Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

Thumbnail looks like a screenshot from UT99 but click it.

I missed playing Half-Life. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't get it?

It is A:CM.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

pixelbaron posted:

Where...what...how

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

pixelbaron posted:

The textures haven't loaded yet, right?

Right?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

pixelbaron posted:

What part of the game is that from and on what settings? I saw a lot of bad textures while running through the game, but I don't recall seeing that.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
I actually mistook that screenshot as being from Opposing Force for a minute there.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Neo Rasa posted:

It was really good. It had the largest levels of any Doom-related product at the time which was very impressive. If you've ever played EYE: Divine Cybermancy, places like the hangars and the atmospheric processor levels had that caliber of epic vertical space to them and it would just about break the engine in some instances. It also is, I believe, the first FPS to have no enemies at all in the first level and just atmosphere building via cunning use of triggers and voice samples from the movie. This was unheard of at the time in FPS and it's inspired many imitators.

Man that AOL Aliens game was so good. I though it was interesting how the marine players would have access to a private chat room and level information before the match started while the alien players would get no prep period and would have to coordinate in game.

Anyone have a link to some screenshots or descriptions on this AOL Aliens game? I'm pissed off I missed a cool game on AOL I could have played that maybe would have better justified racking up mega bills for my folks instead of playing that lovely DnD game.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

pixelbaron posted:

Holy poo poo I was looking at System Shock 2 Texture revamp mods just a few minutes ago and, well...

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shyfted One posted:

What part of the game is that from and on what settings? I saw a lot of bad textures while running through the game, but I don't recall seeing that.

Not sure. I was browsing other forums and came across an image dump of bad screenshots for the game:

Link

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
http://www.videogamer.com/videos/aliens_colonial_marines_what_the_hell_happened_to_aliens_colonial_marines_2.html

A demo and final game comparison of A:CM, holy poo poo its amazing on what was faked in the demo we saw months ago.

Its stuttering in loading for me, but its worthwhile the wait. The comparison of the map room in the demo and final one is laughtastic.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
haha this is amazing:

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

keyframe posted:

haha this is amazing:

It's screenshots like this one that make me believe this is actually a mod.

For the first Half-life.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

happyhippy posted:

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/aliens_colonial_marines_what_the_hell_happened_to_aliens_colonial_marines_2.html

A demo and final game comparison of A:CM, holy poo poo its amazing on what was faked in the demo we saw months ago.

Its stuttering in loading for me, but its worthwhile the wait. The comparison of the map room in the demo and final one is laughtastic.

I don't get this at all. How can they make all the assets and animations and lighting and FX for scenes and then somehow it's not in the final product? Why was so much lost in translation? Someone with developing experience please enlighten us

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 13, 2013

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
If we're doing screenshots, here's around 90 minutes of co-op campaign poo poo that I grabbed last night in between fits of astonished laughter. Maxed graphics, maxed FOV.

Highlights:

Also, the Forbes review is positively glowing, and gives the game an 8/10 (would've been a 7/10 but there's online co-op!)

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Some more gems:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wasn't Forbes supposed to be some bastion of Real Game Journalism or some crap?

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
What the gently caress is going on here?

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

keyframe posted:

haha this is amazing:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, if they rate it based on what it was made out to be thematically which is a FPS in the universe of Alien it certainly does that. Whether it does it well or to any satisfactory degree is a different story.

Also I got a refund! This game was awful and I'm never pre-ordering a game again. Thanks for the lesson in consumerism, GearBox!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

keyframe posted:

haha this is amazing:

Big head mode? :staredog:

How does this sort of thing even happen? I mean, did no one turn around and say, "drat, you know...we're cranking out a real stinker here...maybe we need to redo some of this before it ships.."

I just want to understand the psychology behind it. Like is there a turning point when you realize that all is lost and you just kind of say gently caress It and press on to the inevitable gruesome end?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Next Alien game should just copy Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Hell, just get frictional games to make it.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I tried petitioning Steam for a refund but they just sent me a form letter back saying 'sorry, no refunds' :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

GOTY

Jesus Christ.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Majuju posted:

I tried petitioning Steam for a refund but they just sent me a form letter back saying 'sorry, no refunds' :(

You should respond with that you thought you were purchasing a video game not a pile of poo poo. Obviously a case of false advertising.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Majuju posted:

I hear they are pretty understanding with refunds if it's your first time asking for one, but if you've gotten a refund in the past it's pretty much impossible. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

pixelbaron posted:

Some more gems:

I've never held an interest in playing this game but seeing poo poo like that is both hilarious and great entertainment. Thanks Gearbox!

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
Anyone know if GMG would give a refund? I can always as Steam to remove it from my account, but I'd like to salvage some cash.

I wasn't going to get this game but a friend convinced me a week ago. I knew after I didn't enjoy Borderlands 1 and 2 that I should have kept away from Gearbox and Randy the Liar.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

HelmetCheese posted:

I've never held an interest in playing this game but seeing poo poo like that is both hilarious and great entertainment. Thanks Gearbox!

This is probably the first time I ever wanted to ironically play a video game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gonna say, a incredibly over-hyped, lazily handled and completely disappointing game seems a good tribute to the Colonial 'game over man, game over' Marines, god rest their ultimate badass souls.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

pixelbaron posted:

I hear they are pretty understanding with refunds if it's your first time asking for one, but if you've gotten a refund in the past it's pretty much impossible. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

This is the first time I've ever asked for a refund on Steam. I've got a shitload of terrible games on my account including Stormrise, Space Siege, Dino D-Day AND ORION: Dino Beatdown. I basically put all of this into the ticket, and received only this as a reply:

quote:

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Majuju,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

As with most software products, we do not offer refunds or exchanges on games, DLC or in-game items purchased on our website or through the Steam Client.

Please review Section 3 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement for more information.
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=subscriber_agreement

We will make an exception and refund preorders as long as the request is received prior to the release of the game. This only applies to preorders purchased from your account, preordered titles received or sent through the Steam Trading system cannot be refunded.

Which basically indicates that nobody actually read the appeal I made, just looked at the word 'refund' and sent me this :(

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

BrandonGK posted:

I'm sure you could make an amazing drinking game out of this. Take a shot every time you notice something retarded.

A shot of beer because otherwise you'd be dead after 2 levels.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Gonna say, a incredibly over-hyped, lazily handled and completely disappointing game seems a good tribute to the Colonial 'game over man, game over' Marines, god rest their ultimate badass souls.

Players: What's this crap supposed to be?
Reviewers: A game, I think.
SEGA: It's good for you, boy. Eat it.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There's a guy who works there who is really decent at critically examining games journalism and gaming in general. That review and its seeming lies, especially her glowing account of the AI, would suggest he is not in a position of editorial control.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ninja fetus posted:

It's screenshots like this one that make me believe this is actually a mod.

For the first Half-life.
I laughed for a solid five minutes at this.

If the "demo" was just a target render it makes you wonder whether they lost the licence for that engine (if it wasn't UE3) and had to start from scratch or something? Maybe a disgruntled employee wiped it and they didn't have backups? Even as a simulated demo there's a lot of art assets they could've reused.

It makes no sense at all that it would end up being a N64 game.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

Going to FRAPS a bunch of the game, without commentary, for people to enjoy, I think.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

The only time I've really heard of them offering refunds is for really bad/admitted technical problems with a game. The only exception to this was the warz or whatever it was called.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

A bunch of goons declared it as such after they ran an article that was agreeing with them over how the Mass Effect 3 ending was the worst thing since sliced Hitler.

Their games coverage is effectively a barely-edited blog that just about anyone can submit content to. You get some good stuff here and there, but it's largely just as bad (and quite often worse) than your average site.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

From that linked facepunch forum thread:

Is this for real? It's a photoshop right?

edit: God loving drat it, I need to wear my glasses.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Gutcruncher posted:

People keep bringing up good Aliens games, a more recent one being Infestation for DS. It's heavily inspired by Metroid, which was heavily inspired by Aliens.

The back of the box says that it's a Gearbox game but dont worry, it's actually a Wayforward game.

Aliens: Infestation is a loving great game and you ow it to yourself to play it if you like Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dominic White posted:

A bunch of goons declared it as such after they ran an article that was agreeing with them over how the Mass Effect 3 ending was the worst thing since sliced Hitler.

Their games coverage is effectively a barely-edited blog that just about anyone can submit content to. You get some good stuff here and there, but it's largely just as bad (and quite often worse) than your average site.

The rule that a lot of folks follow (inadvertently some of the time), regardless of how they actually feel about game journalism in general, is that reviewers suck and are always paid off for good reviews. Unless of course you agree with them, then they are Game Journalism Warriors who are Looking Out For You.

• Locked thread