Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

John Magnum posted:

Whereas if the explanation is just "Gearbox really blows at making video games", then... Well, you get a lot of the people who have said they're swearing off Gearbox.

One of the things that really does surprise me about all this is that Gearbox apparently has a reputation as a AAA game developer (for whatever that might mean). Which is news to me. Even the Half-Life expansions that put them on the radar in the first place didn't seem to me to be particularly special. Gearbox always just felt like the epitome of a "generic shooter" developer with the massive amount of Brothers in Arms games they churned out relentlessly. I guess their reputation really started to get built up with Borderlands, but I have to admit the moment someone described it to me as "Diablo with guns" I instantly knew it wasn't a game for me, so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Let's not get carried away, Opposing Force is really good.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The only good part was getting lots of marines together to fight lots of aliens. And I liked that so much I learned how to edit maps in Hammer simply for that purpose :colbert:

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Off-topic, but the Alf Pogs bit might be my favorite classic Simpsons joke of all time :haw:

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
For me, the thing about Borderlands is that it's actually fairly unique. There really aren't all that many shooters with full campaign co-op--these days, the common trend is for there to just be a horde mode (Modern Warfare 3, Section 8 Prejudice, Mass Effect 3, Bad Company 2, Bulletstorm) or for there to be a bunch of individual standalone missions (RAGE, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Far Cry 3). There are really few that have four-player co-op. And there are pretty much none that have four-player campaign co-op and character building and loot. So even the the gunplay is only decent, it's in a rarefied enough conceptual space that a lot of people (including me!) latch onto it passionately.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I don't think this has been dropped off here, but I'm sure you'll all enjoy this a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqIh9_zAp4

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

I don't think this has been dropped off here, but I'm sure you'll all enjoy this a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqIh9_zAp4

I guess we need one on every page, sure.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Also how are there blind aliens that can only sense via hearing when literally all aliens are blind.

Gearbox...
I already addressed that about a dozen pages ago... :sigh:

I mean I'm all for making GBS threads all over this game for its faults, but the "blind Aliens" one actually isn't among them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This would be about 100 times better if when tell me lies kicks in, rather than a montage, it would be that clip of the Xenomorph dancing, or one of the zombies shuffling along.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

John Magnum posted:

For me, the thing about Borderlands is that it's actually fairly unique. There really aren't all that many shooters with full campaign co-op--these days, the common trend is for there to just be a horde mode (Modern Warfare 3, Section 8 Prejudice, Mass Effect 3, Bad Company 2, Bulletstorm) or for there to be a bunch of individual standalone missions (RAGE, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Far Cry 3). There are really few that have four-player co-op. And there are pretty much none that have four-player campaign co-op and character building and loot. So even the the gunplay is only decent, it's in a rarefied enough conceptual space that a lot of people (including me!) latch onto it passionately.

That's fair enough. I can get that Borderlands is probably a good game on its merits and I won't knock a guy for wanting dedicated co-op because playing with friends is fun. A game that comes out of nowhere and catches people's attention can definitely make a developer's reputation. Like what Arkham Asylum did with Rocksteady. I guess I just didn't expect Gearbox to be held to such high esteem because I didn't really follow Borderlands.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I mean I'm all for making GBS threads all over this game for its faults, but the "blind Aliens" one actually isn't among them.

Was it that in previous games the aliens you played obviously have vision? I might be thinking of something from another thread.

That doesn't really work as a justification, anyway.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Xenomrph posted:

Aliens don't have eyes they're all blind I don't care what some Expanded Universe source says (I didn't see your post).

Fallom posted:

Was it that in previous games the aliens you played obviously have vision? I might be thinking of something from another thread.

I always took that to be how they translated the alien sense (the kind of colors flowing off the enemies being a pheromone thing or something).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HelmetCheese posted:

Off-topic, but the Alf Pogs bit might be my favorite classic Simpsons joke of all time :haw:

Me too! Totally worth the trade of Bart's soul.

Basically Aliens: CM is Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge. Would you like to play again. You have selected. No.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

comatose posted:

I think you've got this backwards. I can't imagine playing this by myself. The only redeeming feature of the campaign is being able to play this co-op and laughing about it with mates.

It's too cramped in Co-op. You have yourself, your friends, and NPCs. It's like fitting everyone in a clown car.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I always took that to be how they translated the alien sense (the kind of colors flowing off the enemies being a pheromone thing or something).

Yeah that's how you have to look at it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

toggle posted:

This is glorious. It should also be in the OP for any future Gearbox game threads.

I actually came here just to post this.

Man, I cannot believe I waited all those years for this. Glad I didn't preorder. Oh well, at least there's Natural Selection 2, right?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pumroy posted:

The only good part was getting lots of marines together to fight lots of aliens. And I liked that so much I learned how to edit maps in Hammer simply for that purpose :colbert:

ACM done right could have been a spiritual sequel to Opposing Force :sigh:

Just rallying lots of marines to fight aliens in the Alien universe. :black101:

e: remember the Aliens movie tagline? "This time, it's war" oh man that would have been so rad.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Imagine if they had you fight the queen in the power loader like anyone with half a brain would've done.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Sorry, went back a page or two but didn't see it, and I figured with only 300 views and being uploaded earlier today that it hadn't been thrown in yet. It is really hilarious though.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Imagine if they had you fight the queen in the power loader like anyone with half a brain would've done.

You mean a quicktime button mashing boss fight? Sounds awesome.

I would have been fine with them not doing that.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
"Only 300 views" is a weirdly common YouTube glitch. Videos that have been recently uploaded get stuck at a very low viewcount, often around 300, until... I don't know. Time passes? A lot of times, you'll see commentors going "How does this have five thousand likes and only 300 views?"

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Shyfted One posted:

I dunno how they did the Power Loader in the game. I mean if they did the power loader right and cool.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/ <- proof that reviewers are paid off

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

New Concept Hole posted:

From last page.

Looks like Halo 2; No shadows and shiny surfaces.

Last night I watched an LP of AVP for the goddamned Atari Jaguar, and it looked this good. Jesus.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Shyfted One posted:

This is how it would have been. Everyone here could probably dream up the most awesome power loader vs. alien queen sequence ever, but it's not something we'd have ever seen from Gearbox.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

You get to fight the Queen with a Powerloader in the Aliens arcade game!

Still better than Colonial Marines.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 14, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
3D artist jokes! I love 'em!

New Concept Hole posted:

From last page.

Looks like Halo 2; No shadows and shiny surfaces.

I honestly though this was some bullshit but nope, just got to this area myself. Here's my maxed out screenshot:

And it's not just this one hallway. The entire area leading up to and after Bella's death looks like complete and utter crap. Like, forget anything kinda bad you saw in the first two hours, the outside area and the following lab are complete and utter train wrecks that no goddamn joke look like a PS2 game.

It's all over the place. Also :aslol:

e: also you're back to fighting human enemies again

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 14, 2013

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm probably never going to actually play this game, but I'm still sort of curious how it all plays out, would someone be so kind as to spoil the plot for me?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

What is even up with that first picture? 3 different colored balls? Is that something they forgot to take out? I don't get it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

"THE GOOD: A modern Alien game that does much more than avoid being total crap."

Ahahah, I bet he ironically put that because he knew its a POS.

\/\/\/ To me I think they put it in because they knew the textures are poo poo so its some kind of parody or self-awareness joke or something :v:

bef fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 14, 2013

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

What is even up with that first picture? 3 different colored balls? Is that something they forgot to take out? I don't get it.

Yeah. I don't get the joke here. Is it that they spent more time on an obscure inside joke than they did on making a good game?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, I know everyone loves the earlier AvP games for ratchetting up the tension by not showing you a Marine for ages, but what about starting an Aliens game with you as a new member of an Alien-hunting convict team? Basically, same crew concept as the Sulaco, but the Company knows about the Aliens and has developed ideas on how to hunt them a little better. So, the tutorial opens with you going into a hive and...its fine. Like, it goes great. Your smartgunners keep you covered, your motion-tracker dudes spot everything, and your squad leader does great. And that's your tutorial, it starts off showing you how a group of marines working really well together, can make everything work according to plan. You all pile happily into the dropship, hive exterminated (well, enough) and fly off to do it all again. Maybe someone gets nabbed regardless, just to underscore how dangerous a tiny slip-up can be. Like, a motion-tracker turns away to make a wisecrack at you, and so doesn't spot the Alien untucking from the wall and spearing him.

Then the rest of the game deals with a bigger, more in-depth hive where something goes wrong (but not horribly) and it just keeps going downhill from there. Say that your convict crew is supposed to be done and returning to base, but is ordered out again, and so tensions are high, people are jumpy, and slowly people start dying. Then it all goes to poo poo and you're left running around alone, with cobbled equipment, trying to make it back to a safe area. It'd reverse the progression most Alien games seem to have, where you start off as a scared rookie and slowly work your way around to having a whole mess of gear and feel pretty comfortable with the Aliens. If the AI was good enough (or scripted enough), it'd be pretty cool to start depending on someone to watch your back, and then have the game just remove that totally. Throw in good atmosphere, limited resources, and decent writing, and I think it'd be a great Aliens game that didn't retread AvP1/2. Only problem is that it might echo the progression of Aliens a bit too much, but with a different plot, I think it'd be different enough to work.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

John Magnum posted:

Can anyone describe to me in a couple paragraphs what the gently caress Obsidian's Aliens RPG would have been like? I have no idea how you would do an RPG of all things in that setting. Walk around the town and village talking to people with an AP/KOTOR shouldercam? I don't have any idea, it sounds bizarre and nonsense. Are there details beyond "Obsidian", "Aliens", and "RPG"?

As far as I know you should be thinking more Fire Emblem and less KOTOR. Take a roster of limited dudes with unique quirks who can all die horribly through various alien infested mission and level them up if they make it back. Take an engineer and have him deploy a sentry here, find a good position and turn on aim assist for the smart gunner, make sure to keep a veteran near the panicky tech guy to keep him steady, that sort of thing.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

ZuljinRaynor posted:

It's too cramped in Co-op. You have yourself, your friends, and NPCs. It's like fitting everyone in a clown car.

I haven't played this, but in the 40-min gameplay video posted earlier, with the British commentators, they pointed out that it's like the devs designed a single player campaign, and lazily shoved NPCs/co-op capability into it. Even on the hardest difficulty, the two players didn't have to cooperate at all (one using motion detector/doing tasks while the other provides cover fire, etc). It's as if the devs decided to make it co-op at the last minute; but wasn't it meant to be co-op all along?
e: though I guess, to be fair, they were playing the first 40 minutes of the game. Maybe it uh gets better.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lady blue shanghai posted:

Even on the hardest difficulty, the two players didn't have to cooperate at all (one using motion detector/doing tasks while the other provides cover fire, etc). It's as if the devs decided to make it co-op at the last minute; but wasn't it meant to be co-op all along?
e: though I guess, to be fair, they were playing the first 40 minutes of the game. Maybe it uh gets better.

Nah this is true the whole way through. So many basic ideas in Aliens the movie lend themselves to co-op gameplay but have absolutely nothing to do with the meaningless filler we get instead. One person having to hack open or seal off doors while aliens flood at you? Fantastic. Concept of a smart gunner trashing corridors of xenos while another person works the motion tracker? Great. One person trying to deploy sentry guns while someone covers them? Ace. But none of it's there. Instead you get invincible NPC's that do all the heavy lifting and bad guys that forget about you as soon as you get behind them.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

As far as I know you should be thinking more Fire Emblem and less KOTOR. Take a roster of limited dudes with unique quirks who can all die horribly through various alien infested mission and level them up if they make it back. Take an engineer and have him deploy a sentry here, find a good position and turn on aim assist for the smart gunner, make sure to keep a veteran near the panicky tech guy to keep him steady, that sort of thing.

Now I want an Alien mod for the new X-com.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
OK The top comment from that Randy video is pretty funny: "Duke Nukem forever, shame on you. Alines: Colonial Marines, shame on me."

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

Now I want an Alien mod for the new X-com.

Facehuggers with the Xcom teleporting glitch :suicide:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Aliens don't have eyes they're all blind I don't care what some Expanded Universe source says (I didn't see your post).

Wasn't it AvP2 that had the Alien sense?

Aliens have no eyes but they seem to look towards things, so I don't get it. Also, the Aliens apparently can't hear either since in Alien, Ripley makes adequate noise in the ejected pod (also the loving Nostromo blows up 3 times) to wake the loving Alien 2 feet away from her and none of the talking the Marines do while searching the infested colony seems to alert any of them until they kill the Chestburster. Unless the explanation for this is that they're really heavy sleepers, and in that case, haha.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Aliens have no eyes but they seem to look towards things, so I don't get it. Also, the Aliens apparently can't hear either since in Alien, Ripley makes adequate noise in the ejected pod (also the loving Nostromo blows up 3 times) to wake the loving Alien 2 feet away from her and none of the talking the Marines do while searching the infested colony seems to alert any of them until they kill the Chestburster. Unless the explanation for this is that they're really heavy sleepers, and in that case, haha.

Well, they sure like taking naps until some strange folks come rumblin' about and set their kids on fire!

Also, AVP2 had alien sense, yeah. Other players got outlined with certain colors as to identify them, even in dark maps. It was a cool 'lil feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
I had a thought that maybe if GBX didn't waste time and resources on DNF, an aborted game no one actually wanted (if you wanted more duke nukem in 2012 gently caress you to hell), Colonial Marines might have turned out ok.
Had that thought. Now I'm fairly certain GBX is a mediorcre at best developer that got lucky with Borderlands.

gently caress you Pitchford, you fat lying jackass.

• Locked thread