Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Jippa posted:

Is there a specific reason that people have moved too chrome? Or is it just personal preference?

I have chrome but I don't really see the difference on a browsing level, also ff seems to have more interesting add ons?

Of the vocal switchers, I think the general 'Firefox experience' of it must be your extensions/rebuild your profile/etc wore thin for the majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

the yeti posted:

Of the vocal switchers, I think the general 'Firefox experience' of it must be your extensions/rebuild your profile/etc wore thin for the majority.

There's also the h.264 support as well as the incredible amount of marketing Google has done positioning Chrome as faster, sleeker, more stable, etc.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Many of the people using Chrome now switched a while back when Chrome actually was significantly faster than FF. Now that they offer about the same level of performance, a lot of people don't want to switch back. FF's main advantage has always been its extensions and overall customizability; its extension framework is still much more powerful than Chrome's.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Chrome's multi-process model is nice for those of us still stuck having to deal with Java and Flash on a daily basis, though it's a total pig on memory compared to Firefox these days (and man does it still feel weird to type those words in that order).

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

the yeti posted:

This. Also (anecdotal) but a lot of people I know switched because Chrome feels faster. The UI is almost always responsive. You never feel "stuck" trying to do something like you do sometimes in FF. And it's always up to date, and extensions don't break as often.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jippa posted:

Is there a specific reason that people have moved too chrome? Or is it just personal preference?

I have chrome but I don't really see the difference on a browsing level, also ff seems to have more interesting add ons?

I use Chrome more than Firefox now a days.

Mostly because I got sick of having to wipe the profile just to fix things. I haven't been able to play Flash videos in Firefox ever since it updated and even before that. It just crashes any other time.

The only reason I use Firefox is due to the ability to have many more tabs open thanks to the Tab Groups and I can still download videos with Video Downloader...though it's impossible to play them since Flash doesn't work anymore.

Of course, I could make backups but that's just more hassle. Also, Firefox Sync is just horrible compared to Chrome. It just doesn't even work half the time. In fact, I just checked and it's "not currently working" right now and will try again later.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I switched to Chrome after Firefox got very laggy one day, and after wiping and starting from scratch Chrome was still noticeably snappier all around. Considering all I need are Adblock and Flashblock I had no reason to go back. Really it was the responsiveness of the scrolling that made the difference - no matter what I did, Firefox always seemed slow. For what it's worth, I had used Firefox exclusively almost since it was released until then.

Oh yeah, it crashed on Flash things as well. That was annoying.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Has anyone gotten Stratiform and Tree Style Tab not looking like poo poo together in FF18? Stratiform keeps trying to style the tabs, and it sucks.

Edit: Speaking of FF18, did anyone else see a serious regression in smooth-scrolling performance after upgrading?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 13, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hi guys, I shambled into this thread by accident but thought you knowledgable folks might help. Firefox has been my browser of choice since well, I guess forever if count my old Netscape days.

ANYHOW, I use Yahoo as my homepage, have for years too. However, I've noticed on Firefox it has some weird theme which I really don't like. First I thought it was a setting in Yahoo, but I looked all through my options and configurations and see nothing there. Then, I looked at in on IE and Chrome and it appeared as it always had, makes me think it is a browser setting.

Does anyone know if/what setting in firefox causes it to look like this:

I want it to look like this:

Thanks very much!

\/ just saw that, thanks \/

double edit: Heading out for the rest of the day now, so won't be able to respond until this PM if there are any questions. Appreciate the help!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 13, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

slidebite posted:

Hi guys, I shambled into this thread by accident but thought you knowledgable folks might help. Firefox has been my browser of choice since well, I guess forever if count my old Netscape days.

ANYHOW, I use Yahoo as my homepage, have for years too. However, I've noticed on Firefox it has some weird theme which I really don't like. First I thought it was a setting in Yahoo, but I looked all through my options and configurations and see nothing there. Then, I looked at in on IE and Chrome and it appeared as it always had, makes me think it is a browser setting.

Does anyone know if/what setting in firefox causes it to look like this:

I want it to look like this:

Thanks very much!
You linked the same image twice.

Edit: There you go! :)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

This is the first time I've looked at Yahoo in years, but based on the addition of infinite scrolling to the Firefox version, they're testing (or rolling out) a new update to their site design and haven't gotten around to Chrome and IE yet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

This is the first time I've looked at Yahoo in years, but based on the addition of infinite scrolling to the Firefox version, they're testing (or rolling out) a new update to their site design and haven't gotten around to Chrome and IE yet.
Yeah, it's pretty common for web companies to randomly select users to roll new features out to. Try a Private Browsing session; if you see the old layout, you've been given a magic cookie that sticks you on the new layout.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is there a plugin to hide Yahoo Answers from search results?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dominoes posted:

Is there a plugin to hide Yahoo Answers from search results?

Assuming you use Google and have an account, you can just block it here https://www.google.com/reviews/t

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

my stepdads beer posted:

All you font issue bros:
code:
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled: true;
    gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.use_gdi_table_loading: false;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_max_size: 6;
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families: ''; (delete the string)
    gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode: 5;
edit: if you're on windows
A recent update just hosed up all my fonts causing lots of random bolding or thin type. This fixed it. Thank you!

EDIT: Is there a way to stop quicktime from snatching mp4s in browser? It's set to always ask, but Quicktime apparently just does as it pleases.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 14, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Assuming you use Google and have an account, you can just block it here https://www.google.com/reviews/t
Thanks, that worked.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Outpost22 posted:

How can I get all my settings, preferences, bookmarks, that sort of thing, from Firefox on my old computer to my new computer? Is that what sync is used for or is that just for mobile devices?
I always just copy my entire profile manually from:

C:\Users\<accountname>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<randomcharacter>.default

Fire up Firefox onces on your new computer, close it, find the auto-generated profile directory, and copy the contents of the old directory into the new. It copies all extensions, bookmarks and settings. This has served me perfectly and I think I've been running off the same profile since FF3, on multiple computers.

Fangs404 posted:

Many of the people using Chrome now switched a while back when Chrome actually was significantly faster than FF. Now that they offer about the same level of performance, a lot of people don't want to switch back. FF's main advantage has always been its extensions and overall customizability; its extension framework is still much more powerful than Chrome's.
Yeah I remember Chrome being ridiculously fast at rendering when it first came out. However, at launch, it didn't even have extension support.

I'll stay with FF until Chrome implements a proper type-ahead find. :colbert: However, I do use Chrome for watching videos (Youtube, television on-demand and such), which fits nicely for me as I can keep it in a separate window on my secondary monitor, without interfering with my always-open FF window on my main monitor. Chrome is usually better at viewing Flash and is of course always good at showing YouTube, so I'm pretty happy with it.

I think a lot of it is also just hype or attraction to shiny things that move fast (Chrome). Each browser has their ups and downs.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Just installed a new version of flash... time to see what level of fuckery they achieved this time

I tried Chrome but I found that: 1. I'm addicted to my extensions; 2. I find Chrome's "behaviour" bad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I could never give up my extensions, and for some reason I find Chrome really unattractive. And I hate its download manager for some reason, even though FF's is pretty lovely too.

All browsers are lovely, I guess, so I just stick with the one I'm super-nested in.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I could never give up my extensions, and for some reason I find Chrome really unattractive. And I hate its download manager for some reason, even though FF's is pretty lovely too.

All browsers are lovely, I guess, so I just stick with the one I'm super-nested in.

I found the firefox download manager much less annoying after installing download manager tweak.

It adds a few new things to it, but the big bonus is it lets you put it in a tab instead of a window.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Misogynist posted:

Yeah, it's pretty common for web companies to randomly select users to roll new features out to. Try a Private Browsing session; if you see the old layout, you've been given a magic cookie that sticks you on the new layout.

It was a cookie. Thanks!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Has anyone tried using the new nightly Firefox build with the Windows 8 metro version? I have downloaded and installed the correct version, and followed the instructions for setting it as the default browser, but I can't seem to be able to get the Metro version to work; everything is opening in the desktop.

Has anyone else had problems getting it to work?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
After yesterdays Flash 11.6 release I don't see any ads on SA anymore, frontpage or forums.
Works fine on the other sites I whitelisted in adblock+, but something about how SA loads them is busted :smith:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Any way to make it so that when I open a link in a new tab (middle-click / ctrl-click), the new tab inherits the parent tab's history?

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?
I'm unfamiliar if you can do that exactly, but with TabMixPlus you can right-click the tab and duplicate it (which also duplicates history), then follow the link as normal.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You don't need TabMixPlus for duplicating a tab, you can just middle click on the refresh icon (or Alt-D > Alt-Enter, apparently).

There are some extensions made for 'open in new tab with history', but they all seem either not updated since FF3 or broken (ie occasionally pick up the history of a different tab).

The only one that promises it and doesn't have terrible reviews is Tab Utilities, where it's merely an afterthought. But that seems like it would conflict with TabMixPlus, which I use, so I'm not going to test it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

The only one that promises it and doesn't have terrible reviews is Tab Utilities, where it's merely an afterthought. But that seems like it would conflict with TabMixPlus, which I use, so I'm not going to test it.
Thanks! That did the trick, and it doesn't seem to conflict with Tree-Style Tabs or FabTabs, either.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Aurora 20 on OSX here.

Every time I open up a URL link from another application (Mail, IRC) it opens it in a new window.

What do I have to change in about:config to fix this (I want it to open in a tab)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Modus Trollens posted:

Aurora 20 on OSX here.

Every time I open up a URL link from another application (Mail, IRC) it opens it in a new window.

What do I have to change in about :config to fix this (I want it to open in a tab)
Does Firefox, Options, Tabs, "Open new windows in a new tab instead" do this? I'm at work and use Windows, but I think that's how Aurora behaves for me with that option set.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Alereon posted:

Does Firefox, Options, Tabs, "Open new windows in a new tab instead" do this? I'm at work and use Windows, but I think that's how Aurora behaves for me with that option set.

yeah this was the first thing I checked to make sure I wasn't an idiot

e: also tried changing

browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external to 3 (from -1, basically hardcoding in the preference rule)

Modus Trollens fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 18, 2013

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Modus Trollens posted:

yeah this was the first thing I checked to make sure I wasn't an idiot

e: also tried changing

browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external to 3 (from -1, basically hardcoding in the preference rule)
What extensions are you running, if any? This sounds like the obvious answer to me ... Otherwise something is strange indeed. Clean profile clean profile etc ... :)

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Marinmo posted:

What extensions are you running, if any? This sounds like the obvious answer to me ... Otherwise something is strange indeed. Clean profile clean profile etc ... :)

None seem particularly problematic to me. Not sure I want to deal with reinstalling all my addons/scripts/stylesheets tbh

Might try the disable all/one by one approach

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, since I've done a format and reinstall, I've noticed that periodically Firefox likes to bring my download window (ctrl-j) up from behind. This seems to happen with no set schedule or apparent reason at all. I've never had it happen with Firefox before. Any idea what the deal is? Running 18.0.2

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Updated the title as Firefox 19 is out and is awesome. The Burning Edge has also been updated with the cool stuff that will be in Aurora 21 when it's out.

Edit: The latest Memshrink project update has also been released. Memshrink is the project to make Firefox use memory more efficiently. Areweslimyet.com is a site that tracks progress on Firefox memory usage. You can see that recently (12/16~01/31) there was a spike in memory usage that was corrected before the cut-off for Aurora 21. Another similar site is Arewefastyet.com, which tracks Firefox JavaScript performance.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 20, 2013

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I'm on the stable channel, so this is the fist time I've seen the JS PDF reader in action. It seems to work amazingly well. I'm really impressed.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Probably a long shot, but does anyone have a workaround for this annoying bug/feature?
Inline autocomplete selects HTTPS domain against HTTP domain by default

In a nutshell, if you hit any https page on a domain, inline autocomplete for the domain will default to https from now on. It's incredibly annoying, and the only way I can find around it is to type out the full 'http://www.url.com'.

For example, if you've ever bought anything from GoG.com, you'll likely hit this problem. Type in gog.com in your address bar and hit Enter. It will likely take you to https://www.gog.com which doesn't work.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

I'm on the stable channel, so this is the fist time I've seen the JS PDF reader in action. It seems to work amazingly well. I'm really impressed.
Text rendering is butt compared to Chrome, but the user interface is otherwise really nice. The other lovely thing is that unlike Chrome's PDF reader, it needs the whole document to be downloaded before it will render anything.

Edit: Here's an IBM Redbook in Firefox, and then again in Chrome:

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 20, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Misogynist posted:

Text rendering is butt, but the user interface is otherwise really nice.

Fixed. I want to like it, and it seems like it's almost really nice. But the text rendering really is awful.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

JBark posted:

Probably a long shot, but does anyone have a workaround for this annoying bug/feature?
Inline autocomplete selects HTTPS domain against HTTP domain by default

In a nutshell, if you hit any https page on a domain, inline autocomplete for the domain will default to https from now on. It's incredibly annoying, and the only way I can find around it is to type out the full 'http://www.url.com'.

For example, if you've ever bought anything from GoG.com, you'll likely hit this problem. Type in gog.com in your address bar and hit Enter. It will likely take you to https://www.gog.com which doesn't work.

No, but I've definitely encountered this bug, and it's super frustrating.

Also, good point on the text rendering. I hadn't noticed that, but now I definitely notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

poo poo, PDFs with native font rendering. Firefox is the best browser ever made.