Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

I read through the Final Fantasy 1 manual, until it disintegrated in my hands. True story.

I still have my super-elaborate French NES manual for this game, which is especially interesting because the game itself is the exact same English-only version as in the US. So the manual would have literal translations of the picture captions from the English manual, giving an "of course you know what's going on in this picture!" kind of tone despite all game text being in English only. Even a complete walkthrough of the first part of the game, talking to the king/townspeople, buying weapons/spells from shops, up to I think when you get the ship. They even translated all the monster names in the accompanying fold-out (which I lost :( ). Definitely one of the weirder cases of massive amounts of effort put into a translation that was ultimately pretty useless. :quebec: at its finest.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

xamphear posted:

I don't recall caring at all for the boxes, but I would read the manuals when I was unable to play the game. Car rides home being one example.

We are brethren at heart. Strategy guides were like novels.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Couldn't most of the episodes be considered Game Center CX in Asia?

It's like if I went on a trip to Canada and referred to it as "My vacation in North America."

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Can someone explain the differences for BS Sky Perfect and Fuji TV when it comes to GCCX?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zari-gani posted:

I read through the Final Fantasy 1 manual 9999999 times, until it disintegrated in my hands. True story.

Getting the most gifable part out of the way...

Ahaha, Arino, you're amazing.

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Now some bad news: this is a big episode. It's a two hour special and I used an HD master.

That's the complete opposite of bad news. Thank you so much, this is going to be great!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Getting the most gifable part out of the way...

...I don't get it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lizard Wizard posted:

...I don't get it.

Arino pushes him into the puddle.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blackchamber posted:

No, thats not normal. Normal was taking the game out of the box and tossing the box in the trash and leaving the manual out until the cover fell off and eventually it got tossed out too. Only ocd nutjobs or kids with ocd nutjob parents cared about manuals/boxes. Then years later guys pay top dollar for the boxes and manuals.

I was one of those OCD nutjobs. I kept every single cardboard box from every NES game I owned, up until I sold my NES and every game for it.

But NES game boxes were the perfect size for the individual games. I just assumed you kept that poo poo in the box, because that's what those game-sized boxes were for. Now computer game boxes I can understand, since they were like 20 times larger than the jewel cases and full of nothing but a cardboard liner and air.

For the record, I kept those PC game boxes too.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Now computer game boxes I can understand, since they were like 20 times larger than the jewel cases and full of nothing but a cardboard liner and air.

I'm sorry to hear that you missed out on the classic era of Microprose gaming, where computer game boxes were full of INSTRUCTION MANUAL:

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
That was a really fun episode. It was a small detail, but I really liked how after the montage of Arino moments just before the final match of the Street Fighter tournament, they fade out to Arino starting off into nothingness daydreaming for a second before turning his attention to the arcade cabinet, as if the recap had just happened in his mind rather than just being part of the show. It was a really nice touch on the editor's part.

Also, I've got a small question for the translators that I'm curious about since it came up in this episode. Every time a game based on Journey to the West appears on the show, the subs use the Japanese approximations for the character names (i.e. Son Goku for Sun Wukong). I was curious what the reasoning behind this is since Journey to the West is a Chinese story, so it seems odd to use the Japanese translations of the character names.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 15, 2013

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Most of the beginning years when I began gaming were spent on military bases so there were no long rides home, and boxes/manuals would always get lost in moves anyways.

Some of that was in Europe so we didn't get the same ad bombardment you guys did during the 'console wars'. If you didn't order magazines you didn't see Nintendon't ads and it wasn't on tv. Everyone knew which console was best because people would borrow and trade and nobody wanted your sega with only 2 games (sonic and altered beasts). I did like my friend's Turbo Graphix with Bonk's revenge.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
^^ TurboGrafx :colbert: and yeah I was the only kid I knew who had one.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

That was a really fun episode. It was a small detail, but I really liked how after the montage of Arino moments just before the final match of the Street Fighter tournament, they fade out to Arino starting off into nothingness daydreaming for a second before turning his attention to the arcade cabinet, as if the recap had just happened in his mind rather than just being part of the show. It was a really nice touch on the editor's part.

Also, I've got a small question for the translators that I'm curious about since it came up in this episode. Every time a game based on Journey to the West appears on the show, the subs use the Japanese approximations for the character names (i.e. Son Goku for Sun Wukong). I was curious what the reasoning behind this is since Journey to the West is a Chinese story, so it seems odd to use the Japanese translations of the character names.

Because even though it's a Chinese story Western audiences are infinitely more familiar with the Japanese terminology thanks to Dragon Ball, I imagine.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 15, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

When it comes to video games, a lot of Journey to the West related stuff gets filtered through Japan. So the Japanese names aren't out of context here.

Now if this was a show about Chinese novels then keeping things in the context of the original text would be a good option.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
That feeling when you're Japanese and you enlist the help of a Taiwanese friend to most accurately and faithfully translate a game title to English, only to find out it was released as "Oriental Legend"...

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
*golf clap*

Anyway I'll probably watch this latest one later. Thanks for the hard work everyone involved.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

That feeling when you're Japanese and you enlist the help of a Taiwanese friend to most accurately and faithfully translate a game title to English, only to find out it was released as "Oriental Legend"...

Journey to the West: Exorcism Story is a much better title. From what I can tell "Oriental Legend" is what they used in Singapore, but it's also how people can find an English language version of the game.

Also, how many beat-'em-ups based on Chinese novels does the world really need?

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.
If someone could be so kind as to send off the GCCX swapnote stationary to 1993-7426-4241 that'd be awesome. Roommate just got a 3DS. If you need to be added back PM me or throw me an e-mail at tehshingen@gmail.com.

Looking forward to watch the Asia episode... looks to be a good one.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Around the 1 hour mark, they find some "DVD games", like God of War being 10 discs and Tomb Raider being 4? What is this? Are they just bootleg copies of PS2 games, or are they actual games you play in your DVD-player?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

gently caress knows. Are they all incredibly naive or do they genuinely think that any of the software is legal? And that so called PSP is a Popstation or some other knockoff too.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Those are multiple copies of the game, bundled together to keep them organized. Thats how they do it in Thailand anyways.

And usually they are all kinds of messed up, don't work, or not even the game.

Edit: Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but knock-offs are extremely common in all parts of Asia. Everything is copied or reproduced at some level. I think though that the Japanese appreciate the name brand legit stuff though and will prefer to pay more to have it.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 16, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Something I just thought of - will the Retro Game Challenge 2 contain any deliberate Engrish? Or was the joke worn out in RGC1?

"FINALY YOU DESTROYED ALL ENEMYS!" - Cosmic Gate

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Shingen posted:

If someone could be so kind as to send off the GCCX swapnote stationary to 1993-7426-4241 that'd be awesome. Roommate just got a 3DS. If you need to be added back PM me or throw me an e-mail at tehshingen@gmail.com.

Looking forward to watch the Asia episode... looks to be a good one.

There's GCCX swapnote stationery? :stonk: 0748 2017 5632 over here :) popecrunch@gmail.com or pm

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008
That episode was just magical. Merry-go-rounds! Cute little girls on Harleys! And CRUSHING BANDICOOT.

BiggerJ posted:

Something I just thought of - will the Retro Game Challenge 2 contain any deliberate Engrish? Or was the joke worn out in RGC1?

"FINALY YOU DESTROYED ALL ENEMYS!" - Cosmic Gate
Not sure if the RGC1 translation actually introduced any (if you don't count "Haggle Man"), but the Japanese version of 2 has Engrish in it already. It kinda comes with the territory for older Japanese games to have things in usually-poor English.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
My code is 1375-7236-8475, I have the GCCX swapnote stationery and a lot of other ones, if there's a specific one you want ask me. PM me with your friend code if you add me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I played through most of RGC1 in Japanese. It's been a while so I could be remembering wrong, but I think the only game that was actually different was Guadia Quest; I think everything was already in (poor) English.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haggle Man is seriously my favorite goofy fake translation. It just feels exactly like something that could have happened.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm not on the GCCX team, but I think I'm in a position to field this one, what with my job and all. The big thing to remember is that Journey to the West was/is an incredible influence on Japanese culture and thought, on top of Chinese - in addition to domestically-produced stuff like The Tale of Genji or Princess Kaguya, a hell of a lot of Chinese literature was imported as well, assisted by the fact that Japanese and Chinese are at least partially-mutually-intelligible in writing (even though they sound completely different when spoken - thus Sun Wu-Kong vs. Son Goku). As a result, you'll hear a lot of Japanese writers and whatnot talking about how JttW, in particular, influenced them and about the characters and whatnot, and they'll always use the Japanese versions of the names. So using the Japanese-style names sticks to what the speakers, themselves, are actually familiar with.

Ultimately, it is something that boils down to style above anything else - there's certainly nothing invalid about using the Chinese names (but even then, you get arguments about Wade-Giles vs. pinyin for romanization :v: ) but the speakers are all using very specific names and this is one of those cases where sticking to what they're saying can often add a little authenticity and match up with what is actually being spoken.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

vgperson posted:

It kinda comes with the territory for older Japanese games to have things in usually-poor English.

I'm aware of it. That, and other idiosyncracies like Zelda 2's 'THANKS A MILLION'. I didn't know that RGC2 already had it. Did the original Japanese versions of older Japanese games have Engrish, or just their translations?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 16, 2013

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

I'm aware of it. That, and other idiosyncracies like Zelda 2's 'THANKS A MILLION'. I didn't know that RGC2 already had it. Did the original Japanese versions of older Japanese games have Engrish, or just their translations?

I've seen at least a few ending screens for Famicom games on Game Center CX where the text is in bad English.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Haven't finished the Cambodia trip yet but it's already been great. Inoue trying to say hi to Arino but then the Tuk-Tuk just keeps going was hilarious, and that exchange in the challenge when Abe said he was better at Mario Kart and Arino started giving the camera the stink-eye was great!

Also wow I don't even understand how Arino was that bad at Mario Kart.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have to comment: Arino's ineptitude normally either makes me laugh or I don't even notice, expecting it.

But watching him suck rear end at Mario Kart is driving me loving crazy. How can he be this bad :psyduck:

edit: Also what term in japanese translates to 'bogus' :v:

victrix fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 16, 2013

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011
Arino: They sure are advanced.
Kibe: "Advanced...?"

Watching them dance around the pirated games thing was great.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Kibe's joke after the woman broke the Crash Bandicoot Disc was absolute gold.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Couldn't most of the episodes be considered Game Center CX in Asia?

It's like if I went on a trip to Canada and referred to it as "My vacation in North America."

Even better, the Korea special could also be considered "Game Center CX in Asia". I don't get why they went with that title either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I should point out that while Arino is indeed enragingly awful at Mario Kart on a level unheard of, the SNES version of Mario Kart is stupid hard. I doubt I could clear Special Cup on 100cc without save states or cheats, let alone 150cc.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Shock Trooper posted:

Even better, the Korea special could also be considered "Game Center CX in Asia". I don't get why they went with that title either.

Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans think of each other and themselves as China, Japan, and Korea (and they refuse any collective term), and they think of what we consider Southeast Asia as Asia.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Lurdiak posted:

I should point out that while Arino is indeed enragingly awful at Mario Kart on a level unheard of, the SNES version of Mario Kart is stupid hard. I doubt I could clear Special Cup on 100cc without save states or cheats, let alone 150cc.

I'm only halfway through the episode right now, but so far the difficulty level hasn't mattered at all. Arino just careens off the course constantly and gets stuck on walls and constantly hops and slides himself into certain doom. I don't think he could have beaten 50cc playing like that.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, but that's because Special Cup hates you and everything you stand for. Mushroom Cup is like, whatever man, just hold down B and press left and right sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

victrix posted:

edit: Also what term in japanese translates to 'bogus' :v:

damida (だみだ) is a comically outdated 80's slang for "this is bad/no good" (which in normal Japanese is dameda -- yeah, just a one-character difference) as in there's nothing that can be done about a situation. To best capture the 80's outdatedness and to make it fit into both Arino's line and the narration I decided to go with "this is bogus." Actually I'm pretty sure I used this in another episode, where Arino says something like "If I were in high school, I'd be saying 'this is bogus!' right now." Can't remember which one that was and now it's bugging me. No-prize for anyone who does.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 16, 2013