this thread are.

The giantbomb stream was literally that they gave it the benefit of the doubt and slowly but surely got disappointed with it as the stream went on.

E:They're playing multiplayer now and a dude's name on steam is JIM LAHEY AND RANDY CAN gently caress OFF. :v:

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 12, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

The only multiplayer AI mode we know of is a forthcoming $15 DLC horde mode.

Don't really care about an AI mode really just wondering if aliens had AI cannon fodder. I can't imagine playing L4D as a strict 4v4 game : /

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Harmonica posted:

Seems like this is GiantBomb biting their tongue rather than ripping the game a new one as you might expect. I guess this event was pre-arranged.
They rip into it pretty hard with Drew actually asking what is it about this game that makes him find it so boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Atleast the multiplayer looks okay

• Locked thread