Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've always wondered in countries like Germany and until now the UK and France, was the lack of gay marriage simply a product of apathy or were there significant hurdles to get over? I know in the UK civil unions are a lot better than they are here, was it just an issue of 'well it's just a name let's table that for a bit'?

Marriages are in rapid decline in much of Europe. They introduced registered partnerships in Denmark to address same-sex couples, but they later found that 95% of partnerships were between heterosexual couples. Basically, there hasn't been a big push in the gay community for same-sex marriage as even heterosexual couples no longer see marriage as something desirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Do gay couples in Denmark get the other benefits that marriage provides? Tax breaks and other spousal benefits, hospital visits, next of kin?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The more important thing about gay marriage is ensuring that other jurisdictions recognize the rights. Often people with a "gay marriage" will be able to have access to all the rights of any married couple; but those in "civil partnerships" and the like may miss out.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tomorrow the marriage equality bill in Illinois goes to the Senate for a vote, where it's expected to pass. The governor has already indicated he'll sign it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sweeney Tom posted:

Tomorrow the marriage equality bill in Illinois goes to the Senate for a vote, where it's expected to pass. The governor has already indicated he'll sign it.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn Poised to Become Sixth Catholic Governor to Sign Marriage Equality Into Law
:dawkins101:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
So very excited that my state gets to join the 21st Century. :woop:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

TheLoser posted:

It is a pretty great feeling. Good job, Illinois. :unsmith:

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
It still has to go to the House though, doesn't it? Will they vote on the same day? I know both chambers have a Democrat supermajority, so is it pretty much a shoe-in for the House approving it?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

So that's why the Pope resigned.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

katium posted:

It still has to go to the House though, doesn't it? Will they vote on the same day? I know both chambers have a Democrat supermajority, so is it pretty much a shoe-in for the House approving it?
It will pass for sure* but I don't know how soon the House will vote.
I believe it won't go into effect until July so it doesn't really matter if it passes Monday or the last day of the session.

*Assuming today's brilliant scheme does not work out.
Ill. Sens Haine, Beiser Introduce Constitutional Amendment to Defend Marriage

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Oh geez, they tried that in the RI House vote, too. Didn't go over too well.

Of course that one might not even get to the Senate this session. :(

Anyway! Go Illinois! My own state (PA) is years away from a marriage equality move in the legislature, so I live vicariously through other states' victories.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The multifarious state legislatures aren't where gay marriage is at anyways. The real question is if the Supremes decide the full faith and credit clause means backwards fucks have to recognize legal marriages as legal marriages. Watch for Scalia to (shockingly) poo poo on the Constitution while a 5-4 decision does yeoman's work to make an antique document adapt itself for a modern polity. What's really great is how fast the debate changes though. You don't hear people arguing Lawrence v Texas anymore. Ten years from now LGBT rights will be a fait accompli and the people who are opposed will be as powerless as the KKK.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

As expected, the Illinois Senate has sent a very sweet Valentine to same-sex couples by approving marriage equality legislation with a vote of 34-21 (plus 2 voting “present”). Before passage, an amendment was added to the bill carving out an exception allowing churches to not have their facilities used in the solemnization or celebration of a same-sex wedding.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm not sure what other think, but I think offering up religious exemptions is a fair deal.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Don't we already have that for heterosexual marriages? When I got married, it wasn't like I could force a church to let me have the ceremony on its grounds. Or is this more of a "protecting our right to discriminate" kind of thing?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grundulum posted:

Don't we already have that for heterosexual marriages? When I got married, it wasn't like I could force a church to let me have the ceremony on its grounds. Or is this more of a "protecting our right to discriminate" kind of thing?

By fair, the major reason that a lot of people don't support gay marriage is because they think that it means that gays can force churches to marry them. Adding this sort of exception is a thing which will not change anything (who wants to get married at a church that's actively hostile to you?) but makes some people feel better.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did they think that through ever? Seriously, did they think that they could force any church to marry them because they're straight?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

greatn posted:

Did they think that through ever? Seriously, did they think that they could force any church to marry them because they're straight?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/us/27right.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

quote:

In television advertisements, rallies, highway billboards, sermons and phone banks, supporters of Proposition 8 are warning that if it does not pass, churches that refuse to marry same-sex couples will be sued and lose their tax-exempt status. Ministers will be jailed if they preach against homosexuality. Parents will have no right to prevent their children from being taught in school about same-sex marriage.
Were you under the impression Prop 8 supporters told the truth or something?

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

JawnV6 posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/us/27right.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Were you under the impression Prop 8 supporters told the truth or something?

This just prompted me to watch NOM's "Gathering Storm" video again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp76ly2_NoI

Still hilarious (and might have been more so if it hadn't actually worked :smith:)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Assuming they don't violate existing state law (failed amendments to marriage bills often try this) religious exemptions just make existing 1st Amendment protections explicit. Except Rhode Island which is completely hosed up and an outlier.

The Illinois law will go into effect 30 days after signing. So mid-late March unless the House has a weird delay.

SCOTUS Blog points out only 20 states only filed 20 amicus briefs for Prop 8, despite 41 states outlawing same sex marriage. Of the 21 marriage prohibiting states that did not act, 4 have a GOP AG, 7 have a GOP Gov, two of which challenged the Affordable care Act.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdoOs1-DEc

Stop it, storm!

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

TheLoser posted:

Yeah it's weird actually having a reason to be proud of my state. Just have to hope the House doesn't manage to gently caress it up :ohdear:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

So how long do we have to be seperate-but-equal before people stop assuming everyone in California is a Birkenstocks-clad gay man who surfs to the ballot box to mark D in every column?

Just looking for a silver lining.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 15, 2013

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Carlton Banks posted:

Yeah it's weird actually having a reason to be proud of my state. Just have to hope the House doesn't manage to gently caress it up :ohdear:
Two words: Democrat Supermajority :smug:

The governor supports the bill and has stated his intent to sign it. Getting the the bill past the Senate was the hard part.

Homocow fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 15, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington filed an interesting amicus brief against DOMA.

DOMA allows for married same sex couples to skirt a bunch of tax laws, bankruptcy laws, and if they work in government, ethics and nepotism laws.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

DOMA: Tool For Advancing The Homosexual Agenda...?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

OMGVBFLOL posted:

DOMA: Tool For Advancing The Homosexual Agenda...?

There are so many legal things wrong with DOMA, I've known people who rabidly hate gays and they still aren't OK with DOMA. It would take some hardcore mental gymnastics for even the more gay bashing conservatives on the court (Scalia) to uphold it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Crosspost from the UKMT:

There's more amendments to the Marriage (Same-Sex Couples) Bill, and here's what they actually mean:

New clauses
  1. Amends the Civil Partnership Act 2004 to change the definition of civil partnerships to encompass all couples.
  2. Conversely, removes the restriction on mixed-sex couples of entering into a civil partnership.
  3. Amends the Marriage Act 1949 to allow faith/non-faith charities, most notably the British Humanist Association, to conduct marriages.
New schedules
  1. Makes consequential amendments to the Marriage Act 1949 to allow humanist weddings.
Amendments
  1. Amends the Title of the Bill to make reference to humanist or faith weddings.
  2. Directs the Lord Chancellor to make provision to allow the Church of Wales to marry same-gender couples if they opt-in, by changing a "may" to a "shall".
  3. Directs that provision to amend legislation, by changing another "may" to a "shall".
  4. Amends the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 to remove a spouse holding a gender recognition certificate being grounds to annul a marriage.
  5. Amends Schedule 5's amendment to the Gender Recognition Act 2004, to remove the spousal veto to gender transition in the Bill as proposed. (i.e. it removes the spousal veto in the bill as introduced)
  6. Amends the Gender Recognition Act 2004 to remove reference to a section of an act that Amendment 5 removes. (I don't blame you if you get cross eyed at this point)
  7. Allows couples whose marriage was dissolved under the Gender Recognition Act 2004 and converted to a civil partnership to retroactively restore their marriage to the original date.
  8. Gives the Registrar General the power to issue replacement marriage certificates and birth certificates where details of either party to a marriage or birth has changed.
  9. Amends Clause 2 to allow religious organisations to compel its ordinates to bless a same-sex marriage if it so wishes to; the bill as introduced would have made it unlawful for religious organisations to discipline someone for refusing to take part in a marriage, in spite of the Genuine Occupational Requirement exceptions in the Equality Act 2010. This is in response to the Quakers and Unitarians saying in committee that this part of the bill was defective.
  10. Makes only civil same-sex marriage legal. Wrecking amendment.
  11. Allows registrars to refuse to conduct a same-sex marriage, overruling Ladele v London Borough of Islington. Wrecking amendment.
  12. Removes the right of marriage-conducting organisations to conduct same-sex marriages under their premises. Wrecking amendment.

New Clause 3, New Schedule 1, and Amendment 1 incorporate the Marriage (Approved Organisations) Bill before the Lords into the text of the bill. A lot of the legwork on this (everything but Amendments 2, 3, and 10 through 12) was done by Dr Julian Huppert (with several other MPs from all three of the major parties co-signing the mixed-sex civil partnership and humanist marriage amendments), with the Amendments 2 and 3 being proposed by Chris Bryant and Kate Green. Amendments 10 through 12 were proposed by David Burrowes and Tim Loughton, who both voted against the bill at Second Reading.

I'll have a look at the bill memoranda later and comment on them.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 15, 2013

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Do gay couples in Denmark get the other benefits that marriage provides? Tax breaks and other spousal benefits, hospital visits, next of kin?

We dont really have that many benefits from marriage. Since homo sexuals have been able to get a civil union since 1989, there havent been the big push for same sex marriages. But denmark passed a law in june 2012 allowing same sex couples to get married in the state church. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/denmark/9317447/Gay-Danish-couples-win-right-to-marry-in-church.html

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/14/lon-burnam-texas-gay-marriage-_n_2687649.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

This is from a few days ago but I didn't see it here. A Texas rep is proposing a gay marriage bill.

I mean obviously it's likely to die, but I thought it was compelling that a Texas lawmaker would at least make the attempt.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 17, 2013

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

That isn't too surprising. Texas is like an inverse of California. It's red enough to always have its presidential votes go Republican, but only just. Large swaths of the state are blue.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Oh yeah I know that Texas isn't all red and the cities in particular can be pretty blue. I still found it surprising.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
And unless the GOP can solve its Latino problem Texas will probably be a blue state at the Federal level relatively soon.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And unless the GOP can solve its Latino problem Texas will probably be a blue state at the Federal level relatively soon.

The GOP as a party tends to be pretty shortsighted, and conservatives in general are, well, conservative and resistant to change. Even on a state level it's going to be pretty hard for the party to adapt to changing demographics until the writing is on the wall and the left-moderates are running things in Austin for the first time since forever.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If I were Obama and his team I would be using the OFA GOTV and PAC apparatuses to really push Texas to go blue, or at the very least start building up a Democratic machine there to rival the massively entrenched GOP one so it happens much sooner and they are 100% ready for it. Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and even Florida wouldn't matter once the GOP collectively shits a brick from Texas turning purple and having it opening up as a swing state.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
I went to Basic Rights Oregon and became a sponsorship signer of the gay marriage referendums :3: Yay I'm excited. I definitely think we can do it with mail-in voting.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

The GOP as a party tends to be pretty shortsighted, and conservatives in general are, well, conservative and resistant to change. Even on a state level it's going to be pretty hard for the party to adapt to changing demographics until the writing is on the wall and the left-moderates are running things in Austin for the first time since forever.

Bush was probably the last chance that the GOP had to capture the Latino vote and they (GOP) didn't want it so yeah.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Minnesota state senator Scott Dibble plans to introduce a gay marriage bill this week. Governor Dayton has already said he would sign such a bill if it were to pass both houses of legislature.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mexican Supreme Court finally issued a decision on the December marriage ruling.

The plaintiffs get to marry, but the state marriage ban was not overturned.

quote:

Unlike in the United States, it takes more than one ruling from Mexico's Supreme Court to strike down a law—the court must rule the same way in five separate cases before a law falls. This ruling concerns three separate cases; it will take two more for any same-sex couple in Oaxaca to be able to wed easily, and then the process may have to be repeated in other states. But this precedent means this is a procedural issue, not a legal one.
The boring, procedural march of progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
GOP Minnesota legislator preparing to co-sponsor gay marriage bill

quote:

Petersen said he has several concerns that must be addressed before he will sign onto the measure. He wants to add language guaranteeing that any religious leader can choose not to wed same-sex couples. He also insists that kids in same-sex marriages have the same financial guarantees as children of other married couples in time of divorce.

Sen. Scott Dibble, who is chief sponsor of the bill, said he is willing to agree to Petersen’s additions.

“Everything he has articulated, I see no problem with. At all,” said Dibble, DFL-Minneapolis.

Petersen was one of those who had voted to put banning gay marriage on the ballot in the referendum last November. His father-in-law has been in a same-sex relationship for 20 years. That must have been an awkward Thanksgiving.

• Locked thread