Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Both of your questions are pretty comprehensively answered by Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does earwax float?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Small bits yes, but it could just be something about surface tension. I'm not sure if they'd actually float once submerged.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm looking for historical data on tipping rates. I'd like to see how rates differ over parameters like time, location, industry, and expense level. Primarily interested in the US, but other countries would be interesting as well.

Note: I'm looking for large scale data, not anecdotes, not your beliefs, and not a debate on the concept of tipping. I know the subject can be a can of worms and I would like to avoid that if possible.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

zachol posted:

Small bits yes, but it could just be something about surface tension. I'm not sure if they'd actually float once submerged.

Aren't they just oil and crap? Oil floats.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bitumen is "just oil & crap" but doesn't float so no, not necessarily.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Question resolved

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 18, 2013

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Xenoborg posted:

I'm looking for historical data on tipping rates. I'd like to see how rates differ over parameters like time, location, industry, and expense level. Primarily interested in the US, but other countries would be interesting as well.

Note: I'm looking for large scale data, not anecdotes, not your beliefs, and not a debate on the concept of tipping. I know the subject can be a can of worms and I would like to avoid that if possible.

You best bet might be BLS. That is fairly hard, if not impossible, data to collect. You would rely on reported tips (which are usually under-reported) to the IRS. You might be able to find some location data.

FCKGW posted:

Does earwax float?

No not really. Are you trying to build a boat or clean your ears? Debrox works well. Don't use q-tips/earbuds. They impact cerumen into the canal exacerbating the problem.

e:spelling

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 19, 2013

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

double post

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

You best bet might be BLS. That is fairly hard, if not impossible, data to collect. You would rely on reported tips (which are usually under-reported) to the IRS. You might be able to find some location data.

No not really. Are you trying to build a boat or clean your ears? Debrox works well. Don't use q-tips/earbuds. They impact cerumen into the canal exasperating the problem.

Does the WaxVac, with the new hilarious infomercials showing a guy failing to use q-tip without injuring his brain, actually work? I have bad earwax and while I like to think I have the qtip-fu to pull it out rather than push it in, I'm open to options.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Golbez posted:

Does the WaxVac, with the new hilarious infomercials showing a guy failing to use q-tip without injuring his brain, actually work? I have bad earwax and while I like to think I have the qtip-fu to pull it out rather than push it in, I'm open to options.

HAHAHAHAHA I had to google the commercial. The ear canal is designed to move wax out of the ear. Skin grows from the TM and moves its way outward carrying the dead skin cells and wax with it. You should swing by an ENT or Audiologist just to make sure you do not have an impaction or other condition.
Try debrox or sweetoil as long as you don't have a TM perf you should be fine. Also there are a variety of lavage devices, but those are better for maintenance and not dealing with an impaction. You need to choose one that has a tip that sprays outward and now inward toawrd the ear. And resist the q-tip, let the ear do the work. Another effective method is to take up swimming in a chlorinated pool. Good for your ears and your health!

tl,dr; go buy some debrox and throw out your qtips.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
You can have my q-tips when you pry them from my wax-impacted ear canals.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Forget Debrox. Just save money, buy peroxide, dilute it and use that. It's nearly the same thing, only Debrox uses a urea peroxide that works better in gel applications.

I hate it when companies take cheap home remedies and resell them at markups.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

stubblyhead posted:

You can have my q-tips when you pry them from my wax-impacted ear canals.

Pretty much this.

I don't [think I] have an impaction, I just like getting my dark, thick earwax out of there from time to time. So you do say the WaxVac WOULD work for that. Hm. Or, are you saying that just by virtue of using Q-tips, I already have an impaction?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Pretty much this.

I don't [think I] have an impaction, I just like getting my dark, thick earwax out of there from time to time. So you do say the WaxVac WOULD work for that. Hm. Or, are you saying that just by virtue of using Q-tips, I already have an impaction?

Not necessarily. I went to get my hearing checked recently, and the doctor said my ear canals were quite clean. This is despite near daily use of q-tips for years.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Get a 50ml syringe, fill it with body temp water and blast away. That's what a nurse or doctor will do.

Safe if your eardrums aren't damaged or inflamed.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Also never take medical advice from Goons.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Is there a way to manually number tables and figures in Microsoft Word? For example, I want the first figure in my document to be captioned and referenced as "Figure 22", it currently wants to always label it as "Figure 1"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Actually I'm using debrox which prompted my curiosity. I've done it for a few days now and have seen nothing come out, I'm not sure what its even supposed to do at this point.

Also that waxvac is horrible, you can read reviews in amazon and it doesn't have enough power to suck out anything but leftover water in your ears.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CatchrNdRy posted:

Is there a way to manually number tables and figures in Microsoft Word? For example, I want the first figure in my document to be captioned and referenced as "Figure 22", it currently wants to always label it as "Figure 1"
Highlight the "1" and type "22"? Works for me.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

randyest posted:

Highlight the "1" and type "22"? Works for me.

That seems to override the field. It becomes a text "22", not a part of the dynamic numbering, for example it wouldn't update, if I created a Table of Contents.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CatchrNdRy posted:

That seems to override the field. It becomes a text "22", not a part of the dynamic numbering, for example it wouldn't update, if I created a Table of Contents.
Not sure why you'd want to change the normal sequential numbering but there's a way:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/145508

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

CatchrNdRy posted:

This seems to be what you are walking about :

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19545734-Word-Dynamic-Figure-numbering

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
thanks you two that helped.

randyest posted:

Not sure why you'd want to change the normal sequential numbering but there's a way:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/145508

In a large technical specification touched by a lot of different stakeholders, deleting and replacing figures can get messy, especially if frequently referenced in other parts of the documents. Even though less aesthetically pleasing, its often better to create new figure numbers rather than trying to replace every previous instance.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 19, 2013

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

In a large technical specification touched by a lot of different stakeholders, deleting and replacing figures can get messy, especially if frequently referenced in other parts of the documents. Even though less aesthetically pleasing, its often better to create new figure numbers rather than trying to replace every previous instance.

I know that you are specifically asking about using Word, but have you or your group ever thought about using LaTeX? It is incredibly useful especially for technical documents, and even more so if you have more than a handful of images. Plus it makes writing equations a snap.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I found a size medium Craft and Barrow wool sweater. How do I find out if it's a mens or womens sweater?

edit: pretty sure this is the same one

the fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 19, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CatchrNdRy posted:

Glad to help, and not trying to hassle you, but I'm still unclear on when you'd need to renumber a caption. Aren't they always sequential?

In case you didn't know: if you always Insert -> Cross Reference to refer to tables or figures, then if you insert a new table/figure and the table/figure numbers change, so will the references to them in the text. i.e., instead of typing "as shown in Table 1", type "as shown in " then insert -> cross-reference -> only label and number -> select Table 1. Then if you add a new table at the beginning of the doc, that table will be renumbered Table 2. Then just highlight the reference you inserted (or the whole doc) and hit F9. The text will automatically change to "as shown in Table 2".

Sorry if you knew that and there's something else about your needs that I don't understand.

Craiggers
Oct 29, 2007
not preggers
Can anyone suggest a good alternative to Buckyballs? My coworker had a set that were stolen off his desk and I'd like to replace them, but it looks like you can't buy the Buckyball brand anymore. There seem to be lots of alternatives but a lot of them look sketchy to me.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Can someone tell me if it's possible to search using the "or" command in a search field, like say on ebay?

"rockford fosgate amp a2 OR aii"

How do I get that to search for either a2 or aii without doing 2 separate searches?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

johnny sack posted:

Can someone tell me if it's possible to search using the "or" command in a search field, like say on ebay?

How do I get that to search for either a2 or aii without doing 2 separate searches?

I believe that 'or' is implicit in most search engines, i.e the engine will look for any examples of the words you entered, regardless of order. Perhaps you should search: "rockford fosgate amp" a2 ali. The quotes should restrain your search to results with those words in the specified order and the other words should expand upon that.

edit: Google does not work in the way that I posted. See here for Google's search modifiers

quote:

If you want to search for pages that may have just one of several words, include OR (capitalized) between the words. Without the OR, your results would typically show only pages that match both terms.
olympics location 2014 OR 2018

Tip: Enclose phrases in quotes to search for either one of several phrases.
"world cup 2014" OR "olympics 2014"

For ebay, though, I have no idea.

TATPants fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 19, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a retrieval service for SA avatars somewhere? I tried obtaining mine with saars and it didn't come up with any of my previous ones :(

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

TATPants posted:

I believe that 'or' is implicit in most search engines, i.e the engine will look for any examples of the words you entered, regardless of order. Perhaps you should search: "rockford fosgate amp" a2 ali. The quotes should restrain your search to results with those words in the specified order and the other words should expand upon that

I got 0 search results when I did it that way =\ I thought what was inside the quotation marks is searched for identically in that order, whereas anything else outside of the quotes is just in addition to. Not an "or" situation.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a retrieval service for SA avatars somewhere? I tried obtaining mine with saars and it didn't come up with any of my previous ones :(

http://muddledmuse.com/saars/?goon=GreenBuckanneer

It gave me a monkey for you.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

http://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/

Try this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah that's a way way way old one.

This worked, thank you.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I made a purchase at Fedex on Friday, I sent a package overseas for $84. I remember seeing it in the list of transactions, but then today the transaction totally disappeared. What could have happened?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Craiggers posted:

Can anyone suggest a good alternative to Buckyballs? My coworker had a set that were stolen off his desk and I'd like to replace them, but it looks like you can't buy the Buckyball brand anymore. There seem to be lots of alternatives but a lot of them look sketchy to me.

I remember there was a big stink between Buckyballs and Zen Magnets about rip-offs and quality. I think they were one of the first alternative products and they certainly seem to be the most established competitor. There are some videos that drone on about imperfections and millimeter tolerances and quality over time, but I don't know what the gently caress kind of precise science projects people are using them for. Most casual consumers seemed to be happy and indicated that they were basically identical to Buckyballs. If they're just a novelty then I'm sure they're fine. Actually I just looked it up and apparently some people were claiming they were a superior product all along.

Ror fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 19, 2013

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Maybe an odd request, but does anyone have any insight into capital punishment? In particular, I'm interested in the perspective of the people that have to carry out the death penalty; I've seen a few documentaries and such about the life of prisoners on death row, but realized I've never seen anything about the people that have to enforce the sentence.

I imagine nobody here has any direct experience with this (though of course if you do I'd be quite interested in hearing it), but I'm curious if there are any good reads on the subject available. Interviews, memoirs, etc. Hopefully this doesn't sound too morbid :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ror posted:

I remember there was a big stink between Buckyballs and Zen Magnets about rip-offs and quality. I think they were one of the first alternative products and they certainly seem to be the most established competitor. There are some videos that drone on about imperfections and millimeter tolerances and quality over time, but I don't know what the gently caress kind of precise science projects people are using them for. Most casual consumers seemed to be happy and indicated that they were basically identical to Buckyballs. If they're just a novelty then I'm sure they're fine. Actually I just looked it up and apparently some people were claiming they were a superior product all along.

I think there was more of a stink about kids potentially swallowing them and having the balls get in different parts of their intestines and then pinching and creating a lack of blood flow, cutting a hole and leading to septic shock. At least in the US.

I know "think of the children" :gonk: and all but that's a nasty way to go out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

johnny sack posted:

EBay is a little different. Use parentheses to group items and use commas for "or", like this:

"rockford fosgate" amp (a2,aii,a-2,a-ii,a two,a 2,a ii)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=%22rockford%20fosgate%22%20amp%20%28a2,aii,a-2,a-ii,a%20two,a%202,a%20ii%29&clk_rvr_id=452075091135

That'll search for the phrase "rockford fosgate" and the word "amp" plus any one of those other terms.