Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
For SS2, I would recommend running the SS2Tool anyway. It will get the game mod-ready if the GOG installer didn't. I also suggest that you go into the cam_ext.CFG file and uncomment the d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64 command. This will stretch the HUD to readable size on a high res display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!

Bart Fargo posted:

Why does MechWarrior 2 only have 2670 votes. My world makes no sense.

I was thinking something similar for No One Lives Forever, with only 4300 votes. :smith: Good thing I still have the original CDs.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Would I have any problems playing this on a HTPC on my 55" tv with a wireless xbox controller? I'm going to try it anyway tonite, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried that and what issues they had.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

C-Euro posted:

When I did my first playthrough of Deus Ex last year I was told to mod it with New Vision and Biomod/Shifter despite it being my first time, are there any mods of texture packs out there that people would recommend in a similar way (as in "you need to play it this way even if it's your first go-round")?

I'm not sure I'd recommend anything as being as mandatory as Biomod, but there is some stuff you should check out. (All of these links go to systemshock.org, which requires registration.)

SS2Tool automatically sets up the game to be mod-ready, if the GOG version isn't set up that way already.

The Newbie Modding Guide has links to a bunch of good mods; SHTUP, SHMUP, Four Hundred, and Vurt's in particular are straight graphics and sound upgrades and there's no reason not to use them. Rebirth is a model upgrade and takes a bit more artistic license, and ADaOB, while it fixes a lot of issues, also makes some text and gameplay changes that not everyone likes; those could go either way. Tacticool I haven't personally used.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Good news: comes with that new patch installed to make it actually work right. This is particularly good news for people like me who couldn't get the loving patch to install on older copies because the game itself wouldn't install to begin with! Cutscenes play properly, widescreen options available, co-op should work fine.

Hang on.

I'm hearing (here and elsewhere) that it's pretty much a stock 2.4 install with some configuration tweaks. But:

quote:

Rambourg: There are some user-made mods out there which do phenomenal work on the game’s stability, but none of them were quite perfect, so we took the game to our expert techninjas to analyse and swat the remaining bugs. It was some work to get it done, but as this is a game that we’ve wanted to release for four-plus years, it was also definitely a labour of love.

So, uh, are they claiming to have made the 2.4 patch? Or are they saying that their "team of expert techninjas" were responsible for the configuration tweaks and they just started with 2.4 as a base?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 14, 2013

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

ovaries posted:

Can anyone verify whether the in-game widescreen options scale the FOV properly, or is it just stretched? Should I play in 4:3?

It scales properly, and looks great in widescreen. The UI elements are also scaled properly, and even the movies play fullscreen with the correct aspect ratio now. On top of that, you can get the EAX sound without having to have an EAX sound card now.

me your dad posted:

Would System Shock 2 hold up to its hype for someone who has never played it?

I definitely think so. Just be prepared to spend some time rebinding the keys, the defaults are pretty bad.

Hakkesshu posted:

If you can get past the graphics (or mod it) and the clunky interface, then definitely. It's just a masterpiece of ingenious level design and thick atmosphere. I would personally rank it higher than Deus Ex.

It also has some of the best sound design in a game, like, ever.

Basically this.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Now I'm actually really curious about what happened to the source code that was reputed to have surfaced a year or so ago. Apparently someone came across a disk with the code for a console port of SS2 that also contained large portions of the original Thief 2 code as well. When the 1.19 thief patch and the 2.4 SS2 patches surfaced last year and given the nature of the fixes it contained I just assumed it was one of the people that had access to that code who did those patches on the quiet as they seemed to be unable to get the rights holders to allow a proper release of the code. The name of the guy who released the patches went by the name Le Corbeau which means the crow/raven in french but was also the title of this film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Corbeau about someone sending anonymous letters. :raise:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NadaTooma posted:

Bart Fargo posted:

Why does MechWarrior 2 only have 2670 votes. My world makes no sense.
I was thinking something similar for No One Lives Forever, with only 4300 votes. :smith: Good thing I still have the original CDs.
It's probably because neither of you have voted before, or else you'd know there's a ton of duplicates on their list. :colbert:

The game titles are freeform, so there are entries for "Mechwarrior II" (2683 votes), "MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat" (3034), "Mechwarrior 2, and the expansions for it" (39), "Mechwarrior 2: Titanium Trilogy" (299), "MechWarrior 2, 3, or 4" (85), and "mech warrior 2" (124).

NOLF has "No One Lives Forever 1 & 2" (4383), "No One Lives Forever - Game of the Year Edition" (8201), "No One Lives Forever The Operative" (40), "No One Lives Forever-The Operative" (20), and "Noone Lives Forever" (1). "NOLF" doesn't return any results.

It doesn't look like GOG consolidates or curates the wishlist, but if that helps convince anyone to put their games on GOG then I don't mind. Just vote for all of them.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

gently caress yeah! I can't wait to get home tonight and play this. Spooky games (especially survival horror) are my favorite type of games and I've somehow never played SS2 despite always hearing about it. After the kids and wife go to sleep I'm going to turn off all the lights, put the noise cancelling headphones on, and dive into this poo poo!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anyone have mirrors to the essential SS2 mods? Seems like systemshock.org got destroyed by the sudden influx of new blood.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've been doing some hunting and their torrent tracker is still up:

http://www.systemshock.org/torrents/

It contains the Texture Mod (SHTUP) and the music mod (SHUMP). Four Hundred is another texture enhancement. Then there is the System Shock 2 Mods database.

Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me find SS2Tool or the Mod Manager.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.
Well, the atmosphere in this game is pretty brutal, rose tinted glasses be damned. I was being chased down a hallway by a... something, i ducked round a corner and realized that i couldn't hear it coming anymore, so i used the inventory to patch up a little bit. Then i decided to peek around the corner and this sadistic fucker is standing right there looking at me, just waiting. Boom, I'm dead.

I'm going to stop playing and wait for nightfall, the best way to play SS2 is at night with no lights on and headphones.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

I've been doing some hunting and their torrent tracker is still up:

http://www.systemshock.org/torrents/

It contains the Texture Mod (SHTUP) and the music mod (SHUMP). Four Hundred is another texture enhancement. Then there is the System Shock 2 Mods database.

Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me find SS2Tool or the Mod Manager.

The system shock 2 unofficial forum certainly has it. They just need to adapt to the huge amount of interest their website suddenly has.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lord Lambeth posted:

The system shock 2 unofficial forum certainly has it. They just need to adapt to the huge amount of interest their website suddenly has.

Oh, I know it does. I just meant alternative download sites. It seems that there aren't any or those that are happen to be years old and outdated.

EDIT: And courtesy of the GoG forums SS2Tools version 4.8

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 14, 2013

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

anthonypants posted:

The game titles are freeform, so there are entries for "Mechwarrior II" (2683 votes), "MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat" (3034), "Mechwarrior 2, and the expansions for it" (39), "Mechwarrior 2: Titanium Trilogy" (299), "MechWarrior 2, 3, or 4" (85), and "mech warrior 2" (124).

It doesn't look like GOG consolidates or curates the wishlist, but if that helps convince anyone to put their games on GOG then I don't mind. Just vote for all of them.

Aha, that makes me feel better. I voted for the one I saw, but didn't notice the others. I just got depressed by seeing the number so low for the first one I encountered, I didn't look for others.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Bart Fargo posted:

Aha, that makes me feel better. I voted for the one I saw, but didn't notice the others. I just got depressed by seeing the number so low for the first one I encountered, I didn't look for others.

There is, however, only one entry for Crimson Skies, and it only has 1297 votes. :(

It's a good thing they mentioned the importance of the wishlist, though. I hadn't really bothered with it until now.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Discount Viscount posted:

Nope, I opted for Ninja Five-O, Shantae, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Mechwarrior 2 Titanium, TIE Fighter, and Twisted Metal 2 PC CD-ROM instead. $35 might have been a bit high, but I think it was worth it.

Hold the gently caress up!

This was a thing? :aaa:

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

I haven't been able to get to the checkout page all day. Is it just being hammered, or am I having some other kind of issue? All of the game info screens work and I can add things to my cart, but I can't get to my account screen or the checkout.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I bought it checked out and downloaded about a half hour ago with no problems.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Somebody should make an SS2 megathread like the one for Vampire the Masquerade, for morons like myself who just want a definitive "get these 5 mods you loving idiot scrub noob" explanations and mirrors. And also for people like myself who actually know nothing about SS2 but never wanted to bother with the pains of getting it to run on a modern PC.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Emalde posted:

Somebody should make an SS2 megathread like the one for Vampire the Masquerade, for morons like myself who just want a definitive "get these 5 mods you loving idiot scrub noob" explanations and mirrors. And also for people like myself who actually know nothing about SS2 but never wanted to bother with the pains of getting it to run on a modern PC.

Then you want this thread: http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/system_shock2_faq_patches_mods_recommendations/page1

The ss2tool and the first four mods listed bellow it are a good way to go. The other mods (namely Rebirth) go a little overboard and don't fit very well with the art direction.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I bought SS2 earlier today just fine.

Downloaded now, modded. Turning down the lights, speakers up, let's do this thing. (First time)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Prawned posted:

I bought SS2 earlier today just fine.

Downloaded now, modded. Turning down the lights, speakers up, let's do this thing. (First time)

For that extra boost in the experience, smoke mad PCP before playing.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
This is good news! That the fansite melted, not so much, but I kind of want to do a psi-ops playthrough now.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Emalde posted:

I was thinking about doing this. I just need a title.

System Shock 2: Welcome to my world, Insect

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Mechwarrior 2 was probably one of my favorite games during the 1997-2001 era. I had a hell of a time trying to understand what the plot was aside from quazi-religious "clans" fight it out for honor and glory (think Klingons).

In MW2, they must have made a mistake because there was no chance of exploding if you overheated so long as you only carried lazers and other energy weapons. You could override the auto-shutdown and just keep firing away. It also negated any need for heat sinks so you could just stick a ton of guns (and a bigger engine) on the heaviest mech you could get.

I took to M2: Mercenaries even more. I liked the inclusion of a finance system and the ability to take any mech (or group of mechs) into battle. Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries did this to some effect and was enjoyable, but not quite to the degree that MW2 achieved.

They also had great music. Also this.

Edit: I also remember showing it to friends, but knew they wouldn't be able to handle the ridiculous control scheme. They'd say,
:) "Can I try it?"
:colbert: "Not possible."

Edit 2: Also just bought SS2. Gotta get home and download it before the lawsuits come in and ruin everything!

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 14, 2013

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

ymgve posted:

I had the same idea as you, but for some reason my mouse is really messed up in Dosbox. The axis movement isn't the same for horizontal and vertical, and the mouse cursor goes dog slow when I pick a resolution of 1024x768 or more. I had some of the same problems with Daggerfall, so I wonder if this is a problem with Dosbox itself.
This thread kind of took off before I had a chance to get home and reply. I had this problem too and it sucks, so I made a custom build of DosBox with a vertical scaling modifier. Now the mouse moves in a circle again. You usually need 120% or 150% depending on the aspect ratio. No idea about your mouse cursor problems on high resolutions other than it's perhaps a frame-rate issue. Anyway, download link is here: http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/labs/#dosbox Hope this helps.

Also, System Shock 1 kicks rear end, hope they get that too.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lord Lambeth posted:

System Shock 2: L-l-l-l-ook at you h-hacker.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

System Shock 2: How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
System Shock 2: What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to a mind?

Or, for maximum :gonk: from people who've played it before

System Shock 2: I can't help you if you keep hiding from me, sir!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Are those usability patches already packaged in with the GOG download?

ToxicFrog posted:

System Shock 2: How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

I'm thinking this one.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh man this needs to be the thread title. gently caress the warehouse/storage areas.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

System Shock 2: L-l-look at you, sperger. Panting and sweating as you reach for the minifridge.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Not only has SHODAN taken over the web site, but also when you log in, you get the Von Braun spinny logo thing for a brief moment as the page loads. Adorable.

Oh, the times I would die in Shock 2, only to reload and see the VB logo for nearly a minute as my savegame loaded.

e: one more story. I had the System Shock 2 Windows '98 theme installed, and one day I left my speakers on way too high. I did something, and error.wav roared out: I-I-I-IT IS HOPELESS. Scared the poo poo outta me.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 14, 2013

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

ToxicFrog posted:

Seconding this.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I need help getting the SS2 mods to work. I put SHTUP and the tacticool mod in the DataPermMods folder where they should be, loaded a save and...nothing. No hi-res textures, no new weapon models. Do I have to start a new game to see the effects or did I do something wrong?

Also, playing the game with headphones and EAX on keeps me constantly on edge. Just hearing cameras beeping at me is enough to make me start to go "oh poo poo, where is it where is it I need my gun out"

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

GoldenNugget posted:

Oh man this needs to be the thread title. gently caress the warehouse/storage areas.

I always blitz Deck 1 on my first visit, and return for missed modules/goodies later, when doing the endgame backtracking.

It's the one bit of the game where I can fully understand people wanting to turn off respawning. It's completely off the chain down there, and since protocol droids are on the spawn table, can easily lead to cheap deaths. The slowly opening doors that completely block sound and hem you into tiny rooms really don't help matters.

Title suggestion - System Shock 2: Plenty to eat, an attractive hirsute companion, and a tire swing of your own.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I only tried the demo of System Shock 2 ages ago, but that stuck to my mind so well that I immediately bought it when it when it came to gog.com. The zombies apologizing as they attack you are still unnerving, but the rad music helps fighting them. Looks like this one's a keeper!

ToxicFrog posted:

W-what? :suspense:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I literally can not wait to get home and get this poo poo installed. Its been years since I last tried to play SS2 and I could never get it finagled quite right on my computer. I actually remember when I thought I had finally got it working and I go to check the keybinds and suddenly none of the buttons worked :v:

Not sure if I'll even bother with the graphics mods. The game looks fine as is to me, but on the other hand they are highly recommended and a little extra eye candy never hurt.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Zeether posted:

I need help getting the SS2 mods to work. I put SHTUP and the tacticool mod in the DataPermMods folder where they should be, loaded a save and...nothing. No hi-res textures, no new weapon models. Do I have to start a new game to see the effects or did I do something wrong?

Also, playing the game with headphones and EAX on keeps me constantly on edge. Just hearing cameras beeping at me is enough to make me start to go "oh poo poo, where is it where is it I need my gun out"
Make sure that you are actually exporting the contents of the mods into the DataPermMods folder, not creating subfolders underneath it. You should see folders named fam, obj, etc. Also, always install SHTUP first and then put others in after that one merging and overwriting as necessary.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Let's just say that Looking Glass Studios is very good at taking enemy concepts that sound really stupid on paper and making them bowel-churningly terrifying.

If you really, really want to know, read on, but you really should experience SS2 for yourself.

Deck 1 enemy spoilers: for some reason the Von Braun has hundreds of butlerbots on board. When they see you they walk up to you cheerily saying things like "that's the TriOptimum way!" or "there you are, sir!" and then loving explode and splatter you all over the room. If you hide from them they become politely reproachful and say things like "I can't help you if you keep hiding from me, sir!".

Deck 1 area spoilers: the cargo bays are one of the most godforsakenly terrifying areas in SS2; they're large, dimly lit, and filled with ranks upon ranks of boxes full of butlerbots. Some of them are powered on and will tear their way out of the boxes, burbling cheerfully at you, if they hear you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Make sure that you are actually exporting the contents of the mods into the DataPermMods folder, not creating subfolders underneath it. You should see folders named fam, obj, etc. Also, always install SHTUP first and then put others in after that one merging and overwriting as necessary.
I think I know what I did wrong with the Tacticool mod, it has the "obj" and "mesh" subfolders which should go in DataPermMods. SHTUP seems to be working and I just didn't notice the change. :v:

Edit: It works. The pistol looks awesome now.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 14, 2013