Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Wow I clicked the thread title on a whim and :supaburn: new Gaslamp game!!! ..that was announced months ago and I'm just massively out of the loop.

I was totally down with this game before I even knew what it was about, now I'm double-down with it. The idea of a city-building games I can play with friends is something I didn't know I needed until I read that this game will have multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
That was the most fun I had reading about shrubs, ever.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Today's blog post:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/02/06/shrub-week/

Shrub Week! Please enjoy all the shrubs. (also, the new website for Dungeons of Dredmor if you haven't seen it already.)

I really do like the art for CE so far.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I like the Bob Ross reference, it was clever. I want more happy little shrubs.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Why stop there? Shoot for a Global Mega-Event/Spell with Bob Ross descending from the heavens to render all plantlife delightfully Happy and/or Hungrily Sentient---give in to your ongoing Dominions III temptations Gaslamp Team!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
And here we're going to just shade in a happy little tentacle, and now a few strokes and we've got a happy little murdersquid. Lets continue with this mountain here...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Nobody can tell you how many horrifying creatures of the deep should be in your world. Each person gets to decide that for themselves.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

nvining posted:

I'm not even sure I believe you guys about the electro-death zeppelins.

The title of the (very short) article is "Tesla would pour lightning from airships to consume foe" by Nikola Tesla.:awesomelon: One of the subsections is labeled "Burning helpless women", and the one after that is "The Humanitarian Side" ( the humanitarian side is threatening genocide if you were wondering):shepface:

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Markovnikov posted:

Didn't he also "invent" a couple of earthquake machines, that would pound the ground hard until an earthquake was produced? Or I just made it up/it was another mad genius that came up with those. I don't even know why you would want tho invent that :shobon:

There WAS an episode of the Mythbusters where they said he had created a device that could shake building foundations at a certain frequency until the building would collapse like it would from an earthquake.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

P_R_Deltoid posted:

There WAS an episode of the Mythbusters where they said he had created a device that could shake building foundations at a certain frequency until the building would collapse like it would from an earthquake.

Yes, someone before also mentioned this one and it was probably the one I was thinking of. I probably also stole it from Mythbusters!. But really, the whole history of Science and Technology is filled with weird contraptions (since maybe Da Vinci making weird poo poo), most of them non functional of course, fueled by the progressive but always incomplete understanding of the various Sciences and some ingenuity and genius (particularly during the 1800's where most of the classical concepts of Physics came to be). Even today we get strange looking Perpetual Motion Machines (as much bullshit as they are, they are an interesting concept and always have hosed up designs; also it took the entirety of Thermodynamics to disprove them so go Science!), or the pie in the sky that is stuff like Cold Fusion or Super Conductivity.

My point being, I don't think we'll be lacking on things to blow our little Clockwork kingdoms up.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Have you guys ever thought of putting some bit of asset development or such on Ustream, as a kind of video dev diary? Or would streaming video from the Gaslamp offices confer some kind of indecency and/or wire fraud fine? It'd be neat getting a look at how David draws dirt.

*edit*

Markovnikov posted:

Yes, someone before also mentioned this one and it was probably the one I was thinking of. I probably also stole it from Mythbusters!. But really, the whole history of Science and Technology is filled with weird contraptions (since maybe Da Vinci making weird poo poo), most of them non functional of course, fueled by the progressive but always incomplete understanding of the various Sciences and some ingenuity and genius (particularly during the 1800's where most of the classical concepts of Physics came to be). Even today we get strange looking Perpetual Motion Machines (as much bullshit as they are, they are an interesting concept and always have hosed up designs; also it took the entirety of Thermodynamics to disprove them so go Science!), or the pie in the sky that is stuff like Cold Fusion or Super Conductivity.
I'd love some kind of reference to Stephen Hales's blood pressure experiments, where some Scientist of Note goes around trying to measure people's humours by jabbing them in the neck with glass tubes. Or a reference to Torricelli with engineers measuring local atmosphere pressure by how many Burly Men it takes to rip apart two Magdeburg hemispheres.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 8, 2013

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I think Tesla had the idea that you could set off some dynamite, wait for the shockwave to circle the entire Earth and return to its point of origin, then set off more dynamite. Repeat this until the earth literally breaks apart. In the abstract this is exactly how constructive interference works (and why people can break glasses by singing and the wind can destroy bridges) but in practical terms the Earth is just a little bit too complicated for his plan to work.

Markovnikov posted:

or the pie in the sky that is stuff like Cold Fusion or Super Conductivity.

Superconductivity is not pie in the sky, it exists perfectly well but no one has been able to generate it outside of very, very low temperatures.

VVV Wikipedia says it's a multi-billion dollar industry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_applications_of_superconductivity

Peepers fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 8, 2013

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

Superconductivity is not pie in the sky, it exists perfectly well but no one has been able to generate it outside of very, very low temperatures.

I know the phenomenon is real, but as the technology stands today it isn't very useable so it's still pie in the sky. Fusion is also a thing that is real, but good luck using it properly if you are not the Sun.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'd love some kind of reference to Stephen Hales's blood pressure experiments, where some Scientist of Note goes around trying to measure people's humours by jabbing them in the neck with glass tubes. Or a reference to Torricelli with engineers measuring local atmosphere pressure by how many Burly Men it takes to rip apart two Magdeburg hemispheres.

Reminds me of Lavoisier going around painting people with rubber to measure the water equilibrium of the body. I'm 99% sure I didn't make that up.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
It takes a Brave Man to shove a pipette into a horse's artery and think "Geysers of Science!" instead of "Oh gently caress this horse will kick me to death!"

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Markovnikov posted:

Didn't he also "invent" a couple of earthquake machines, that would pound the ground hard until an earthquake was produced? Or I just made it up/it was another mad genius that came up with those. I don't even know why you would want tho invent that :shobon:

That's a real thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla%27s_oscillator

Telsa was a pretty cool guy.

CE looks like it's coming along nicely too, hope they keep their pipes though!

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I can only hope that in CE advances in the fabrication of zeppelins and the development of pressurized cabins will lead to literal pie in the sky.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Admiral Funk posted:

I can only hope that in CE advances in the fabrication of zeppelins and the development of pressurized cabins will lead to literal pie in the sky.

Could it be? Could advances in game technology lead to my best idea in college? Dare I ask if we may end up with... Pizza Zeppelins? Delivering piping hot pizza pie, to your door, cooked in and transported by a zeppelin!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

quote:

As the speed grew it is said that the machine oscillated at the resonance frequency of his own building and, belatedly realizing the danger, he was forced to use a sledge hammer to terminate the experiment, just as the police arrived.

Truly the greatest genius of our era. :science:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
An era when scientific prestige could be measured by the frequency at which the Authorities are called to your workshop.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

A friend just reminded me that Mark Twain and Tesla were best buddies, and Twain would volunteer for electrical experiments. Just an interesting little factoid about the intersection of art and science, and shocking the poop out of people.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Tomorrow's blog post may be late, but it's a doozy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

Tomorrow's blog post may be late, but it's a doozy.

Most Improbable Machinery protect us :ohdear:

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?
The suspense is killing me!

nvining
May 30, 2011

Since somebody asked "How can things go wrong?", we present:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/02/14/the-sad-strange-tale-of-josiah-nutpin/

The Sad, Strange Tale of Josiah Nutpin.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That is amazing this is the best valentine's day ever

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Not enough bodice ripping or diaphanous peignoirs. You'll never break into the romance market that way!

Okay, now I want to see a traditional soft focus romance novel cover with fish people in a dramatic, windswept pose.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
If even the developers are writing fan fiction, I can't wait for the LP's that will come out of this :allears:

Is this based on actual mechanics? I recognize some things from previous mechanics spotlights.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

Is this based on actual mechanics? I recognize some things from previous mechanics spotlights.

Yes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I, for one, cannot wait to make a building out of a pallet of human flesh bricks.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

"My father lied to me when he told me my eyebrows would fill out some day!"
:argh:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Eonwe posted:

I, for one, cannot wait to make a building out of a pallet of human flesh bricks.

Fancy a cigar while you wait?

e: Oh god, I just thought of Freud's "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Sargatanas Jones was feeling quite happy today. Construction of the great temple was proceeding ahead of schedule, thanks to the recent influx of the cheap new building material the industrialists had named Soulbricks™. The royal ecologist had assured him that they were endlessly renewable, and left a negative carbon footprint. He was so elated, in fact, that he had stopped worrying about the recent changes to his visage. After all, everyone in Adamantinarx-Upon-The-Acheron was looking was looking a little different these days. And who really wanted to have the same number of eyes two days in a row? Not Sargatanas Jones, thats for sure. It'd probably drive him mad of boredom.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 14, 2013

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Gaslamp Games update posted:

The Colony Bureaucrat read the report and noted that it was, in fact, completely useless. He resolved to complain to somebody, perhaps in the form of a scathing letter, about unclear descriptions of items and how he was supposed to run a colony when nobody would tell him how to do anything and without clear documentation and tutorials.

This is the best paragraph. A perfect representation of the player's reaction!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So are colonists turning into building materials still a bug or was it Planned Like That From the Beginning?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

So are colonists turning into building materials still a bug or was it Planned Like That From the Beginning?

Planned from the beginning. That is, in fact, the role of the Obleskian Monolithic.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

nvining posted:

Since somebody asked "How can things go wrong?", we present:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/02/14/the-sad-strange-tale-of-josiah-nutpin/

The Sad, Strange Tale of Josiah Nutpin.

That was really good. I liked how it hinted at gameplay mechanics while telling a decent story.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Planned from the beginning. That is, in fact, the role of the Obleskian Monolithic.

Will using flesh bricks in a building have an effect or are flesh bricks just treated as regular resources when building>

nvining
May 30, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Will using flesh bricks in a building have an effect or are flesh bricks just treated as regular resources when building>

Let's just say that David has always wanted to indulge his inner Adrian Carmack and leave it at that, shall we?

(In other news, I just saw a draft of the poetry animation. After making it, our animator had to sit in a corner hysterically laughing for five minutes until he finally mustered the energy to have a drink of water.)

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but is Clockwork Empires in-universe with Dungeons of Dredmor?

VVVV :smith:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but is Clockwork Empires in-universe with Dungeons of Dredmor?

New universe, new IP.

I think there's a vague plan for Diggles to show up just because we feel like it, but nobody's actually committed to that yet.

• Locked thread