Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Renzuko posted:

How did logan of all people become headmaster of the school?

Combine being sick of training child soldiers so you can end up burying teenagers for decades and several lifetimes worth of compound interest and he had the means and motive to do it. Though Kitty and Hank did most of the actual running of it, because Logan knows he isn't any good at it. And money ran short early on (rebuilding a full academic campus gets expensive) so now they live on a baby mutant island that poops precious metals. It is actually rather well thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

What happened to Husk?

She was showing signs of mental instability (specifically wild mood swings), so Kitty fired her. She left in a huff without accepting any help from the school and hasn't been seen since.

Terror Sweat posted:

Those kids are going to grow up to be complete idiots.

Or accountants. Poor Bobby Drake, doing his damndest to teach some loving normal math in the face of McCoy's super-science bullshit and everybody else's... blowing up the school half the week.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Terror Sweat posted:

Those kids are going to grow up to be complete idiots.

Well yeah its a school that is completely staffed by Logan's friends. They never really had a chance.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Or accountants. Poor Bobby Drake, doing his damndest to teach some loving normal math in the face of McCoy's super-science bullshit and everybody else's... blowing up the school half the week.

The Jean Grey School of Action Acccounting

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That school is... post high school, right?

I'd hope so. It seems to do a very poor job of actually educating children.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

MikeJF posted:

That school is... post high school, right?

I'd hope so. It seems to do a very poor job of actually educating children.

(Wolverine and the X-Men #19)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Firestar became an actual character? I remember her from the Spider-Man cartoon around 1980.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dick Trauma posted:

Firestar became an actual character? I remember her from the Spider-Man cartoon around 1980.

She was pretty good in Avengers by Kurt Busiek.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

She was pretty good in Avengers by Kurt Busiek.

She was also in "Marvel Divas", which was much better than the title would have you believe. Honest.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

She was showing signs of mental instability (specifically wild mood swings), so Kitty fired her. She left in a huff without accepting any help from the school and hasn't been seen since.
Okay, I thought I had missed some key issue somewhere that explained what happened to her mind. Hopefully that comes back, or what was the point of bringing her on in the first place?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I want to be in the Good Times Department. drat, son.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

poor deadpool, all he want's is some stability in life.

I am kinda curious as to why they passed on the completely normal teacher with an actual degree? I guess it's because she's not a mutant but isn't that kind of a...magneto kinda thing to do?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Renzuko posted:

poor deadpool, all he want's is some stability in life.

I am kinda curious as to why they passed on the completely normal teacher with an actual degree? I guess it's because she's not a mutant but isn't that kind of a...magneto kinda thing to do?

Or maybe because she called them out on not being teachers like she says right there in the panel?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Or maybe because she called them out on not being teachers like she says right there in the panel?

That's a pretty bad reason, but then so is "this girl has eyes on my boyfriend". Kitty is pretty awful at hiring people.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Fun times in Avengers Assemble #12

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

That's a pretty bad reason, but then so is "this girl has eyes on my boyfriend". Kitty is pretty awful at hiring people.
She ends up giving the job to Storm, just because she likes Storm. Kitty is terrible at hiring people.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

She ends up giving the job to Storm, just because she likes Storm. Kitty is terrible at hiring people.

She could've hired far, far worse than Storm, like Beak if he's still alive.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ManiacClown posted:

She could've hired far, far worse than Storm, like Beak if he's still alive.

Beak is running with the Teen Brigade these days.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Renzuko posted:

I think because she's just a throwaway gag.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Witchblade / Punisher one shot.

Frank is not impressed.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Has any X/X ONE SHOT!!!!1! ever been any good at all? Just out of curiosity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Archie/Punisher. :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Has any X/X ONE SHOT!!!!1! ever been any good at all? Just out of curiosity.

The Darkness/Batman one turned out to be super important to the actual Darkness series since that's where he had a falling out with the mob.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Batman/Captain America had an amazing one-shot that owned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Batman/Captain America had an amazing one-shot that owned.

You don't mean that Byrne one, do you? The one where Joker is all "I may be a bad guy but I'm an AMERICAN bad guy!" and turns on Red Skull?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

You don't mean that Byrne one, do you? The one where Joker is all "I may be a bad guy but I'm an AMERICAN bad guy!" and turns on Red Skull?
That's actually a fairly great moment and entirely something the Joker would pull. Dude has standards. Insane, constantly changing standards, but he has them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just thought it was a painfully forced-corny affair that had a very superficial understanding of either character. Yes, we get it, golden/silver age tropes with lots of winking, very impressive.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Does Terminator vs Robocop count? Because that kicked rear end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Does Terminator vs Robocop count? Because that kicked rear end.

So did the SNES game.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The Batman/Planetary one shot

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

That's actually a fairly great moment and entirely something the Joker would pull. Dude has standards. Insane, constantly changing standards, but he has them.

The only reason that plays as a great moment is it's an actual moment involving Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciano. Byrne stapled it in with Joker as a stand-in, and it didn't work nearly as well because Joker is a lovely stand-in for Jewish/Sicilian mobsters. The only standards Joker has is whether something is funny, and that is absolutely not how Byrne played it.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Practical Demon posted:

The Batman/Planetary one shot

When someone says "x /x crossover" and 'good,' i immediately think of batman/planetary.

man, Planetary was one of the best comics I've ever read.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I feel like it's already been posted here, but if Batman/Planetary gets brought up, this panel combo must pop up too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Planetary is up there for me as favorite series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JLA/Avengers was legitimately great, and I liked Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire by Denny O'Neil. The last line has always stuck with me. "The damned do not always scream and moan. Sometimes they suffer in silence." Probably the best storiy with Azbats.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Huh. Did Planetary have more issues after they've dealt with their Fantastic Four antagonists (in the most anticlimactic comic showdown I've ever read)? Because I don't remember reading the above.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Xander77 posted:

Huh. Did Planetary have more issues after they've dealt with their Fantastic Four antagonists (in the most anticlimactic comic showdown I've ever read)? Because I don't remember reading the above.

There was a one-shot Planetary vs Batman issue. It's not part of the numbered series.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
There was also a Planetary/Authority one-shot crossover, where the teams never actually meet.

And just so I can include a panel, it's the issue that spawned this image:

Madrox fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 15, 2013

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
I haven't read it in many years I remember the X-Men/Teen Titans one being pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Xander77 posted:

There was another issue or two where they saved their friend with a time machine to wrap up the series. Though I personally liked that showdown because in the end it didn't come down to super powered shenanigans but who knew more about the weird and wonderful things lurking in the world's shadow.

• Locked thread