Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In Darkest Hour, is the 1933 starting date more suitable than the 1936 starting date? Will WW2 still happen properly etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Is this Ubik?
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?668913-Unhappy-with-march-of-eagles

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Lord Tywin posted:

So how does on get guys into forts? And why does my guys just stand around after battles not fleeing anywhere so my enemy can crush them over and over again?

You can give them an "order" to "Hide into fort" (it's a button on the army interface).

When defeated your armies should withdraw (except if they have no military access around) so might be a glitch ?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SkySteak posted:

In Darkest Hour, is the 1933 starting date more suitable than the 1936 starting date? Will WW2 still happen properly etc?

I think so. You get some more time to prepare, but you have to fight your way out of the Depression first. If you're playing as Germany, you can choose to elect the KPD and start the revolution, though it's pretty bare bones without mods.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Is there a resource that spells out the rules of cascading alliances and rules for change of war leader(EU3 5.2beta)?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Denmark the minor power, Sweden the major: :smug:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

I think so. You get some more time to prepare, but you have to fight your way out of the Depression first. If you're playing as Germany, you can choose to elect the KPD and start the revolution, though it's pretty bare bones without mods.

I was thinking of playing as Russia. Hoping it's a fun experience. Also old question but is IC building ever worth it?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SkySteak posted:

I was thinking of playing as Russia. Hoping it's a fun experience. Also old question but is IC building ever worth it?

It costs 5IC to build and the buildtime is a year, it's very much worth building up to a year or so before the war starts I believe. I haven't played the '33 scenario of DH much, but when I did (before the last few patches) AI America and USSR built up IC like crazy and had something like 500 effective IC by '40 or '41.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
At the very worst, IC building pays for itself in five years. This gets tighter with the time saved from the gearing bonus when building factories in series. So laying down the plans out of the gate in 36 starts to break even/pull ahead in terms of IC Days in 42, around the time the war really starts to kick in anyway. So unless you need really those points for some long-running project right away, or would lack the resources to keep them running, factories are a sound investment.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Lord Tywin posted:

So how does on get guys into forts? And why does my guys just stand around after battles not fleeing anywhere so my enemy can crush them over and over again?

birken posted:

Garrison units automatically move into the forts, for other units you need to activate the enter fort command. Units in forts makes it harder to effectively siege the fort (you need twice the number of men to be able to progress the siege), the fort level decides the maximum number of soldier that can count for this. They will also take part in defending against assaults.
Since the base garrison replenishes slowly and the fort takes some time to repair after a siege, there is usually a good strategy to leave a detachment of your own troops inside the fort to keep it from being liberated by smaller enemy detachments.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 19, 2013

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

YF-23 posted:

It costs 5IC to build and the buildtime is a year, it's very much worth building up to a year or so before the war starts I believe. I haven't played the '33 scenario of DH much, but when I did (before the last few patches) AI America and USSR built up IC like crazy and had something like 500 effective IC by '40 or '41.

That sounds amazingly fun, considering I plan to invade the US as Russia. I hope to make a Mechanised Russian army.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

SkySteak posted:

I hope to make a Mechanised Russian army.

Tukhachevsky hoped to do that too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

What's the deal with Napoleonic games with pictures of Napoleon that don't look anything like him? Seriously? Is there some kind of weird Napoleonic copyright going on that you can't actually have an accurate artistic representation of the guy?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Napoleon's left leg wasn't five feet long.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Behold Deformed Napoleon and his amazing Sausage Horse.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

A_Raving_Loon posted:

At the very worst, IC building pays for itself in five years. This gets tighter with the time saved from the gearing bonus when building factories in series. So laying down the plans out of the gate in 36 starts to break even/pull ahead in terms of IC Days in 42, around the time the war really starts to kick in anyway. So unless you need really those points for some long-running project right away, or would lack the resources to keep them running, factories are a sound investment.

IC doesn't get gearing bonuses in Darkest Hour.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gort posted:

IC doesn't get gearing bonuses in Darkest Hour.

Is it still worth trying in DH?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Is it still worth trying in DH?

Yes. As long as you start early.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
If you start early, keep it fed, and keep it safe. As Russia, you can handle all three pretty nicely. Just drop of a pile of tractor plants in Kazakhstan and you're good to go.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Should be doable at early 1934 given the nature of removing dissent.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That Napoleon did sort of look like him once....in 1795.

Thing is, when your Europes virtual Emperor and a General that Cannot Be Defeated you pretty much have enough money and influence to pay for the patronage of the best artists of the time to not give a gently caress about how you really looked.

It wasn't just him doing it, The Prince Regent of Britain did the same thing with own portraits.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His left leg is gigantic because of the amount of Austrian butt he had to kick :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm tempted to get March in a sale so me and couple of goon buddies can team up and rule all of Europe as the Ottoman Empire.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
How do you deal with the UK in MoTE? The wooden wall strategy pretty much means you can't touch them, other than maybe gibraltar/malta, and they don't seem to want to peace out with me. I think I'm just gonna start as a more central nation like Prussia now that I've figured out the game a bit.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Not content with repurposing Magna Mundi assets as "EUIV", the latest shocking chapter of Paradox's infamous reputation for plagiarism comes to light:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?668858-Was-my-logo-stolen-by-Paradox

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

KoldPT posted:

How do you deal with the UK in MoTE? The wooden wall strategy pretty much means you can't touch them, other than maybe gibraltar/malta, and they don't seem to want to peace out with me. I think I'm just gonna start as a more central nation like Prussia now that I've figured out the game a bit.

Can't you pick off their when they divide them? Prussia is a good choice I have been playing with them and concetrated on taking all German minors and beating up Austria. However the drat Russians invaded me and even though I got a warscore of 26 % they refused to accept anything other than me conceding defeat.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 19, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Freudian posted:

Not content with repurposing Magna Mundi assets as "EUIV", the latest shocking chapter of Paradox's infamous reputation for plagiarism comes to light:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?668858-Was-my-logo-stolen-by-Paradox

DEAR. GOD.

How could any human being be so stupid? :stare:

EDIT: Podcat admits the truth!

Podcat posted:

I feel its time to come clean. The truth is that I stole his logo to use for March of the Eagles. When I told the legal department they were horrified and very worried, but luckily when we started researching this we found out that it was in fact the official coat of arms for prussia and thus we are safe! Who would have though two people could come up with the same awesome bird picture hundreds of years apart.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

That thread is hilarious and is a beautiful example of the ugly, dippy side of their modding community.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

DEAR. GOD.

How could any human being be so stupid? :stare:

EDIT: Podcat admits the truth!

Did anyone else find it amusing that when the Paradox Devs post on their own forum it just looks like a goon forum invasion now?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Oh god that is so hilarious. He literally just took that prussian eagle picture and blacked it out.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Alchenar posted:

Did anyone else find it amusing that when the Paradox Devs post on their own forum it just looks like a goon forum invasion now?

It's beautiful and frankly, about time.

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

Due to taking a legitimate sick day yesterday (well-timed strep throat) I was able to beat March of the Eagles, playing as Spain. Took 8 hours. Spain's dominance goal provinces are fairly easy (a lot in North Africa and Italy which you can easily handle if you pick them up before other great powers can) but still require you to win multiple wars against Great Britain and France, then I had to dash over to conquer some of Russia's Turkish territory to take their land dominance below 100% (they are in fact under 100% despite what the victory screen here says).

I had the largest army by game's end and a workable navy but was way behind on ideas. I'm gonna try the Ottomans next after I rub my eyes for a while and get over the computer screen overexposure.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Another Darkest Hour question. Does devaluing currency permanently destroy any lost IC?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

KoldPT posted:

How do you deal with the UK in MoTE? The wooden wall strategy pretty much means you can't touch them, other than maybe gibraltar/malta, and they don't seem to want to peace out with me.

Congratulations, you're Napoleon.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SkySteak posted:

Another Darkest Hour question. Does devaluing currency permanently destroy any lost IC?

There are two opposing decisions:

1. Issue currency. Gives you some cash, lowers your IC multiplier. You'll have the same base amount of IC (the number before the slash), but less effective IC.

2. Money devaluation. Costs you some cash, raises your IC multiplier. Again, same base amount of IC (the number before the slash), but more effective IC.

SkySteak posted:

Is (building IC) still worth trying in DH?

Depends on the scenario you choose and who you're playing in it. As others have said, IC takes roughly five years to pay for itself, so it's not really worth building unless you've got that much run-up to the war.

You'd be an idiot to build IC in the 1914 scenario since the war starts basically immediately. The 1933 scenario is probably the best one to build IC in (since the IC will theoretically have paid for itself by the start of war in 1939) but most of the countries have major dissent problems that you'll have to sort out before the war begins. 1936 and later, I probably wouldn't bother. Countries like the USA and the USSR can build lots of extra IC and enjoy having a large number on their screen while winning the game, but you could probably build nothing at all from 1933 to 1945 as the USSR and still win due to your enormous starting army and airforce, and the USA has more IC than god anyway.

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 19, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nightblade posted:

Been playing it a couple of hours, and it seems like a really solid and fun game, but I'm disappointed in the lack in events\goals\generals\anything to do for minor powers.
Seriously. Minor nations don't even get units beyond basic infantry, artillery, and cavalry. There is no way to unlock units and there's no way to get more generals. Bavaria is one of the largest non-major powers and they don't even have enough generals to field a single army. Contrast that to Austria, who apparently has enough to give their garrisons leaders.

quote:

All the different types of units is a bit overwhelming, and this is especially confusing:
The game has a hard time differentiating between Guards, as in elite infantry, and Guards, as in city garrisons.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Really, what?

I'll admit, its a bit naughty of me, but Gettysburg: Armoured Warfare, even if it was only Paradox a publisher, was a month after CK2, unless I've messed up the timing somewhere.

Ill apologize for bringing that game up, though.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I gain more manpower per month than France.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lord Tywin posted:

I gain more manpower per month than France.

Switzerland being tilted weirdly to the right is bugging me more then it should. I can't unsee it. :(

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So many units are exactly the same. Great Britain, for instance, has Dragoons and Heavy Dragoons and Lancers, all of which are identical cavalry units. That doesn't even make sense, since there are different unit types for Dragoons and Heavy Cavalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

So many units are exactly the same. Great Britain, for instance, has Dragoons and Heavy Dragoons and Lancers, all of which are identical cavalry units. That doesn't even make sense, since there are different unit types for Dragoons and Heavy Cavalry.

It's got to be a legacy of the AGEOD version. "We paid for these good money for these unit icons, and we're going to use them all, dammit!"

• Locked thread