Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I just see a broken image because you're leeching instead of using an image host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
edit: Whoops, BossRighteous said something similar about this, but I never had to change any options to do it so...Yeah?

User-Friendly posted:

Is there any way to force Google to use a certain spelling in a search? Searching for all the info about a person with an unusually spelled name, "Johnn Smith" for example, brings up results for "John," "Jon," "Johnny," etc. with them all bolded as if they were search terms. I can see how that would be useful in other cases, but I know I only want results with the way I spelled it. Can I get it to JUST find my spelling?
Quickest way is to just throw speech marks around it. Actually type in "Johnn" Smith or "Johnn Smith".

But it is still annoying having to fidget with Google just to get it to search for the thing you actually searched for.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
For years I've been seeing stuff about transparent smartphones being developed. Why transparent? What's good about that? I get that it's sort of flashy and interesting, but why that technology over any of the dozens of other ideas they could be developing to make phones more advanced. Transparency doesn't do anything.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I seem to recall some grad students being super excited about the new gesture options that a transparent touch-screen opens up - you can suddenly interact with things from the back as well as the front. It also is a good segue into heads-up displays.

I dunno, I think it's kinda gimmicky. But I think Twitter is kinda gimmicky, so I guess that's no reason why it can't take off. And hey, if gimmicks sell phones, it doesn't have to mean anything, or actually be any better.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What do I need to use my computer monitor as a screen for game consoles and poo poo? Something with component cable inputs, I imagine?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

muike posted:

What do I need to use my computer monitor as a screen for game consoles and poo poo? Something with component cable inputs, I imagine?
Which consoles are you talking about? What inputs does your monitor have? Current consoles should all have HDMI out and newer monitors will accept that. For older consoles with component (or composite) out, there are converters that will do what you need. You can probably a device to convert just about any kind of signal at Monoprice. If your monitor only has DVI or VGA (ugh) or doesn't have built-in speakers then you'll have to split out the audio as well.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Baron Bifford posted:

See ventral image of a goblin shark. See the two black dots alongside the mouth? Those aren't the eyes, which are out of view. Are they nostrils?

Yes.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Loki_ posted:

I just see a broken image because you're leeching instead of using an image host.
I'm providing a URL to image, I'm not embedding it my post.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why can't I delete my facebook, only disable it?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because it's not yours; it's facebook's.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm providing a URL to image, I'm not embedding it my post.

:doh: Stupid SALR.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Which consoles are you talking about? What inputs does your monitor have? Current consoles should all have HDMI out and newer monitors will accept that. For older consoles with component (or composite) out, there are converters that will do what you need. You can probably a device to convert just about any kind of signal at Monoprice. If your monitor only has DVI or VGA (ugh) or doesn't have built-in speakers then you'll have to split out the audio as well.

It's actually a laptop, so I'm pretty sure my only inputs are USB, with SATA and HDMI outs. :butt:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

muike posted:

It's actually a laptop, so I'm pretty sure my only inputs are USB, with SATA and HDMI outs. :butt:

In this case your only hope is some kind of USB TV tuner card and even if you find one that's cheaper enough than an actual television would be, the latency will be so bad as to make games unplayable.

Unfortunately your best bet is to just buy an external monitor with HDMI (and/or component/composite/whatever) inputs and hook both the laptop and the console(s) up to that.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Can an impotent man have an orgasm? If so, how is that accomplished?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the posted:

Can an impotent man have an orgasm? If so, how is that accomplished?

Depends on what you mean by "impotent" but, in general, yes. Impotence usually refers to infertility or erectile disfunction, which does not necessarily imply orgasm disorder.

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/understanding-male-sexual-problems-basics

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Penguissimo posted:

In this case your only hope is some kind of USB TV tuner card and even if you find one that's cheaper enough than an actual television would be, the latency will be so bad as to make games unplayable.

Unfortunately your best bet is to just buy an external monitor with HDMI (and/or component/composite/whatever) inputs and hook both the laptop and the console(s) up to that.

I just wanted to see if I could get around buying a TV. Thanks!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

muike posted:

I just wanted to see if I could get around buying a TV. Thanks!

No problem; sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I tried the same thing a few years ago with a PS2 and a PCI TV card; games like Chrono Cross were fine, if a bit awkward, but any kind of action-based game (Mega Man Anniversary Collection, for example) was terrible. I can't imagine that a USB card would perform any better...

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I think I explored the possibility of trying to use my monitor or laptop as a screen and everything came up subpar compared to a TV. The laptop path is just not worth it at all. I did play my PS3 on my monitor with HDMI input for a while, but the graphics were not done justice for some reason. Everything looks better on a TV. Of course, now that I have a TV, I don't even play games anymore. It's just useful to have a television anyway, especially since you can connect a computer to any modern TV through HDMI. I think any games will look better on a TV versus a monitor.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How many countries in Europe could a fellow see driving, say, 500 km? I'm sure someone has mapped out questions like this but I don't know how to search for it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

How many countries in Europe could a fellow see driving, say, 500 km? I'm sure someone has mapped out questions like this but I don't know how to search for it.

I can only manage 6 in any one trip under 550 KM. Combination I got was Bosnia - Croatia - Montenegro - Albania - Macedonia - Greece.

http://goo.gl/maps/6TbJq

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dudebro posted:

I think I explored the possibility of trying to use my monitor or laptop as a screen and everything came up subpar compared to a TV. The laptop path is just not worth it at all. I did play my PS3 on my monitor with HDMI input for a while, but the graphics were not done justice for some reason.

TVs and computer monitors have different native resolutions, so when you plug a monitor into a thing that's supposed to display on a TV (or vice-versa) you get a lower-quality image. Theoretically you can fix it by setting the output resolution correctly, but that's often not actually possible.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Mescal posted:

France - Germany - Austria - Liechtenstein - Switzerland - Italy is 6 countries in about 400km. Germany - France - the Netherlands - Belgium - Luxembourg is only 5, but doable under 300km.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Meat Recital posted:

France - Germany - Austria - Liechtenstein - Switzerland - Italy is 6 countries in about 400km. Germany - France - the Netherlands - Belgium - Luxembourg is only 5, but doable under 300km.

Keep in mind the first route is very mountainous in parts and even though it's low distance, can still be long on time.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Is there a word or even really good description for something that was once kinda "underground" and is now very popular or when you liked it when it was unpopular? Besides hipster. There has to be a legitimate term for something like this.

Basicially is there another term for someone than 'hipster' who goes "well I liked X before you knew of it"?

Like:
"I had the Cypress Hill album before you even had a CD player" or "I was reading Lets Play's before they were video" or "The first Avenged Sevenfold was pretty drat legit, I don't mind tellin you" or "I've loved Bon Iver since they performed in my tiny town in Wisconsin in 2003"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Foodahn posted:

Besides hipster. There has to be a legitimate term for something like this.
"Early fan"? If they're saying these things in response to "I like Cypress Hill", they may be a "one-upper". There are probably other words/phrases. What qualities are you trying to convey?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

helopticor posted:

"Early fan"? If they're saying these things in response to "I like Cypress Hill", they may be a "one-upper". There are probably other words/phrases. What qualities are you trying to convey?

Well a "one-upper" is pretty much exactly what I want, but makes the person seem like a dick. Is there a more political way of saying this to someone?

Also what the hell is your avatar? I'm turned off and attracted at almost equal levels. No just turned off... Never mind that other part of my brain.

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 17, 2013

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Foodahn posted:

Well a "one-upper" is pretty much exactly what I want, but makes the person seem like a dick. Is there a more political way of saying this to someone?
Use weasel words? I mean they're being an rear end, there's no way around that. But you can probably appeal to their desire to not be an rear end and realize that they're probably unaware of how they're coming off, etc.

quote:

Also what the hell is your avatar? I'm turned off and attracted at almost equal levels. No just turned off... Never mind that other part of my brain.
Charles Barkley in drag. There's more detail in Ask us about the forums here.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Well, knowing that it was Sir(Lady?) Charles makes me feel a lot better about my manhood, that is an attractive fella.

Gonna go throw a man through a window to gain her approval BRB

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Early adopter" is the best I've got but it's geared more towards products than art. According to Urban Dictionary it works for anything so :shobon:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Foodahn posted:

Is there a word or even really good description for something that was once kinda "underground" and is now very popular or when you liked it when it was unpopular? Besides hipster. There has to be a legitimate term for something like this.

Basicially is there another term for someone than 'hipster' who goes "well I liked X before you knew of it"?

Like:
"I had the Cypress Hill album before you even had a CD player" or "I was reading Lets Play's before they were video" or "The first Avenged Sevenfold was pretty drat legit, I don't mind tellin you" or "I've loved Bon Iver since they performed in my tiny town in Wisconsin in 2003"

"Original fan"

alternatively

"I was the fan before the fandom/was popular/you were a fan."

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Meat Recital posted:

You can also do Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Belarus, Lithuania in under 500.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Are giant lines at the DMV an actual thing people experience or is it just a joke that doesn't actually reflect anything in real life?

All my experiences have been quick and the employees helpful so maybe I'm just really lucky.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ThatPazuzu posted:

Are giant lines at the DMV an actual thing people experience or is it just a joke that doesn't actually reflect anything in real life?

Congrats: you live in a state that properly funds government services like the DMV. People who vitch about it generally live in some state that doesn't bother to fund anything properly so they get the dmv open for 4 hours a day 3 days a week and only one worker and everything takes forever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ThatPazuzu posted:

All my experiences have been quick and the employees helpful so maybe I'm just really lucky.

Try out a DMV in a sprawling suburban metropolis (so everyone drives) like LA! It's wonderful!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The last time I went I made an appointment so it took about 20 minutes. The non-appointment wait time was close to two hours.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
:stare: I had no idea things were actually that bad in some places or that you could make appointments. I don't think I've ever spent more than half an hour there at the longest.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ThatPazuzu posted:

All of my Florida DMV experiences have been great, but when I lived in RI the DMV was a nightmare. The DMV moved around the county to a different office every day, stayed open like 6 hours, and only opened either 3 or 4 days a week depending on the phase of the moon. The people who worked there were assholes, and "the computer" was always down. Which meant they would refuse to do anything at all and just stare at a bunch of people waiting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ThatPazuzu posted:

:stare: I had no idea things were actually that bad in some places or that you could make appointments. I don't think I've ever spent more than half an hour there at the longest.

In my state nearly all the stuff you would do at the DMV can be done online or on the phone in the first place, and we also fund the system well, so there's pretty much no wait times ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Iv'e always wondered, what exactly does the racoons go during the winter? I notice that they never come out during the winter/fall months. Do they hibernate or migrate or something along those lines?

I'd also kinda of be open to some ideas to prepare for their invitable return. I had trouble with last year but I think I started to late in the season to be effective against them.